gun cartoon in poor taste

PDA

atek3
May 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comics/020.gif
http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comics/021.gif
http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comics/022.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "gun cartoon in poor taste" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Loucks
May 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
This is old news. You can read more about it at Boing Boing (http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/03/webcomic_artist_fire.html). It's not really that big a deal, IMHO. The comic was in slightly poor taste, but he did have a point. :rolleyes:

More importantly, it's funny!

js
May 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
Liberal anti-gun BS...?

joab
May 11, 2007, 11:10 PM
Seems more like anti knee jerk hysteria to me

.cheese.
May 11, 2007, 11:21 PM
Summary:

Comic by itself = kind of dumb
The whole part about intentionally buying a gun that it's hard to kill somebody with = dumb
The fact that it's based on a real event = even dumber
The fact that the comic is creating ripples from the message = sewee-usly dum
Police equating terrorism to somebody creating a cartoon criticizing being fired from work for mentioning guns = entirely moronic!

I think I need some of this:

http://newsfromrussia.com/images/newsline/Tylenol.jpg

MikeH
May 11, 2007, 11:25 PM
It's not poor taste. It's just too real.

That's why I almost never talk about guns at work, and if I do only with people who know me well.

roscoe
May 11, 2007, 11:35 PM
Liberal anti-gun BS...?
Just how, please, could it possibly be construed as that? Talk about knee-jerk!

JesseL
May 11, 2007, 11:42 PM
A work environment that disallowed talking about guns would feel pretty hostile to me.:mad:

I've had a Romanian AK parts kit on my shelf at work for the better part of a year, I have all the rounds in my .sig in a row on my desk, I carry everyday, and I leave copies of Guns & Ammo in the break room. :cool:

If I'm making anyone uncomfortable, they're not saying much about it (though I doubt anyone is too uncomfortable, I know at least half of them have their CCW too).:neener:

joab
May 12, 2007, 12:11 AM
The whole part about intentionally buying a gun that it's hard to kill somebody with = dumbWhen I was a kid first guns were usually either .22s or 410s

the conventional wisdom in my family's circles was that a .22 was a better option because the kid could shot himself almost anywhere a kid could accidentally shoot himself with much less chance of serious damage compared to a 410

While the mentality may be strange to some it does have some basis in American mindset about guns.

The author is also trying to convey that a person who has deliberately chosen a gun that would not kill someone is being lumped in with a mass murderer

rkh
May 12, 2007, 12:55 AM
When I left Georgia for this northern bastion of liberal politics, I quickly learned a similar lesson. Although I never talked about shooting people or tacticool nonsense, I found that guns just aren't an acceptable topic of polite conversation here.

The first rule of Connecticut Gun Club: YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT CONNECTICUT GUN CLUB. :(

massnee
May 12, 2007, 01:08 AM

Zundfolge
May 12, 2007, 01:12 AM
The comic artist used his strip to complain about real events that happened to him (he was fired for talking about buying a .22) then after his comics were posted the police hassled him claiming it was a “borderline terroristic threat.”

This was all discussed already here http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=274970

cbsbyte
May 12, 2007, 02:26 AM
Well the moral of this story is not to talk about person interests at work. Now if you know your co workers well enough to know they have similar interests than it might be ok, but in big offices it is a good idea to keep one's personal life out of the work place. In todays society it is so easy to offend someone over the most minor comment.

js
May 12, 2007, 04:23 AM
Just how, please, could it possibly be construed as that? Talk about knee-jerk!

guess you must have missed the "?"

I'm not familar with the cartoonist, so I have no idea of what his intentions are... hence the question mark. Talk about jumping to conclusions...

fletcher
May 12, 2007, 08:18 AM
The comic looks horribly sarcastic, or the author is just plain stupid.

budney
May 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
The interesting comic is #2. On the one hand, it's easy to understand how the coworker got freaked out: the guy went on at great length detailing exactly what he'd have to do to kill someone with a .22, in lurid detail. Whatever it is you're talking about, the more details you add, the less it sounds like a hypothetical observation and the more like a carefully thought-out battle plan.

But of course my sympathies run completely with the motor-mouth. Being a talker with a vivid imagination, I've done the same sort of thing dozens of times. If a coworker made a crack about going postal, I could easily see the conversation going on for another ten minutes, and sounding more and more like a planning session.

"How would you cover all the exits?"
"Well, there are three of us, and five exits..." :evil:

--Len.

armedandsafe
May 12, 2007, 03:29 PM
I owned a consulting firm in SoCal for about 20 years. A secretary for one of my clients used to rag on me constantly for "ruining the environment" because I was a backpacker in "Wilderness Areas." She also went shooting with us. :what: Not all stereotypes fit all types.

Pops

WeedWhacker
May 13, 2007, 01:53 AM
Bottom line:

You do not have a right to "feel safe".

The comic, drawn by someone other than Matt, the person who was actually fired, is absolutely hilarious, moreso because of the excellent facial expressions. I am terribly sorry that such amusement came at the expense of Matt's primary revenue source.

The company who had employed Matt overreacted in the extreme. Such businesses and practices I do not care for.

If you enjoyed reading about "gun cartoon in poor taste" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!