The REAL Hogzilla!...

PDA

Smitty908
May 17, 2007, 02:49 PM
This was killed just north of my hometown the other day!:eek:

http://www.monsterpig.com/

-Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "The REAL Hogzilla!..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArfinGreebly
May 17, 2007, 02:55 PM
. . . it's a space station!

Unhappily, by the time they get to that size, they're far too old and the meat far to gamy to bother butchering the hog.

Otherwise . . . damn, boy!

jrfoxx
May 17, 2007, 02:55 PM
Holy poop, that's a big hog!

Biker
May 17, 2007, 03:02 PM
Looks like my second Mother-In-Law without her dentures and make-up.

Biker

whitetiger7654
May 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
I'm actually a little upset about the kill. I'm not a hunter but isn't it a little unethical to try and kill an animal for 3 hours and shoot it 16 times? Shouldn't you only shoot an animal if you can kill it in 1 shot and kill it as quickly as possible. So the animal doesn't have to suffer.

Rich K
May 17, 2007, 03:12 PM
Yumm, bacon, sausage, prok chops.Yumm.

trfcrugby
May 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
I agree....3 hours and 16 shots later seems pretty cruel to me.

I know there has to be some weapon that will take down a hog that size in one shot. What do safari hunters shoot with?

Biker
May 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
Seems a bit strange to me too. Maybe the kid scored a bunch of gut shots? Hard to imagine an animal (even at 1000lbs) taking 16 hefty rounds through the heart/lungs and lasting that long.

Biker

PotatoJudge
May 17, 2007, 03:16 PM
whitetiger, generally yes, but I can make exception for destructive feral species. Not that I want them to suffer, but it's more important to keep their numbers as low as possible for the good of native species and crops essential to farmers' liveliehoods.

Curious to see if this story is real (no offense Smitty).

Smitty908
May 17, 2007, 03:21 PM
No offense taken, TaterJ. It weren't me or anyone I know who killed it. I was just passing it on...

-Tim

romma
May 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
Holy cow! I mean Holy Hog.

qlajlu
May 17, 2007, 03:25 PM
Curious to see if this story is real
I'm with PotatoJudge. Those photos look Photo-shopped to me, but then I am not an expert. Judging size with the hog next to the "shooter" the hog would be the size of a buffalo. Just color me skeptic.

Rumble
May 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm wondering if there isn't a bit of forced perspective going on in these shots, shooting pictures with the hunters farther behind the hog than they appear to be.

SaMx
May 17, 2007, 03:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing. But then again, there was a show on Discovery channel about "hogzilla" and wild hogs in general. Several "experts" looked at the photos of hogzilla and declared them to be fake. So the guy who shot it invited them (and a bunch of biologists) out to his farm and dug up the carcass. He proved them wrong, and the biologists examined the carcass and took DNA samples. It was just a regular hog, but it turns out it had been breaking into a fish farm and eating high protein fish food. With an unlimited supply of good food, it just got bigger and bigger.

marksman13
May 17, 2007, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to judge the kid for the 16 rounds he used. Sometimes animals do funny things when you shoot them. I've seen a veterinarian shoot a cow 8 times with a .45! Finally went to the truck and got a 44 mag lever action to put her down. We can scream ethics all we want, but the bottom line is that we are never GUARANTEED a clean kill. At least the kid followed up with his first shot and continued to try and finish it off. An unethical hunter would have just let the wounded animal walk.

I agree Rumble, forced perspective is in play in those photos.

Double Naught Spy
May 17, 2007, 03:46 PM
Where are all the fist sized holes? 16 shots and you would think that a least a couple would be visible. The .500 likely isn't going to make the fist sized holes going in, so they must be exit wounds.

How come the people are all photographed BEHIND the pig. I have a pig from when I was a kid, holding the Washington Monument in my hand. It was a trick of forced perspective. In the first shot, it looks like the boy is leaning against the opposite side of the pig for the shot, but then again, the tree seems to be just as close, only in the second shot, you can see the tree isn't up close against the pig either. Heck the height of the pig's snout (flat portion to the far left of the image) is taller than the boy's head is wide. That just don't make sense unless they have forced the perspective of the image.

It is pretty amazing to know an 11 year old shoots a S&W .500.

How come this feral pig looks so much bigger than the 1100 pounder taken by Larry Early in Florida in 2004. (see snopes, searching on Larry Early)

Did you also notice that the 11 year old on his knees with the other men was as big as they were. The pig may be big, but so is that boy.

It may be a big pig, no doubt, but why would they force the perspective to make the pig look bigger than it really is? Isn't it good enough that the kid took a pig weighing 4 figures? Is there a reason needed to make this look more than it is?

Bob R
May 17, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hogzilla was alittle exagerated. It was only 8ft/850lbs, not the 12ft/1000+ the shooter claimed.

Now this pig is big, no doubt. It is a shame there wasn't anyone with enough gun (rifle) to lend a hand. But, the kid did not give up, which is good. He was finally able to finish it off. I am a little concerned about shot placement and/or penetration. There doesn't seem to be any blood on the snout. You would think that with multiple hits, one or two would hit a lung. It would be interesting to do a necropsy on the hog to check out the damage and penetration.

bob

JohnBT
May 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
Anybody see multiple hits?

John

sel366
May 17, 2007, 04:06 PM
Those pics sure look fishy. The one where they are behind the pig looks really fake. I could be wrong, i have been before, but I say these are photoshopped.

Rumble
May 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
Anybody see multiple hits?

I don't even see a hit.

Wait...possibly one, on left side, high, just in front of the haunch (forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology--it would be just anterior to the pelvis area).

mike101
May 17, 2007, 04:31 PM
Rosie?

gomer
May 17, 2007, 04:32 PM
EDIT:
I checked out our local deer hunting BB and the guide for that hunt posts on there. Here is a link to his story with some better pics. I guess it is for real
http://www.aldeer.com/al_ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000496

glockman19
May 17, 2007, 04:35 PM
WOW :what:

That is one huge pig.

marksman13
May 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm with others who don't see any bullet holes....something stinks just a little...

akodo
May 17, 2007, 04:39 PM
regarding a clean kill vs shooting it 16 times, etc.

Thing is, we all hope for a clean kill and hopefully pass on shots which we think are too risky.

we sometimes calculate wrong, or sometimes the animal moves a bit between the gun firing and the bullet getting there.

Anyways, my attitude is, one shot and you miss, fine, go home no big deal

one shot and you hit but fail to kill? You stay until you get that critter dead, if it takes 16 more shots and 3 hours, well then that is what it takes. Actually, once you got the animal wounded, it is going to be a lot harder to get a decent shot, so I'd be much more inclined to take riskier shots, shots with less chance of killing it right away, just to hope the additional wound would anchor the animal to allow for a 3rd or 4th to finish it off, after all, it is already wounded

Rumble
May 17, 2007, 04:42 PM
Okay, with the newer site and different pictures, which look more "realistic," at least, it sure seems to be a beeg peeg. But it's not quite as big as one might believe--it looks like the one picture with the kid behind it actually had the kid back by the tree, so he looked smaller. I'm still not seeing a whole lot of fist-sized holes, but...whatever.

Still, that's one enormous animal. I certainly would have done what was necessary to finish it off, because I'd be worried it would come find me if I didn't. Yeesh.

GotGlock
May 17, 2007, 05:01 PM
They shot it in a fenced in area, thats not hunting, thats killing the family pet. I'll admit its a huge hog, but thats some real crappy hunting. :fire:

30 cal slob
May 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
what a waste.

they should have parachuted a few dozen of those big pigs into tehran.

rxraptor02
May 17, 2007, 05:12 PM
That is one large hog. The owner of the fenced 200 acre are is running a business and the guy was willing to pay for the hunt. There are better ways to hunt. But if thats what they want to do it is their choice.

I bet the gun was enough for the hog, it just looks like the kids shots were off.

kungfuhippie
May 17, 2007, 05:27 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m211/Bigamhuntr/IMG_2196.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m211/Bigamhuntr/IMG_2189.jpg
for those who don't want to click links
-I doubt they get that big in PRK-(well the non-human pigs:neener: ) (not refering to cops:rolleyes: ) But I've seen 200+ pounders-I may just have to give this a try...I think I'll use a rifle.

whitetiger7654
May 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
Like I said I'm no hunter. But I'm glad I'm not the only one here and on that other site who thinks like I do and questioned the kill.

Geno
May 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
I call fake on both set of pics. Neither set looks legit. Look around the edges of the hog...what's that shaddow and grass-looking stuff on the right hand side? Foul.

CZ.22
May 17, 2007, 06:18 PM
R.O.U.S.

koja48
May 17, 2007, 11:04 PM
Dunno if it's fake or not, but that sucker is big enough to have a north & south pole and a gravitational field . . .

68'chevelle
May 18, 2007, 01:21 AM
I knew a pig farmer he had pigs that weighed every bit of 1000 pounds and didn't look that big, fenced in property is not hunting, I hunt on a 2000 acre
mountain with a Marlin .444 or a M1903 with a scope (one shot kill) this isn't my rifle but looks exactly the same.http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/fangfighter_2006/M1903%20Springfield/th_Picture_0096.jpg

Geno
May 18, 2007, 01:42 AM
Excellent point '68...

I too have seen 1,000 Lbs domestic pigs on the farm. This pig, if authentic, seriously would weigh in around 2,000 to 2,500 Lbs.

They didn't even to a good job of the "trickery". Like I said, check the shaddows of grass. Also, if you look close, you can see picture details "inside" the pig. :)

Doc2005

kungfuhippie
May 18, 2007, 02:14 AM
I changed my mind, they altered the photo, or took strange perspective shots. Google "shot boar huge" and you will see some monsters-but none are like that. I've see 700+lb pigs on the farm too...something seams wrong.

obxned
May 18, 2007, 02:52 AM
Wish I could have seen it in person!

Joe D
May 18, 2007, 08:05 AM
Can we all say Photo Shop together. Hogzilla proved to be a good bit smaller than advertised. These "Good Ole Boys" have chumped you. Who says Southerners are dumb.

Afy
May 18, 2007, 08:53 AM
Ah well... good for them.

Personally I couldnt care less if it is a chop/ethical etc. Feral pigs are a problem and vermin. They need extermination..

Double Naught Spy
May 18, 2007, 10:37 AM
Interesting how the number of hits went from 16 to 10 between the different web sites. I still don't see the fist-sized holes.

I wonder if they hunt other feral livestock? I understand feral bulls can be pretty dangerous.

kungfuhippie
May 18, 2007, 10:49 AM
Who says Southerners are dumb.
Once I bothered to look up close at the photos...Don't use these guys to prove the south has smart guys...They are doing 2nd rate photoshop to make mr. piggy larger than life. That's why the revolver is on him, they wanted a reference piece that was shrunken down. Notice in the photos above I posted the revolver is proportionally off from one photo to another, also that yellow "target" is on the barrel in one photo and disapears in the next...

jerkface11
May 18, 2007, 11:20 AM
Why do you guys keep expecting fist sized holes? He was shooting a .500S&W not a 4 bore double. Maybe you should look for half inch holes.

kungfuhippie
May 18, 2007, 12:05 PM
Why do you guys keep expecting fist sized holes?
monsterpig.com has been changed, yesterday it talked about three hours, 16 rds. and fist sized holes. Now that's all gone. Now they are talking about a TV interview today...I think they took that down to avoid bad press when they go on TV and plug the website. I wouldn't expect fist sized holes, unless they were exit wounds. He may have got a 1/2 ton porker, but the photos are doctored to make porky look larger than life.

jeepmor
May 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
2nd Mother in Law w/o her Dentures, I can beleive that.....:neener:

jeepmor

Browns Fan
May 18, 2007, 01:25 PM
I believe the hog is real alright... I just dont believe an 11 yr old can handle a S&W .500!:scrutiny:

Geno
May 18, 2007, 05:26 PM
Fist-sized holes, huh? O'kay, but don't blame me. I took this ram in Texas with a .300 Wea. Mag, 150 Gr. at 200ish yards. The poor ram turned as I fired...as he was at about 200 yards, distance over time, well, he had turned juuuuuust enough...let's call it a 150 grain suppository...Lordy...there wasn't anything left of the back side. Now, that’s a fist-sized hole. I don’t see any fist-sized holes in this hog.

Note that the picture is cloudy because I had to take a digital pic of an old color photograph from 1986. Not the best quality in that manner.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/HuntGuts.jpg

Shadow Shock
May 18, 2007, 08:07 PM
16 shots with a S&W .500? were was he shooting? the hindquarters? However I know ferral hog are tough. We were checking hog traps on a freinds property before I got my .45, and the only gun we had in the truck was a Marlin semi-auto .22lr. We saw one in a trap and I shot him pointblank in the head. It had allways worked, but not this time. It took 15min, and 17 point-blank head shots befor he finally stopped moving and breathing. When I say point-blank, I mean with the barrel pressed against his head. That is a little extreme. But I don't believe for a second that a hog that big was found

tantrix
May 18, 2007, 08:47 PM
Since I have extensive experience hog hunting, here's a copy of my post from over at GT:

I hog hunt alot, and there's no way it should have taken that many shots with that caliber. I use a 6.5" Ruger Super Single Six in .22lr/.22WMR and a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I don't use the .44 unless the hog gets away from my dogs and charges me or it's a long range shot. A good number of his shots missed vitals which is why the hog kept running for so long. I've dropped many hogs well over 200lbs with the .22lr and a well placed shot. My biggest boar weighed in at 327lbs and 1 shot from the .44 dropped him where he stood.

Here's a pic of one of my bay dogs doing his thing:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5337/hogdog1dy8.jpg

My 2nd post:

Anyways, here's my take on the photo being real/fake:

The hog is real, however the size & weight I do not believe to be accurate. Photos can be deceiving especially outdoors where you can have people pose a few feet behind an animal (making them look smaller compared to the animal) and have any angle available to you to take the pic that pronounces the size of the animal the most. The weight could be correct, but the pics indeed look too over the top.

This boar was supposedly 1,051lbs but if you look at the snopes link, the boar pictured there weighed in at over 1100lbs and looks smaller than this one (which seems accurate from the hogs I've killed).

I've seen all different weights of hogs and from my experience, the hog in the snopes pictures are more accurate as far as size/weight is concerned. The pic of the 1100lb hog looks accurate to me, while the picture of the 1,051lb one looks exaggerated in the photo where the hog is lying horizontally. The boy is either very small, actually posing a few feet behind the animal which sadly some hunters do to make the animal appear larger, or of course...edited.

I think the hog in the photo appears to be over the 1,051lbs the website claims it weighed in at. Judging solely on the photo, it looks like it would be more like 1,500+ lbs. Who knows.

rkh
May 18, 2007, 09:15 PM
So how would you get your 1000 pound hog home?

Front-end loader?

Len S
May 18, 2007, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE]So how would you get your 1000 pound hog home?

Front-end loader?[/QUOTE
I heard or read a while back that the American Indian thought the white man foolish. When a indian kills a moose you move the camp to the moose. When white man kills a moose he moves the moose to camp.:confused:

Emeril always says the saddle of wild boar is the best. Someone should call him:evil:

Len

tnieto2004
May 19, 2007, 03:13 AM
They said on one of the sites that they had been watching this hog and saw who would pay to shoot it .. Who knows what this thing was being fed .. It was in a fenced in area .. Dunno how much of hunting that is but to each their own

H&Hhunter
May 19, 2007, 03:23 PM
A couple of things strike me right off. First that hog has little or no "wild" or "euro" genes in him at all. The ears are the first dead give away. Wild hogs have small rounded ears they develop these within a couple of generations of being wild and mixing in with Euro genes. Farm hags have the large floppy ears like the one in the picture.

The story of 16 rounds with the .500 doesn't surprise me one little tiny bit. Because the .500 isn't all that powerful for one and two the kid probably can't shoot it that well. I've seen hogs walk away from less then perfect hits with a .500 Linebaugh. There are NO hand held wheel guns that produce enough power to be considered a "stopper" on large tough animals. PERIOD.

But in my opinion there is no way that hog was wild and free roaming given the scenario reported. I have to think that it was a raised hog that was released into a high fenced area.

It is a big hog. Maybe even a 1000 lbr but I doubt that it was killed in a free ranging area. I doubt that it was a wild pig.

SoCalShooter
May 19, 2007, 07:56 PM
I just fail to believe that there is a hog that large roaming around. The thing could have eaten the kid with no problems. Fenced I would believe it, its been well fed.

Double Naught Spy
May 19, 2007, 08:13 PM
I doubt that it was a wild pig.

But it could be a feral pig. Ear size doesn't immediately shrink just because a pig is outside its pen, or because it is a first or second generation born in the wild. Adaptations, such as ear size shrinkage, may take several generations to be dominant.

sharkhunter2018
May 19, 2007, 08:19 PM
National Geographic needs to investigate this one, like they did with Hogzilla. I can't seem to find my waders...:D

H&Hhunter
May 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
H&Hhunter writes,

Wild hogs have small rounded ears they develop these within a couple of generations of being wild and mixing in with Euro genes.

Double Naught replies,

Ear size doesn't immediately shrink just because a pig is outside its pen, or because it is a first or second generation born in the wild. Adaptations, such as ear size shrinkage, may take several generations to be dominant.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for straightening that out for us..:rolleyes:

H&H

welldoya
May 20, 2007, 12:54 AM
Real or not, I wouldn't be bragging about shooting a hog in a 200 acre fenced in area. Isn't that commonly known as a pasture ?

68'chevelle
May 20, 2007, 02:01 AM
I really first got in to wild hog hunting when I was 7 and hat was in a restricted area owened by a phosphate mine, That place was covered with
big pigs and many other wildlife and armed only with pocket knives rope and 5 pit bulls that where traned to kill (It don't get any better) I rememder we where out there at 4:30 and the dogs got a sal to the ground around 3:00 about 50 yards away, running as fast as we could threw bryer bush about 3 ft. high and 4 in. thick it took all me and 4 other guys to pull the dogs off the sal and to tie the to a tree 30 yards away and run back to help the other two guys tie the sal and and drag the sal was a 550 pound american razer-back piny woods rooter back to the truck 100 yards in the other direction,
needless to say we were dog tired, the next week we got a 750 pound farel hog with 3in. tusk but we learned from our mistakes and brought the truck with us.

Phaetos
May 20, 2007, 03:22 AM
Forgive my ignorance here, but the other day that site said it was taken with a S&W .500 customized. Today it reads "S&W customized .50 caliber revolver". Is there a distinction?

H&Hhunter
May 20, 2007, 07:57 AM
No an S&W .500 and .50 are the same thing.

HeedJSU
May 20, 2007, 09:09 AM
HOLY F! ANNISTON AL? THAT'S 10 MINUTES FROM WHERE I GO TO SCHOOL!!!

Pardon the shock and the shouting, But I'm gonna do some research and see what I can find out. If there was really a pig that big killed on my doorstep like they say, the university would know about it. I'll do some digging and let you guys know what I come up with.

Justin.

kungfuhippie
May 20, 2007, 11:11 AM
Anyone who wants to...this is new see how a bunch of animal rights :cuss: can be rude over the internet. It's nice to see how a bunch of losers prove my theory that most of these "movements" are based on emotion with no logic involved at all. Some emails border on death threats...

I thought the comments funny, in a twisted way:evil:

(the page was nice enough to black out the naughty words for us ;) )

http://www.monsterpig.com/negative_comments.htm

welldoya
May 20, 2007, 11:50 AM
I'm a hunter, mostly deer, but I've gotta say, this hog should not have died that way. Apparently this kid couldn't shoot worth a flip with that big revolver and had no business hunting with it. If he had opportunity to shoot several times, if he was a decent shot, it shouldn't have taken over a couple of shots. I've killed several dozen deer, shoot a 30/06 and have never had run more than 75 yards. Pick your shots and hit where you aim.
Sounds to me like egos and bragging rights are what this "hunt"
was about.

TCB in TN
May 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
I grew up raising hogs; domestic boars get big, especially after they turn 3 or 4. They also typically get ill and mean. The largest boar we had back then was a 3-year-old boar we sold. He was just a shade over 800lbs. Saw several that others had that was bigger than he was. At one of the local fairs a guy had one that was weighed at 1100lbs. BTW there is another option besides feral or wild. Locally some folks have started crossing big Russian boars over domestic sows to increase the size. They typically get the Russian look and disposition but increase in size. Also locally there are quite a few wild crosses like this. A buddy of mine does a lot of hunting of problem hogs (on local farms) he killed a boar (Russian type) a couple of years ago that weighed in at over 600lbs and had about 7 inch tushes. I have seen others larger than that.

As for the whole hunting lodge thing, well its not my cup of tea but IMHO it is supposed to be a free country and if you want a sure thing hunt and are willing to pay for it then fine by me. Most folks on here would pitch a fit if they were criticized for how they used their private property, but for some reason many feel fine doing that to others. Live and let live is my preference on that subject.

JohnBT
May 20, 2007, 01:54 PM
I don't care what they do with their property...

...as long as they don't call shooting penned animals hunting.

John

kungfuhippie
May 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
<warning this is a rant>
IMHO sometimes we THR community) come across as not giving a damn about anyone's civil rights as long no guns are involved. Call penned animal shooting hunting, call Rosie Odonnel thin-it doesn't mean it really is, but the 1st Amendment guarantees that you can call it that. Private property should be kept private-but unless the activities taking place there are illegal-butt out, even if you object to what they are doing. How many people object to what you do on your own land?
<rant off>
I think the kid should have used an appropriate firearm (rifle or shotgun) and decent shot placement, I dispise the idea of shooting hogs or any other animal when they are captive...Fair chase is a better method. If it was penned/"guaranteed"/farm raised hunting, this kid has a twisted view of hunting thanks to the adults in his life.

JohnBT
May 20, 2007, 06:43 PM

Double Naught Spy
May 20, 2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for straightening that out for us..

H&H

You are welcome...but given the roll eyes, you seem to indicate your understanding of biology is somehow different.

PotatoJudge
May 20, 2007, 07:41 PM
Nah, it'd just that (to him) you pointed out the obvious. Your statement might have been a revelation to Lamarck, but nowadays we know better.

I'm curious about the genetics of how and why the animals change so rapidly, and what changes are common to feral swine elsewhere. The color I get, but smaller ears in Texas? Unusual, generally speaking.

H&Hhunter
May 20, 2007, 10:21 PM
DNS,

Can you not see that in your post you parroted my statement about how many generations it takes for the wild genes to start to show in a feral hog?

Not only do you parrot my statement you make it out like it is some kind of a major revelation on your part.

That is what the rolling eyes are about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got dozens of pictures of Texas feral hogs taken from an area where the genetics are pretty heavy in the Euro department. The ears are the dead give away. Color phase tends to get more wild (tan or gray) but I've seen spotted pigs with major Euro traits as well.

Some guys out where I hunt killed a gigantic wild boar pot belly cross a couple of years ago. They come in all shapes and sizes.;)

I really don't have a problem with these guys going to some "game farm" and shooting a porker. I mean when you slow down and look at it from a logical stand point all domestic pigs in general are raises for one purpose and one purpose only.

To be slaughtered at some point for human consumption. This one just got to live a lot longer than most. As far as the sloppy shooting goes, what more would you expect from an 11 year old with a gargantuan hand gun and a serious case of the shakes when that massive piggy was in his sights.

What I do have a problem with is the dishonesty in the reporting of the event. It should read something like " boy shoots farm pig in enclosure, makes a poor shot and later the pig died."

The other thing I have a problem with is the wacko nut animal rights nut jobs who come out of their holes to comment on this basic non event. Millions of pigs are killed every year for human consumption. Yet when it is done outside of a commercial slaughter house some how it's a problem? Idiots.

68'chevelle
May 21, 2007, 12:43 AM
First of all who in the world is dumb enough to shoot a hog with a handgun
for 3 hours in a 200 acre fenced in area, and second of all isn't illegal for a minor to use a handgun, correct me if I'm wrong.

PotatoJudge
May 21, 2007, 01:14 AM
isn't illegal for a minor to use a handgun

It's illegal to buy one until 21 and illegal to own one under 18. It's legal to use one at any age, but you can't buy handgun ammo until 21. It's a pretty messed up little set of rules. Just consider the lever action rifle in 44 magnum (a handgun round), or the pistol in 22 long rifle (a rifle round, obviously, of sorts).

It was said that it was a suprise for the kid to have him shoot. Maybe not the best idea, considering the need to be prepared.

Atticus_1354
May 21, 2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah that is my problem. Will be getting a lever in .44 mag and can't even buy ammo because I'm only 18. I can buy .22 lr just fine, but I had to get my sis to buy me some .22 shorts for pest control. I got a guy to sell me .45 acp after a range trip, but that was because he new it was for my dad. Pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.

Matt G
May 21, 2007, 02:49 AM
Foolishness.

The animal is within normal specs, with foreshortened photo-taking techniques. Someone is having fun making ridiculous claims.

qajaq59
May 21, 2007, 08:01 AM
So how would you get your 1000 pound hog home? Oh that's easy.... Just walk him to the house and THEN shoot him. :evil:

Art Eatman
May 21, 2007, 10:48 AM
Cold-blooded practicality: Go back and look at the frontal picture, at the hog's mouth. I don't care if the silly thing only weighed 200 or 300 pounds. You get him deciding he oughta go AT you instead of away, and you can be in deep doo-doo in a heartbeat.

If a big hog stays in a 200-acre pasture, it's because he's happy there, not because of a normal wire fence of the sheep-and-goat variety. Hogs are quite capable of making a hole to go under a fence. Not many 200-acre pastures have chain link fencing that starts from a foot or two underground.

Back some forty years ago, ranchers around the Texas Hill Country near Leakey had trouble with feral Russian/domestic-mix hogs. Killing lambs and kids in that sheep/goat country. The hogs made holes under the fences. The ranchers figured out booby-trap fusing, and used dynamite. It rained hog and coyote parts fairly regularly for a couple of years...

About all you can say of feral hogs is that there's some edible meat. That's the only difference between them and coyotes or prairie dogs. (Except that hogs are far more destructive.) How somebody kills one of the (bleeping) things is about as important as how you kill a cockroach or a housefly.

IMO, FWIW. :)

Art

kungfuhippie
May 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
kills one of the (bleeping) things is about as important as how you kill a cockroach or a housefly.

I always go for the one swat one kill method for flies and roaches.

jerkface11
May 22, 2007, 10:26 AM
Who cares if the pig was in a fenced area? It was 200 acres! Not like you could stand there and see the whole area at once. Plus it was a PIG. If it had been wild it needed to be shot because if it's destructive nature. If it wasn't wild it was bred to be killed. Not like this was some rare species. Or even a native one.

TCB in TN
May 23, 2007, 04:17 AM
The only thing I would like to add to the conversation is this, many boar (especially those with a heavy infusion of Russian blood) will have this gristle plate that covers the ribs, which are quite thick and stout as well. I have personally shot a couple of hogs that my bullet didn't punch through, and seen several others. Especially if you get a less than direct 90 degree shot at them. My first experience with that was a 40 yard shot with a 30-06 that it hit the plate, hit the rib, and glance up and came out the skin at the top of the ribs. It broke the rib, but didn't punch through. Now I didn't see this hog, and don't know if he had the "armor" plate but if he did then even a relatively good shot with even such a powerful handgun would be much less effective than most people would imagine.

BTW Art is correct, hogs are worse than coyotes, they will kill/eat anything they can, they destroy fence like it is nothing, wipe out crops, and after seeing what they do to a dog that is in the wrong place at the wrong time, I can assure you that they would do a number on any of us that was foolish enough or unable to NOT get out of the way.

HeedJSU
May 23, 2007, 01:35 PM
Aight guys, I guess it's real. Here's the local newspaper story.

It's Real....Look! (http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/2007/as-outdoors-0523-bstrickland-7e22x5106.htm)

Justin

PotatoJudge
May 23, 2007, 01:39 PM
The link requires a subscription, can you copy and paste?

HeedJSU
May 23, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hog heaven: Taxidermist confirms monster pig
By Bran Strickland
Star Sports Editor
05-23-2007
Jamison Stone, left, and guide Keith O'Neal of Southeastern Trophy Hunters stand by the monster pig taken by Stone. The pig weighed in at 1,051 pounds. Photo: Southeastern Trophy Hunters

DELTA — It's real.

And it's big.

It's a really big pig.

Soon after the story began circulating on the Internet of 11-year-old Jamison Stone's harvest of a 1,051-pound feral hog in Delta, the doubters came out in droves.

But Jerry Cunningham, of Jerry's Taxidermy in Oxford, says he saw it right after it was taken. And he's the one currently in possession of the poker.

Cunningham was called on to handle the mounting of the animal. He said they told him it was a giant, and, after laying eyes on the animal, he says they weren't exaggerating.

“Biggest thing I'd ever seen,” he said. “… It's huge.”

According to Mike Stone, Jamison's father, the hog weighed 1,051 pounds.

It was weighed at the Clay County Farmer's Exchange in Lineville. Workers at the co-op verified that the scales used, basic truck scales, were recently certified by the state. However, no workers from the co-op were present when the hog was weighed.

Stone, a Pickensville resident, said the hog was also measured two different ways. Suspended from rear hoof to snout, he was 10 feet, 7 inches. From snout to tail, it was just more than 9 feet.

The only measurements that can currently be verified — because the hog is in post-processing mode — are sizes of the hog from the shoulder up, the method that the Stones are using to preserve their trophy. Cunningham will have to use those measurements to create a form for the mount, as prefab mounts do not come that big.

The circumference of the hog's head (across the ears) is 54 inches.

Around its shoulders, it's 74 inches.

And the length of its snout — from its eyes to the end of its nose — is 11 inches.

“I couldn't believe it,” Jamison said after he first saw it. “It was the size of a cow. It was huge.”

Perhaps as astounding as the size of the hog was how the story got out — or didn't. The old adage of news traveling fast in a small town wasn't quite the case.

Driving around the dusty backroads of the rural community of Delta, story of the monster pig wasn't widely known. Even in nearby Lineville, the picture that appeared on the front page of Tuesday's Anniston Star was the first many people had heard about it. But in cyberspace, the news has traveled a great deal faster. And let's just say people have gone hog wild.

In attempts to do something nice for his young son, Mike Stone created a Web site, www.monsterpig.com, to help show off his kill. He also created it to help cut down on the time of sending e-mail out to family and friends.

However, the simple concept of the Web site has grown into much, much more.

At the site is a simple recount of the animal, its size and what was used to harvest the hog. It also includes pictures, a way to contact Jamison and some of the e-mails he received — good and bad.

According to Stone, the host for the Web site (www.godaddy.com) said the number of requests — or hits — totaled 1,246,464 as of Monday.

Calls have come all the way from California, where Jamison appeared on a radio talk show. According to Mike Stone and the Web site, Jamison has gotten words of congratulation from Rickey Medlocke of Lynyrd Skynyrd, country music star Kenny Chesney, Tom Knapp of Benelli firearms and Jerry Miculek of Smith & Wesson.

The hunt

Just as it goes with skinning cats, there's more than one way to harvest a hog.

Some track them with dogs. Some wait them out in tree stands, and others — braver ones — stalk-hunt the creatures.

The Stones, manned with guides Keith O'Neal and Chris Williams, chose the latter when purchasing the hunt from Eddy Borden of Lost Creek Plantation.

It wasn't Stone's first time hog hunting at the preserve. Not long before his son's harvest, he had taken a feral swine himself. At the time, he said he was quite proud of it.

“It was about 600 pounds,” he said. “I thought it was massive at the time.”

After using the stalk-hunting method, the weapon of choice was a modified .50-caliber pistol that had been modified with a holographic scope and a ported barrel to cut down on some its recoil. It was also packing a 350-grain Horaday bullet.

They ventured out and found the hog, and that's when the ordeal started.

To kill the massive beast, 16 shots were fired — all by Jamison. Approximately nine landed. They tracked — and sometimes were forced to avoid — the hog for more than three hours.

Just how big again?

The elder Stone says all he really knew was it was a big pig. Just how big it was — with respect to records — he didn't know.

“It was a pretty uneventful thing until the day after,” Mike Stone said. “I hadn't seen a lot of pigs up close. I didn't know it was a monster pig. I just knew it was a big as a cow.”

It wasn't until the day after the hunt when Stone received an e-mail from a friend informing him that, some time ago, Hogzilla had been found to be only 800 pounds (in a National Geographic documentary on the hog). Chris Griffin, who killed the Hogzilla, had said it was in excess of 1,000 pounds.

“When all that happened, I looked over at my wife and said, 'This is a big deal,'” he said. “Hogzilla wasn't even as big as the one Jamison killed.”

State records on feral swine are not kept by the Alabama Department of Conservation.

According to biologists, pigs such as Hogzilla and this one are not the norm. Average free-roaming feral swine grow to modest sizes compared to this beast.

“You might get a boar that weighs 300 or so,” said Dr. Jim Armstrong, Extension Wildlife Specialist and Associate Professor for Auburn University's School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences. “That's a big pig.”

HeedJSU
May 23, 2007, 01:41 PM
And it didn't require a subscription for me...I just went to the main page...
www.annistonstar.com and found it from there.

I don't take the star.

Justin

EDIT: Sorry guys, I was at school on their wireless when I found the page, I guess that's why it didn't require a a subscription. sorry again.

Justin

welldoya
May 25, 2007, 12:19 PM
I don't care who's hog it was or how big the area was - there is no reason to not kill an animal quickly and humanely. I'm no tree hugger, I've been hunting for 45 years and have killed everything from doves to deer to hogs.
Yes, hogs are killed everyday in slaughter houses but I'm pretty sure it doesn't take hours to do it. These people were in this for bragging rights and were either too lazy or too inept to actually hunt like true hunters.
Anybody who would follow a hog around for hours and let a kid take potshots at him with a gun he has no business using is not a hunter.
It's people like this that give hunting a bad name.

Sisco
May 25, 2007, 07:06 PM
11 year old bags 1050 lb hog. Wouldn't try to kill that one with an air rifle!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html

http://www.foxnews.com/images/286393/2_21_052507_MonsterPig.jpg

GoRon
May 25, 2007, 07:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070525/ap_on_fe_st/monster_pig_3;_ylt=AqziA.aDfRjHvtBzRSy1fZ8E1vAI

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Hogzilla is being made into a horror movie. But the sequel may be even bigger: Meet Monster Pig. An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.

If the claims are accurate, Jamison Stone's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.

Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet in length.
National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long....

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070525/capt.a380d39070604b3a99b8346b8522a57c.monster_pig_aljr601.jpg?x=380&y=256&sig=JcZWByxqrkeeQHEkkQHzqA--

N3rday
May 25, 2007, 07:25 PM
O_O

Bazooka Joe71
May 25, 2007, 07:26 PM
Do I hear an echo?

RRRRepeat

CountGlockula
May 25, 2007, 07:32 PM
Year supply of bacon and ham. Mmmm.

That thing is huge!!!

kingpin008
May 25, 2007, 07:41 PM
That can't be real.

Steak
May 25, 2007, 07:42 PM
What in the Heck is in the water down there in Alabama?

That is one big swine!

PRazz
May 25, 2007, 07:43 PM
Need some help dragging THAT out of the woods. Is that pig for real?

meef
May 25, 2007, 07:46 PM
He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.:what:

Now there's some food for thought for the people who are always posting asking things like "what handgun caliber for bear", etc.

Eight times... three hours......

Hmmm......

lacoochee
May 25, 2007, 07:47 PM
Photoshop is soooo cool. :scrutiny:

imprezagm4
May 25, 2007, 07:48 PM
Oh my goodness... must be fake... listen to this.

Jamison, meanwhile, has been offered a small part in "The Legend of Hogzilla," a small-time horror flick based on the tale of the Georgia boar. The movie is holding casting calls with plans to begin filming in Georgia.

The Anniston Star reported that congratulatory calls have come all the way from California, where Jamison appeared on a radio talk show. Jamison apparently has gotten words of congratulation from Rickey Medlocke of Lynyrd Skynyrd, country music star Kenny Chesney, Tom Knapp of Benelli firearms and Jerry Miculek of Smith & Wesson.

Jamison is enjoying the newfound celebrity generated by the hog hunt, but he said he prefers hunting pheasants to monster pigs.

"They are a little less dangerous."

Guns R Tools
May 25, 2007, 07:51 PM
It's large one but the boy is posing little far from the pig to make it look much bigger than it actually is.

pdowg881
May 25, 2007, 08:10 PM
You can see he is far behind the hog and resting his arms on his knee.

brighamr
May 25, 2007, 08:14 PM
I wonder how many shots it would've took with a .50 BMG to the head....

And yes IMO, the boy is strategically placed to make the hog look larger than life

Hazzard
May 25, 2007, 09:49 PM
The S&W .500 has an overall length of 15". Using that as a point of "perspective", the hog in the picture would be nearly 5' from the top of it's back to the underside of it's belly. On it's feet, that would make it over 6' tall at the shoulder. I'm not disputing that the hog weighs that much, just that the picture was taken for maximum effect.

Grumulkin
May 25, 2007, 09:53 PM
I'd really like to see the hog but unfortunately, I couldn't get any of the above links to work.

torpid
May 25, 2007, 11:09 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58461&d=1180145328

ChuckB
May 25, 2007, 11:16 PM
I just read that an 11 year old boy killed a giganto wild hog, much bigger than the infamous "Hogzilla". What makes me angry is that, according to the news report, he shot it eight times with a .500 revolver, then chased it for three hours:eek: before dispatching it with a final, close-up shot. My, doesn't that look good to the anti's out there! I hope his daddy is right proud of him- and his own self.

Chuck:fire:

H&Hhunter
May 26, 2007, 12:09 AM
Chuck when the story first came out it was 16 shots.

PWK
May 26, 2007, 12:38 AM
Who gives a rats tail end what some anti thinks? Not everybody can make a clean kill on a gnat at 500 yards. (I exaggerate to illustrate the absurdity of giving this kid a hard time for however many shots it takes.) If it takes five shots or 8 shots or 16 shots to finally kill the beast then that what it takes. I seriously doubt his hunting companions were saying "just wing it son so we can chase it for three hours".

ChuckB
May 26, 2007, 12:56 AM
Not my point. Ethical hunters, as most here certainly are, try for a clean, humane kill, often passing up a questionable shot. This monster would have been a challenge for a 30-06, but a .500 just made him angry.
Chuck

meef
May 26, 2007, 01:59 AM
Torpid.....

That's funny!

:D:D:D

Junkyard Dog
May 26, 2007, 02:21 AM
Godzilla vs Hogzilla
Coming to a theatre near you

tincat2
May 26, 2007, 03:06 AM
I realize that this pig might have been a pest or even a threat to someone or something important, but the rest of the story doesn't enhance my day. The story I read had the father and at least one other 'hunter' w/rifles following the kid as backup, so a humane dispatch of a pest doesn't appear to be the goal here, and if not, what was the point? To give the kid some kind of satisfaction or fame? I'd like to feel that a proficiency in mathematics, a more than passing familiarity with world history, or even a competence in a language(including, but not limited to, the kid's native tongue) would receive as much( or God forbid, even more) dedication and attention as did the hectoring and pursuit that was devoted to slaughtering this remarkable pig. Getting a hair off the tail of this thing without killing or drugging it(by wit and knowledge) and living to tell the story would be an entertainment more worthy of a man's sporting efforts than this dragged out exhibition of one's ability to pull the trigger on some giant handgun.

torpid
May 26, 2007, 04:30 AM
Won't somebody please think of the piglets!

hexidismal
May 26, 2007, 05:49 AM
Inspired me with your parody entry torpid.
So here's my entry ... took me a LOT longer than I planned, I'll tell you that. Notice I completely reconstructed the woods where the people were sitting, the kid especially.. quite frankly it wasn't worth it.. hehe .. hopefully you guys will get a kick out of it though. :Dhttp://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/hexidismal29/2189parfinal2b2-2.jpg

Notch
May 26, 2007, 10:07 AM
Sorry I have to use the term but ...What a bunch of hogwash... Its a big pig, dont get me wrong, but the cheezy forced perspective in a few of the photographs does nothing but make them look like a bunch of hucksters shilling for the gamefarm. Look at one of the pics in which the revolver is laying on the pig, it nearly spans its head. Now look at the pic in which "lil arbucle is holding the firearm... Ooops! I guess that if'n ya do your huntin in a "gamefarm" yur going to need to do a little embelishment.

His dad needs to buy him a bike and stop ignoring a very real problem that is going to negatively effect his life in a very profound way.

BTW...That aint huntin.

Dixie_Amazon
May 26, 2007, 11:51 AM
The dad has set up a website, but it is down since the story was on FOX News this morning. http://www.monsterpig.com/

grimjaw
May 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
<still laughing at hexidismal's post>

I believe that the first shot with the four men in baseball caps posing in the background was pretty close to not faked, although they did take advantage of perspective to make the hog seem a little bigger. Nothing fake about that, just what they teach you in make-um-pretty school.

After seeing a hog repeatedly try to eat anything live or dead, including its feeder, good riddance to lots of bacon.

jm

obm
May 26, 2007, 01:09 PM
If it takes five shots or 8 shots or 16 shots to finally kill the beast then that what it takes. I seriously doubt his hunting companions were saying "just wing it son so we can chase it for three hours".

problem is that there were guides with rifles during the hunt:
(from: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html)

"His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast with 5-inch tusks decided to charge."

the guides/dad could have put it down humanely. i'm sure the dad really wanted to be proud of his son to take such a large animal on his own. i don't want to burst his bubble or his son's, but i think most ethical hunters would agree this was poor judgment.

Gaucho Gringo
May 26, 2007, 02:18 PM
When I was a kid, my dad in reply to me looking for someone "they went to feed the hogs and fell in". I really did not understand this until I got older. My dad grew up on a farm.

old4x4
May 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
Looks like my second Mother-In-Law without her dentures and make-up.

Biker

Mouthful of iced tea on the keyboard...thanks :D

Made me laugh, even with a hangover!

kungfuhippie
May 26, 2007, 07:38 PM
Okay, now I'm just angry at all this,
Just to clarifty-now that I see everyone but the kid had rifles-it was in no way a humane hunt. The kid fired 16 shots, 7 missed, 8 hits were at a distance, and the nineth was at point blank range to finish it off. IMHO the kid could have handled a rifle better than the revolver, and he's dad should have finished the job when he saw that the kid wasn't able to do so quickly and humanely. My dad took me fishing, we had loads of fun, we didn't even need to land "troutzilla" and make a website and get on the news I enjoyed all but one fishing trip with him.

This isn't hunting, it's like when we took grandpa to the hatchery cause he was too bad off to get to the lake. IIRC he landed 6 trout, I got two, and dad watched. It wasn't fishing, I didn't even use bait. I saw it as assisted suicide for mistreated fish. Though the two trout I caught that day were bigger than any others before or sense I don't count them as the biggest trout. You might as well raise a pig to be that size, let it loose int he back yard and spend the afternoon killing it.

Okay, done ranting, off the soap box.

TySixtus
May 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
Does it seem suspicious to anyone else that an 11 year old was even able to handle a .500?

Ty

Radagast
May 27, 2007, 01:17 AM
Biker get's the award for best post in this thread!

hexidismal
May 27, 2007, 01:40 AM
Note: This is basically a duplicate of my post on TFL , with some minor alterations for THR.

I'd like to take a minute here to address all the comments of how these images are "so clearly" photoshop work. This line of discussion interests me, as knowing and understanding the makeup of digital images is something I do as part of my living, and so I'd like to share my thoughts with you. I'd like to use two specific graphic images as comparison. First I'd like to show you an image which is real. Rather than glut up the post, I'll provide a link. I do not know where this image originates from, only that it was posted here by kungfuhippie in post #30
Here is the first pic, you'll be referring back to this one.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m211/Bigamhuntr/IMG_2189.jpg

Now, thats a big pig ! Do you think that image is a photoshop work ? Think again.
Ok, what makes me think that ? Some of you no doubt are familiar with exif data, and some of you I'm sure are not. So let me explain that as quickly as possible. Exif data is info hidden inside a digital photograph. It can be easily accessed with many programs, but understanding it all is another thing entirely. All cameras (and photoshop) leave behind a digital trail in the data, and this can tell us a lot of things. One important thing to note is that exif data can be modified and faked. IF one has all the appropriate data relevant to a specific camera it can be done, but it would be tedious.
Now, I'm not going to give a ton of examples here as to the how and why, but I am MOSTLY satisfied that this particular image is direct unaltered JPG upload from a Canon A75. (And to other graphics people, no I'm not just looking at the camera name.. I'm quite qualified to interpret all exif data). But why do I say I'm only MOSTLY convinced ? Well, that's interesting. See, the exif data has a slight anomaly when compared to this next image, which was taken(according to the data), with the same model camera just under 3 minutes later. Same model, and a near number label would of course lead one to believe it's the same camera used.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m211/Bigamhuntr/IMG_2196.jpg

Which would of course make sense. The problem ? I don't have a access to a canon A75 (actually if anyone is interested to play detective, and does have one, PM me) The aforementioned anomaly MIGHT lead me to believe that it was a different camera of the same model, or perhaps a different memory module, but could just as easily be an automatic setting variable. Everything else is consistent with being perfectly real and unaltered. I only mentioned the anomaly as a possible, though highly unlikely, sign of exif tampering.
Wow.. this is getting really long .. still with me people ? Anyway , in the first pic, I'll just keep it short and say I can find no evidence of digital manipulation. So, what I'm saying here folks, is if that first picture was altered, it is VERY GOOD WORK. Which is NOT consistent with the monsterpig.com photo . Moving on ...

To the monsterpig.com photo. The image in question, that most of you are referring to:
http://www.monsterpig.com/betterespigpic.jpg
You're correct, not real. It is both a forced perspective shot, and a digital manipulation. I can't use exif data as an example, because the data would have been altered to to include the site ad logo. You don't need to crunch the numbers though, the manipulation is so lax it easily seen. I've prepared a very rough image with some examples.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/hexidismal29/betterespigpic-copy.jpg

Well, be using the first image as a comparison here. They were shot at slightly different angles, but close enough.
Where I say "break in continuity, in all fairness this could be caused by simple bad resizing technique, go to small then back to larger from there and you've lost a lot of data and you'll get some blocky non-continuous things.. so even though it's there , lets ignore it. Why ? Because we dont need it. Compare the first pic I posted again to this one, and you'll notice there are dark hanging branches in the real pic that start on the left side of the center tree, and none on the fake. It's too prominent to be total resize loss. Oops monsterpig, I caught you .. but lets go on. Although it is partially a forced perspective (the kid is farther back then you are led to believe), also he HAS been altered to be smaller in the pic. To the uninitiated, what I refer to as "healing marks and errors" are an example of a sloppy job of reconstructing the area that would otherwise be left blank when you try to resize only part of an image. One has to repeat pixels from another part of the image, and then blend them in effectively. Obviously whoever made the image thought that a bad job of resizing would damage enough data to cover up the bad work.. but it didn't.

Well, I cant believe I bothered to get into all this, and type all this out. But hopefully this was informative to you.
-hexidismal

kungfuhippie
May 27, 2007, 03:07 AM
Great write up hexidismal!!!

PrimaryB
May 27, 2007, 09:49 AM
Hexidismal, your killing me LOL. I hope that the fine people here would not give the kid a hard time. He was doing what the 3 adults were telling him (dad and 2 guides). Which is sad.

As far as feral hogs go they are very destructive. Here at Fort Riley Kansas on the military reservation they had a program where they were shooting them from helis to rid the range roaches.

The obvious question as already asked is how can a kid shoot a S&W 500 w/350 grain load? Some of my friends won't even shoot my 50 DE. The 500 has far greater recoil.

How would people feel if I documented a bambi hunt with a 22 short revolver? Forget chasing em. I'd have the hunt on a fenced in parking lot and go after em on a quad. :evil: Never have I understood the media or for that matter most people.

Afy
May 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
Well the kid was on CNN yesterday...

tydephan
May 30, 2007, 01:21 PM
Foxnews had an exclusive with the kid today, apparently.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276386,00.html

Boy Who Killed Monster Hog Says 'It's Not Fake'
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

By Sara Bonisteel

An 11-year-old Alabama boy caught in the center of a humongous hog controversy denied his monster kill was staged Wednesday in an interview with FOXNews.com.

"I just want to say it’s not fake," said Jamison Stone of Pickensville, Ala.

Stone made news last week when the world learned of his massive kill, a 1,051-pound feral hog, which he shot eight times with a pistol on a Georgia hunting preserve. But the young man soon found himself in a media maelstrom when some Web sites questioned the veracity of the photographs.

"He did kill that pig," the boy's father, Mike Stone, told FOXNews.com. "Those pictures are not doctored."

Jamison, who recently completed the sixth grade at Christian Heritage Academy in Carrollton, Ala., shot the pig on a hunt May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation in Delta, Ga., with a .50-caliber revolver. His story made national news and the family traveled to New York to talk about their adventure, but blogs soon claimed to be able to prove the photos were faked.

"No pictures have been touched," the 11-year-old said. "They first were saying I couldn’t shoot the gun, but I could and I did."

What should have been a moment of fun in the spotlight for a middle schooler became a nightmare, with some bloggers asking Mike Stone to take measurements of his son's skull to prove his claims, he said.

"Before we got to New York this was a feel good story, everybody was excited about it," Mike Stone said. "And now all of a sudden my family is suffering because people are making fun of it and thinking that it's not real."

After Jamison bagged his pig May 3, the Stones took their prize to the Clay County Farmers Exchange in Lineville, Ga., where it weighed in at 1,051 and measured approximately 9 feet 4 inches.

In the heat of the moment, Mike Stone said, they snapped a few photographs for family and friends to share Jamison's moment of pride.

"We would have took pictures of the scales, we would have took pictures of us measuring it, we would have took pictures of all the stuff if we would have thought this was going to be some big deal," Mike Stone said.

Jerry Cunningham, owner of Jerry's Taxidermy in Oxford, Ga., said the feral hog was one of the largest he'd seen.

"They’re about as twice as big as the normal pig," Cunningham told FOXNews.com. "Five-hundred pounds is big, giant. Most of them that come in to be mounted are between 150 and 250."

On Tuesday night, Cunningham showed Jamison the hog's mounted skull. Mike Stone, who stresses to his family the importance of hunting for food, had the rest of the humongous hog made into breakfast sausage.

“We gave a lot of it away ... some of them are going to use it at church fundraising breakfasts, some of them are going to use it for school fundraising breakfasts," Mike Stone said. "We actually do have two big freezers completely full."

The boy's pig adventure is documented on http://www.monsterpig.com, where the response from the public has been about 85 percent positive, Mike Stone said.

"Regardless of what the negative e-mails say, we're not ashamed of the fact that we actually hunt," Mike Stone said.

vta33
May 30, 2007, 02:56 PM
This story needs independent verification.

WeThePeople
May 30, 2007, 03:26 PM
Check out the web site and read the "negative Comments" section. regardless of the legitimacy of the shoot, those people have no business making those comments to an 11 year old kid.

http://www.monsterpig.com/negative_comments.htm

tydephan
May 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah there are many morons in the world who wouldn't recognize the high road if it smacked them in the face.

don_hamer
May 30, 2007, 04:36 PM
Does anyone think this sounds familar? Seen it before, think its fake. Anyone else?

rufus1
May 30, 2007, 06:44 PM
They are interviewing the kid, via telephone, right now on Fox news.

tydephan
May 31, 2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-29/118055935229520.xml&storylist=alabamanews

Some more interesting details.

H&Hhunter
May 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
Like I said in the very beginning that hog doesn't look very "feral" to me.

The farm owner makes this quote,

"I have a hog preserve, but it's not a little old pen. It's 150 acres plus, all grown up and rough," he said.

My question is how exactly do you take 3 hours to kill a hog in a 150 acre pen?

This is a 100% canned put and release "hunt" all the way.

What still amazes me is the amount of attention one can get from shooting a semi tame domestic hog in a pen.

H&Hhunter
June 1, 2007, 05:34 PM
The pig had a name..:evil::D:D

The first thing that slapped me in the face when I saw that hog was that it didn't look feral AT ALL to me..

Check this out..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,277097,00.html

Art Eatman
June 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
"My question is how exactly do you take 3 hours to kill a hog in a 150 acre pen?"

The 50 or so acres of woods on my grandfather's place near Austin was dense enough that you could hunt all day long and not find anything that didn't want to be found. Or, if you spotted an alert animal, you'd better shoot in 0.1 seconds. Same sort of deal for the river-bottom land around my wife's house in south Georgia. You'd play billy hell finding a danged elephant in 150 acres of that jungle.

:), Art

foob
June 1, 2007, 08:39 PM
Feral hog...:scrutiny::scrutiny::o

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/06/01/0601monsterpig.html

Monster Pig farm-raised, not wild

The Associated Press
Published on: 06/01/07

FRUITHURST, Ala. — Before he became known as "Monster Pig," the 1,051-pound hog shot in Delta was known by another name.

Fred.

Rhonda and Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star on Thursday evening that, on April 29, four days before the hog was killed, Fred was one of many livestock on their farm.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

"I didn't want to stir up anything," Rhonda Blissitt said. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig."

Added Phil Blissitt:

"If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we'd know that for the rest of our lives."

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was harvested by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.

The Blissitts said they were unaware that the hog generating all the media attention was once theirs. It wasn't until Howell spoke with Phil Blissitt that the pieces of the puzzle came together.

Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him about the now-famous hog.

"Did you see that pig on TV?" Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him. "I said, 'Yeah, I had one about that size.' He said, 'No, that one is yours.'

"That's when I knew."

Phil Blissitt purchased the pig for his wife as a Christmas gift in December of 2004. From 6 weeks old, they raised the pig as it grew to its enormous size.

Not long ago, they decided to sell off all of their pigs. Eddy Borden, owner of Lost Creek Plantation, purchased Fred.

Attempts by The Star to reach Borden were unsuccessful.

While Rhonda Blissitt was somewhat in the dark about the potential demise of her pet, Phil Blissitt said he was under the understanding that it would breed with other female pigs and then "probably be hunted."

Many other of their former pigs — like their other farm animals — had been raised for the purpose of agricultural harvest.

As the Blissitts recounted the events of the last two days, they told stories and made many references to the gentleness of their former "pet."

From his treats of canned sweet potatoes to how their grandchildren would play with him, their stories painted the picture of a gentle giant. They even talked about how their small Chihuahua would get in the pen with him and come out unscathed.

"But if they hadn't fed him in a while," Rhonda Blissitt said, "he could have gotten irate."

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when they learned about all the doubters who said photos of Fred were doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

The information of the pig's previous owner came out on the same day that officials from the Fish and Wildlife concluded their investigation of the hunt. They concluded that nothing illegal happened under the guidelines of Alabama law.

Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said they learned the hog's origin as the investigation unfolded.

"We were able to determine that he came from a domesticated environment," he said. "So, he was not feral to start with. Therefore, he would not violate our feral swine trapping and relocating rule."

Mike Stone, Jamison's father, contends that he was unaware of the origin of the pig. Before, during and after the hunt — and until late Thursday night, when contacted by The Star — Mike Stone was under the impression that the hog was feral.

"We were told that it was a feral hog," Mike Stone said, "and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog."

H&Hhunter
June 1, 2007, 08:39 PM
Art I am guessing the pet pig "fred" was pretty good at hide and seek then.;)

This whole thing smelled funny from the start. Now it just smells like a big ole load of hog manure, domestic pen raised hog manure at that.

I just repeat that I've got no problem with a guy who wants to go to a hunting farm and plug a piggy even if it is raised and put out.

The owner of the plantation damned sure knew where that pig came from. He put it out in that pen before the hunt.

I guess you can't entirely blame the dad for making the website if he truly thought the pig was wild. I'm guessing he should have known better. The darn hunt operator sure as heck should have known but I am guessing he had a happy client on his hands and didn't want burst their bubble.

It's a fine line when you are trying to make a thing like this look legit to an ignorant client I guess.

foob
June 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
But for the Daddy to make a web site and not include that little pearl of information kind of twists me the wrong way. To each their own I guess.

I don't think he knew though. He could have suspected, but the game preserve owner probably won't tell him.

H&Hhunter
June 1, 2007, 08:49 PM
Foob,

Sorry man I edited my post between the time you posted and my edit came up. I took that line you quoted out after reading the news article more carefully.

You are 100% correct in your post.

foob
June 1, 2007, 09:02 PM
I have a question. So did the kid take 3 hours from first shot to death? Kind of sucks to be the pig. Was the handgun too weak for it?

Also the boy looks a little clean to be out chasing a pig for 3 hours.

Does the preserve have fixed feeding stations? Can't imagine a domesticated pig surviving on its own.

Damn just read through all the posts, H&Hhunter basically got the whole story right.

A couple of things strike me right off. First that hog has little or no "wild" or "euro" genes in him at all. The ears are the first dead give away. Wild hogs have small rounded ears they develop these within a couple of generations of being wild and mixing in with Euro genes. Farm hags have the large floppy ears like the one in the picture.

The story of 16 rounds with the .500 doesn't surprise me one little tiny bit. Because the .500 isn't all that powerful for one and two the kid probably can't shoot it that well. I've seen hogs walk away from less then perfect hits with a .500 Linebaugh. There are NO hand held wheel guns that produce enough power to be considered a "stopper" on large tough animals. PERIOD.

But in my opinion there is no way that hog was wild and free roaming given the scenario reported. I have to think that it was a raised hog that was released into a high fenced area.

It is a big hog. Maybe even a 1000 lbr but I doubt that it was killed in a free ranging area. I doubt that it was a wild pig.

kungfuhippie
June 2, 2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18869381/

Pig Was a Monster, Not Very Wild

FRUITHURST, Ala. - The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred.

The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

"I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was more than 1,000 pounds and 9 feet long; if anything, it looked even bigger in a now-famous photo of the hunter and the hunted.

Mike Stone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Friday that he had been under the impression that the hog was wild, not farm-raised.

Telephone messages left Friday with Eddy Borden, the owner of Lost Creek Plantation, were not immediately returned.

Stone said state wildlife officials told him that it is not unusual for hunting preserves to buy farm-raised hogs and that the hogs are considered feral once they are released.

Stone said he and his son met Blissitt on Friday morning to get more details about the hog. Blissitt said that he had about 15 hogs and decided to sell them for slaughter, but that no one would buy that particular animal because it was too big for slaughter or breeding, Stone said.

Blissitt said that the pig had become a nuisance and that visitors were often frightened by it, Stone said.

"He was nice enough to tell my son that the pig was too big and needed killing," Stone said. "He shook Jamison's hand and said he did not kill the family pet."

The Blissitts said they didn't know the hog that was hunted was Fred until they were contacted by a game warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. The agency determined that no laws were violated in the hunt.

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when he learned that some thought the photo of Fred was doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

phantomak47
June 5, 2007, 11:40 PM
where is the part that he hunted in a small 150 acre pen?

H&Hhunter
June 6, 2007, 01:14 AM
where is the part that he hunted in a small 150 acre pen?

It has been reported and quoted from the plantation owner numerous times. I can't find it right now though.

And frankly I am sick and tired of this whole hokey mess.

foob
June 6, 2007, 01:17 AM
Is 150 acres small? Or was he sarcastic?

kungfuhippie
June 6, 2007, 01:41 AM
Is 150 acres small? Or was he sarcastic?

1 acre = 43,560 ft^2
150 acres = 6,534,000 ft^2
square root of 6,534000 = 2,556.17 feet
1 mile = 5280 feet
2556.17 feet = .484 miles
.484 miles squared = .23 square miles
150 acres = .23 square miles or less than a mile in circumfrence.
For hunting that's very small. IMHO

<had to fix this now that I saw the HUGE mistake I made of going from linear to square without a conversion>

JShirley
June 6, 2007, 03:46 AM
a 150-acre fenced area

Alagator
June 6, 2007, 06:02 AM
A square mile is 640 acres. 150/640=.23 square mile. I hunt on unfenced tracts as small as 80 acres and as large as 400 acres in Alabama. A wild animal, like a deer or a truly feral hog, is hard to hunt regardless of the acreage, because it naturally avoids humans. Fred the Friendly Farm Pig associated humans with sweet potato handouts, at least until the first shot hit him. I just hope when somebody's husband decides to shoot me, they don't take 3 hours to finish the job.

joebogey
June 6, 2007, 08:01 AM
Well I haven't made up my mind about hunting the hog that was farm raised.
But for those complaining about 150 acres, not all of us are lucky enough to live in the wide open spaces of the West. Here in the East, and I'm in KY, 150 acres is a big area to hunt. I have hunted on as little as 40 acres for deer, with the difference being they're not high fenced.

30 cal slob
June 6, 2007, 08:48 AM
Willlbuurrrrrrr............

Art Eatman
June 7, 2007, 02:44 PM
With somewhat-open vegetation, 150 acres can be small. But you get into some of the mesquite and prickly pear thickets in the south Texas brush country and the only way you'd see a deer would be if he stood on his hind legs and waved. You couldn't get a shot at a hog in 10 acres of that stuff, except if you're in a high stand and spot him moving through an opening in the brush.

There just ain't no "One size fits all," about land area...

Art

CSA 357
June 7, 2007, 11:37 PM
THIS HAS REALY TAKEN A TURN FOR THE WORST! I DONT KNOW IF THE DAD KNEW THAT THE PIG WAS NOT WILD OR NOT, BUT THIS WAS A DIRTY TRICK TO PULL ON THE KID , I JUST WONDER WHO DID AND DIDNT KNOW ?:rolleyes: SO SAD POOR OLE FRED!

kungfuhippie
June 9, 2007, 12:44 AM
I guess the high fences is what makes it a "small" area to hunt. IMO. The size of the area isn't as important as the fact that Fred was domesticated, probably thought the kid had a pork sausage in his hand and not a weapon.

<that's a joke for people that have been around pigs>

kiwihunter
June 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
meh. That aint hunting.

I hunt hogs here in New Zealand. I take 2 dogs, and a knife.

kiwihunter
June 17, 2007, 03:23 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/kiwimadmacd1/DSC02653.jpg

Todays effort.

Nothin like hogzilla, but at least yer can eat this one. :)

foob
June 17, 2007, 03:28 AM
Think you could get a friend to video tape a hunt? Sounds bloody adrenaline pumping.

kiwihunter
June 17, 2007, 03:51 AM
Its pretty awesome alright. Where we hunt is a big mountain range, all forested, steep, thick rainforest. Hiked about 10 miles today, carried the pig about 2. Was a pretty good carry, not too much uphill. LMAO!

That one was only 70-80 lb, with 2 dogs on its head, it was a pretty easy stick. Wait until you have a 300lb boar, with 8 inch hooks. Thats when the adrenaline really gets pumping!

Dunno about a vid, but some still hunting pics could be quite on the cards at some stage.

Art Eatman
June 17, 2007, 10:50 AM
Start a new thread, if you get pictures. This thread is done.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "The REAL Hogzilla!..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!