Where did you learn Gunsmithing?

PDA

AugustusMcCrae
May 11, 2007, 03:22 PM
I thought about posting this in the Gunsmithing forum but wasn't sure if I should. If the mods see fit to delete or move it, I don't mind.

I was just wondering where I would go to learn gunsmithing as a job. Is there any place in Triad, NC area where you could learn it or what?:confused:

Is it hard to find work as a gunsmith? Does it pay a liveable wage or is it just something to do as a hobby?:confused:

Thanks for the advice.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Where did you learn Gunsmithing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chad
May 11, 2007, 04:14 PM
Idealy look for an old experienced smith who would take on an apprentice.
A young man in my extended family has done that in knife making and leather working and stands to be in a position to earn a good living in a few years.

I learned in my garage because there aren't any gunsmiths around here any more and I had to learn to do it myself. The last few I knew all said that people weren't willing to pay for quality work so they retired or just quit.

Good luck.

oneshooter
May 11, 2007, 04:23 PM
USMC, Small arms repair. Spent most of my time teaching on the range at Parris Island!:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

SIOP
May 11, 2007, 04:32 PM
Prison.

Just kidding.

James T Thomas
May 11, 2007, 04:37 PM
It is not NC, but the Pennsylvania Gunsmithing School, Ohio River Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA.

I do not know why they stopped making the Pennsylvania rifles here; such good guns, and now the industries are all out of state. Same thing for the Connestoga wagons.

Maybe then I do afterall. Taxes. Harrisburg, PA.

ZeSpectre
May 11, 2007, 04:49 PM
Now I freely admit that I'm a "shadetree gunsmith". I know how to do a bunch of stuff...and know when I'm out of my depth and shouldn't attempt something.

What I learned was from Uncle #1 (automotive mechanic), Uncle #2 (aerospace machineist) and a LOT of reading.

I still have a long way to go before I'd ever dare hang up a shingle though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where did you learn Gunsmithing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!