There IS hope for America.

PDA

BHPshooter
May 13, 2007, 02:15 PM
Yesterday a family (Mom, Dad, 4 children) came in the shop looking for .22s.

The mother, who I would guess to be in her late twenties/early thirties was essentially the leader, and she was there for probably an hour trying to decide which ones she wanted.

Apparently, as her Mother's Day present, she wanted to get 3 .22 rifles so that the whole family would have something to shoot when they went out, in addition to their handguns (which I gathered were .22 and .40), a 9mm carbine, and their AR-15.

I usually won't bust in with unsolicited commentary unless prompted, so I just let them browse while I hunted down some special orders. However, I try to always keep an ear open so that I'll know when I'm needed.

That's when it happened.

Their second-youngest, a boy that couldn't have been over 4, was watching Mommy pick up and shoulder the guns for fit.

"Mommy, did you know that all guns are always loaded?" :what: :) :cool:
"That's right, honey. What's the second rule?"

I stood there with my mouth agape as this knee-high youngster repeated Cooper's 4 Rules, only slightly distorting Rule #4 (Be sure of your target and what is beyond it).

I praised the folks. I had to. Even though I have been shooting from a very young age, I never had the rules told to me except at the range, which wasn't enough for me to recite them. I can't tell you the feeling that I felt... It defies my vocabulary. Suffice it to say that the feeling was almost spiritual.

At this point, the mom asked for my help comparing the different .22s. I then became impressed with how much this woman liked guns -- "I have a total gun fetish. We love shooting." -- and how casual she made it seem... like everybody does. Like it was just the same as liking motorcycles or movies or cuisine.

They were probably there for almost 2 hours when all was said and done, and the children were remarkably behaved, especially for their ages (1-7, I'm guessing).

When the family left, they ended up taking with them a Marlin Model 60, a Ruger 10/22, and a Marlin bolt action (Model 925, IIRC). But before they left, the same little tike repeated the Eddie Eagle rules for his dad verbatim. :eek: :D

It seems pretty easy to get discouraged when your hobby, your job, and your entire raison d'etre is a thing that is constantly under cultural and political attack. Today I got to see one of those rare glimpses of hope, suggesting that maybe the future could be a little brighter than we sometimes fear.

It also impressed upon me the importance of getting others into the sport; specifically women and children. If children are the future of shooting, Women are the immediate future of shooting.

Share the joy! Who have you spoken to today, whom it hasn't even dawned on you to invite shooting?

Wes

If you enjoyed reading about "There IS hope for America." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jpk1md
May 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
Great post!

pax
May 13, 2007, 02:43 PM
Heartwarming story. :)

We are not alone!

pax

skinnyguy
May 13, 2007, 03:13 PM
That shows what I've always thought to be the best safety feature of any firearm, EARLY EDUCATION.

It also shows that there are parents that are involved in the lives of their children, the subject does not matter, but parental involvment does.

Looks like there are 4 more responsible, respectful, safe gun owners on the way in a few years.

qajaq59
May 13, 2007, 03:29 PM
Amazing what a little parenting can do, isn't it?

Too bad it isn't highly contagious.

RocketMan
May 13, 2007, 03:50 PM
How I love warm, fuzzy stories like this. :)

kmrcstintn
May 13, 2007, 04:03 PM
ooohhh...I'm warm and fuzzy all over...thank you for the pick-me-up story!

alucard0822
May 13, 2007, 04:09 PM
That story warms the heart, those kids are very fortunate to have parents that are that involved. They will probably grow up happy, become sucessful and live fulfilling lives. It's too bad most kids want to be like some looser celebrity when they grow up in this day and age, and a lot of people will argue that there are too few good role models around, but it only takes a loving and involved parent to ensure a good life for children.

beaucoup ammo
May 13, 2007, 04:26 PM
That makes my week! That's one Mom who deserves a standing ovation today..Happy Mother's Day!

Isildur
May 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
Wow, that are real "family values":) . Thank you for sharing this story it's good to know that there is still hope.

cheygriz
May 13, 2007, 05:51 PM
That really makes my day!:)

4v50 Gary
May 13, 2007, 06:03 PM
What a wonderful family. However, I would have suggested standardizing the guns to reduce parts and logistics. But hey, I'm a hypocrite. I've got bolt action .22s of different makes and a semi and no two guns are alike.

Green Lantern
May 13, 2007, 06:28 PM
"I NEED more days like this!!!"
-The Doctor

:) :D :) :cool: :D

kir_kenix
May 13, 2007, 06:34 PM
that was really cool to hear. i applaud the parents for setting up their kids for success. its really nice to know that their will be 4 more responisble shooters that will grow up to join our ranks.

jpk1md
May 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
Did you ask her if she has a younger unmarried sister for me? 5'3-5'7 115lbs, black, brown, blonde or redheaded......

Zundfolge
May 13, 2007, 07:34 PM
If children are the future of shooting, Women are the immediate future of shooting.
Sounds like Oleg has another poster to make.

glockman19
May 13, 2007, 07:36 PM
Nice story. If only everyone were so educated we would have much less anti gun sentiment. What proud parents they must be.

Trebor
May 13, 2007, 07:55 PM
Nice story. Brings tears to my eyes.

skeeter1
May 13, 2007, 07:57 PM
If there were a medal for responsible parenting, I'd give them one in a heartbeat. Great post.

Deer Hunter
May 13, 2007, 08:17 PM
Amazing what a little parenting can do, isn't it?

Too bad it isn't highly contagious.Amen.

I'm 18 years old and I completely agree with that. I get angry at the parents these days who don't raise their kids right.

Great post, I'm happy to hear about that family,.

Patriot-Brewer
May 13, 2007, 08:21 PM
You should have told them about THR (if you didn't). We need more intelligent, mature, edumacated, litterit folks' around here.:p

SoCalShooter
May 13, 2007, 08:28 PM
"A family that shoots together, stays together." great story, and it is completly amazing what a little parenting can do.

Jacka L Ope
May 13, 2007, 08:54 PM
Nice read. Thanks for sharing. :)

Shipwreck
May 13, 2007, 08:56 PM
Interesting post. Thanks

Ghengis Kahn
May 13, 2007, 09:02 PM
thats beautiful!

ditto on the sister BTW :D

Tsonda
May 13, 2007, 10:04 PM
Great story.

Phaetos
May 13, 2007, 10:09 PM
That is wonderful. I wish I had been taught like that when I was younger.

XD Fan
May 13, 2007, 10:11 PM
Awesome Post.

I am working on teaching my daughter the four rules now.

Baba Louie
May 13, 2007, 10:14 PM
Is this a great nation or what? :)
I'd bet that the Mom in question was also raised right.
Thank you for telling the story Thefumegator.

BHPshooter
May 13, 2007, 10:30 PM
Did you ask her if she has a younger unmarried sister for me? 5'3-5'7 115lbs, black, brown, blonde or redheaded......

I didn't. Hindsight is 20/20. :evil:

Wes

PistolNewbie
May 13, 2007, 10:44 PM
Thank you for sharing this great story! If all children were taught by parents like these kids, the controversy over the second ammendment would take care of itself. :fire: :D
:what: I started a thread a few weeks ago suggesting a firearms and gun safety class should be taught in all schools since many children don't learn these things from parents. If they decide not to own firearms, at least their decisions can be based on facts rather than politics and fear.

heron
May 13, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well, there's four kids who won't shoot anybody by accident, out of ignorance!
Great!

CountGlockula
May 13, 2007, 11:12 PM
I feel warm and fuzzy inside.

ArfinGreebly
May 13, 2007, 11:52 PM
Wes,

If there were a trophy for Post Of The Day, it would be yours.

Inspiring.

Hope they left their phone number or email address so you can invite them to join us here on THR.

Thanks, Wes.

ravnew
May 14, 2007, 12:05 AM
Best post I've read to date, thanks so much for posting! :)

skinnyguy
May 14, 2007, 01:08 AM
jpk1md;
hey Wes, you didn't ask for jpk, did you ask for YOU?!?!?! :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "There IS hope for America." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!