13 Year old found with loaded gun in School

PDA

TheDisturbed1
May 11, 2007, 09:43 PM
:uhoh:

I cant find any articles that have been drawn up yet, but this is all over the radio here..

I guess a 13-year old was found in Barnett Elementary School in Fairbanks Alaska with a Ruger .44 Magnum with 65 rounds of ammunition and a Medal Of Honor: Pacific Assault computer game...

:uhoh:
I'm gonna look for articles... if there isnt any, It'll be on the 6 o'clock news and if not, I'm sure the newspaper will have it up by midnight.

If you enjoyed reading about "13 Year old found with loaded gun in School" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PrimaryB
May 11, 2007, 09:58 PM
Why did I view this thread? :banghead:

Edit; Why did I respond?

1911Tuner
May 11, 2007, 10:36 PM
Wasn't it W.C. Fields who said:

"Now I know why tigers eat their young."

FMJMIKE
May 11, 2007, 10:40 PM
The owner of the Ruger should go to jail. Idiots who let their children take their guns are gonna ruin it for all responsible gun owners.:mad:

General Geoff
May 11, 2007, 10:42 PM
This is what happens when kids have no supervised exposure to firearms.

Blame the parents.

TheDisturbed1
May 11, 2007, 11:10 PM
ok... i just watched the news report, turns out he had 86 rounds of additional ammunition, a 6-inch fixed blade knife, Medal of Honor game disc, and the stainless ruger .44 magnum.. (which was loaded)

They said that they didnt know how he got the weapons or who owned them, nor whether the student planned on using it or not.. but they sent the kid to the hospital for a psych evaluation

Turns out that a kid overheard him talking about his gun, and so he reported it to one of the school staff...

I'm still looking for any online articles

TheOld Man
May 11, 2007, 11:50 PM
How times have changed. I bought my first gun (Mossberg .22 rifle) at 12, put it over the handlebars of my bike and rode home from the store with it. At 13, I picked up a .38 S&W 2" barrel. I can't remember anybody ever saying anything about it until I was in my 20's and moved to California.

TheDisturbed1
May 12, 2007, 07:56 AM
Pulled from: http://newsminer.com/2007/05/12/6958
Student got weapons at home
By Margaret Friedenauer
Staff Writer
Published May 12, 2007

The gun brought to school by a 13-year-old Barnette Magnet School student Thursday belonged to the boy’s parents, according to Fairbanks Police.

Police chief Dan Hoffman said the boy brought the six-shot Ruger .44-caliber revolver, 89 rounds of ammunition and fixed blade knife from home to school Thursday. A teacher found out about the weapon and notified school officials and the school’s safety officer, who notified police. By the time officers arrived, the safety officer had confronted the student and secured the backpack and weapons.

Hoffman and school officials praised the actions of students that led to the weapons being confiscated.

“Thank you so much for your continued discussions as a family regarding the importance of telling someone of any potentially harmful situation,” Barnette principal Kathie Weaver wrote in a letter to parents on Friday. “We are proud of our students for following this rule very carefully.”

Hoffman said he was not yet ready to comment on if — or how — the student had plans to use the weapons at school.

The student was detained by police and is under psychiatric care, according to police. Hoffman said no other students were involved.

As a magnet school for kindergarten through eighth-graders, Barnette has a flex schedule, meaning students keep a variety of schedules. Classes were just ending for the day Thursday when the student’s weapons were discovered, so lockdown procedures were not implemented, said Lynda Sather, spokeswoman for the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District.

“It was so close to when the majority of the students were leaving for the day and they were fairly confident they had contained the situation and the safest thing to do was to let the rest of the students go home,” she said.

Officials and administrators will meet in the next couple weeks, Sather said, to review the incident.

“We feel we have good protocol in place and it worked,” Sather said. “I think what this does affirm is that our crisis plan works well and depends heavily on good communication between adults and students and that was very evident in this case.”

The student, a seventh-grader, attended Barnette part-time, Sather said, through a home-schooling program. Home-school students often take part in certain in-school activities. The student usually attended classes at Barnette in the afternoon, Sather said.

Officials sent an e-mail to most parents Thursday evening saying that there had been an incident at school. Sather said some parents didn’t have e-mail addresses so may not have heard the news until Friday morning. Weaver’s letter was sent out Friday. In it, Weaver wrote that the student who had the weapons will not be returning to Barnette. She wrote also that there were extra counselors and support for students, parents and staff at the school Friday.

Parent Jason Crawford has four children enrolled at Barnette. He said his family received the e-mail from district officials about the incident Thursday evening, but were not aware that a gun and ammunition had been confiscated from a student.

“In the e-mail from the principal, it said there had been an incident at school, it had been taken care of and no one was hurt,” Crawford said. “But it didn’t give us any of the details that as a parent, I would have liked to have.”

Still, Crawford said even if he had known the full extent of the incident he would have allowed his children to return to school Friday.

“I think after something like this, the day after is the safest day to go to school,” he said. “I’m not going to pull my kids out of there because of this. It could happen at any school.”

Contact staff writer Margaret Friedenauer at 459-7545 or mfriedenauer@newsminer.com.

How sad... He did get it from his parents

Dorryn
May 12, 2007, 09:30 AM
I guess a 13-year old was found in Barnett Elementary School in Fairbanks Alaska with a Ruger .44 Magnum with 65 rounds of ammunition and a Medal Of Honor: Pacific Assault computer game...

The fact that he had a video game is irrelevant. Unless, of course, you believe games cause crime/violence. Unless youre trying to argue that he was hunting down Nazis with a Ruger...

TheDisturbed1
May 12, 2007, 09:34 AM
Of course, they are gonna blame it on the games :p

Besides, I think Pacific Assault is killing communist Japanese...

in this world, ya never know.

Geno
May 12, 2007, 09:43 AM
I own Medal of Honor. It never made me take my weapons to school. :confused: Of course, my version is European.

How could this kid get his parents' pistol if it was locked up? You can't just simply hide a firearm from children...they're little detectives. I'll bet in the future they'll be buying a vault...a massive, heavy, steel vault, with a big lock. That's how you keep kids safe from their temporary immaturity.

mole
May 12, 2007, 09:55 AM
She wrote also that there were extra counselors and support for students, parents and staff at the school Friday.

Why? Have people become so feeble minded that they can't handle this by themselves? "No one got hurt, but let me tell you what to think anyway."

CZ.22
May 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
This gives a bad name to 13 year old shooters everywhere...like me.

If you enjoyed reading about "13 Year old found with loaded gun in School" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!