How early did YOU start shooting/hunting?

PDA

campergeek
June 21, 2003, 11:56 AM
Heh... I'll confess, this is mostly a brag on my mom. My family has an e-mail group that we use to communicate. Lately the hot topic has been gun rights, which has been a lively discussion since our views range from my own to my oldest sister, who feels that "all machine guns and handguns should be banned". :cuss: As the topic was cooling down, my mom posted the following which proved that I've been shooting since before I was born:

I should take the credit or blame (depends how you feel about guns) for [campergeek's] interest in guns. When I was pregnant with him my form of exercise was taking the 22 and our dog at the time "Bismark" and going for a walk. We hunted rabbits and I don't think I ever got one. As soon as I would shoot, Bismark would take off as fast as his little legs would go to find what we got. One time I did get a pheasant and boy was Bismark thrilled. He carried it back home and the other dogs took it away from him. Still he got pretty excited whenever I walked out the door with the gun.

Yeah, Mom! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How early did YOU start shooting/hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
June 21, 2003, 12:01 PM
About 1st grade. Got a BB gun and started shooting .22 rifles. Got my own .22 bolt gun about 3rd-4th grade. I was even allowed to keep it and ammo in my bedroom.

Bet that would give VPC apoplexy. :)

El Tejon
June 21, 2003, 12:09 PM
At 5 years of age. It was a Stevens bolt action .22 shooting cb caps at tin cans on my greatgrandfather's farm in a valley (that's "holler" for our Southern THRers).

My oldest nephew is 5. It will be time soon.:cool:

stevelyn
June 21, 2003, 12:17 PM
I was six when I started shooting with a Winchester .22, about seven when I started flingin' arrows with a Bear Red Bear recurve, and about eleven when I went on my first serious hunt for the elusive and wiley grey squirrel.

Quantrill
June 21, 2003, 02:15 PM
7!! I started with a borrowed Winchester .22pump with a hammer and an octagnal barrel. I was given my own .22 Winchester model 69A when I was 8. Quantrill

Mannlicher
June 21, 2003, 03:30 PM
I dont remember when I first went shooting. My family, both sides, were dirt farmers or preachers from the SW Virginia mountais. Mom's side has been up in the same hollow for over 230 years. Guns were always around the farm house or barn. I remember shooting with Dad or an uncle or two from aobut 6 or so on.

When I was growing up in North Florida as a boy, a retired Methodist preacher took me under his tutelage. Rev. Lee was the consumate outdoorsman. He knew all there was to know about hunting, fishing, camping, and woodscraft. He taught me how to walk up sleeping deer, how to take gators, how to catch fish when they had quit biting, and how to prepare camp, cook, and get along in the outdoors.

I was with Rev. Lee when I took my first deer at age 8. Walked up on the deer, and used a Stevens 20ga slug. Shot was less than 10 yards. Deer never knew I was there.

Jeeper
June 21, 2003, 03:33 PM
First time shooting was probably 12. Never really started until I was 18

campergeek
June 21, 2003, 04:24 PM
To give a more serious (non pre-natal) answer to my own question, I was allowed to get my first bb gun at age 8. I had shot some friends' (on the down-low) when I got the chance, but I still remember just after my 8th birthday picking out a daisy lever-action air rifle with a "scope" (hollow tube with a peep-hole). I think it set my parents back about $12. For a long time I think I hardly ever left the house without that rifle.

Soon after, my dad started teaching me how to shoot with a bolt-action .22; I think it was a Stevens. That was probably the same one that my mom hunted with while I was in-utero, and I shot with it up through high school. I'm not sure if my parents still have it, but hopefully one day I can manage to get it passed down to me.

cool45auto
June 21, 2003, 04:54 PM
I have no idea. My dad's side of the family has always shot guns and I can remember going squirell hunting or target shooting from very early on.

Art Eatman
June 21, 2003, 04:59 PM
My mother gave me my first Daisy Red Ryder when I was six or seven. That's been a while. A year or so later, I was often in the woods/pasture with my grandfather's .22. Got my first '06 when I was just barely 16, and started reloading then...

:), Art

10-Ring
June 21, 2003, 06:28 PM
I guess I was a late bloomer :( I shot my first gun when I was 17 and bought my first when I was 21. Better late than never I suppose :D

Soap
June 21, 2003, 08:39 PM
Age 5 with a Winchester 9422.

Pilgrim
June 21, 2003, 08:45 PM
Age 10 at YMCA summer camp.

I was interested in firearms because my father had talked about his experiences shooting grandfather's guns when he was a boy. As soon as I found out the YMCA camp had a rifle instruction program, I signed up.

After camp Dad let me have a BB gun. When I turned 13 he gave me a Marlin 80C in .22 rimfire.

Pilgrim

243_shooter
June 21, 2003, 08:55 PM
I don't ever remember not shooting..? Got the first rifle that I could officially call my "own" at six.. Chipmunk .22 , still have it.. That was followed in the next year or so by a 581 w/scope.. By 12 or 13 there was a model 88 in 243 hanging on my gun rack in my room.. Still my hunting rifle of choice to this day :D

How things have changed in the last few years.. It wasn't very long ago that I was 14 with 3 rifles (one a centerfire) hanging on a rack in my room, ammo and all, and nobody thought twice about it...

Redlg155
June 21, 2003, 09:11 PM
At about age ten I was given a bb gun and a license to roam the woods are freely as I wanted. The only rule....Don't let the street light catch you!:D If I came home and they were on I was instantly grounded. Now if you came home and left right after you were ok!

First real gun was a marlin .22. My father and I had a lot of good times together shooting snowshoe hares in Alaska.

I was never really interested in "Black Rifles" and handguns until after I returned from Germany. I swore to never be disarmed and helpless again. (I say disarmed because they took my guns away, but that's a different story having to deal with idiotic military politics.)

Good Shooting
Red

Duncan Idaho
June 21, 2003, 09:55 PM
Somewhere in the mist of time...circa 5-6 years old for me.My oldest nephew is 5. It will be time soon. Hey El Tejon! Be sure to check out "Chipmunk" .22 rifles. They are perfect for young kids.

Robby from Long Island
June 21, 2003, 10:07 PM
I guess I was about 12 when I first went to scout camp for two weeks. Seems most of the time was spent at the firing range shooting single shot .22 bolt actions.

After that 4 years on the high school rifle team, then a hitch in the service and been shooting ever since.

Now it's a case of dealing with my eyes which unfortunately aren't quite what they used to be. Amazing how fast you get older.

Safe shooting.

Skunkabilly
June 21, 2003, 10:11 PM
I was deprived as a kid, and didn't have action figures, go camping or learn to shoot until 21, 19 and 19, respectively. But I sure did learn some mean words for the SAT :rolleyes:

Kcustom45
June 22, 2003, 12:32 AM
I started shooting when I was about 5 years old. I shot a S&W 422 that my Dad bought for me. Unfortunately I didn't start hunting until I was about 16. All those wasted years...

Slotback
June 22, 2003, 01:44 AM
Shot a BB gun as a kid. But I was about 12 when I started to shoot a .22.

Combat-wombat
June 22, 2003, 01:47 AM
got a BB gun in 2nd grade... really started shooting at 12-a year and a half ago.

AtoZ
June 22, 2003, 08:32 AM
Shot a .22 once when I was younger. Shot some clays w/ my uncle at 22. Really went shooting a couple times at 22 and 23. Then, bought my first guns at 24. Oh, had a few BB guns when I was younger, too.
AtoZ

GD
June 22, 2003, 04:31 PM
First shot at age 17 when a friend let me shoot his .22. My parents wouldn't let me own a firearm. Like many others, I bought a handgun when I left home but had no training in how to use it. I had all sorts of dangerous habits as did my friend - he by the way accidently shot another friend in his leg (both of whom are now in law enforcement!). At age 40 I went to a training session and learned how to properly use a firearm. That is the age I started hunting also.
Moral - parents show your kids how to properly use a firearm.

Matt1911
June 22, 2003, 04:50 PM
Even though my Dad and my brothers were hunting/shooting since early childhood,i did not shoot intill about 25,i was just more into guitars/cars,and had no intrest.Then about 25,my wife bought me a mossberg 500,so"i could go hang with my brothers" on sundays.15 years later that "bug" still has a big hold,i don't even own a guitar anymore,lol!
I've made sure to expose my children to the sport,and let them decide for themselves,only problem there,they claim all my favorite guns!!:D

Jeff OTMG
June 23, 2003, 02:38 AM
I was around them all my life, but didn't get my own gun and start shooting until I was 6, though I had been trained in gun safety since I was 3.

JohnBT
June 23, 2003, 09:23 AM
Mid-50s.

1950s that is.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "How early did YOU start shooting/hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!