Possible "stealth" gun case

PDA

bogie
May 13, 2007, 06:31 PM
For apartment dwellers, etc...

One of my neighbors is into kites. And he's got a big ol' sucker (need to ask him where he got it - may have been wally world), that has its own case. And it looks just like a shotgun or KY rifle case... Leave the "kite" price tag dealie dangling from it, and you're good...

(NP: Grateful Dead American Beauty remaster)

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible "stealth" gun case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rembrandt
May 13, 2007, 06:38 PM
This problem has been around for a while......Capone and his gang used violin cases.

ryoushi
May 13, 2007, 07:42 PM
Better than a violin case, just store your longuns butt down and put some of those fuzzy club covers over each muzzle.
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/FIP/NP-00257-C~Chimp-with-Golf-Bag-Posters.jpg
Make sure to get the most lovable, non threatening club covers you can find. (http://golfanimals.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=5)

bogie
May 13, 2007, 08:28 PM
They need a prairie dog one...

No4Mk1
May 13, 2007, 08:44 PM
The absolute best "stealth" gun case I've come up with yet are baseball gear bags.

foob
May 13, 2007, 08:49 PM
Most baseball bags aren't long enough.

Anyway a cursory search found some cheap kite bags
http://www.rudystoys.com/category.aspx?categoryID=149

230RN
May 13, 2007, 09:02 PM
DeWalt drill case.

Curtain rod boxes.

"I'm going to a Paint Ball Tournament."

Mickee Rodent lunch box.

Smuggle them out at night.

Hollowed out Bible. (I'm sure the author wouldn't mind. He authorized self defense --and, by extension, practice for it.)

Suitcases with LAX tags on them... who'd suspect, right?

Ski bags.

Tackle box (with pole.)

:)

I've got and thought about the same problem. Just about nobody in my apartment building knows that I shoot. Not that I care what anyone thinks, it's just a security measure.

I actually use the curtain rod box when I suddenly decide to go to the range in broad daylight. Most of the time, I smuggle the long arms out in the dead of the night before. Tippietoe-tiippietoe-tippietoe.

I haven't actually used it yet, but the Drill Box with the big yellow DeWalt label on it sure looks innocent.

Travis McGee
May 13, 2007, 10:32 PM
Golf bag. Hands down winner. Even has accessory pouches on the sides for ammo etc.

Zach S
May 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
I haven't actually used it yet, but the Drill Box with the big yellow DeWalt label on it sure looks innocent.
Innocent, yes.

However Dewalt, in big yellow letters, on a black case, doesnt do much for theft deterance...

Jim K
May 13, 2007, 10:41 PM
Right on, Zach. The pawn shops are full of DeWalt tools, a few of which may even have been legally owned by the guys who hocked them.

Jim

PPGMD
May 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
The Blackhawk Discreet SOCOM Pistol Case looks like like one of those laptop only bags and can carry a pistol 2-3 magazines, suppressor, and light/laser.

At least the ones that come from Hk have nothing but a business card holder on the outside with a small Hk tag on the inside, I believe the Blackhawk made ones have a small Blackhawk tag on the outside.

Anyways any old bag should do for pistols, range bags unless they are camo colored don't look any different from any other shoulder bag.

Heck for most people rectangular soft sided long gun cases don't scream gun either as long as it's tall enough.

Something like this:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=65DC

Prince Yamato
May 14, 2007, 12:08 AM
guitar case...

bogie
May 14, 2007, 12:12 AM
Wussie.

Bass case.

Fulcrum of Evil
May 14, 2007, 12:15 AM
How about lacrosse bags? The idea is not to make guns look like some other highly stealable item - who wants someone's old cup?

Geronimo45
May 14, 2007, 12:19 AM
I reckon they make cases for projector screens? One of them might do.

Im283
May 14, 2007, 12:21 AM
I vote for the golf bag. It was how I got my first rifle into the house (30 years ago) under the nose of my very anti-gun Mom.

there was no lying involved after that if I said I was going to the range ;)

Warren
May 14, 2007, 12:57 AM
I just wrap my rifle up and tell anyone who asks that it is just some curtain rods.

Geno
May 14, 2007, 01:03 AM
When we lived in an apartment, I just carried them in a gun case. When not in use, I kept them in a vault. The complex had video security, so I didn't care who knew I had firearms. They were on tape.

230RN
May 14, 2007, 01:28 AM
Not worried about theft of the guns while transporting them from the apartment to the car in the DeWalt case, Zach S. I'm worried about advertising that I have guns at all.

You'll note that was the thrust of the OP.

LaEscopeta
May 14, 2007, 08:30 AM
Legal warning (from a non lawyer.)

In some places carrying a firearm in a case or bag that most people would consider is not a gun case/bag is legally concealed carry. And in some places carrying a concealed firearm without a license is a felony. Check you local laws.

geekWithA.45
May 14, 2007, 11:48 AM
In some places carrying a firearm in a case or bag that most people would consider is not a gun case/bag is legally concealed carry.

Before this becomes a permanent part of the mythology, have you got a citation or case reference for that and to what jurisdictions does it apply?

imprezagm4
May 14, 2007, 03:13 PM
Is it illegal to transport firearms, say, to and from your vehicle in plain sight... that is uncovered.

DoubleTapDrew
May 14, 2007, 03:24 PM
Is it illegal to transport firearms, say, to and from your vehicle in plain sight... that is uncovered.
Not in Oregon (and probably not in any of the free states).
Depending on your neighbors you may get anything from "ooh's and ahh's" to "man with a gun" calls. Although someone would have to be a hopeless jumpy hopolophobe to make that their business.

imprezagm4
May 14, 2007, 03:25 PM
^Thanks!

frostbiker
May 14, 2007, 03:29 PM
Don't forget the ever lovable tennis racket bag. I know of several guys at the range who use them to varying degrees. They are most popular with the collapsible/side-folder stock set.

Me, I use a (insert famous beer label here) duffel to carry my AR or my Lusa 9mm carbine. Perfect fit.

Plink
May 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
Take a look around the pawn shops and see if you can find a used hardshell guitar case. A case for an electric bass is even longer. You can modify the internals any way you want to fit your gun/s. Carrying a "guitar" back and forth looks pretty normal and nobody will give you a second glance.

strat81
May 14, 2007, 03:53 PM
And here I am putting AK-patches on the softshell case I got for my WASR.

What about that range bag from last week that the guy's cat peed in?

LaEscopeta
May 14, 2007, 04:04 PM
In some places carrying a firearm in a case or bag that most people would consider is not a gun case/bag is legally concealed carry.
Before this becomes a permanent part of the mythology, have you got a citation or case reference for that and to what jurisdictions does it apply?

Well, here is an example from Arizona:

http://www.packing.org/oldnews/article/?article=10106
(ARS 13-3102 (F)).
A weapon is not concealed, for the purposes of this provision, if the weapon is carried in a belt holster which holster is wholly or partially visible, or carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons (other than a fanny pack, purse, backpack, lunch box, briefcase, or other container that is specially designed to carry a weapon in a concealed manner) which scabbard or case is wholly or partially visible, or carried in a container that is clearly labeled as containing a weapon.

For the record, I believe not advertising you firearms as you take them to and from you home is a good idea. And Im not saying there is or is not any legal problem in any particular location with guitar case, golf bag, etc ideas mention in this thread. And it is not a legal problem for anyone with a conceal carry permit. I'm saying saying it is a problem in SOME locations, and as stated in post #20 above, Im saying you should check your local laws.

Thread where this topic was discussed about 1.5 years ago:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=171209&highlight=tennis

Lashlarue
May 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
I carry mine naked! You got a problem with that! My neighbors are happy that I'm armed and have a CHL. Should anyone ever ask, I'm going to the range, that should suffice.Used to clean my guns sitting on my front porch, that included the Thompson, no one ever said anything.

DonP
May 14, 2007, 04:57 PM
I think the overall idea is carrying a gun, rifle probably, without looking like you have a rifle.

Try tool box carry.

AR-15 and the Maryland AR-15 web sites have two different toolbox conversions to carry an AR-15 A2 or an M-4gery. It even leaves the top tray in so you can toss a few wrenches, pliers and a screwdriver or two.

With a little ingenuity you can fit in three or four magazines too.

I don't know the law in other states, but in Illinois a gun must be carried unloaded and encased. There is no such thing as "in a gun case" rule. The toolbox passes muster as encased, and you have to break the AR down into its upper and lower to fit it in, so technically it's dissassembled and inoperable as stored.

Patriot-Brewer
May 14, 2007, 05:14 PM
curtain rods...curtain rods...that sounds so familiar.

Didn't Lee Harvey O. use that excuse at work? Seems like I've read about the curtain rods thing somewhere.

Warren
May 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
curtain rods...curtain rods...that sounds so familiar.

Didn't Lee Harvey O. use that excuse at work? Seems like I've read about the curtain rods thing somewhere.

:evil:

I was wondering if anybody was going to get the reference.

LaVere
May 14, 2007, 05:42 PM

Not in Michigan

obxned
May 14, 2007, 05:55 PM
Chain saw case - that will put them at ease!!!

snewbie
May 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
Coleman folding-camp-chair bag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Possible "stealth" gun case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!