Surprising Ad in Time Magazine

PDA

phylament
May 11, 2007, 02:52 PM
I was shocked when I looked at the back cover of the Time magazine that came in the company mail today. There was an ad from Allstate titled as follows:

"The #1 killer of teenagers doesn't have a trigger.
IT HAS A STEERING WHEEL."

I know it is true, but I am surprised that Time magazine would actually allow an advertisement like this. Good for them. I hope it isn't a pipe dream, but I think we are slowly changing the misconceptions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surprising Ad in Time Magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
May 11, 2007, 02:58 PM
No doubt they'll soon be calling for steering wheel locks, and having all cars stored under lock and key at the police department lot.

MK11
May 11, 2007, 02:59 PM
I hope so but the back cover of a magazine is premium space and worth much $$$$$$. I don't doubt Time would run an ad directly from the NRA if they coughed up the dough.

Jim K
May 11, 2007, 04:42 PM
That old "number one killer of..." line has been used by just about every group known to promote their agenda. The statistics can be twisted and distorted beyond belief. "Young men" can be any male from 1 to 49; "teens" can be from 13 to 27. An article ranting against the death penalty cited a "youth" who had been sentenced to die; only at the very end was it revealed that the "youth" was 37 when he committed the crime.

One favorite of the anti-gun gang is that "violence is the number one killer of young men and teenagers." They picture an "evil" gun, but they include auto accidents, and all suicides and homicides, under "violence." (if the reader thinks it is just gun killings, that is his problem).

When you think about it, and if "violence" includes just about everything but natural causes, what else would kill a healthy young group of males? Breast cancer, maybe?

Jim

Vern Humphrey
May 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
The number one killer of young children is drowning -- but you don't see the VPC ranting about outlawing swimming pools and buckets, do you?

skinnyguy
May 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
Intensive research has shown that 98.47% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surprising Ad in Time Magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!