Improving subject titles

PDA

No4Mk1*
January 7, 2003, 10:33 PM
As this forum ages, it will become a huge source of information by use of the search function. I frequently search only in subject titles since searching entire posts often produces too many results to sort thru, especially after a few years of operation (TFL). I have noticed several posts recently that I will miss in the future because certain key words are absent from the post subject. I wish Moderators could edit post subjects to include key words for future searching.

Here are a few examples of how I would edit subjects:

"Which, if any, rounds have the same rim size as 7.62x54R?"
***This post is about stripper clips so I would change the title to:
Which, if any, rounds have the same rim size as 7.62x54R? (Stripper Clips)

Another:
"Some Assistance, please..."
***This post is about locating a 8mm flash suppressor- My suggestion:
Some Assistance, please... (8mm Flash Suppressor)

One more:
" Decisions, decisions..."
***This one is about which CZ pistol to buy, so...
Decisions, decisions... (CZ)

I think that occasionally editing subject lines would improve this site's usefulness as an information source in the future.

Thanks,
-Michael

If you enjoyed reading about "Improving subject titles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
January 7, 2003, 11:03 PM
"I wish Moderators could edit post subjects to include key words for future searching."

We can do that, but we won't. I understand your concern and your suggestion has merit. However, trust me, the majority of the membership would not want us fooling around with their thread titles.

A good suggestion perhaps would be to ask the general membership to be more descriptive and informative with their own titles and to include the type of info you suggested. But I can pretty much guarantee that the moderators won't do it for them.

ahenry
January 7, 2003, 11:05 PM
I’m quite fond of the fact that by-and-large what the members say here is what is said here, not what the moderators say (except when acting as members). Obviously some posts or thread titles or whatnot will be edited for propriety’s sake, but I think what makes this board great is the suburb job of the moderators to enforce the rules, keep the peace, and let the members say what they want to say. Speaking solely for myself, I would have a strong aversion to participating in a message board where comments that I make, in full compliance with the rules, might be changed by somebody else.

In fact, when Preacherman did something like what your saying (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=397) (he even had a good reason since he merged two threads), one of the original thread starters was justifiably disturbed with the change. In my books as long as what is said stays with the guidelines of this board the mods should leave them alone.

Mal H
January 7, 2003, 11:26 PM
A small correction ahenry. Preacherman didn't merge the threads you are talking about (neither did I), but he did apologize for the incident on behalf of Staff.

ahenry
January 7, 2003, 11:38 PM
My bad, I knew it was his explanation and assumed he merged it. You know what they say about when you assume....

:o

No4Mk1*
January 8, 2003, 02:39 AM
I understand the reasoning for not editing posts. I wish the key words could be added in a way as to be invisible to forum users and only recognized by the computer during a search, but I don't think that is supported by the software.

Oh well, thanks anyways.

Mike Irwin
January 8, 2003, 12:58 PM
I'm an editor. That's my job.

And I don't think that even I would want to try to tackle this task. :)

Sven
January 8, 2003, 01:33 PM
Maybe helpful:

When searching, I usually start with a 'titles-only' search and then - if necessary - search the entire message body... this usually will catch any searches missed on the first pass.

Mal H
January 8, 2003, 03:07 PM
Mike makes a good point. We are moderators not editors so editing a member's post is not in our job description. We do edit them, of course, but rarely and only in the context of moderating the forums.

Now, I would consider editing titles and such if Oleg would triple my salary.

[Thinking outloud - Hmmm, not a bad idea. Maybe then I could afford to buy that pistol I've been thinking about. Lessee, 3 X $0.00 is ...
Hey!! Wait just a dadburn second! Oh, Oleg ....!! ]

Sven
January 8, 2003, 04:57 PM
If you PM the person who posted the original misleading subject line, pehaps they would change it.

No4Mk1
January 8, 2003, 05:14 PM
Woooooeeeeeeooooooo.......

Had to look twice, thought I had started a thread I didn't remember starting.....

I guess the new and improved version of me started it.... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Improving subject titles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!