Locked Threads and Preacherman's Awful Jokes

PDA

Orthonym
June 21, 2003, 04:43 PM
Is there any way I can manipulate the "search" function to produce a list containing all the locked threads, and no other threads? I participated in one of these (slightly) and looked into a couple of others. Some people here are fun to watch when the steam really starts coming out of their ears. The same with Preacherman's groaners.

If you enjoyed reading about "Locked Threads and Preacherman's Awful Jokes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
June 21, 2003, 05:38 PM
"Is there any way I can manipulate the "search" function to produce a list containing all the locked threads..."

No.

Skunkabilly
June 21, 2003, 05:42 PM
Is there any way I can manipulate the "search" function to produce a list containing all the locked threads, and no other threads? ... The same with Preacherman's groaners.

How about this? :neener:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=338819

pax
June 21, 2003, 06:43 PM
So a priest, a panda, a rabbi and a frayed knot walked into a bar. Bartender looks up and says, "What is this, a joke?"

pax

When I make a joke, nobody gets injured... when Congress makes a joke, it's the law. -- Will Rogers

Orthonym
June 21, 2003, 06:59 PM
Well, with these prices, I'm not surprised.

Skunkabilly
June 21, 2003, 08:06 PM
So a priest, a panda, a rabbi and a frayed knot walked into a bar. Bartender looks up and says, "What is this, a joke?"

"I'm afraid not!"

Boo!!! BOOOOO!!!!! :D

pax
June 21, 2003, 08:14 PM
Actually, the panda one is almost gun-related:

So this panda walks into a Fine Eating Establishment, and orders dinner. After dinner, the waitress asks, "Can I bring you anything else?" The panda responds by whipping out a sixgun. He shoots out the chandelier and strolls out the front door.

The manager (a brave and foolish man) runs after him. "Sir! Sir!! You did not pay for your meal ... and you shot out the lights! What's the deal with that?"

The panda looks at him scornfully. "Hey man, I'm a panda. Look it up."

The manager shrugs and, when he gets home, looks up the word "panda" in the dictionary. This is what he sees: "Panda. A large mammal. Eats shoots and leaves."

pax

Orthonym
June 21, 2003, 08:26 PM
Alright, I give up, hand me the pen. Just let me out of here and I promise to go home and not bother anyone ever again! Boy, I really should go fix myself a hickory daiquiri, Doc!

Mike Irwin
June 21, 2003, 09:35 PM
Did you hear the one about Charlton Heston and the Queen of England?

Huh.

Neither did I.

:)

Skunkabilly
June 21, 2003, 09:39 PM
What did the fish say when he hit a concrete wall?

"Dam."

What do you call a cow with no legs?

Ground beef.

Orthonym
June 21, 2003, 10:07 PM
I love Big Brother I love Big Brother I love Big Brother 2+2=5 whatever the party saysAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

tyme
June 22, 2003, 05:45 AM
If this is going to be off-topic, it might as well be intelligent.

Three wise people are put in a room. Five hats are brought in, three red and two white. The three are blindfolded, three of the hats are put on their heads, and the other two hats are removed from visibility. Two are unblinded, but the third is not. Each of the two who can see cannot see their own hats. Each of the two are asked in turn what color their own hats are. They both say they do not know. The blindfolded person is then asked. Assuming they can all reason, and assuming they all know they can all reason, what does the blindfolded person say and why?

There's an evil witch who is trying to execute 50 prisoners, but wants to make it look somewhat fair for some silly reason. She tells them she will line them up such that they can only see the people in front of them; that she will put either white or black hats on their heads; that she will ask each the color of his or her own hat starting at the back, and that those who answer correctly will live. The 50 are left to talk it over for a while. Then they're led out and the protocol is carried out. What strategy should they agree upon before being led out, and why?

sm
June 22, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evil witch and hats:

Agree to blink once for white, twice for black. Agree to line up in two rows facing each other. ("lined up so can only see person in front of you") Did not specify single file.
The person opposite you will blink accordingly giving you the correct answer.
Everyone lives.

Its a stretch...but...

Mal H
June 22, 2003, 08:26 AM
I think I've got the Red-White hat problem.

A & B are the sighted people, C is blindfolded.
If A doesn't know which hat he is wearing, he must see at least 1 red hat, can't see 2 white hats or he would know.
If B could see a white hat on C then he would know he is wearing the red hat A sees. But he doesn't know so he must see a red hat on C.
Therefore C says he is wearing a red hat.

Hkmp5sd
June 22, 2003, 12:07 PM
What if A & B are wearing red hats and C has a white hat? Neither A or B sees both white hats.

tyme
June 23, 2003, 01:16 AM
The 50 prisoners are lined up front to back, no park shenanigans involved. :)

What they each see is only part of it. They also take into account what the others know, and can make decisions based on the fact that nobody before them knew the answer. Try out all the possible scenarios (all combinations except white-white-white). Figure out who answers first. (colors are in the order the people are asked... person 1, person 2, person 3)

RRR: ?
RRW: ?
RWR: ?
RWW: obviously #1
WRR: ?
WRW: ?
WWR: ?

This is the procedural way to convince yourself of a result:
It's easy to convince yourself of what happens when the sequence is RWW (or WRW, or WWR). Now assume person 1 doesn't know. If person 2 finds himself in the situation R?W, he must not have a white hat since then the sequence would be RWW and person 1 would have answered correctly. Since there are only two colors, he must have a red hat and can answer. You can iterate through them all like that, which would hopefully convince you that MalH is right, since it turns out that RWW, RRW, and WRW are all answered by either person 1 or person 2. All the other combinations include a red hat on person 3, so person 3 doesn't need to be able to see; he just needs to know that person 1 and person 2 didn't know, and that there are 3 red and 2 white hats, and that everyone was given only one hat. Also that nobody's lying or rigging the test in one way or another, but that's fairly obvious...

The intuitive-type solution generally follows the reasoning that there are only three possibilities you have to eliminate:
RWW
RRW
WRW
In the remaining possibilities, person 3 has a red hat.

You can search for "50 hat killed puzzle" on google for the solution to the second one.
- No out-of-band communication. Answers must be white or black. It's safe to assume any attempt at to cheat (two pre-chosen syllables strung together in binary to describe the hat colors for entire chain of people) would result in the witch killing everyone. Not answering is an option, but would result in the death of the uncooperative prisoner.

Does it matter how many people there are in line? Does it matter whether the remaining prisoners know when/whether a particular person behind them has been killed?

Mike Irwin
June 23, 2003, 03:36 AM
"Options for being let out..."

Swarm the guards, take their guns, and fight your way out.

Christ, doesn't anyone do anything for themselves these days? :D

tyme
June 27, 2003, 03:31 AM
If you noticed, in my version, the executioner is a witch. While it might be possible to escape without getting fried by a bolt of lightning or turned into a toad, the solution ends up resulting in all but one being spared. The first to be questioned (the one at the back of the line) may get killed, or might survive. Thus they have better odds if they cooperate. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Locked Threads and Preacherman's Awful Jokes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!