Went to the range (pics)

PDA

gunNoob
May 15, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone! Over the weekend I went to the range and shot my 2 rifles. Just wanted to post a pic of my results. This was at 50 yards. I thought it was pretty good for one of my first times to the range. Thanks for looking

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/325irollin/CIMG0014.jpg

^ excuse the pic, it seems to be backwards, lol

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/325irollin/CIMG0015.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to the range (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Dickie
May 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
This was at 50 feet.

Good job, but you mean yards, right?

gunNoob
May 15, 2007, 12:23 PM
^edited :)

ShackleMeNot
May 15, 2007, 01:16 PM
What kind of rifles were you shooting?

glockman19
May 15, 2007, 01:16 PM
You'll get better & better grouping with practice. What kind of rifle are you shooting? If it's a .30 caliber your bullit trajectory will be similar @ 200 yards as it is at 50.

Here's my target from Saturday @ 200 Yards with a Remington 700 CDL, Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 scope. 40 rounds fired.

Sniper X
May 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
Ill guess an SKS

gunNoob
May 15, 2007, 01:58 PM
Yugo SKS (7.62x39) and a Mosin Nagant (7.62x54R)

ArfinGreebly
May 15, 2007, 02:05 PM
From the target, I would guess a couple of things.

You were standing, shooting "offhand" (no support rest).
You were shooting with open sights (no scope).

Points to ponder:

If you deliberately breathe in a cadence, shooting at the same point, your shots will group tighter.
If you keep the same sight picture every time (line sights up the same way) your shots will group tighter.
If your footing is stable, you will "wobble" less in your stance, and your shots will group tighter.
A consistent trigger pull/squeeze that doesn't pull to either side or up/down will yield tighter groups.
Consistent grouping is more important than speed; the speed comes later.
Find a more experienced shooter -- who actually shoots well -- and watch what he does.

Keep practicing.

You're doing fine.

gunNoob
May 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
ArfinGreebly - you hit the nail on the head man! I was standing without scopes. Thanks for the hints, I need to work on my stance a little and go a little slower to practice my shots. Thanks!

ZeSpectre
May 15, 2007, 02:13 PM
You kept it all MOBG (minute of bad guy) so that's a good start! Other's have also given you good advice for improving on what you've already done.

Happy shooting!

esmith
May 15, 2007, 02:28 PM
Also, after taking a shot do not immediatley look away from the target. Maintain a follow up of about 3 or so seconds. If you immediatley look away after the shot you can jerk the rifle throwing the shot off.

Eyesac
May 15, 2007, 02:35 PM
Keep it up!

gunNoob
May 15, 2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all the support guys!

Mr White
May 15, 2007, 05:32 PM
Not bad for your first time out and shooting offhand to boot.

Offhand is a great test for a good shooter but a terrible test for a new shooter. It takes a lot of practice to keep that gun steady while standing with no support.

Try shooting from a good supported sitting or prone position. Your groups will get much smaller just from that alone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went to the range (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!