we didn't hit this poll but we won it anyway

PDA

gunsmith
May 15, 2007, 05:38 AM
The Catholic Forum, lots of liberals and yet the anti's still lost.
Restores my faith in my Church a little bit....only a little because the Church is very liberal on immigration.
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=149951

If you enjoyed reading about "we didn't hit this poll but we won it anyway" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Neo-Luddite
May 15, 2007, 10:27 AM
The Catholic Church used to champion firearm training as it was needed to fight g-dless commies.

High Planes Drifter
May 15, 2007, 10:52 AM
The Catholic Church used to champion firearm training as it was needed to fight g-dless commies

Not starting an argument , but whats with the g-d? Im asking, I see it every now and then and Im wondering why folks dont spell out God.?

MilsurpShooter
May 15, 2007, 11:00 AM
It was explained long ago to me, and I'm trying to remember it, but I think it's part of the belief that if his name is written, it can be destroyed. Had an english teacher who wouldn't write it out because each time she erased the blackboard she would be destorying a part of him.

I think, I can't remember fully.

And man, have you read some of the posts after that poll? I swear some of the Australians on that forum would be leading the UN troops downt he center of Broadway.

Neo-Luddite
May 15, 2007, 01:36 PM
For me personally it's a respect thing and part faith/superstition. I try not to write the word out if it is a reference to the supreme being especially in a flipant or non-permanent format like the internet.

I was raised Catholic and it's got nothing to do with that belief system. An observant Jew will usually not write the name of G-d and (iirc) will use a series of dots or more commonly nowadays something like I'm in the habit of doing as it is less distracting.

(I had to look it up--pretty troughtful answer here:
http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm)

Steve N
May 15, 2007, 01:59 PM
High Plains: Same reason everyone has to say "the N-word" instead of ******. Now I don't like that word, and it can be interpreted as being very degrading (only if said by a non-black to a black). However, in certain situations, it is an appropriate word to describe someone. Reminds me of the Harry Potter books where no one can say "Lord Voldemort". They instead say "He-who-can't-be-named." I say learn the word, understand the word, OWN the word, and it can't hurt you.

mnrivrat
May 15, 2007, 02:48 PM
And man, have you read some of the posts after that poll? I swear some of the Australians on that forum would be leading the UN troops downt he center of Broadway.

I read a few of those Aussy comments -- perhaps if you sign up to be a sheep you can't whine about getting eaten by a wolf. I doubt people like that will be leading any troops, there too busy grazing and hoping the government will protect them.

Eleven Mike
May 15, 2007, 06:03 PM
Article about "G-d" linked above (http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm)
- very informative. Scroll about half-way down for the most relevant info.

DonP
May 16, 2007, 01:27 PM
Don't forget St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of shooters for the Roman Catholic church.

I like to think his hand guided the poll results.

I always bring him up to tick off my anti, but otherwise religious, sisters. Kind of a "Gee, if guns are so evil how come the church has a patron saint of shooters?"

trickyasafox
May 16, 2007, 04:42 PM
A lot of my friends who are jewish won't write out G-d. I find i do it now out of respect for their faith. i could really care less if others write it out though

Koos Custodiet
May 16, 2007, 04:54 PM
> Had an english teacher who wouldn't write it out because each time she erased the blackboard she would be destorying a part of him.

This of course is true, because if your god is omnipotent, like my God is [1], She [2] is in everything, including chalk. In which case writing "God" on the blackboard and erasing it could be seen as destroying [3] a bit of God. But then, writing "Devil" on the board and erasing it would have exacly [4] the same effect on God :-)

My God is bigger than that.

Yet, I don't blaspheme. I swear like, well, me, but I don't blaspheme. That's a Great American Sin, one of the reasons I avoid soap operas [5] Springer and Oprah.

But the reason why God knows when every sparrow falls, the reason why God knows how many grains of sand there are on the beach, is all locked up in that little word "omnipotent" :-)

Koos [7]

[0] google "Evil Devil Monastery"
[1] Note use of capitals.
[2] Debate for another forum, perhaps.
[3] OK, increasing the entropy of.
[4] With allowances for number of letters.
[5] The USA ones, our local ones are quite worth avoiding in their own right.
[6] Blame the Monastery [0]
[7] I Love Footnotes [6]

Leitmotif
May 16, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hmm. Strikes me that that's a mystical belief on par with photographs stealing your soul. God is not the label. Erasing his name should have about as much effect as erasing mine. It's the entity behind the name that matters.

Besides, 'God' isn't even a name. It's a generic term that christians adopted because they don't have a better label. When I swear by the gods - plural - I'm thinking of the Norse pantheon, because you can really imagine them enjoying a good curse. The meaning behind the name is what needs to be preserved.

Oh, and it's getting annoying getting lectures from people because I've offended them by using a generic term...

lee n. field
May 16, 2007, 05:24 PM
Not starting an argument , but whats with the g-d?

Properly answering that gets us way off topic for THR.

pax
May 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
Left this one open for awhile to see if it would turn topic-ward.

It didn't, so I'm closing it.

Sorry, folks.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "we didn't hit this poll but we won it anyway" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!