Ammo availability

PDA

jwinter
May 20, 2007, 09:07 PM
If ammunition might be hard to get---for auto loader hand guns-- in order of availability what would be the the most available 3 or 4 calibers?

jwinter

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaws
May 20, 2007, 09:17 PM
In no particular order...

45acp
9mm
40S&W
.22LR

Really, those are the only calibers there are. Everything else is just over price and/or harder to get. If one of those doesn't suit your need, you need a rifle.

.cheese.
May 20, 2007, 09:47 PM
really, it depends on where you are.

I find that around here, 9mm and 40 would be the easiest to find..... but elsewhere it would probably be 9mm and 45....

in some places it might be .22lr as there is plenty of it at stores usually.

probably the two I'd say would be easiest to find are 9mm and .22lr, as they're pretty universally used.... and then .45 and .40 would vary depending upon location. (ie: .45 is carried less around here than .40 in stores - I don't really know why)

ETA: By .45 I mean .45ACP - not .45GAP

mnrivrat
May 20, 2007, 09:53 PM
.45 ACP
.40 S&W
9 mm Par.
.380 Auto

tinygnat219
May 20, 2007, 10:07 PM
9MM
45 ACP
.22 LR

I have yet to see a store out of these.

chris in va
May 20, 2007, 10:09 PM
9mm

In that order.

Nomad, 2nd
May 20, 2007, 11:11 PM
Those are the most common, but the most people own those... so if they all go looking for ammo... those will be sold out... and the .44 might be left...

Just put it back now.

If you ain't got it, you ain't got it.

ZeSpectre
May 21, 2007, 12:12 AM
I agree with most of the lists above. Adding .380 auto as some have done.

wdlsguy
May 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
Don't plan on buying ammunition during an emergency. Stock up now while things are relatively normal.

helpless
May 22, 2007, 04:23 AM
I have often thought about getting out of my 45 and into a 9mm for primary pistol because of availability.

Anyone else have this thought?

I do love the 45acp though.

stevemis
May 22, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'd venture to guess 9mm and 45 ACP would be the easiest to find, at least for pistol ammo. There are finite number of ammunition manufacturers out there, and most of them are quite busy (and happy) filling orders from Uncle Sam and NATO. Most operations are running 24 hours a day. If there were 30 hours in a day, they'd be running 30.

If things continue on in Iraq, I think people will have a hard time finding "gun food". The ammunition manufacturers certainly won't be interested in shutting down a 9mm hardball line for the government orders and retooling it for 380ACP so Wal Mart can sell it to me and you.

The reloading industry might be able to help us out, since most shops are too small to get involved with government contracts and the government probably doesn't want remanufactured munitions. Bear in mind, there might come a time when primers get scarce, at which point even the reloaders would shut down.

I don't even want to think about powder.

Steve

10 Ring Tao
May 22, 2007, 10:38 PM
Most available or most affordable?

In order:

9mm
.38sp

I have often thought about getting out of my 45 and into a 9mm for primary pistol because of availability.

Anyone else have this thought?

Thats exactly why I went with 9mm right out of the gate.

stevemis
May 22, 2007, 10:40 PM

Nine will always be cheaper than 45, and it will probably be easier to find as the consumer market dries up. I wouldn't pitch the 45: I'd start researching 9mm pistols and pick up some 9mm and 45 ACP, and stock up on some primers and powder at your next gun show (shipping this stuff is REALLY expensive) if you're not reloading already. You always keep your brass, right?

If the ammo market goes really dry, you can order the reloading gear and a bullet casting kit, then make buddy-buddy with the local tire shops and hopefully get some of their used wheel weights.

I've got a few boxes of my own once-fired 9mm and 45acp brass in the garage. I haven't started reloading yet, but I've known for a long time that the day would eventually come and have been saving my brass.

Steve

.cheese.
May 22, 2007, 10:43 PM
wdlsguy said:
Don't plan on buying ammunition during an emergency. Stock up now while things are relatively normal.

ding ding ding!

Agreed! I won't say how much ammo I've bought at this point, but I'll just say it's a lot, because if the SHTF, I don't plan on finding ammo anywhere.

stevemis
May 22, 2007, 10:49 PM
Most available or most affordable?

In order:

9mm
.38sp

For now. After reading this...

http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt_top.jsp?news_id=ap-d8p8jai82

... I would expect pretty much any shop that can retool to make 9mm and 45ACP will do so quickly. There might be some hope for continued high availability of .22 because these manufacturers won't be subject to primer shortages and probably can't easily retool for centerfire.

I'd expect 38sp prices to continue to rise, likely faster than 9mm. I know if I had a plant making 38sp or 380ACP (especially 380!), I'd probably be thinking long and hard about what it would take to start making 9mm instead.

I feel sorry for all of the law enforcement agencies who switched over to 10mm.

Steve

cheygriz
May 22, 2007, 10:57 PM
1. .22 will always be most available. EVERYBODY sells .22.

Next in order:

2. 9MM Our standard service round.

3. .40 S&W due to high police demand.

4. .38 special because there are just so many .38 and .357 Mag guns out there.

5. .45 ACP a popular round with competitive shooters.

.22 and 9MM will probably always be available even if the others "dry up" for a while.

obxned
May 22, 2007, 11:59 PM
If ammo gets scarce, it's the popular ones that will go first. Buy it whenever the budget allows - it ain't ever gonna be any cheaper than it is now.

Redneck with a 40
May 23, 2007, 12:17 AM
No problem here, I have enough powder, primers, and brass to load 3000 rounds of 40 S&W and 2000 rounds of 357/38 spl.:D I don't buy factory ammo anymore, don't miss it either.:neener: Plus I have 2500 rounds of 22LR.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo availability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!