Give me a good reason

PDA

Im283
May 13, 2007, 10:41 PM
i am about to purchase a small size revolver. I was pretty well convinced on the S&W 637 .38 Special.

After a lot of thought and reading here on THR I am thinking about a 357 Mag.
It will shoot the .38 special ammo right? My thought is that it gives me extra options on loads to shoot.

I can get the S&W for under $400. I can get a Taurus 357 for about $50 less than that. I am unsure of reliability and longevity of the Taurus. But the price is very attractive. Some say junk, others say fine firearm. Which is it? Both are 2.5 inch barrel if I remember right.

Can anyone give me a good reason to not get the Taurus?

If you enjoyed reading about "Give me a good reason" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikePGS
May 13, 2007, 10:46 PM
Actually i had this same question, but it was about the taurus model 85 .38 snubnose vs the S&W 642. The thing that ultimately swayed me in the direction of S&W was someone pointing out that while it might be a savings initially if for some reason you ever need to use customer service its a lot more expensive to send something to brasil and have to wait several weeks to get it back.

Bezoar
May 14, 2007, 12:45 AM
both s&w and taurus can have really bad return time on a gun sent in for repair work.

You cant hold the long wait to get your gun worked on and returned to you by the factory. Taurus for example tells you that you should have your gun cleaned/checked out at least once a year by a qualified gunsmith for proper function, etc.
When you read the manual for the taurus revolvers, you will notice that on the last page of legalese, that you the purchaser are:
-advised to only send it to the factory for any work as factory as all the parts needed
-reminded any work on the product by someone other then the factory employees is considered UNATHORIZED and voids all warrenties that exist onthe gun.
-and that the owner who has a non factory gunsmith do work on the taurus product, is the one responsible for getting all proper replacement parts, as well as making sure your hire a smith who can correctly modify stock parts to fit your gun.

and dont forget, if the gun is rendered useless by non factory smith, you are SOL on warrenty, and if you want a replacement gun, you have to go buyit from your dealer instead of having a free replacement if the factory kills your gun by accident.

And what gun apeals to you more? For me i prefer the looks of rossi and taurus, and you cant forget the fact that when Taurus was owned by the company that owned Smith and Wesson, they traded alot of technology and trade secrets.

Ala Dan
May 14, 2007, 05:15 AM
Actually, Taurus returns go to Miami instead of Brazil~! ;)

While the Taurus quality has most definitely improved, I would spend my
money with a company that has an outstanding track record of proven
customer satisfaction, and return policy. With that said, I recall reading
right here at THR where a customer had to send a Taurus model 85 in
four (4)* times, before the fine folks at Tauri International even thought
about fix'in it~! If I recall correctly, they finally sent him a new revolver.

*FootNote- four trips back to the factory for the same problem is totally
unacceptable with any firearm.:scrutiny: :eek: :(

PigPen
May 14, 2007, 07:27 AM
Buy the S&W.

The price difference isn't that much.

S&W is the brand name.

Consider used. Most J frames are carried but not shot much. In case something is wrong with it, you can send it to S&* for repair.

Do not think that one gun fits all needs. A small pistol in .38 is for carry and self defense. You will need something else for the range. J frames and indeed .38 caliber is for self defense at close range; Not hunting, not plinking, not target shooting. Considering use for those things will only confuse you. And while we are at it, it is my opinion (;) that a 357 cal is a real different issue and does not belong in the J frame; Some one here will disagree. The 38 cartridges will fit less well and be less accurate out of it but that's quibbling. It will usually cost more. 357 will often get a seasoned shooter flinching and a beginner even sooner.

I like a steel J frame. Even loaded, it is not too heavy. A steel pistol will recoil less and you will need to shoot enough to familarize yourself with it. Steel will wear better. It will last longer and one day it may have to. I prefer the stainless steel version...carry takes a heavy toll on blued firearm finishes and Stainless is much more durable.

While at the gun store, with the money you save buying used, pick up an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for it. You may also want another holster but an Uncle Mike's is to inexpensive and too handy not to have one.

I plan to give mine to my granchildren. I will never sell it.

PigPen

Nomad, 2nd
May 14, 2007, 07:51 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3393525&posted=1#post3393525

ARTiger
May 14, 2007, 07:55 PM
Get the 642. .38 SPL +P is a handful in a snub nosed gun, unless you've shot .357 from a 2" gun under 20 ounces and are okay with the recoil, you're just wasting money.

hexidismal
May 14, 2007, 08:06 PM
Get the 642. .38 SPL +P is a handful in a snub nosed gun, unless you've shot .357 from a 2" gun under 20 ounces and are okay with the recoil, you're just wasting money.

I cant say I agree. I often wonder why anyone bothers to buy .38 guns at all anymore actually. Sometimes its enough, sure, particularly as a range or competition revolver. So if it's a "just for fun" gun, that's another story. For defense purposes though, I think I would want to have the option. Sometimes recoil just isn't a factor. At the ranges most self defense situations will require you to fire in, I would want the most stopping power regardless of recoil. I don't currently own a snubbie, but if I did I'd get a .357 and load it with 3 .38 SPL +Ps and 2 heavy .357 loads in case the 38s just weren't doing the job. Point is, why sacrifice options ?

Im283
May 14, 2007, 09:32 PM
I have not seen any used S&W 637's around here. I look in gun shops and pawn shops all the time. I am not real big on the idea of buying a used revolver anyway. But then again it might be just fine.

The Taurus .357 snubby is way less expensive than a Smith of that caliber.

As for using it as a range gun I think I would shoot it as much as any of the others I have. I enjoy shooting and it sounds like fun to deal with some recoil while out on the range.

Maybe I should stick with a compact 9mm, at least that is one less ammo platform to supply as I already shoot 9mm anyway.

Just when I think I know what I want i get confused all over again, lol

hexidismal
May 14, 2007, 09:40 PM
Just when I think I know what I want i get confused all over again, lol
You're not alone.. happens to me all the time :)

As far as Used revolvers go though . All 4 revolvers I current own were preveiously owned, and all of them are great (3 smiths, 1 colt). They DO need to be inspected well though. Jim March's "Revolver Checkout" sticky thread is a great resource for that.
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=1430

earplug
May 14, 2007, 10:56 PM
Getting a light weight .357 IMHO is a misstake. If you don't shoot it, but only carry the .357 ammo in it, in time you run the risk of having old loaded rounds in your revolver. Some types of lube can ruin primers given enough time and lube. This may be a 1 in several thousand case.
If you really do rotate your carry ammo this won't be a problem.
I like to practice with my carry stuff and not mess with carry ammo and practice ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Give me a good reason" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!