Shooting occurred across the street

PDA

XDforever
May 16, 2007, 07:11 PM
Well, it happened this morning. A thug robbed the Whataburger behind my school and then proceeded to the donut shop across the street and robbed it also. He shot and killed one of the donut workers because I guess he didn't move fast enough. He stole a car and drove to Dallas with Mesquite police and Dallas PD in hot pursuit. They got in a shootout and one DPD officer was injured but the perp was shot and killed.

There are others on our faculty that are CHL'ers with me and we all agreed that this is hitting really close to home. We felt real uncomfortable all day with shots fired right across the street and no way to protect ourselves other than locking the door.

As I posted in a topic earlier in the week about looking for a small revolver, today's activities have really brought it home to me to be prepared at all times. I have a really nice Kershaw Blur knife with me at all times in school. I'm going to keep the revolver in my truck while at school and ON MY PERSON at all other times.

You just never know when some idiot is going to go wacko and start shooting.

Sorry for the long post, but I am still shook up about it.

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting occurred across the street" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Heavy Metal Hero
May 16, 2007, 07:13 PM
Well I am glad you are safe. I am sure everyone here would agree with you when you wish someone would come to their senses and allow you to protect yourselves effectively.

DoubleTapDrew
May 16, 2007, 08:30 PM
Glad you are safe.

It's sad that people keep trying to stack the deck in the bad guy's favor.

Titan6
May 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
Have you addressed the safety issue with the school? Tomorrow would be a good day.

RNB65
May 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
Sounds like suicide by cop. Once they had him cornered, he crouched down and just started shooting until the cops killed him. I bet he was a meth-head.

Crunker1337
May 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
Glad you're safe.

Too bad that yet another innocent person in the wrong place at the wrong time had to suffer a traumatic death at the hands of a psycho.

Trope
May 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
Two robberies and a carjacking in Mesquite that led to a chase ended with a store owner and the suspect fatally shot and a police officer shot in the arm east of downtown Dallas.
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/13330805/detail.html

.cheese.
May 16, 2007, 11:26 PM
what the hell is a "Whataburger"?

is that a chain?

Glad your ok though.

Caimlas
May 16, 2007, 11:46 PM
The only time that knife is going to be useful is when the person with the gun doesn't see you coming, and when you're out of cover and concealment. The gun would be a bit more useful...

Mumwaldee
May 17, 2007, 12:46 AM
Whataburger rules! I wish we had them further east. And don't call this idiot a wacko...it gives wackos a bad name.

GlowinPontiac
May 17, 2007, 01:08 AM
dont get caught in school with that knife. the administration will probably treat it the same as if you were caught with a gun.

230RN
May 17, 2007, 03:03 AM

Same as a MacWendyKing's.

yhtomit
May 17, 2007, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Same as a MacWendyKing's.

Au contraire!

At least, in my experience, they have better burgers than any of those others, and better shakes, and are (all?) open 24 hours. Also, they're good about customizing and actually giving you what you want / ask for. (In Philadelphia, asking for something non-standard usually gets you the Glare of Doom for a while, and then the wrong thing.)

I've only been to a few (in El Paso, Austin, and if I recall correctly Odessa or thereabouts), so perhaps I just got lucky ;)

To keep it gun related: I didn't see a 30.06 sign on the one I have been to most often, in El Paso ;)

timothy

Ala Dan
May 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
Also, very glad you are safe and thanks for sharing this story. There is just
TOO MUCH of this kind'a stuff going on these days; as I only live 'bout five
miles from the Wachovia branch bank that was robbed on Monday, with 2
employees shot and killed and two more injured in the shooting. One of the
injured employees does have life threatening injuries; while the other was
treated and released from a local hospital.

We need to take back our communities from these roper-dopers, gangsta
types, meth addicts, crack heads, and all the rest of these idiots that want
to run our life. Its just too bad, that I wasn't present at the bank on Monday
with my licensed CCW piece. Cuz, if given the opportunity- the perp would
have died.

I know, you are going to say that Heaven is full of hero's; and I certainly
wouldn't have claimed HERO status, but it would have been the right thing
too do at the time. There was NO sense in the perp shooting those poor
ladies; as he could have gotten the money without a shot being fired~!:(

jeepmor
May 17, 2007, 08:29 AM
dont get caught in school with that knife. the administration will probably treat it the same as if you were caught with a gun.

Then just carry the gun.

silverking
May 17, 2007, 11:08 AM
These crazy times dictate some serious changes in the system. With all the violence being unleashed in the schools across the nation, I think a program should be set in place to allow teachers to be armed while on the job.
Before the flames start to blast me, let's consider the possibilityof having all teachers of high school aged students as well as college professors enter into a volunteer status as being armed guards for their students. It would, of course, be required for the instructors to pass all the related courses and checks as any citizen would have to. And it probably could be done so as even the students didn't know who is or is not carrying. The teachers themselves would have to be able to keep their status confidential.
Does anyone see any merit in such a program?
I realize there would be many people against such a program and it sounds probably too much like a prison lockdown, but something needs to be done to protect the students and staff from the BG's

ldyates
May 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
The dude was crazy.

Whatabuger......best jalapenos. Corpus Christie based company, Nolan Ryan was their pitch (no pun intended) man for a many years. I hate their stupid commercials, but if you have been "out" with the boyz... it is awesome hangover medicine.

I think I know what I am doing for lunch.

wjustinen
May 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
There is another thread about the Texas Governor being in favor of dumping "victim disarmament" zones. Suggest you contact him and your state reps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting occurred across the street" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!