TAURUS PT22 .22 LR reliable?

PDA

cajun47
May 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
they are $189 at acamdy. reliable or jam masters?

If you enjoyed reading about "TAURUS PT22 .22 LR reliable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tinygnat219
May 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
I owned one. Fairly reliable, but attrocious DAO trigger, and due to the .22 LR round misfires were not uncommon. Not a fun plinking pistol either. I sold mine and this was the first handgun I purchased on my own. If you want to go with this design, get the PT-25. Better reliability (due to centerfire instead of rimfire), and an extra round.
My .02. That's all.

railroader
May 13, 2007, 11:33 PM
I had one that was reliable but I sold it. First the slide cracked and was fixed under warranty but it shot about 4 or 5 inches high at about 10 yards. I like guns that shoot where the sights point. If it shot to point of aim I would have hung on to it. Mark

trader vic
May 13, 2007, 11:38 PM
In my opinion I would say to save your money and buy something else. I have a PT22 & it is the worst 22 I have ever owned. Out of the box it would not feed or eject 1 magazine of any kind of ammo I tried in it, I probably tried 6 kinds of ammo. I sent it back to Taurus, they had the gun for 9 weeks, all they did was bend the lip of the magazine & hose it down with WD 40 & tell me to clean the gun after every firing. The problem was not solved, the last time I had it out the barrel release broke. Needless to say I'm totally dissatisified with this gun. I would not buy or recommend a Taurus product. There may be good ones out there but I sure got a bad one. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

ArchAngelCD
May 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
I've heard good things about the Beretta Bobcat. You might want to take a look at one. They list for $275 but can probably be found for ~$200. They are only 11.8 oz so they are slightly lighter than the Tauars at 12.3 oz.
http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

Ala Dan
May 14, 2007, 05:24 AM
I'm with my friend trader vic big time, on this one~! ;)

In my part of these old United States of America, we call these one word:

JAM-O-MATICS

Cuz, everyone we have sold NIB has been returned; with user's unable to
get thru one magazine without a failure of some kind~! :eek: :(

MPanova
May 14, 2007, 06:50 AM
I just picked up one for the wife, we took it straight to the range and fired a few hindred rounds through it, no problems at all with the pistol. We had 2 failures to fire but Im sure it was the ammo. Its actaully fun to shoot and hit right were I wanted it to at 7 yards. The wife thinks it looks pretty too :D

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/gallery/122_11_05_07_9_28_36.JPG

Another 22 option for about 200 bucks at Academy is the beretta neos. I got one a few years back for $199.00

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/rim_fire_handguns&start=0&selectedSKU=0355-00336-7577

They show to have a SMITH & WESSON 22A .22 LR PISTOL for $198.00 aswell

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/rim_fire_handguns&start=0&selectedSKU=0355-03425-7410

Kymasabe
May 14, 2007, 10:26 PM
I had one and thought it was a cool little gun. I went thru lots of ammo before I found one that would cycle the gun reliably but I finally discovered that it loved CCI Velocitors and ran 100% reliable for hundreds of rounds after that. Most people don't have the patience to sort out the ammo problem and most buy the cheapest Wal-Mart crap bulk ammo they can find. I never had a problem with my little PT-22, I'd recommend one for plinking and for fun. Is an easy way to introduce a new shooter to the sport.

MICHAEL T
May 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
My daugther wanted one like the pimp model above. Its so cute. she says We still haven't gotten thru a 100 rounds trip to factory lite strikes .Grips broke cracked from screw hole to screw hole.
6 weeks came back 16 rounds fired new grips broke and this time fell off the pistol. Accuracy min of washtub when it fired.
I bought her a Beretta it works perfect and nothing breaks.
Fits with Jennings RG and other SNS junk Just cost more.

bglz42
May 24, 2007, 07:11 AM
I have a PT-22, and love it. It's been extremely reliable, and is surprisingly accurate. I smoothed the trigger by putting a scrap of rubber under the hammer, and dryfiring the bejeezus out of it. Now it feels like a j-frame smith. Still quite a pull, but smooth. I highly recommend the PT-22.

BTW: I shot it from the prone at a B-27 at 50 yds (I'm a PPC competitor, and 50 yds prone is my acid test for any gun.), and it held eight-ring with a neck-hold. :)

Ala Dan
May 24, 2007, 07:21 AM
Some say yes, but I say NO~! :D;)

weregunner
May 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
Can say that I have a PT22 and it is reliable with either Remington Golden 22 ammo or CCI Mini mags. Over 1000 rounds through it and eprking right along. Hyper velocity ammo is forbidden by order of the manual. :) :D

Shipwreck
May 24, 2007, 01:49 PM
I had one of the originals. Didn't work on the first trip in the 1990s when they first came out - Sent it back (back in the days when U could ship guns ground shipping thru UPS), and Taurus fixed it - it was 100% afterwards.

I sold it to my mother who didn't like the trigger, and then she sold it recently.

Gun works fine - but it isn't really a fun gun to shoot with that long, heavy trigger.

Buy a target 22 for $248 at Academy - a Browning Buckmark.

If you enjoyed reading about "TAURUS PT22 .22 LR reliable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!