45crittergitter
May 18, 2007, 09:52 PM
April 20, 2007

ABC News
7 WEST 66th Street
New York, NY 10023

Re: World News Tonight lie

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

On your program “ABC World News Tonight with Charles Gibson” which aired on April 16, your Senior National Correspondent Jake Trapper stated, “Harris and Klebold bought their guns at a gun show, which are exempt from federal background check laws.” (emphasis mine)

That is an outright lie. All federal firearms laws (and every other law I’ve ever heard of) apply at gun shows exactly as they apply everywhere else. There is no “law-free zone.”

Mr. Trapper should be immediately dismissed for this fraud, as should the program’s producer and Mr. Gibson.

Sincerely,

If you enjoyed reading about "My letter to ABC Re: their bogus story" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hrgrisso
May 18, 2007, 09:58 PM
I never heard that the two little B@ards bought their guns anywhere. I thought they were stolen...???

LAR-15
May 18, 2007, 10:38 PM
NO.

They were bought a gun show.

DouglasW
May 18, 2007, 10:44 PM
My understanding is that the weapons were provided to those "two little b@ards" via an illegal straw purchase:

This local newspaper article (http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/shooting/0427scho0.shtml), from the week after the Columbine tragedy, is entitled Klebold's Date Bought Two Weapons:

Klebold's prom date, identified as 18-year-old Robyn K. Anderson, was questioned by investigators Monday and later released, Jefferson County Sheriff John Stone said.

[snip]

Determining where Harris and Klebold got their guns remained a top priority of investigators.

Stone said Anderson bought two of the weapons at a Denver-area gun show within the past year. He said "it's a pretty good assumption" she bought them within the past five months because she just turned 18 in November.

And from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre):

In the months prior to the attacks, Harris and Klebold acquired two 9 mm firearms and two 12-gauge shotguns. A rifle and the two shotguns were bought in a straw purchase in December 1998 by a friend, Robyn Anderson. Harris and Klebold later bought a handgun from a friend, Mark Manes. Manes was jailed [ed: apparently sentenced to six years] after the massacre for the offense of selling a handgun to a minor, as was Philip Duran, who had introduced the duo to Manes.

With instructions from the Internet, they also built 99 improvised explosive devices of various designs and sizes. They also sawed the barrels and butts off their shotguns in order to make them easier to conceal. The two perpetrators committed numerous felony violations of state and federal law, including the National Firearms Act and the Gun Control Act of 1968, even before the massacre began.

DouglasW
May 18, 2007, 10:46 PM
and from our friends at the Brady Campaign:

GUN SHOW CHECKS
Are background checks required at gun shows? Yes

Colorado - State law requires people buying guns at gun shows to undergo the same Brady criminal background check as is required for sales that occur at federally-licensed gun stores. The law was enacted as a citizen ballot initiative in 2000 following the Columbine school massacre.

Thankfully, Colorado still receives a D from the Brady folks. :p

So, to be factual, the reporter should have said:
“Harris and Klebold illegally had a straw purchaser buy their guns at a gun show, which were exempt from federal background check laws.” (emphasis mine)

Kentak
May 19, 2007, 01:04 AM
Only if you buy your guns from a FFL dealer, right? Lots of guns are bought at gun shows through non-FFL person-to-person sales. I haven't bought any that way, but I've sold some. No background check needed.

You overreacted and gave the misleading impression that all sales at gun shows are with background checks. They are not.

K

langenc
May 19, 2007, 06:37 PM
One of the shooters girl friend supplied at least one gun. I think the shooter was to young or had another impediment-straw purchase. How you going to catch them all??

OpFlash
June 25, 2007, 12:33 AM
You overreacted and gave the misleading impression that all sales at gun shows are with background checks. They are not.
No, he just stated that all federal firearms laws apply at gun shows just as they do anywhere else. The article was wrong, saying that gun shows were "exempt from federal background check laws". They aren't. Neither is a parking lot or your house but you can legally sell a firearm there without a background check.. A private purchase can happen anywhere, and has nothing to do with any place being exempt of any laws.

mike101
June 25, 2007, 07:21 AM
I just got into a big thing about this with somebody on the Brady Bunch Blog. I was told that private sales at gun shows were not subject to background checks. This guy was on our side. He's not who I got in the argument with. Part of the confusion was due to the fact that the Brady Bunchers refer to private sellers as "unlicensed dealers".

I always was under the impression that all legal transfers of a firearm, had to go through a FFL. Maybe I've been stuck in the swamps of Jersey too long. If not, I wonder why places like Gunsamerica require it. Many of those sales are private.

I have checked out ads for gun shows from states other than NJ, where I live. It seems that the promoters of the shows require checks also, at least the ones I've seen.

Does this apply to handguns and long guns?

HiWayMan
June 25, 2007, 07:41 AM
mike101

most states allow private transfers of handguns and long guns, provided the buyer and seller are both residents of that state.

AntiqueCollector
June 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
I always was under the impression that all legal transfers of a firearm, had to go through a FFL. Maybe I've been stuck in the swamps of Jersey too long. If not, I wonder why places like Gunsamerica require it. Many of those sales are private.
Firearms shipped across state lines must go to an FFL. Shipped to someone in the same state as the seller (that is, not crossing state lines at all) they don't have to be sent to an FFL. Certain anti-gun states have state laws that are stricter though...

another okie
June 25, 2007, 10:06 AM
The federal laws apply wherever you are.

The laws are exactly the same at gun shows as they are anywhere else. I have told this to so many people over the years that I am tired of saying it.

If you are buying and selling as a business, you have to have a license and do background checks, regardless of where the sale occurs. You may lawfully sell your own firearms, as long as you are not doing it as a business or did not buy them in the expectation of selling them for a profit.

DouglasW wrote:

"So, to be factual, the reporter should have said:
“Harris and Klebold illegally had a straw purchaser buy their guns at a gun show, which were exempt from federal background check laws.” (emphasis mine)

No! The reporter should have said,

"Harris and Klebold asked a friend buy firearms from a private individual who was not a dealer. Such sales do not require a background check, though the purchaser still must be an adult and a legal resident for handgun purchases."

I don't know whether straw purchases are even illegal if it's a private sale.

armoredman
June 25, 2007, 10:08 AM
Mike, get out of The Peoples Democractic Republic Of New Jersey. Here in Free AZ, we get do do/buy/carry all kinds of firearms/accessories with no trouble with/from the law.

Origonal poster - did the bloated media giant even deign to respond?

Correia
June 25, 2007, 10:42 AM
Guys, Activism isn't the place for discussion. Just action, so please, no more discussion. Use the other forum to hammer out facts. This is just to say what you've done, or are going to do, and a place for people to coordinate action.

Otherwise action gets bogged down in details and nothing ever actually happens.

MBane666
July 10, 2007, 10:52 PM
I wouldl like to point out that ABC "correspondent" Jake Tapper is the former PR man for Brady and a committed antigun activist.

I personally took him to task on this a couple of years ago. I told him to his face that by failing to disclose to his viewers/readers that he was a former Brady flack when he was "reporting" on gun control issues, he was acting against the canon of ethics that professional journalists ostensibly subscribe to. i told Tapper that as a professional journalist myself, i feel ethically obligated to point out that on the firearms issue, I am a partisan.

Tapper told me that he felt no such obligation and under no conditions would he disclose to viewers that he had been a shill for the gun control movement.

I believe it was Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee who once said that he didn't care if his reporters had sex with elephants as long as they didn't cover the circus.

Mr. Tapper f&^ks elephants AND covers the circus.

As far as activism on our part, it is important that every time you write ABC about Mr. Tapper, mention that he once worked for Brady and as such is sthically compromised in covering gun control issues. Of course his bosses know already know that.

Michael B

45crittergitter
July 15, 2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the tip, Michael. Keep up the good work here and on your show.

Vic
July 24, 2007, 07:31 PM
As in any biased organization...you waste your time communicating with them. The only truth in their eyes is their truth....and you're just WRONG. Its like running a race in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded.:eek:

Guitargod1985
July 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
45crittergitter, I also wrote a letter to ABC regarding that same "news" segment. Originally I had tried to leave a comment on their website, but could not find any comment section, so I wrote a letter with the same general message. I was irate that any journalist could so irresponsibly broadcast such rubbish.

Its like running a race in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded. Oh boy, that made me laugh.

If you enjoyed reading about "My letter to ABC Re: their bogus story" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!