Need .38 SPCL snakeshot

PDA

SLMPDcitycop
May 15, 2007, 05:35 AM
I'm looking to buy some .38 SPCL snakeshot or birdshot round, but can't find them on the net, can anyone help?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need .38 SPCL snakeshot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hutch
May 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
Do you have any friends that reload? Speer sells the empty blue shot capsules you can fill with the shot of your choice and seat (gingerly) on a mild powder charge. Tastes great, and it's less filling. <grin>

Radjxf
May 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
You can get the CCI shotshells about anywhere, midwayusa, Graf and Sons, Natchezz shooter's supply, probably Cheaper Than Dirt, maybe Sportsman's Guide, etc.
Be prepared to be underwhelmed, they have a short reach and aren't very potent. Better than a stick I suppose.:rolleyes:

Cocked & Locked
May 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
I shot these rats at my chicken house with .38 special CCI shotshells. I used the 2" barreled S&W model 12 in the picture.

Short barrels work best to not distort the shot pattern...15 feet or less is a very effective range for a meaty rat...copperheads cease to exist at 10 feet or less.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6675271/163948327.jpg

Radjxf
May 15, 2007, 12:40 PM
When I was a kid, we had hoghouse rats nearly the size of cats! They'd shrug off enless fire from my Daisy .177 rifle--I digress.
C&L--there must be something to your mention of the short barrel and shot pattern. I was very unimpressed with them from my 4" 686. Maybe I should try my 3" M66 (my most prized revo ;)).

Vern Humphrey
May 15, 2007, 12:50 PM
I suppose I should tell the Saga of the Whip-Poor-Will.

Our master bedroom is on the ground floor, in the front of the house. We have a lot of stonework, including a small garden (like a window box) right under the bedroom window. And for some reason, the stone coping is irresistable to Whip-Poor-Wills. When their breeding season starts, there will always be one on the stone coping of that garden, Whip-Poor-Willing his brains out.

For those who don't know Whip-Poor-Wills, when they start calling, then never stop. It's "Whip-Poor-Will, Whip-Poor-Will, Whip-Poor-Will," all night long. Not ten feet away from our bed.

Now, me, I can sleep through anything, and I can always roll over on my good ear if it does get annoying. But not my wife. And if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

I'd get up and rap on the window -- didn't work. I'd open the front door and that worked -- for a while. I'd turn on the porch light and that worked -- for a while. I'd go out and confront him, face to face and that worked -- for a while.

I finally got some CCI .22 shotshells and kept my old Stevens #26 Crackshot by the bed. I'd shoot into the walkway near him and that worked -- for a while.

Finally one moonless night, he was Whip-Poor-Willing his heart out. I went out on the porch. It was as dark as the inside of a cat. I couldn't see him, but I yelled at him and pointed the little Stevens in the right direction. Bang! He shut up.

The next morning I found him lying on the coping, dead as a hammer. The shot capsule didn't break up and went right through him.

The moral of this story is, be careful with those damn' things.

And there's another damn' Whip-Poor-Will back on the coping every night this Spring.

tasco 74
May 15, 2007, 12:59 PM
i have loaded the .38 speer shot capsules with shot for my s&w...... i took out a coon last winter with 4 rounds of #2 shot...... i also have some with #12 and some with #6-7 shot just for fun:cool: .................

glockman19
May 15, 2007, 01:07 PM
CCI Shotshell Ammunition 38 Special 109 Grain #9 Shot Box of 10

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=757831

kellyj00
May 15, 2007, 01:53 PM
20 gauge and BBB shot.

ArchAngelCD
May 15, 2007, 02:06 PM
CCI has .38 Shotshells in 10 packs. They aren't cheap but they work. If you reload the components are now available too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need .38 SPCL snakeshot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!