National "Celebrate A Warrior" Day

PDA

Angio333
May 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
National “Celebrate a Warrior” Day

By Ken Hanson Esq.

Edited by Jim Irvine and Dean Rieck

I worry about my children.

I am only 37 years old, yet I am already worrying about what kind of adults my kids’ generation will be. My generation, by and large, did not fight any wars, as there were no real conflicts when I was growing up. My first recollection of conflict was that some scraggly looking people took a group of American’s hostage for over a year and we did nothing about it. All I remember beyond that is some footage from a small island in the Caribbean that hosted a medical school. I vaguely remember the Falklands and Panama. Next thing I knew the Berlin wall came down and Saddam committed the Mother of All Mistakes. The Great Cold War we were raised to be ready for ended without a whimper.

Against this backdrop, I am raising children that are not allowed to play dodge ball in gym class, since that would be teaching them violence and aggression.. My kids are forced to go to bullying workshops, and there is “zero tolerance” for them handling bullies in the time-honored fashion. Schools routinely agonize over whether it is okay to give grades to a student when you consider the emotional scarring it might cause to call someone a failure. I cannot understand my daughter’s report cards because all of the grades are like “meets expectations, exceeds expectations, progressing….” Um, so is she doing okay in school? Is this an A, a B…?

First graders are now taught conflict resolution. “Stop, we have a problem. When you take my toy, it makes me feel angry.” “I see that I have made you angry. I did not want to make you feel……” My wife just finished her Masters in Education and I typed most of her papers from her dictation. I remember thinking to myself, “If I had tried that insane type of stunt, I would not have eaten lunch my whole first grade year”. So my generation, which did not, by and large, engage in any mass conflicts is now forcing large amounts of milquetoast down the throats of our children.

If somehow a child is having problems, it is the system’s fault. We put together an intervention team and offer additional services to children. If that doesn’t work, the child is probably suffering from some mental disease that was only recently discovered, for which a pill may be given to make it all right. The default mindset is now “It is probably (extraneous source’s) fault. The government/school/police should fix that.”

When did self-reliance and responsibility for actions become a mindset that should be attacked by the intelligentsia? We have an entire generation of adults right now that first and foremost looks to other people to solve our problems. Divorce rates are sky high, personal bankruptcy is through the roof, our court systems are crippled, we pass laws as fast as they can print them, Katrina was so bad because FEMA didn’t get there to handout $2,000 ATM cards quick enough…. All of these things have one element in common: people are not taking total responsibility for their self.

You can read the entire article here:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3731.html

If you enjoyed reading about "National "Celebrate A Warrior" Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ZeSpectre
May 11, 2007, 10:32 AM
Reminds me of a conversation I had a number of years back. (I was dating a woman who had three kids ranging from ages 6 to 15). We kept having these little bits of friction over how we treated the kids and finally one day I asked her what her ultimate goal was for her kids. She told me that she'd never really thought about it (15 years a parent and she'd NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT???) but she supposed it was for them to be happy and healthy.

Then she looked at me and asked me what my goals were. I told her my ultimate goal was to produce responsible and self-sufficient offspring who would know how to take care of themselves and who would contribute to society.

She said something like "what you want to throw them out on their own?" I said "no, I want them to be prepared to be out on their own so I don't wind up babysitting a 20 or 30 year old who should be able to run his/her own life by then".

She looked at me like I'd grown three more heads and we called it quits not too long afterwards.

jamesish
May 11, 2007, 02:37 PM
I don't have children, but it is an issue I am facing in my reserve career.

I am a Sergeant of the older school.... even in the 7 years I've been in things have changed drastically. We are a much "kinder, gentler" army.

The one thing I've realized is that you can only change things you are in direct control of, and you will only raise your blood pressure fuming about that which you don't control.

If you are assigned to my team, you will be squared-away. You will have that old-school attitude and will be trained to do the job below you and the job above you.

I will take the same initiative as a parent. Teaching self-sufficiency, and to work for the good of others and be a contributing member of society.

The laws / policies that we can argue against we argue against... but besides for that only the man upstairs knows where we are going as a society.

I think in the next few generations it will make a turn back for the better. We are still dealing with the first generation of off-spring from those dispicable hippies of the 60's and 70's that never had a purpose but to insult and demean those that worked towards goals.

:::blech::: Hippies.

Senator Obama made a very good point in one of his speeches, I'm paraphrasing though:

Since the Vietnam war we have had the same politics, and the same issues debated over and over again in a chasing our tail way. It's time for the next generation to step up.

Can't you just imagine the same debates that go on in the Senate chambers going on in the dorm rooms of Yale and Harvard some 30 - 40 years ago?

We need someone in office that is not of that us-vs-them generation. The hippies vs the elitists.

I just hope there is a candidate that fills that bill this time... We've had nothing but Morons running for the past 16 years.

If you enjoyed reading about "National "Celebrate A Warrior" Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!