LEDs and Rust Detection

PDA

Geronimo45
May 10, 2007, 11:53 PM
I've got a mini-Maglite with the LED conversion. Last night, I chanced to sweep my CZ 70 with it - and noticed splotches of rust. They were very easy to see, BTW, in that light. When morning came, the rust spots were pretty hard to detect. You had to stare at the gun pretty close to notice 'em.

LEDs are very good at showing up rust - for me, anyways. Anybody else notice this?

If you enjoyed reading about "LEDs and Rust Detection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hankdatank1362
May 11, 2007, 12:16 AM
Polarized sunglasses always worked best for me!

Sylvan-Forge
May 11, 2007, 01:28 AM
I've noticed that too, Geronimo45.

Sounds like some kind of wavelength refraction something-or-other.

Can someone explain these phenomena?

clipse
May 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
My guess would be the blueish light make the reddish rust show up better. Kinda how some hunters will use a blue filter to track blood. :) Just my guess.

115grfmj
May 11, 2007, 09:42 AM
I had the same thing happen with my 870....otherwise completely invisible rust splotches were plainly obvious under high intensty light:eek: .

Joe Demko
May 11, 2007, 09:46 AM
Color is determined by what part of the spectrum is reflected and what part is absorbed. If the spots contrast with the surrounding metal, it is because they reflect more of the light from the LED than the finish on the surrounding metal (or vice versa).

Dionysusigma
May 11, 2007, 10:25 AM
Ditto here, except I use a Brinkman headlamp. Found it out one night when the power was off and I was press-checking my 1911. :scrutiny: :uhoh:

Shipwreck
May 11, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hey, thanks for that tip - I can make use of that in the future!

obxned
May 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
This is a very good thing to know, since now we can catch the rust problem much earlier!

DoubleTapDrew
May 11, 2007, 07:04 PM
I'll make sure to keep my X5 away from my springfield XD then. I don't want to cry, :o
I did notice it much more under certain light (I think under flourescent lights in the shop is where I first noticed the reddish hue on the slide).

If you enjoyed reading about "LEDs and Rust Detection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!