Ideal stock thickness for a single action?

PDA

Dirty Bob
May 14, 2007, 12:25 AM
I'm making a pair of stocks for a Ruger Blackhawk, and I want your opinion. How thick should the finished grip be?

This is for a packin' pistol, and I plan to work up a load to fire a 255-gr. Keith SWC at about 900fps. With this load, and with carry in mind, I think I can get away with a fairly thin overall grip thickness. I almost forgot to mention that I have medium-sized hands.

With the materials I have on hand, I can have an ending total thickness of 1.25" or 1.5". I'm leaning toward 1.5 inches in thickness, but if 1.25 inches is thick enough for my load, I'd rather go with that.

I remember reading that John Taffin is in favor of thin grips, and I agree, but how "thin" is thin?

BTW, how thick are the factory stocks on a Blackhawk? I don't have a set around to measure.

Thanks in advance,
Dirty Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideal stock thickness for a single action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
May 14, 2007, 01:13 AM
Since human hands differ, there is no set "perfect" thickness. But if you are right handed, your fingers should come to the middle of the stock on the left side, and a slight palm swell on the right side is usually a help.

Jim March
May 14, 2007, 01:58 AM
Another point: do you shoot with a pinkie-under hold?

If so the bottom area of the panel should be thinner than stock and in my opinion, rounded instead of the two traditional angled bevels.

eliphalet
May 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
I like thinner, I have taken stock BH grips and carefully made them thinner. fit and feel are better to me, but like above to each his own.

Dirty Bob
May 14, 2007, 10:56 AM
Another point: do you shoot with a pinkie-under hold?At this point, I don't know, because the only thing I have for the Blackhawk is a Hogue Monogrip that feels way too big for my hands. I think I'll use the pinkie-under hold, as it sounds like a better way to control the kind of loads I plan to shoot.

Since you have one, Jim, how thick is the thickest part of a New Vaquero grip with the factory stocks on it? As I recall, these have a thinner grip frame, and I wonder if Ruger also shipped them with thinner stocks.

In the end, I may just do a fast mock-up or two in pine and experiment with different thicknesses to see which is most comfortable for me. I'm thinking of starting, however, with something that's close to the Ruger NV dimensions, since a number of people seem to like that grip.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Jim March
May 14, 2007, 02:50 PM
I don't really have calipers with which to measure....hmm....

There is a GOOD side-by-side view of the grip panels of the New Vaq and original at:

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

This may also be of interest:

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero2.htm

Dirty Bob
May 15, 2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Jim!

The pic of the Vaquero and New Vaquero grips was a big help! I think I'm going to try starting with 3/8" scales. If I need to, I can go with 1/2" stocks later. Old Fuff's statement about how far my fingers should reach on the far side of the grip was a big help, as well. It looks like 3/8" is a good stock thickness for my small-to-medium paws, giving me a total thickness of 1.25".

We'll see! I'll post pics when done.

Thanks,
Dirty Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideal stock thickness for a single action?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!