442 range report...Good and bad

PDA

C-grunt
May 12, 2007, 03:16 PM
Ill start off with the bad.....its nothing against the gun. This was supposed to be my wifes CCW but she doesnt like it.:( The recoil hurts her hand a lot. She can handle it but it is painfull for her. So know she wants to look into a small 9mm.

So the good news...She gave it to me and its one of my departments authorized backup\off duty guns.:D :D

There is a reason why so many people carry these things. This little snub is way more accurate than it has any right to be. I only shot it at 5 yards today, but if I did my part it would put all 5 rounds into one jagged hole. I can see why she doesnt like it as it is a bit of a handful. We were shooting Remington 130 grn FMCs and Speer 135 +Ps. Interesting note on the Speers was that I didnt find them to kick much more than the Remington. Its a little sharper but not any worse on the hand. Im going to work on my dry firing to maybe lighten the trigger a little (this might be wishful thinking though).

Overall I give this gun an A+.

If you enjoyed reading about "442 range report...Good and bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spiff_P239
May 12, 2007, 05:07 PM
Nice choice of a gun. I have the M&P 340 and found that it's not too harsh on the recoil, at least not nearly as bad as some would have had me believe. On the other hand, I can understand why some women (and some men, for that matter) would not enjoy shooting it. I think the fact that I have small hands makes it easier for me as the grip is just the right size for me. Good luck in finding a carry gun for the missus.

C-grunt
May 12, 2007, 08:01 PM
Well we went to the gun shop today and she has taken a liking to the Glock 26.

armed85
May 12, 2007, 10:12 PM
Have you considered renting a 640? It's the same size, but it's stainless steel rather than aluminium, so it's heavier and will have less recoil. There's also the Ruger SP101.

I like being able to shoot the same ammo in all my defensive guns. Of course, YMMV.

pv74
May 13, 2007, 11:47 AM
I carry a Keltec P3AT in .380. It is light and small, so I carry it nearly anytime I am downtown. It doesn't cost a bundle either. However, it is a bit uncomfortable to shoot, but I don't care. The tradeoff is worth it for me. I can put all 7 rounds into the chest of a paper bad guy at 10 yards.

I would take a look at a Springfield XD compact in 9mm. It is a sweet little gun. I am half tempted to buy one myself :evil:

Haywood
May 13, 2007, 05:25 PM
I have the S&W mdl. 37. You are right about accurate. How is it that the S&W Snubs are such good shooters. I have a few Taraus Snubs, A Ruger, Colt, Rossi, and a Charter. Most are 357. I felt I was a fair to good shooter with a 2" gun. The first time I shot that little 37 I could feel my mouth drop open as I looked at the tight group.
As for the recoil, try some Pachmayr Compacts, they will give the Wife a little more to hang on to.

If you enjoyed reading about "442 range report...Good and bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!