Health protection options

PDA

Oleg Volk
May 15, 2007, 05:42 PM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/20108-1/map.jpg

If anyone has a higher resolution aerial photo of an urban area available, I can re-make it larger.

Inspired by: http://blog.robballen.com/archive/2007/05/15/Updated-poster.aspx

If you enjoyed reading about "Health protection options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zundfolge
May 15, 2007, 05:46 PM
I did it!

If you want to do a lot of high res aerial stuff (or if you just have a couple hundred to blow on fun software) you should check out Google Earth Pro (http://earth.google.com/earth_pro.html)

Superpsy
May 15, 2007, 05:47 PM
wow. I like this one alot! Nice clear succinct message.

Oleg Volk
May 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
I use freebie version of Google Earth. Might have to upgrade if I don't find other sources of aerial photos.

Eleven Mike
May 15, 2007, 05:54 PM
Blown away. That is phenomenal. :what:

But I would put the "options" underneath the map, over a lighter background.

I hope you can find some outlet for this one. It should be seen by ALL.

Warren
May 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
I like it.

Can you do a version where the options are in a drop down window? The pictures would have to be smaller but it might be a good look.

Red Dragon
May 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
You forgot the little rape whistle :D

sm
May 15, 2007, 06:14 PM
Oleg,

Excellent!

We need some of these done up on
condom sized cards and put in bowls of condoms in Clinics. College Health Depts...etc.
:)

I'm a big believer in Trout & Reyes Marketing Concept- Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind

armoredman
May 16, 2007, 11:52 AM
Excellent!

Spartacus451
May 16, 2007, 02:52 PM
One of the best you have done and I have seen most of your pictures.

Gordon Fink
May 16, 2007, 03:06 PM
I would drop the unnecessary AIDS reference.

And for a girl, you may want to use a smaller handgun.

~G. Fink

Eleven Mike
May 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
I would leave those items alone.

Momybug
May 16, 2007, 03:37 PM
Gordon,
I agree with you on the AIDS reference, but not the gun. The flow from condom to phone to gun is NICE. Not only that-Girls like BIG guns too you know!

Oleg-mrtgbnkr started sharing your pics with me a few months ago and WOW! I'd plaster the outer walls of my home with them if my husband would let me and if I thought it was necessary where I live-but promoting guns in my town is redundant-the high school boys still carry rifles in racks on their trucks. Your work is MAGNIFICENT! Thanks for the work!

Heather

Eleven Mike
May 16, 2007, 03:58 PM
RE: AIDS - here's Oleg's response to similar criticism on TFL

AIDS, Hep B, VDs are aggravating aspects of rapes. It does the victim no good if the perp gets caught AFTER the attack. I want to make sure that viewers understand how dire the matter is.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2357960&postcount=6

220_Swift
May 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
Great job Oleg! Keep up the good work.

GhostlyKarliion
May 16, 2007, 04:25 PM
Oleg, another great one, I love it!

And I think the AIDS reference adds to the danger of the situation, I vote to leave it in there.

pax
May 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
Oleg ~

I love this image, and the wording, and the idea.

Was just sitting here looking at it, and ... well, would it be very hard to substitute the "cop" gun for a "girl" gun? Might make the point even more clear at a glance.

pax

Oleg Volk
May 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
Not hard to substitute, though most girls I know carry 1911s. I should have some S&W36 pics.

Eleven Mike
May 16, 2007, 06:41 PM
But a Glock IS a girl gun. :neener:

pax
May 16, 2007, 07:58 PM
Eleven Mike ~

Of course it is. :) You know, somewhere around here I've got a tee shirt bearing the legend, "Silly boys ... Glocks are for girls!!"

Kidding aside, Glocks are very much associated with the police, being the duty weapon for a significant percentage of LEAs in America. That's why I feel like the black Glock kind of muddies the first-glance effect of the photo, and why replacing it with something else might make that excellent poster even stronger.

Oleg, :D I don't think the 1911 is much more girl-associated in people's minds, but at least it's not quite so cop-associated.

pax

Gordon Fink
May 16, 2007, 08:11 PM
I can barely get my hands around a Glock. At least think about a mid-sized model.

Using AIDS suggests that rape might not be so bad as long as it doesnít involve any STDs. If you must use a disease, try picking something more common than HIV/AIDS.

~G. Fink

heron
May 16, 2007, 10:22 PM
Like it!
Nothing like a good graphic to stick in people's minds!

Oleg Volk
May 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'll make a shiny gun version and a Makarov version for the Russian use, too.

Eleven Mike
May 16, 2007, 11:20 PM
Hey, Pax, I think you're right about the gun.

But I can't resist saying that, if the poster needs a gun that everyone will recognize as a girl gun, the AR is the best choice. :p

.cheese.
May 16, 2007, 11:30 PM
Russian women carry Makarovs? Newer clones or original antiques?

Remind me never to date a Russian woman.

kidding...... kidding... I kid, I kid.

Red Tornado
May 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
I think this is my favorite one. Excellent work on an excellent message.
RT

denfoote
May 17, 2007, 02:59 AM
I would drop the unnecessary AIDS reference.

Why??

Do you have statisical information that suggests that no rapist is infected with aids??

Is it not prudent to assume all rapists are infected with aids???

Leave it in, Oleg!!!

M92FS
May 17, 2007, 03:35 AM
Excellent ! Great poster ! :)

skinnyguy
May 17, 2007, 03:52 AM
I like it just the way it is, and so does my 17 year old daughter.

For those who don't like the Glock (or female police officers with Glocks?) Perhaps a Smith & Wesson Lady Smith?

MY vote says print that puppy as it is, and post it anywhere you can!!

NukemJim
May 17, 2007, 07:34 AM
Some questions have been raised about the AIDs reference in the poster. IMHO it should be left in.

3 points
1)Graphicly no other 3 letter acronym(SP?) for an uncurable deadly sexually transmitted disease that I am aware of.

2) Public awareness of AIDs (1st mediPAC to get laws to stop testing for the disease they organized around)

3)Likelyhood of rapist having AIDs is actually high. Criminals especially violent criminals and/or criminals who have been in prison have a far higher rate of HIV than the average population. Add to that the appearance in the US of the strain of the virus that is currently most prevalent in Africa that has a much higher M-F transmission rate as compared to the strain that is most commonly found in the US and single exposure infection rates are rising :eek: :what: :barf:

NukemJim

PS Oleg, perhaps a version with a "Ladies gun" (Before I get jumped on let me explain) a gun that is owned and carried by the daughter i.e. a Stainless revolver with a red rose on the grips or frame(doesn't have to be practical for this purpose, acrylic paint on frame would work), the classic all pink or semi-pink gun. Think opposite of tactical (from a visual perspective only of course). A S+W 640 with a rose on the frame would be perfect Secret. "Strong enough for a man but made for a woman.

Gordon Fink
May 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
Why??

Do you have statisical information that suggests that no rapist is infected with aids??

Is it not prudent to assume all rapists are infected with aids???

I answered this question already, but Iíll do it again. :)

I think itís prudent to assume that no one wants to be raped. The statistical information Iíve seen suggests that the threat of HIV/AIDS in the U.S. is ridiculously overblown. Iím tired of this disease getting so much attention, when it really threatens only a small segment of the population.

I am much more worried about the psychological damage my daughter would suffer from a rape than I am about the small chance she would contract HIV. In other words, the threat of rape should be horrifying enough to motivate parents to protect their children.

~G. Fink

entropy
May 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
Don't change a thing, Oleg!

Russian women carry Makarovs? Newer clones or original antiques?

Except the ones in OMON. They carry Stechkins. :what:

General Geoff
May 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
Replace the Glock with a shiny 1911, and it'd be perfect.

SaaM
May 18, 2007, 04:27 PM
Personally, I like Olegs better than mine. I had to do mine quickly, in a work environment that gets scared if you say "boo", much less look at weapons!

-Robb

Oleg Volk
May 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'll keep this one as is and make additional variants with girly guns.

gunNoob
May 18, 2007, 05:43 PM
you sir, are a genius

givo08
May 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
I think the message is great. I would change the gun simply for the fact that it doesn't contrast well with the background. It took me a minute to notice it was there. Something in shiny stainless like a S&W M60 lady smith would go well with the image. You may also want to label each item with a # (1, 2, 3, 4).

Travis McGee
May 18, 2007, 06:54 PM
The resolution is fine, we're all pretty familiar with overhead imagery today. It makes the point very well.

Oleg, I hope some of this fountain of creativity is coming back to you in other areas of your life. You are on a tear. It is great to watch your imagination distilled into crystal clear images with great messages.

If you enjoyed reading about "Health protection options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!