j-frame carry iwb/owb

PDA

mikeb3185
May 16, 2007, 10:41 PM
just got my 642ct, and yes my mika is on order (2-3 weeks), i also purchased a 5.11 holster shirt which is suprisingly comfortable and a galco ultra deep cover.

i do not like the galco, i think i want iwb, i typically carry (glock 19 in ctac) at the 4-5 position.

any suggestions welcome i looked through the 642 club quickly and found some info.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "j-frame carry iwb/owb" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
johnny blaze
May 16, 2007, 10:52 PM
I like the IWB carry for the J frame over the other options. It just feels natural, and is hard to see. I actually forget that it is there.

mikeb3185
May 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
what do you carry her in

SwampWolf
May 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
Pocket carry is an effective concealment and comfortable mode of carry for those occasions when the weather and/or social circumstance warrant same. A good pocket holster (Mika, Uncle Mikes) is highly recommended.

johnny blaze
May 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
I am probably going to catch some flack for this, but, I use a Uncle Mikes IWB. I use the sidekick professional model.
I have used the Uncle Mikes holsters for IWB carry for several years, with several different auto's and revolvers.

glockman19
May 17, 2007, 02:08 AM
I pocket carry or IWB Either but I prefer Pocket with a Desaints nemesis

tackleberi
May 17, 2007, 08:45 AM
Putting a set of Barami HipGrips onto the J-frame will take care of the IWB carry needs, while remaining compatable with the Rafter S Gunleather OWB holster.

Not all OWB holsters allow for the Barami HipGrips.....the Rafter S does, and you can't beat the price for that level of craftsmanship.

That's the all-in-one solution I use for my 640, and it works great.

heysox
May 17, 2007, 12:52 PM
I am partial to the Safariland model 27 IWB. It has a "J" hook and is easy to take off while very secure on the belt.

Dirty Bob
May 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
The Barami Hip Grip works great for me. It's an excellent method of concealing an all-steel J-frame, like a S&W 640.

Some find them slippery and use various methods to correct that issue, such as covering with a slip-on grip, adding a grip adapter, or carefully stippling the grips with a hot wire. You could even apply skateboard tape to the exposed front grip frame. I do none of these: I find the Baramis perfectly suitable without any modification.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

stevek
May 17, 2007, 02:32 PM
IWB in a Fist 1A holster. Slight forward cant. Can be had in leather, (8 different colors) kydex, or hybrid which is a kydex interior with a leather exterior. Great holsters. I liked my J frame hybrid holster so well, that I have one for my H&K, Kimber, and Para too! :D

HiWayMan
May 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
I too am a huge fan of the Hip-Grip. Whatever gun I carry at the 4o'clock position is always complimented by a J at the 12:30 position. With the black grips and a black T-shirt I don't need a cover garment (if carrying the J only), as a bit of blousing over the grip hides it very well.

langenc
May 18, 2007, 01:24 PM
Try the clipdraw.com.

Striker
May 18, 2007, 02:03 PM
Can't comment on IWB carry since I don't.

When using an OWB carry for a J frame, I prefer to utilize either a Safariland beltslide or a Hume JIT. Both are well constructed and boned for good friction fit, yet minimal in design. They will carry an airweight (and steel frames also) comfortably all day long, WITH a proper belt sized to the holster loop/tunnels. Since both have no offset, the conceal very well behind the hip with a variety of cover garments.

As always, YMMV.

If you enjoyed reading about "j-frame carry iwb/owb" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!