Scope Mounting Tips?

PDA

mike240se
May 20, 2007, 11:25 PM
hey all, i recently bought a new scope for my bushmaster predator. A Nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 to replace the bsa sweet 223 that i am returning due to it being defective.

The store i bought the gun from mounted the sweet 223 for me, using leopold prw rings i bought. My plan is to remove the tops of the rings, replace the scope and put the rings back on. Now the store i bought it from said i should let them mount it so its done right. I dont see what they can do different than me? Is there anything special that can be done by them that i cant do?

I am a little confused about boresighting, i understand that it pre zeros the scope but all it does is make zeroing easier right? like if i dont mind doing it at the range it shouldnt matter?

does it have anything to do with mounting the scope? to me you mount it straight, line up the cross hairs, make sure the reticle is level and check eye relief. do they do something to keep the adjustments within limits or something or is that only needed if you cant adjust the scope within windage/elev limits?

I just dont want to mess up my new expensive scope. thanks for the advice.

mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Mounting Tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atomchaser
May 21, 2007, 06:18 AM
If they were new rings, they might lapp and align them with an alignment tool. Since they are already mounted, I doubt they are going to do much more than what your are proposing other than using a torque screwdriver and some locktite. Boresighting might save you some ammo as it will probably get you on the paper right off the bat at 50 yds, but that's about it. If it's a bolt action, you can do it yourself by remove the bolt and eyeballing a distant object throught the barrel and adjusting the scope to match. That will usually get you on the paper as well.

mike240se
May 25, 2007, 11:20 PM
What do i need to do if my scope on my ruger 10/22 max's out its internal adjustment but is still 8 or 10 inches low. how do i raise the scope up? shims? where do the shims go? under the scope in the front ring???

NC-Mike
May 26, 2007, 12:29 PM
What do i need to do if my scope on my ruger 10/22 max's out its internal adjustment but is still 8 or 10 inches low. how do i raise the scope up? shims? where do the shims go? under the scope in the front ring???

Had the same problem with a 10-22. I went through 3 sets of rings and tried to shim with electrical tape. The tape actually worked but I didn't think it was the most elegant solution. Enter Burris Signature rings with available offset inserts. The offset inserts come 3 to a set with .005, .010, and .020 offset inserts that will get a scope on paper with out moving the internal adjustments on the scope. You can use an offset insert in the front ring, back ring or both. Regular inserts have no offset. Easy to do and they send a nice chart telling you how much the POI will change with each particular insert.

I had a varmint scope I was mounting on my 10-22, and with the regular, non-offset inserts in the Burris rings, it was 8 inches high and 6" left at 25 yards. The scope had very limited adjustment and couldn't make up that POI at 25 yards to bring it in. The offset rings worked perfect and have held zero.

ranger335v
May 26, 2007, 08:18 PM
Your present rig can be made to zero. You don't say what base or rings you are using nor what range you are shooting so this is pretty broad:

First, try swapping the rings, front to rear. Next, if the base is a typical 10/22 type, swapping ends with that may help. Rings and bases are not always the same height, front to rear.

It that doesn't work use a shim. To raise impact, put soft metal shims UNDER THE REAR OF THE BASE. Cut strips of alum roofing flashing or even beer can metal equal to the width of the base and 3/4" long. Put the rear mounting screw hole about 3/8" from the forward end of the strip. (This short shim will prevent bending the base too much when it's tightened down.)

You can figger roughly that each thousant of an inch of shim will make (most) scope bases change about 1" or a bit more at 100 yards. Ideally you want to shim the base much more than enought to barely attain a zero. Aim for making it so the scope elevation adjustments are about mid-range for the initial zero, then use the knobs to make the final tweaks. That will keep your sight line through the optical center of your scope and provide the best vision.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Mounting Tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!