Bohica ar 50bmg uppers for under $1k

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

hornadylnl
May 21, 2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.bohicaarms.com/

I just put my name on the list for a new Bohica 50 bmg upper for ar lowers. Until June 1st, 24" barreled uppers are $895 and the 30" uppers are $995. They come with a bipod built into the stock and a rail on top. This guy is pretty new to building these and his website is pretty weak as of now. I just spoke to him on the phone and he said he's getting the website updated quickly. You'll have to go through all the buttons at the bottom to find as much info as you can. He said he has about 20 uppers from the second run left to sell and they should ship around Aug. 1st. For the price, I don't think you could go wrong with this upper.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bohica ar 50bmg uppers for under $1k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tube_ee
May 22, 2007, 09:41 AM
Were you aware that "bohica" is an acronym? Military slang... stands for "bend over, here it comes again."

Just thought folks would like to know...

--Shannon

MMcfpd
May 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
What's .50 BMG ammo availability/cost like?

Chem Geek
May 22, 2007, 03:34 PM

~$4 (or more) per round.

boss429
July 27, 2007, 10:52 PM
Did you get your bohica upper yet? They just contacted me about paying for mine.

hornadylnl
August 3, 2007, 06:04 PM
No, I haven't gotten mine yet. He emailed today and said it will be ready shortly.

Taurus44
August 3, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm on the list too! Cheapest entry-level 50BMG option there is... Gotta love it!

I'm building-up a dedicated lower just for that upper. I love the fact that you can use a factory trigger group (including hammer and springs) too. So, I can use a Jard 3# competition trigger, just like my other AR(s).

The Deer Hunter
August 3, 2007, 09:04 PM

Enough to reload.

hornadylnl
August 4, 2007, 12:17 PM
Just got this email from Chris and he asked me to post it on Arfcom so I figured I'd post it on here for him as well.
-----
I understand, I ran into a fit problem with the hand guards and had to re-work the tool. I will have new hand guards early next week and do my very best to get everybody's upper out the door by the end of the week.

I want you to understand that I'm doing my very best to build a high quality product that's worth waiting for.

Thanks again,

If you would please post this on AR-15 .com I would appreciate it as my membership has not been approved yet.

Thanks,

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp
(763) 441-2151
------

I hope everything is cool. I won't be able to shoot mine yet anyway. I've got all the reloading components but no press or powder measure yet. Still anxious to get it and see what it looks like.

MudPuppy
August 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
Please, please, please don't take shortcuts or do it "good enough" when making a 50BMG!

I hope Chris' customers are displaying patience--this is a heck of an undertaking. He needs to take the time to get it all right (appears to be the case) and he needs to keep folks updating.

Everyone who can get a 50BMG should have one. Trying to determine what I'm selling to get mine. Galil? No. AR? No. AK? Which one? Dang, love 'em all...Wonder what I could get out of a bolt action mossberg 12 guage...probably not enough.

PTK
August 4, 2007, 01:24 PM
Last I talked to Chris, he was hopeful about getting them all delivered by next week's end.

lee n. field
August 4, 2007, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Enough to reload.

Extra expenses: Big enough press, special dies. Special priming tool.

boss429
August 4, 2007, 11:21 PM
Looks like all 50bmg ammo is $5.00 and up right now I see most surplus $5.00a round and on Gunbroker Barrett branded ammo $5.00 a round but a year to two years ago you could get surplus AP/API for $.80 -$1.50 a round while the Barrett was still $5.00, Bosnian ball ammo was $.96 and free shipping over 500 rounds from Century and it was first rate shiney recent production. It seems every 6-8 years there's a shotage/price spike in 50bmg eventually going back down to a reasonable rate. Over on www.M2HB.net there was a fellow who figured the reloading costs.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=77150737

PTK
August 4, 2007, 11:27 PM
I'm getting M2AP for $3/rd new production brass.

Geno
August 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
Wow, that's a deal!

JTW Jr.
August 5, 2007, 01:58 AM
gun show today had 150 rounds of 50BMG for $319 , thats about $2.13 a round... cheaper than 338 Lapua :)

PTK
August 5, 2007, 02:37 AM
Make sure it's not corrosive or questionable origin. The stuff I buy is made in the USA.

brighamr
August 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
If you have an AR with a 50 upper, does it function the same as a .223 Ar? (Meaning, is it still semi-auto?) Sorry for the newb question. I'm still learning about the big calibers...

CommanderPoopyduX
August 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
Nope, single shot bolt. (50 is WAY too BIG for the AR magwell).

Geno
August 5, 2007, 02:42 PM
An FYI Re: recoil. The shorter barreled .50 BMG has lower recoil than the long barrel. According to the owner of Serbu, this is due to the duration of recoil (i.e. the time that it takes for the projectile to reach the muzzle break). Those desiring less recoil would want the shorter barrel. Those who want max velocity and darn the recoil would want the longer barrel.

lee n. field
August 5, 2007, 02:52 PM
Nope, single shot bolt.

Yep, pic here. (http://www.bohicaarms.com/BOLT%20PICS.htm)

Geno
August 6, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the information folks. I just placed my order.

Chris and his wife did an inventory and discovered that they had two uppers that could be sold. I just bought one. Ergo, he has one remaining. He anticipates the grips, etc arriving Wednesday(ish), and shipping late this week or early next.

Chris gives me the impression of "perfectionism"...I like perfectionists!!! If someone wants the other remaining upper, it is a 24", which is precisely what I like.

Again, thanks for the FYI Re: these uppers. Finally, I can afford a .50 BMG!!!

PTK
August 6, 2007, 06:04 PM
Here's the scoop from Chris as of today...

An update on the shipping of your FAR 50 Uppers from Bohica Arms.

We are experiencing a fit problem with the hand guards which we did not anticipate. They are currently at the mold shop and we are told they will be ready by Friday at the latest.

We pride ourselves in quality products and apologize for the delay. We will have a better estimate for shipping time by the end of the week. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Again we apologize for the delay and hope you can understand our concern with this issue.

Thank you.

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp
(763) 441-2151

brentn
August 6, 2007, 06:31 PM
this is friggen neat, a .50bmg bolt action upper for the ar15.. I love it.

Considering the overall weight and barrel length, I would have to guess that recoil is going to be 'interesting'.
Looks like this guy is barely keeping up with the orders, which seem to be only a few but a huge demand.
I hate when this happens, by the time you hear about it, its already too late and when you decide to order it, it doesn't ship out until next year becuase of all the backlog.

trueblue1776
August 6, 2007, 06:50 PM
Brentn-
It's got a fishgill break, recoil will probably be about the same as a 20ga.

Geno
August 6, 2007, 07:08 PM
Brentn: He has a 24" upper ready for sale right now if you want it.

TrueBlue1776: Recoil on this 17 Lb. upper is equal to a 3.5" 12 gauge.

At present he has appx 60 uppers assembled needing only the grips, and 40ish barrels needing mounting, testing and shipped. All but 1 have been sold.

Doc2005

Danus ex
August 6, 2007, 07:41 PM
Wow, this guy's right in Elk River. Note: if you guys screw up one of the last digits in his phone number you'll end up calling my grandma.

trueblue1776
August 6, 2007, 07:50 PM
Recoil on this 17 Lb. upper is equal to a 3.5" 12 gauge.

Curious to see the long term effects of that on an average lower unit.

Geno
August 6, 2007, 08:07 PM
I plan to purchase the stainless steel DMPS lower for mine:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4787&cat=1635

Stainless Steel Lower Receiver Assembly (Unassembled Natural)
Model: LR-05-SSUA: Sale Price: $513.95

Doc2005

Flyboy73
August 6, 2007, 08:26 PM
I emailed him about an upper. Sounds like i need to call him to place an order. Sounds like he is jam packed. A 50 BMG UPPER SWEET.

Does anyone have Info on what kinda on stock to use(I have a A2 stock and carbine stock. I saw a different kind of stock on his website, couldn;t find any info on the site though. Anyone know about the stock?

Brion

PTK
August 6, 2007, 10:03 PM
Use a Sully, or a standard A2. Anything with a recoil pad, really.

As for the timeline he runs orders at 12 weeks or so, I believe.

Flyboy73
August 6, 2007, 10:33 PM
I was thinking about getting a dedicated lower for the upper. You can a DPMS lower from RGUNS for $169 or think $205 with a A2 stock.

Brion

MOSINS
August 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
24" barreled uppers are $895 and the 30" uppers are $995.

That is very affordable, though I already have a fifty BMG,

I could always use a spare upper @ $895 for the carbine length.

:eek:

Flyboy73
August 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
Oh BTW is that Sully stock on the Gun pictured on his web site? I really like the look of it on the 50 upper.

Brion

PTK
August 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
I believe the current pricing is $995/24", $1095/30".

MOSINS
August 6, 2007, 10:38 PM
The price isn't on their website?

CommanderPoopyduX
August 6, 2007, 10:42 PM
Flyboy - depends which picture you are talking about for the stalk...

On the bolt page and the Upper page, the stock (the one with all the adjustable stuff) is the Magpul PRS.

also, "Introductory price as of 5/20/2007 is $995*" <--from their website on the purchase page

Double Naught Spy
August 6, 2007, 10:49 PM
Wow, this guy's right in Elk River. Note: if you guys screw up one of the last digits in his phone number you'll end up calling my grandma.

What deals is your grandma making on .50 BMG rifles?

Flyboy73
August 6, 2007, 11:21 PM
I was refering to the Home page. Is that a ACE stock with a cheek rest and thick recoil pad?

Brion

Mot45acp
August 6, 2007, 11:39 PM
Just use a lil ole 4 position collapsible. Airsoft if you got it. Leapers scope and your good to go.You'll be fine

trbon8r
August 6, 2007, 11:46 PM
Has anyone ordered a 30" barrel model recently?

Can anyone confirm if the introductory price of $995 is still in effect or no?

PTK
August 6, 2007, 11:59 PM
The 30" barrel model, as I posted, is $1095.

Geno
August 8, 2007, 12:13 AM
Correct Re: 24" barrel cost me $995.00 and total price shipped was $1,020.00, which is about as good a price as I can imagine!

One used to be able to buy a Ferret50 for a great price...then they got greedy.

One used to be able to buy a Serbu for a decent price...then they got greedy.

This upper is what I call the point of rationality: the most for the least. Who wants to go hunt boar?! Here piggy piggy!

Doc2005

PTK
August 8, 2007, 12:18 AM
Perfect for those loooooong shots on boar, I imagine...

Geno
August 9, 2007, 12:35 PM
Well...update for all interested in Club Bohica. I just spoke with Chris and the grips have arrived. They are being assembled. :) Oh I feel just all giddy.

Doc2005

PTK
August 11, 2007, 05:08 PM
Chris just reported over the phone that everything should be ready to ship Monday/Tuesday. He thanked those of us who placed orders for our business.

It's like Christmas Eve, boys!

Bohica_arms
August 12, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Guys.

I finally got a login approved so I can post here.

I appreciate those of you who have had the paitence to let us work out the production problems we encountered. I wouldn't have taken any payment yet from anybody if I had not truly though they would be ready to go within a reasonable time frame.

I have received the new handguards and am in the process of getting the first 40-50 finished up and in boxes. They should ship Monday or Tuesday. The rest will trickle out through the week.

Those of you who are going to pickup locally, I will have those ready by the first part of next week.

If anybody is not willing to wait, please contact me at the shop # listed on my pitiful website and I will have a refund issued. (much nicer website coming soon)

As I told one customer "I'd rather have you mad at me now, than once you get your product. Delivery issues are usually quickly forgoten, however the stigma of poor quality lasts forever"

Please don't hesitate to E-mail me with any questions, but don't be offended if you call and it takes a day to get back to you. I've been swamped with E-mails and calls and that just cuts into the available time to get product ready to ship.

Once again thanks!

Sincerely,

Chris Rosequist
President

Bohica Arms Corp

trueblue1776
August 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
Mr. Rosequist gets massive cool points for posting.

It looks like I may have to order one now...

PTK
August 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
Chris, great to finally have you here posting! I'm about as excited about this upper as I've ever been about any single firearm.

I know that it'll be well worth the wait, and that you wouldn't be delaying unnecessarily.

I have everything (minus the upper) ready to go and waiting, right down to the boresighter.

jkingrph
August 12, 2007, 01:25 PM
Were you aware that "bohica" is an acronym? Military slang... stands for "bend over, here it comes again."

Thought that when I first saw the post. It's amazing a company would chose that for a name.

PTK
August 12, 2007, 01:26 PM
Wry humor usually gets attention. The name of a company is used as a marketing device to draw attention. Why does it seem so amazing?

50 Shooter
August 12, 2007, 02:30 PM
Doc,
How can you say that Serbu got greedy when he hasn't changed the price on the BFG in years? When he first offered them for sale "introductory price" they were about $900. They were offered at that price to get people to buy them and get some reviews out there.

Plus Mark has repeatedly stated that he's doing everything he can to keep the BFG-50A (semi) at 5K. Barrett's first sold for about 3K back in the 80's and now they're $7,500 so...

Personally I don't think they got greedy, prices change on things all the time. You don't have to like it but if you want to play you have to pay. My gripe with anything is the cost of ammo, overnight the prices went from normal to outrageous. That's why I reload and refuse to pay these rediculous prices.

Bohica_arms
August 12, 2007, 02:35 PM
Just don't forget to take out the boresighter before you shoot it! - got this link from a customer.

http://www.thegunzone.com/kablooey.html

Bohica_arms
August 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
And as to the name of my company? I've always thought it was a great acronym. Hence the donkey (i.e Democratic party) as part of the logo.

Actually you'd be supprised as to how many people don't know what it stands for (BOHICA or the Donkey)

I'ts nice to be giving it to them for a change!!!

Chris R

Geno
August 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
Hey Chris!

Welcome to The High Road! Can hardly wait to get that .50 BMG! As has been said by others here, and I think we all agree, it is far better to wait for that perfected upper, than rush and not get it right. You seem to be a perfectionist! I have a genuine appreciation for the perfectionists' products. They are well worth the wait.

Thanks and again, welcome!

(Doc2005) PM for ID sent.

Geno
August 12, 2007, 08:15 PM
50 Shooter:

The Basic Serbu is up from $1,195.00 when I was first quoted to now $2,195.00? That's a big increase in two years that I have tracked them. JMHO. But, JMHO is what drives my participation in the market economy. Businesses charge (at times) by what the market will bear. My wallet won't bear $2,195.00 :)

Doc2005

MudPuppy
August 13, 2007, 03:08 AM
Chris, glad you're here.

I absolutely think you're doing the right thing by putting quality first. Well, a tie for first with customer communication. Get those two right and my grandkids will be talking about Colt, Remington, and Bohica when looking at firearm purchases.

Good luck and keep making them--saving my pennies, but it'll be a while yet. (though written in ink on my gotta have list)

trueblue1776
August 13, 2007, 08:46 AM
The Basic Serbu is up from $1,195.00 when I was first quoted to now $2,195.00? That's a big increase in two years that I have tracked them. JMHO. But, JMHO is what drives my participation in the market economy. Businesses charge (at times) by what the market will bear. My wallet won't bear $2,195.00

Mark Serbu's rifle has been that price for at least six years, I still think it's an awesome deal. I can't spend $2.2K on a rifle either, but if I could, a nice guy like Mark would get my dough.

Bohica sounds like a real shooter oriented company, an awesome thing to see in the world of faux tactical outfits selling overpriced chunks of black metal.

50 Shooter
August 13, 2007, 05:39 PM
Sorry for the thread jack but if anyone is interested in a complete Ferret50 set up with Nightforce scope, DPMS lower, cleaning gear... Let me know, not mine just passing it along.

PM me and I'll get you contact info, must go as person is moving out of country.

hornadylnl
August 15, 2007, 08:33 PM
Anybody got any word yet?

Bohica_arms
August 15, 2007, 09:15 PM
Guys - I'm really hoping to finish this week and ship early next week.

Like I told one customer today, just cleaning them is a pain! I have 100+ 50 BMG rifles to clean. . . Think about that, It's a pain after 3 hours on the range to clean the 3 you may bring out now go for 100.

They all need to be final inspected, handguards installed, manuals printed, wrapped, boxed, invoiced, ups label printed, order cross checked for bbl length, color & chambering, etc.

This is a very large project and I thank everybody for their patience.

I really didn't know that it would take so long to wrap up all the loose ends and get the product shipped.

Thanks again

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp

PTK
August 15, 2007, 09:50 PM
Chris,

You know how to build excitement with the best of them!

THR probably isn't the best place to complain about having to test fire 100 .50 BMG rifles, though. :D

Geno
August 15, 2007, 10:34 PM
Me me me...pick me!!! (Doc waives his hands like a giddy kid) I'll come help fire them!!! :what:

Chris:

Relax! Good coffee; good cigars and good firearms...they all take time. You have my unconditional support, and my appreciation.

Doc2005 (Gene) :D

PTK
August 15, 2007, 10:42 PM
Doc, there's a thought!

Chris! You're less that one day's drive from here. Want some help firing those? :D

Geno
August 15, 2007, 10:55 PM
No, I'm just joshin'...I have all-day meetings. :( Noooooow you know why I volunteered to help fire them. :( Sigh! :(

PTK
August 15, 2007, 11:00 PM
I have flex-time. I could actually drive (what, 12 hours?) there. :D

Dreams at their finest, I suppose. Just seeing 100 .50BMG rifles would be something else.

trbon8r
August 15, 2007, 11:07 PM
Man my bank account wishes this thread would just go away. :neener:

Just about the time I talk myself out of buying a .50 BMG (too impractical, too expensive, don't need it, tough to find a place to shoot it, etc.) this thread keeps popping back up. :)

These uppers really do look like a great product. If my new job works out as planned I think there may be a Bohica under my Christmas tree.

PTK
August 15, 2007, 11:09 PM
Bank account... I remember having one of those before. Now I eat Ramen noodles. I have nice firearms, though.

Flyboy73
August 16, 2007, 02:15 AM
Too bad my bank account needs to wait to be drained till the end of september.

going to be a long wait. Just about got everything for the rifle. Just need to get my lower order placed.

Brion

PTK
August 19, 2007, 12:43 PM
Any updates on this? I haven't heard anything from Chris yet.

Geno
August 19, 2007, 12:58 PM
Chris has to make a trip to pick up the remaining barrels. I personally am not pushing at all for "prompt" or specific-date delivery. I prefer to wait patiently and get the upper when able, and in excellent condition and quality. Chris indicated to me that my upper should arrive ship on Wednesday and projects arrival to me on Friday coming. If that date changes, it changes.

As I have stated many times, my upper will arrive when it arrives, and I am certain the time remaining for delivery will be reasonable. Start-up businesses are horrdily difficult tasks. My support to Chris, and my patience remain unwaivering.

God speed Chris and safe travel.

PTK
August 19, 2007, 01:11 PM
The only firm date I got was when I originally placed my order - he said production should start at the end of August and ship sometime in the month thereafter. To me, we're way ahead of schedule!

The only problem is that now I'm excited about it. :D

I too would prefer to wait for a quality product rather than have corners cut just to get them out the door.

Bohica_arms
August 20, 2007, 12:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I won't be making a Montana run until after these have shipped, I had oversold the 30" barrels by accident and was short 5. I have spoken with those buyers and they said they'd wait a week until everyone else's has shipped.

To those guys thanks a lot!

To every one else....... Thanks as well

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp

PTK
August 20, 2007, 12:36 AM
Chris, thanks for keeping us posted!

I ordered a 30", but didn't get a message about it being unavailable. Does that mean mine is going to be ready along with the rest?

hornadylnl
August 24, 2007, 09:18 PM
Anybody get any shipping confirmations yet?

Geno
August 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
No. I have sent a couple of PMs, but have heard back from him. I am assuming Chris is extremely busy.

That's a lot of uppers to build. :what:

Doc2005

Bohica_arms
August 25, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hi guys!

To all of you who have patiently waited. The first 50 are on the way. If you are in the range of those that shipped you will get an E-mail confirmation from UPS Quantum view.

To those who are still waiting, please hang in there! I'm going to do everything I can to get the balance shipped next week.

To the few people who have begun calling/e-mailing every day. Please let me kindly refund your money with no hard feelings. I'm sure you can find another upper for double the money and 4 times the wait.......:rolleyes:

To everybody else (98% of you) - I thank you for your patience!

Sincerely

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp

-C4-
August 27, 2007, 08:08 PM
Great news. I can't wait to get mine.

PTK
August 27, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hey, I don't e-mail every day! :D

Geno
August 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
PTK's doing the water-closet-dance, waiting for his upper! :neener:

Seriously, are we like a bunch of kids waiting for our Christmas gifts or what?!

PTK
August 28, 2007, 02:22 PM
We absolutely are! For good reason, as far as I understand. Quality true bolt-action uppers at $1k? Amazing.

I think I spent more on the lower, parts, rings, scope, and ammo.

Taurus44
August 28, 2007, 02:36 PM
I emailed a while back to get on the list. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm waiting patiently. :D

30 cal slob
August 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
:evil:well, those of you who get 'em ... please report back on how they shoot.

tube_ee
August 28, 2007, 06:19 PM
PTK's doing the water-closet-dance

Bohica... water-closet-dance... ewwwww!!!! :barf:

--Shannon

50 Shooter
August 28, 2007, 09:00 PM
So how many of you guys that have one on order are going to reload?

I know there's the Lee and for the price it's a good starter but how many would want a multi station press?

So now you're asking yourself why I'm asking and here's why. I have a prototype 4 station press built but don't know how big of a market there's going to be. If you've seen the Hollywood turret press and like that one then you'll like mine even better. Plus the Hollywood is 1K without anything and I'm sure I could come in at least a couple hundred less if there were enough built at one time.

Thoughts?

PTK
August 28, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'm not going to think about reloading until I burn through the few hundred rounds I have now.

hornadylnl
September 1, 2007, 09:14 AM
Chris posted pics the uppers on Arfcom. They look great. I went ahead and had him ship mine withouth the handguard. It is due to arrive on Tuesday. I'll post pics as soon as I get it.

Geno
September 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
Mine is ordered as black (the natural color). The other colors have to be finished. I wonder if he had to order more handguards?

PTK
September 1, 2007, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have a link to the thread on AR15.com? I can't seem to find it.

Bohica_arms
September 1, 2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=226960&page=2

Geno
September 1, 2007, 01:17 PM
Suuuuuuweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! How beautiful seeing all those barrels side-by-side! I especially like seeing the 24" and the 30" for comparison!

Chris:

How you can fire THAT MANY .50 BMGs is beyond my ability even to imagine!

Doc2005

Edit to add: I posted this over at AR15:

I think one more post from a supportive and waiting customer is in order. Bravo to all the others, who are waiting patiently like me. It's hard enough to run a start-up business without drama queens. Great work Chris!!! You have my support!!

Doc2005 (The High Road)
Bushman2006 (AR15)

PTK
September 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
Chris - I'm amazed people didn't believe that you were actually making these. You're more patient than I ever could be when people call me a liar/cheat/thief or anything similar.

Also.... I'm even more eager and excited about my 30" upper now!

jimbob1911
September 1, 2007, 03:06 PM
People at ar15 call you a liar and full of bs if you don't have pictures, video, or a sworn statement notorized.....nah not those people. :-)

milo z
September 2, 2007, 03:19 PM
I don't even have an appropriate range to shoot a .50 and I want one of these. Hmmm...

PTK
September 2, 2007, 03:57 PM
I know what you mean! This upper is headed to me and all I know to shoot at so far is a 25yd indoor range. I may be heading to a range about an hour from here to try it out, though.

Still excited, still waiting patiently.

havanatrader
September 2, 2007, 05:00 PM
I hope someone posts a range report about their new BOHICA as soon as you get it out there.
I'm waiting to hear about their performance before putting my $$ down.

Geno
September 2, 2007, 07:51 PM
I have my 36X scope already in rings, and ready to mount it. The ammo box is full, and the 100 yard range is 18 miles away. :D

Taurus44
September 2, 2007, 09:45 PM
I know what you mean! This upper is headed to me and all I know to shoot at so far is a 25yd indoor range. I may be heading to a range about an hour from here to try it out, though.
I thought you were bringing it over here to break it in! :D

PTK
September 2, 2007, 09:47 PM
That would be about an hour from here, the way I drive! :D

Taurus44
September 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
Heh. 300 yards won't even let the .50 stretch its legs, but it is a damned sight better than 25 yards! :D

koja48
September 2, 2007, 11:10 PM
Doc ~

Shouldn't that read "the 18-mile range is a couple miles away?" Let me know how they shoot . . . I'm intrigued . . .

yhtomit
September 3, 2007, 12:49 AM
If I had a thousand dollars for it ... this would be a good thing to get, even though I have no AR rifles / component at all, just to up the numbers of people with the scary, blows-up-schoolhouses .50cal guns :)

Also nice to see makers with actual THR presence -- I'm sure that people from all kinds of gun companies are at least lurkers here, but (for lawyerly CYA reasons, I'd guess) don't always say so.

timothy

Geno
September 3, 2007, 12:23 PM
:banghead: I was looking forward to testing my rifles back on the family farm (3/4 mile X 5/8 mile). But, my cousin sold the parcel of land that joins my brothers...crap...now down to about 5/8 mile. :( But there's more...now I have to shoot either east or west. I prefer shooting north...the sun is on my back, and illuminates the targets very well.

You know, some company makes hunting round of the .50 BMG don't they?! Way I see it, I could shoot, skin and gut the deer all with one shot. :evil: For those who don't understand my sick humor, yes, I am joking. Well, maybe I'm joking. Muhaaa. You know, you wife doesn't call em Dr. Evil for nothing.

Fred Fuller
September 3, 2007, 08:42 PM
I have to tell y'all, I've enjoyed reading this thread. It brings back memories of days long gone now, when I was waiting for my Serbu to get built and delivered. Those were the days... it's good to see the attitude of patience still persists in the community while a young company finds it feet in the marketplace, .50 shooters are big in lots of ways besides just their bore size.

Congratulations and best wishes to BOHICA, y'all early adaptors enjoy your new big boy's toys, and Stay Safe-

lpl/nc

iamkris
September 9, 2007, 09:39 PM
I just got in line for a 30" model. Thanks Chris!!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/Bohica50BMGACE.jpg

PTK
September 9, 2007, 10:08 PM
Kris, you just had to remind me. I was just getting this out of my mind, waiting patiently.

Now I'm a kid before Christmas again!

SoCalShooter
September 9, 2007, 10:13 PM
Anyone know where I can get .50 DTC?

MrRoo
September 9, 2007, 10:35 PM
SoCal shooter BOHICA also makes a .510 DTC version for the same price. I am currently on the waiting list for one :)

-C4-
September 10, 2007, 12:08 AM
Can't wait to get mine. I got on the list for a 30" a while ago. I should be getting mine soon.

MrRoo
September 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
Lucky! I debated getting one for over a month! I didn't decide to do it till August :(

SoCalShooter
September 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
re:MrRoo

i saw those and I think I will get one chambered in that. Although I am wonderding if they make it in a MATCH upper because i would want to use it for long range matches. I also am wondering where to get .50DTC ammo or where to get the shell plates for it.

50 Shooter
September 10, 2007, 12:45 AM
MrKubota sells 50 DTC ammo, if you can make it out to the range you can pick it up there. If not he can ship it to you, he's located in Redlands.

I'm sure he'll reply to this when he sees it.

SoCalShooter
September 10, 2007, 12:48 AM
What range?

50 Shooter
September 10, 2007, 12:51 AM
Angeles Range

www.angelesranges.com

mrkubota
September 10, 2007, 01:23 AM
I'll have some of the new range friendly brass projo ammo to test out in .50DTC-EDM on the 16th at ASR.
If you want to try a few rounds, you're welcome to shoot my Serbu .50DTC rifle.

//Ben

Bohica_arms
September 10, 2007, 02:21 AM
Hi Guys,

42 more in the boxes - Automated shipping E-mails should go out.

The balance will ship as they are assembled. (hopefully in the next few days)

Thanks for your patience.

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp.

PTK
September 10, 2007, 08:20 AM
I really, really hope I get an e-mail with a tracking number. :D

Geno
September 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
Chris:

The upper arrived. It's really nice workmanship, Chris! Both the fit and finish are pristine! The tolerances are impressive; there is no wiggle-room bewteen the upper/lower. I'll load pics as soon as I can.

Thank-you,

Doc2005 :D

MaterDei
September 13, 2007, 04:10 PM
I've been following this thread waiting for SOMEBODY to receive their upper and to post pics.

Hurry Doc!

Geno
September 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
Here are 18 pics of my 24" BOHICA .50 BMG upper:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0108.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0109.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0110.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0111.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0112.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0113.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0114.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0115.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0116.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0117.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0118.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0119.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0120.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0121.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0122.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0123.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0124.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/IMGP0125.jpg

Doc2005

Geno
September 13, 2007, 05:19 PM
The bolt on these uppers is wild. Specifically, the base of the bolt handle, which would ordinarily rub against the receiver when closing, has a roller-bearing, and so it operates as-smooth-as silk! How cool. And the bolt's twin-locking lugs are massive indeed! This whole design is wild!

Doc2005

PTK
September 13, 2007, 05:48 PM
I hate you. Mine hasn't shipped yet. :D

Geno
September 13, 2007, 06:02 PM
PTK:

I have a buy a dedicated lower. I don't want to use it on my Colt AR15 lower, and my Bushmaster has the 6-position stock. Chris advised me he would not suggest using the 6-position stock, because only one pin in the stock would be keeping the scope away from my face. So, I will buy a dedicated lower.

I already returned the last-round hold open piece back to the Bushmaster's lower, so I didn't bother taking pics with the upper mounted on the lower receiver. So, in the end, you and I will likely end up firing our uppers on the very same day. I assure one fact, you will LOVE the upper. Chris did an awesome job! I am so glad that I waited!

Doc2005

Outlaws
September 13, 2007, 06:17 PM
I have a buy a dedicated lower. I don't want to use it on my Colt AR15 lower, and my Bushmaster has the 6-position stock. Chris advised me he would not suggest using the 6-position stock, because only one pin in the stock would be keeping the scope away from my face. So, I will buy a dedicated lower.

The California single shot lower by DPMS generally looks really good with 50bmg uppers. Its gets ride of the unused magazine well so it looks less odd.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=866&cat=1639

havanatrader
September 13, 2007, 06:30 PM
Here are 18 pics of my 24" BOHICA .50 BMG upper:

Now I've gotta clean the drool off my keyboard...

Geno
September 13, 2007, 06:42 PM
Outlaws:

I agree 100%!!! The link is appreciated.

Doc2005

rbthntr64
September 14, 2007, 01:51 AM
Looking forward to getting mine! My boy needs a girlfriend.
http://www.iland.net/~rhntr64/images/bucksnort1.jpg

-C4-
September 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
Damn.... now I really want mine.... nice pics though. I am actually going to buy a lower for this purpose to and throw a MagPul PRS on it. Last thing I want is some plastic stock to fail and get hit in the face with a scope. I am curious about the ACE M4 SOCOM. It is colapsable, but with a metal pin. Wondering how it would fair.

Will Learn
September 14, 2007, 09:07 PM
How do you remove the bolt on the AR-15 upper? Does the handle unscrew?

-C4-
September 14, 2007, 10:05 PM
Hey rbthntr64.... what rifle is that in the picture?

rbthntr64
September 15, 2007, 03:21 AM
Home built off of GunMetal Designs plans.

ke6guj
September 16, 2007, 12:57 AM
Longrangesupply.com just put up a nice photo review of the Bohica 50.

http://www.longrangesupply.com/images/bohica/review.htm

iamkris
September 16, 2007, 09:45 AM
That's a great review...makes me even more excited.

I'm in line for the Nov 2007 shipment...getting a 30" configured model. I'm going to start working on getting my lower together over the next month or so.

Quick question...anyone have advice on scope rings? I looked at the Barrett rings, and while they are beautiful, $180 is pretty spendy. Anyone have any other favorites for big recoiling setups (that hopefully cost 25-30% of the Barretts)?

PTK
September 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'll just have Leupold rings on mine. When I asked them, they said the aluminum rings would work just fine.

rbthntr64
September 16, 2007, 12:39 PM
For the scope rings try the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings. Available in low,med, and high. They have six screws on the cap and a large nut for the rail clamp. These are aluminum, but work very well.

iamkris
September 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
For the scope rings try the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings.

Those look like winners!! Anyone have experience with them on heavy hitters? It appears that midwayusa has them in a 2 pack for around $50.

I have had good experience with Burris optics...never used their rings though.

ROMAK IV
September 16, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well, I had written off the possibility of getting a 50BMG rifle due to cost, but it appears I'm going to reconsider. Unfortunatley it might be next month before I would have the cash available to do so, so I hope the price holds a little longer.

Outlaws
September 16, 2007, 08:03 PM
Well, I had written off the possibility of getting a 50BMG rifle due to cost, but it appears I'm going to reconsider. Unfortunatley it might be next month before I would have the cash available to do so, so I hope the price holds a little longer.

The cost isn't any cheaper. $1000 for a Bohica or $3000 for an AR50, its all the same in the end. The ammunition is what costs real money. When you get 20 rounds for $80-100, it won't feel like that $1000 rifle is so cheap anymore. Just a nice decoration for under the bed. Even loading your own won't make it cheaper. Cheaper than factory, sure, but not cheap. Chalk up $600+/- for all new loading equipment. New cleaning supplies too, but whats $50 for a cleaning rod when we are dealing with those other numbers.

If you want one, go for, but just realize that if you cannot afford $3000 for a BMG rifle, you still probably won't be able to afford to shoot a $1000 BMG rifle. I know I can't.

iamkris
September 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
Well, Outlaw, that was a depressing post. Projecting a bit, are we?;)

Yes, I know the ammo is expensive...would I rather it cost $0.50 a round? Yes. Will it keep me from buying one and shooting it as much as I can? No.

Ever think maybe people 1) can afford it 2) will budget for it 3) prefer to spend the extra $2000 on ammo or 3) will shoot as much as they can and savor each shot. I own lots of guns that I only get to shoot a couple of times a year.

BTW, a 50 BMG reloading set up can be had from Lee Precision for around $160...not sure where you are getting $600.

I want one because Diane Fienstein and Hussein Obama don't want me to own it. And that is reason enough.

Outlaws
September 16, 2007, 11:06 PM
Ever think maybe people 1) can afford it 2) will budget for it 3) prefer to spend the extra $2000 on ammo or 3) will shoot as much as they can and savor each shot. I own lots of guns that I only get to shoot a couple of times a year.

I think you read too much into my post. The point I was making was that if you can afford to shoot a BMG, and I don't mean 20 rounds a year, the rifles cost is not going to be the issue. If you are buying it to shot 20 rounds a year, then thats fine too. But there is no cheap 50 BMG.

Taurus44
September 17, 2007, 09:54 AM
For the scope rings try the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings. Available in low,med, and high. They have six screws on the cap and a large nut for the rail clamp. These are aluminum, but work very well.I have those rings on a pair of rifles and they are VERY nice. I doubt you will find any more solid of a scope ring from anyone, and the price is nice, too.

PTK
September 18, 2007, 12:56 AM
My 30" barreled upper ships out in the morning. I am very much looking forward to it!

iamkris
September 18, 2007, 09:09 AM
Cool! Pics would be much appreciated!

ROMAK IV
September 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yes, there is a difference! Another design I wanted previously in an AR upper, went up steadily to over $2000 and that was just the upper. This one s a decent design and not one of those AR uppers that you have to open the action and screw out the breach with a big screw driver each time you take a shot. Yes, ammunition is expensive and I won't be abe to fire it near as much as I would my Milsurps. But, there is always the few surplus rounds to supplement the new factory made ammunition, which has recently became quite a bit more available. What I would do is buy the new rounds and save the brass for future reloading. I have been in aquisition mode for the past 15 years, and I am trying to work into shooting mode. A 50 BMG rifle "was" part of my aquisition goals because it was and still is, endangered from government bans. An AR upper, in 50 BMG is perfect, because, it isn't, by itself, a firearm. Therefore, it is ban proof. If you are really paranoid, then you can build the entire rifle from an 80% AR receiver.

iamkris
September 18, 2007, 10:27 PM
Sorry, I couldn't help it...I just had to post again because like others on this thread I am giddy with excitement. Chris has been an excellent communicator and helping me through this process.

Here's a great pic of why the interest in these BMGs is so high...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

And I just bought this lower for it today...will pick up next week...

http://www.rguns.net/009/009_69HR.jpg

Geno
September 19, 2007, 12:16 AM
Update:

Those waiting for their Bohica upper can prep some of the items that will need doing.

1) The bolt hold-open has to be removed. Bohica sells a replacement if you plan to use the same lower for 5.56 and .50 BMG.

2) The hammer may need the sharp edges machined down. Their are two types of AR hammers...rounded and squared. If you have the squared version, the bolt will bind and become locked in the open position. To un-stick it, you would have to depress the hammer downward with a stick and move the bolt forward.

By the way, my Bushmaster lower with a 6-position stock works great when fully collapsed. For me, the reach is perfect. I have one of my red dot sights mounted while I look for a pair of high rings to mount the 36X scope to test fire it for groups.

It's an awesome upper!

Doc2005

madmike
September 19, 2007, 12:25 AM
I came in skeptical, but I have to say I'm impressed by what I see.

Now I'm torn between this and an Ultramag .50

BTW: I have agitated and will continue to that .510 DTC should be co-named ".499 Feinstein.":evil:

boss429
September 19, 2007, 11:46 AM
Great! they are shipping-I wish i didn't know now I'll be looking real hard for the package.

Anybody know what's different about the modified bolt hold open?

Cannonball888
September 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
Their are two types of AR hammers...rounded and squared
Anyone got pics of the two types or know which kind the various AR manufacturers use?

madmike
September 19, 2007, 01:08 PM
http://www.ameetecarms.com/store/images/ar15_hammer.jpg

And the one on the right:
http://www.ak47.net/content/legal/ar15-m16parts/hammer.gif

Cannonball888
September 19, 2007, 03:33 PM
OK. Which is rounded and which is square :confused:

iamkris
September 19, 2007, 03:36 PM
Ummm...the hammer with the rounded "nose" is rounded, and the one with the square nose is the square one

Cannonball888
September 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
So, if I have a square one, can I just round it with a grinder? I don't like th idea of a stuck bolt I have to free with a stick according to Doc.

PTK
September 19, 2007, 04:00 PM
So, if I have a square one, can I just round it with a grinder?

Yes. Make certain it is never used in a regular AR-15, though.

boss429
September 19, 2007, 04:09 PM
--OK. Which is rounded and which is square
I'm with you Canonball888 I see three different hammers, two with rounded noses of which one says it's the same as the one with the notch in the nose.

--Quote:
So, if I have a square one, can I just round it with a grinder?

Yes. Make certain it is never used in a regular AR-15, though.
Today 02:41 PM
So the rounded is an M-16 hammer?

PTK
September 19, 2007, 04:20 PM
The rounded hammer with the auto sear disconnecter hook is an M-16 hammer, yes.

madmike
September 19, 2007, 05:58 PM
If you use an M16 hammer, you must grind off the "hook" at the rear, that engages the auto disconnector.

You may have the face either with the round top, or the notched top in an AR. The only bit that matters is the hook for the disconnector.

The notched top gives a measure of safety against a runaway, should the disconnector spring fail. It prevents a slam-fire on closing.

It is not illegal to have the rounded nose on the hammer. It was standard for years and a great many makers still use them.

Geno
September 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
CB888:

Yes, I removed my Bushmaster upper, then released the hammer so it stood in the "fired" position. Then, I used my Dremel and ground about 1/16" to 1/8" off of the squared edges on the front/top of the hammer, thus placing a rounded edge. I tried it several times inorder to take off the absolute MINIMAL amount of steel. This alteration does NOT effect functioning with the Bushmaster upper.

Doc2005

Geno
September 19, 2007, 08:33 PM
MadMike:

Re: pictures in post #150: Exactly...mine is the AR-15 type...on the right. The squared edges on the upper / left part of the AR picture, those are the two squared edges that I rounded ever so slightly. Don't lob off half of the hammer. Take off ever so little at a time, and simply create a rounded edge to those squared points.

Doc2005

Taurus44
September 20, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hmm... I bought a Jard 3# adjustable trigger for my BOHICA lower. I'll have to look at it again. I'd hate to have to grind anything off of it. :(

PTK: When are you coming over to shoot that thing?!? :D

iamkris
September 20, 2007, 09:35 AM
Taurus44 -- I'm with you...I don't want to leave my stock trigger in my new rifle...was planning on dropping in a RRA 2-stage NM unit. Now it looks like I'll have to grind off the sharp edges.

Bohica_arms
September 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Guys! -

The last few uppers will go out today or tomorrow.

I want to say thanks to everybody for their patience and help in getting this first batch thru to shipment. It's been a LOT of work but now had become very rewarding getting customer feedback regarding the uppers.

Been swamped the last two weeks so I've had very limited time to offer any help. But thought I'd jump in on the hammer issue.

Here's what I've found,

The original AR-15 hammer is radiused like an M-16 hammer. that works the best, The M-16 hammer is legal and is used by some manufacturers because of decreased cost (Hesse,Vulcan for sure, possibly OLY as well)

If you have an M-16 hammer, you need to grind down the WIDTH of the disconnector catch on the back of the hammer so it will fit thru the slot in the upper. I've had a couple customers report this works fine.

If you have an A2 style "notched" hammer, it WILL work, I've had ONE that stuck the tube, but they do make it stiffer to cycle the bolt.

I have radiused the top notch on several hammers until you can just see the notch. This works the best, it's completely legal, and WILL work with both the .223 and 50 uppers.

As far as the third party triggers, I've not tested any of them as there is a wide variety available. I have the Jard in a couple of my target .223 AR's and really like it. I suspect that the Jard hammer spring will NOT be stiff enough to give reliable ignition, Especially with tough military primers. I don't think you wouuld need to grind the hammer on a Jard though as it lays back further when it's snagged by the trigger.

I have NOT tried or personally used a McCormick in any of my rifles, I think that it would be similar to the Jard though.

Please let me know your experiences RE: third party triggers if you choose to try them.

Next topic - Bolt Catch

Bolt catches are necessary only if you plan on swapping from the .223 to the 50 and back. EVERYBODY that got an upper WILL get a bolt catch at NO CHARGE. ..........But due to the amount of crap I caught RE the shipping date, they will ship later. I am having them investment cast just like the Mil-spec units.

If you HAVE to have one real quick, I have a FEW machined ones available. Please call or E-mail with a good reason (Such as I'm leaving for the sandbox in the AM) and I'll get you one of the hen's teeth. Otherwise expect to see them in about 6 weeks.

BUFFER TUBES - It has also come up that some guys are finding their bolts don't slide very easliy. We have tracked this down to a buffer tube that is either bent, or one that is of a fabricated design that is welded from 3 pieces. I would suggest a replacement buffer tube from Model1sales.com (no affiliation) they are $9 and I've never seen a bent one yet.

The other thing customers are doing are putting a slight radius on the inside corner of the buffer tube with a Dremel tool. I will make a revision on the next batch to put a 15degree taper on the plastic end cap to eliminate this potential problem. If anybody wants this mod done send your stripped bolt tube back to me and I'll do it at no charge.

BUTT PADS,

I've got pad molds made for the ACE ARFX stock, Magpul PRS Stock and the Mil-spec A-2 Stock. The pads will be black and are about 1 1/2" thick silicone. The drasticly reduce felt recoil. The ACE amd Magpul pads include an aluminum back plate, the A2 pad is a slip over.

Please let me know if you want one, they will be the next item on the production line.

Thanks again!

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp
(763) 441-2151

(This is posted on THR and ARF.com)

iamkris
September 20, 2007, 12:12 PM
Chris

HUGE kudos for taking the time to keep everyone updated and for your transparency.

As for triggers, I'm really wanting to put in the RRA 2-stage NM trigger...I'll probably put a Wolff extra power hammer spring in it an hope it doesn't negate the nice trigger pull that the RRA has. I'll play with the radius at the hammer top and let you know once I get my upper.

As for the recoil pad for the Magpul PRS, please put me in line...I have a PRS on my lower that I'll use for your upper and was going to make my own pad. Now I'll just get it from you.

Kris

PTK
September 20, 2007, 01:05 PM
Taurus44 - as soon as I get the upper, I'll PM you so we can meet up!

Chris - thanks for keeping us all posted. I look forward to getting a shipping number so I can harass the UPS man!

50 Shooter
September 20, 2007, 01:38 PM
Check out the cover of the latest Very High Power (VHP) mag put out by the FCSA www.fcsa.org it has pics from the world championships at Raton this year.

Just think, all you guys with your uppers could be there next year shooting in Hunter class. :cool:

PTK
September 20, 2007, 06:46 PM
My upper should arrive tomorrow....

'Twas the night before fifty-blasts and all through the 'hood
Not a person was stirring, no bad guys, no good

The tracking number sent, packaged with care
Transmitted o'er lines, hung through the air

Shipment expected, the twenty-first
A day later, at the very worst

"Woohoo" was exclaimed with a glorious shout,
Shortly thereafter, laughter rang out

The lower was ready, the scope had its rings
An assortment of targets, all manner of things

I had to exclaim, as the hours slowly passed,
"Happy fifty cals to all, and to all a good blast!"

iamkris
September 21, 2007, 12:22 AM
What scope are you guys choosing? I know the Leupold and Nightforce usually get the nod...any others?

PTK
September 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
I'm using sort of a cheapie - the Burris Fullfield 2. Mine has a "ballistic plex" reticle.

iamkris
September 21, 2007, 10:07 AM
I like the Burris scopes a lot...I have one on my Tikka T3 that is really nice.

Will be interested in how it holds up to recoil. I'm going a bit cheap as well...spending around $300 vs the $1000 on a scope that most people recommend.

Anyone else have experience in durability of non-Leupold/Nightforce scopes. Yes, I know if you buy those you'll never regret it...just interested in dissenting opinions.

-C4-
September 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
Be careful with cheap scopes on a .50. My friend tested out several cheap scopes on his Barrett. Most if not all of them failed after just a few rounds. The failures were not dangerous, but the lenses were knocked out of alignment and were useless after. Unless of course you need to shoot at a barn from inside.

Taurus44
September 21, 2007, 11:03 AM
I'll probably use a Bushnell Elite on mine. I have them on a bunch of other assorted rifles, and I've been very pleased with them.

Bohica_arms
September 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
Kris,

I've got a Burris Fullfield II balistic plex on my test upper, It's had 650+ rounds thru it and still holds zero. I have tried Tasco and BSA and they only last for about 100 rounds or so. I know a bunch of guys went with the super sniper from swfa.com they're about $300 and hold up, but they're fixed magnification.

just my .02

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp

Flyboy73
September 22, 2007, 12:59 AM
Where;s a good source to get a rounded hammer? Not sure i want to grind my stock hammer. Numerich has M16 hammers, but they say they are NFA items.

Brion

PTK
September 22, 2007, 09:07 AM
Brion - MidwayUSA has DPMS hammers, which look like M16 hammers except without the hook.

Flyboy73
September 23, 2007, 03:26 AM
Are all the DPMS hammer's rounded? I got a DPMS lower but I am not at home to check mine out.

Brion

PTK
September 23, 2007, 03:50 AM
Here (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=485437&t=11082005) is a link to the hammer I was talking about. It looks as though all DPMS hammers are rounded.

anymanusa
September 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
I am slow so please help me to understand what is going on here.

I can get a BOHICA upper for roughly $1000, that will work with my AR10 or AR15 lower, with only a few special items (hammer?). My AR10 and my AR15 have different spacing on the lowers, what am I missing here?

How much additionally would I need to purchase to make the upper a functional gun?

thanks

trueblue1776
September 23, 2007, 10:43 AM
Flyboy-

I'm pretty sure I used a DPMS kit on my Stag build. It is a square hammer. (But the DPMS site shows a rounded one ???)

Armyman-

These uppers are for AR-15 not AR-10.

PTK
September 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
anymanusa, the upper, a scope, an AR-15 lower w/internals, and cartridges and you're good to go.

Taurus44
September 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
Chris just sent me confirmation that I am near the top of the list for the next batch! :D

PTK
September 23, 2007, 01:32 PM
Taurus44 - we must go to the range soon! :D

Also, preliminary thoughts and a bunch of pictures are up, seen here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=304558).

Taurus44
September 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
PTK: Maybe we should try it on my lower too. That way we'll know if my Jard trigger has enough of a hammer spring to ignite the .50BMG primers (and if the hammer needs to be ground).

PTK
September 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
Sounds fine to me! As long as it comes home with me, I'm happy. :D

-C4-
September 25, 2007, 11:37 AM
Got mine today. Only issue was that it looked like UPS dropped it onto the muzzle. Called Chris and hes already got a new muzzle brake on the way out to me. Good to know there are actually some companies that still believe in customer service. Anyways as for the rest of it.... all I can say is the damn thing is built like a brick and Chris did an amazing job of building a super quality product at a great cost. So Kudos to Chris.

-C4-

madmike
September 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
Anyone got an accuracy report?

Flyboy73
September 27, 2007, 08:12 AM
finally got to check my DPMS hammer. Its a rounded type.

Brion

anymanusa
October 7, 2007, 01:52 AM
Just put one on order myself, and went to the gun shop today and bought some ammo for it!!

I can't wait!

Taurus44
October 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
For anyone who might be interested, I contacted Jard about my trigger/hammer concerns. I asked specifically if changing the hammer spring would do anything to affect the weight or function of the trigger (3# adjustable, single-stage).

Their official word is that if I needed to change to an extra power hammer spring to ignite the (hard) primers on surplus .50 ammo, it would not change the trigger function or feel in any appreciable way.

So... I might just go ahead and put in an extra power hammer spring while I wait for my upper. Better safe than sorry, and I'd rather do it now than once the upper arrives and I have it in my hot little hands. :evil:

LeibstandarteAdH
October 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
If you have an AR with a 50 upper, does it function the same as a .223 Ar? (Meaning, is it still semi-auto?) Sorry for the newb question. I'm still learning about the big calibers...
Here is the pic:
http://www.bohicaarms.com/images/image002.jpg

And the DPMS hammer:

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=485437

MaterDei
October 11, 2007, 04:35 PM
Any range reports guys? I'm curious what you guys are finding these uppers are capable of.

Thanks.

Flyboy73
October 16, 2007, 01:09 AM
I see the new Bothica web site is up. Very nice, much better then the old one.

Sounds like my upper is being pushed out to mid november know. Oh well, just have to be patient.

BTW i was looking at lower and was thinking about putting a 5 round ar mag to fill in the mag well. Thought the lower would look better with a mag in place, since the 5 round mag just bearly clears the mag well.

Will a magazine interfere with the bolt? Anyone who got a upper try it with one it place?

Brion

Bohica_arms
October 16, 2007, 02:07 AM
Hey Brion,

No, the mag lips will not clear the bottom of the upper receiver, You will need to destroy a mag to do what you are talking about. A couple of guys are kicking around filling a 20 rnd w/ lead to add more weight to the platform for Benchrest shooting.

As far as the next batch shipping goes, I have been integrating customer feedback into the design, and have also redesigned several parts in order to help achieve a painless fit with the many lowers that I've encountered. Unfortunately this has pushed back the shipdate 'til Mid-November at the earliest.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp

anymanusa
October 16, 2007, 09:33 AM
thanks for the feedback Chris. BTW, I am Kris (anymanusa) and I can't wait to get my upper! Just let me know when the time comes!

tia:D

Flyboy73
October 16, 2007, 09:26 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info. Probally will not want to destrory one of my mags. Just thought i might be able to use my 5 round mag to fill the mag well.

Have you thought about offering a lead filled mag or something to fill in the mag well? Not sure about the other guys, but i would be intreseted. Just a thought.

Can't wait to get the upper.

Brion

katonk
October 18, 2007, 02:13 AM
What I did was purchase a plastic "Jimmy Plug" from Brownells..it fits perfectly to cap the mag well off. I also got a Madsen recoil pad to replace my trapdoor butt plate to protect my shoulder...if that's possible..:)
Anyway..the "Jimmy Plug" is 10.95 and the item number is: 100-002-647

And the Madsen recoil pad item # is : 560-153-700...(It's the one on the left)

The scope mount I will be using are from Precision Tactical--Part # 01-SAM-02 (waiting on a 30mm lapping tool to mount the scope)

Lastly, I also got an "Extra Power" hammer spring for positive ignition...Item # 969-000-101 for a pack of 3

I also thought about placing either anti-skid tape on the bottom pads of the bi-pod or teflon sheeting..not sure which would be more beneficial...by the way, if you type in "Bohica 50" on You Tube, you'll get a couple of hits of them being shot..:)

iamkris
October 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the reply to this post, Chris.

Bummer that we're moving out to mid-November...but if it means I get a better product, no problem!

Also, I just wanted to remind you that I'm Kris...happily waiting in line.

Would also like to order one of the recoil pads for the MagPul stock...will those be available this year or sometime later?

Thanks

jay43
October 18, 2007, 08:53 PM
anyone have pics of the fully assembled gun

iamkris
October 18, 2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.longrangesupply.com/images/bohica/leftside.jpg

http://bohicaarms.com/cmsimages/Picture_9.jpg

jay43
October 18, 2007, 10:11 PM
nice rig

Flyboy73
October 19, 2007, 01:37 AM
I actually saw the Jimmy plug in the Brownells catalog last night, when i was looking at their 50 cal cleaning kit.

Was going to post about it, but you allready beat me to it.

Will the plug clear the bolt?

Probally will order one, when i order my 50 bmg cleaning kit. C&R discounts are great.

Brion

katonk
October 20, 2007, 02:39 PM
Will the plug clear the bolt?

Yes Flyboy, the plug clears the bolt perfectly..the foam "gasket" is a little cheesey but I was thinking of replacing it with a firmer type of material.

anymanusa
October 21, 2007, 06:35 AM
Hey, there is still one thing that I don't understand about this set up...

We are using the stock buffer and spring, correct?... well what keeps the bolt back when loading another shell, and the spring is pushing against the bolt...?

tia

--nevermind, we don't use the spring... correct?

madmike
October 21, 2007, 09:31 AM
There is no need for the buffer and spring, as this is not a semi.

hubel458
October 22, 2007, 11:56 AM
Mike- Just checking this thread.Seems to
be a nice looking deal for the money........for us
who figure 50s are too small...... would they sell just
actions for us nuts to put .700 barrels on, for my 700HE
wildcat. Some around the net would be interested.Ed

madmike
October 22, 2007, 01:09 PM
hubel458 Mike- Just checking this thread.Seems to
be a nice looking deal for the money........for us
who figure 50s are too small...... would they sell just
actions for us nuts to put .700 barrels on, for my 700HE
wildcat. Some around the net would be interested.Ed

"Because no matter how you rationalize it, .50 BMG is for women and pansies.";):neener::D

anymanusa
October 23, 2007, 12:02 AM
so what are we doing about high performance triggers. I want to have a nice trigger on my fifty, but I haven't seen any posts where anyone is successful without modification yet?

I know the DPMS trigger will work, but I want a nice trigger. What will work without modification and provide a good trigger feel and release?

thanks.

Taurus44
October 23, 2007, 08:42 AM
I have a Jard 3# adjustable with a Wolf extra power hammer spring ready to try... But I won't have my upper until the middle of November. :(

katonk
October 24, 2007, 02:10 AM
I had a RRA National Match trigger in my lower but re-installed the stock DPMS set-up with the extra power springs until I am comfortable with positive ignition and zeroing in this puppy..:)

iamkris
November 1, 2007, 12:10 PM
Hey guys

What kind of mounts are you using to gain the extra MOA for truly long range shooting? I'm under the impression that the picatinny rail on this thing is "flat". I asked this question in a new thread here http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=313366&highlight=bohica

Thanks

I need to shoot a note to Chris also.

50 Shooter
November 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
Chris posted over on arfcom that he'll have some new rails out with added MOA after the first of the year.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=221175&page=14#bottom

kaizer
November 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
Well, I just ordered mine. Was thinking about getting an LAR, but the bohica would cost me less and I think I could load it faster so here we go. Could anybody tell me the best place to order ammo from?

iamkris
November 1, 2007, 04:28 PM
50shooter

Thanks for the timely info. Looks like great minds think alike...given that he just posted yesterday.

I sent him an email earlier today about this. Any indication (hard to tell from his response) if we'll be able to swap the new rail on the older uppers?

Thanks.

50 Shooter
November 1, 2007, 05:18 PM
If it's like other aftermarket rails all you'll have to do is remove the old one by unscrewing it and then reinstalling the new one. As I haven't seen the top of the receiver on the BOHICA I'm not sure how the stock rail attaches.

Kaizer,
Finding surplus right now is next to impossible, you can find reman'd ammo from places like Aim Surplus, Pat's Reloading and the Ammunition Store. HSM, TTI Armory, Barrett, Graf n Son's, Ammoman, Watson's Weapons to name a few all sell different types of ammo.

Bohica_arms
November 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
Hi Guys,

Long Time no Post!

For Everybody else on the wait list - Deliveries for the FAR50 MKII will begin mid-end of November. There have been a number of improvements made, including but not limited to:

Investment cast Receiver w/ improved extraction camming
Smaller bolt tube (eliminates buffer binding issue)
Heavier extractor
More effective muzzle brake (will be able to be installed on first edition also)
Steel Pic Rail
Steel free float system (was aluminum)
Improved bi-pod
Stronger bolt handle

Accessories available after Jan 1

Pic Rail w/ swapable MOA inserts
Adjustable Bi-pod legs
Magpul PRS pad
A2 recoil pad

Thanks again to everybody that has given input toward these improvements!

Chris Rosequist
Bohica Arms Corp.

iamkris
November 3, 2007, 12:00 AM
Cool, thanks Chris.

Aside to others looking into this product -- I know Chris is a busy guy with his business and product launch. That said, he has always taken the time to respond to my questions.

When I asked to be placed on the "MOA insert rail" list, he didn't bat and eye and let me know immediately when that was going to be available (e.g., January) and that I was on the list.

Thanks.

anymanusa
November 3, 2007, 12:17 AM
thanks Chris, I am very happy to hear this. I've got my lower 100% ready for this upper, except for the trigger hammer grinding.

Looking forward to it.:)

kaizer
November 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
I can't wait for a range report, has anybody shot their upper yet?

50 Shooter
November 5, 2007, 12:13 PM
Scroll back a couple pages, someone posted the link from Don at Long Range Supply.

kaizer
November 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
I read that a while ago, just hoping one of the outstanding members over here had a report by now.

hksw
November 5, 2007, 11:12 PM
Man, I WAS going to buy another .22 lr target bolt gun but now I'm thinking Bohica (after confirmation from Chris that the 36" bbl can be had without flutes, now with the above improvements).

katonk
November 9, 2007, 01:17 AM
Here's a guy with results at a 100 & 300 yards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwB20IOjbYs

(might have to copy and paste the link)

anymanusa
November 9, 2007, 03:22 AM
to bad he's got a 36" barrel. I ordered the 24". I'll be results will be similar though.

Flyboy73
November 28, 2007, 12:57 AM
Chris,

Hows it going for end of November shipment? Bet your pretty busy getting them all ready. Thanks

Waiting patiantly

Brion

anymanusa
December 7, 2007, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I was waiting for that end of Nov. shipment. Am I still on the list? I've got my lower set up.

thanks

iamkris
December 7, 2007, 11:06 AM
I got a note from Chris that said he was bumping shipment by a month or so. Not sure if this meant delaying the Nov shipment in order to incorporate some user feedback from the first shipments.

anymanusa
December 7, 2007, 11:25 AM
thanks

Flyboy73
December 7, 2007, 08:03 PM
I dropped him a email a couple of weeks ago and not heard back. I was just wondering if he was shipping soon. Want to make sure i have the money ready, just in case something else new catches my eye in the mean. No hurry on my part, just would like to know when about i need to have the money ready.

Brion

SilentArmy
December 7, 2007, 08:29 PM
I placed my order a week ago and Mine (30") will not ship till March! I guess business is REALLY good lately! The Packages that Long Range Supply sells with the nightforce Scopes are amazing price!! I may have to go that route!
It basically boils down to a 900 dollar upper and 400 dollars off the scope!

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
man, if that guy can keep up with the orders, he's gonna be rolling in dough

Cheeseybacon
December 12, 2007, 06:31 PM
Whats the advantage of the "Match" chamber? And will it likely matter at all with surplus ammo?

trueblue1776
December 12, 2007, 06:56 PM
Whats the advantage of the "Match" chamber? And will it likely matter at all with surplus ammo?

Match chambers don't like surplus ammo, it can work but it will probably piss you off a lot.

Cheeseybacon
December 12, 2007, 08:55 PM
Match chambers don't like surplus ammo, it can work but it will probably piss you off a lot.

Good to know. Thanks.

Flyboy73
January 2, 2008, 12:59 AM
Anyone heard if the orders are going to be shipping soon?

Brion

biscuitninja
January 2, 2008, 02:00 AM
Wow, MUCH cheaper than my Barrett Model 99 (bought 4 years ago).
I have a 32" barrell though. Good luck with the new purchases.
-bix

mpftech
January 11, 2008, 05:32 PM
I just got an email from Chris that my (2) uppers will be ready for shipment next week......YAHOO!

iamkris
January 11, 2008, 05:43 PM
Chris just called me...my name came up! The uppers are being shiiped with a lot of product improvements...lots of steel instead of aluminum, investment castings vs. laser cut sheet steel, better muzzle brake, etc.

I should have it in 10 days. I'll post results after I get to shoot it.

He says business is VERY good.

Bohica_arms
January 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
Flyboy,

Yours will be ready next week too. Give me a call at the shop so I can shake some cash loose...................:-)

Chris Rosequist
BOHICA Arms Corp
(763) 441-2151

Zundfolge
January 11, 2008, 06:32 PM
I don't mean to derail the discussion here, but is Bohica Arms the same company as Bohica Tool which was building some real cool looking .50 Beowulf pistol/SBR uppers with a tank brake? (Bohica Tool's site seems to have gone down and been replaced by a redirect page)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/kjhof/bohica50pistol.jpg

Bohica_arms
January 11, 2008, 11:23 PM
Zundfolge,

Nope not us - There was another BOHICA out of Colorado sometime ago. I get ATF trace requests for them once in a while.

Chris R
BOHICA Arms Corp

Flyboy73
January 12, 2008, 12:51 AM
Chris,

Glad to get the phone call tonight. Can't wait to get the upper. Its a late christmas present for me. :D

I am glad to hear about the improvments to the upper, More then happy to have waited a while longer to get the improvements in.

Will post some pics when it comes in.

Brion

anymanusa
January 12, 2008, 04:49 AM
uh, where's my phone call? I was on the list a while back. I hope my upper will be available soon.

iamkris
January 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
uh, where's my phone call?

I think he is filling orders that were placed last August right now (at least according to the arfcom thread on it). Chris said his waiting list is in the several hundred uppers long so I'm sure he is methodically working through it.

anymanusa
January 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
^^oh, I placed mine in September, so I guess that I'll be coming up soon enough maybe. Thanks.

Flyboy73
January 14, 2008, 08:15 PM
I placed my order the begining of August. So your name should be comming up soon.

Brion

Cannonball888
February 8, 2008, 02:18 PM
Has anyone received their FAR 50 recently?

Bohica_arms
February 9, 2008, 11:30 PM
Guys,

I really appreciate all the orders, feedback and support.

I want to help bring people up to speed regarding the MKII FAR50's

First off here are many of the improved features

- 1 Peice reciever with integrated extraction cam
- Upper has been modified to work with unmodded M-16 hammers
- Upper has been modified to eliminate problems caused by out of spec buffer tubes.
- Upper has been modified to eliminate all known fit problems w/ RRA & Stag lowers.
- Steel freefloat block
- Steel Picatinny rail (Standard)
- Steel support rail
- New muzzle brake design (10 ports)
- New Bipod locking design for positive lock up & down
- New bipod leg assembly with heavy duty cast steel feet.
- Heavier duty extractor & spring design
- Modified Bolt head design
- Chrome plated Bolt head
- Black Zinc plated bolt tube
- Low friction firing pin coating

New options include:

- Threaded Barrel nut for YHM Quadrail type handguards
- Injection molded MAGPUL PRS Heavy duty butt pads (Finally!)
- Injection molded ACE ARFX Heavy duty butt pads (Finally!)
- Injection molded ACE ARFX Cheek riser in matching color for forend.
- Injection molded USGI A2 Heavy duty butt pads (Finally!)
- BOHICA WEAR! - Hats & T-shirts & Polo's

New options coming soon:

- Quick Takedown reciever pins
- Steel MOA insertable Pic Rail
- Injection molded Check riser for USGI A2 Stock in matching colors
- Billet steel and Aluminum Lowers (FFL Required)
- Always looking for new options!!!!!

The transion to the MKII has been a much longer process than I had anticipated. It has taken a huge amount of time and money to re-design and produce all of the tooling, fixtures and machinery to get this into a larger scale production than I had ever intended.

We HOPE to have our production backlog (i.e. wait list) cleared up by the end of April - at wich point I will be adding a new trainee to the team. (with God's good graces, Britta Rosequist will be born April 30th)

I really appreciate the response that this forum has generated, Thanks to all of the paitent (and mostly paitent) customers out there!

Now the good news!!!!

SEMI AUTO.......................

- Yes it's true, We're throwing our hat into the ring with a Semi-Auto 50 BMG rifle as well. But in true BOHICA fashion we're doing it with a BANG!.

We will have a proto on display at the Tulsa Show in April and will begin taking orders there. Delivery will begin within 4-6 WEEKS of the Tulsa show!!!!

I don't want to turn this into a striptease so I will not post photos until after the Tulsa show. But I will give some basic specs (subject to possible change):

- CALIFORNIA LEGAL!!!!!!!:D
- Short stroke gas piston operation
- 28" Barrel
- One peice tactical style stock rather than a pistol grip
- Click wheel adjustable LOP & cheek weld
- Crisp 2 stage trigger
- Quick change barrels for easy caliber/ barrel length swaps
- Will be available in .50 BMG, .50 DTC, .416 Barett, .338 Lapua Mag & .300 Win Mag
- Estimated weight will be 28 lbs
- Integrated recoil reduction system
- Sloped Forend w/ 3 pic rails for accessories & Bipods
- Available in Black, Tan or Green

And the best part....................Priced under $4,000 :what::what:

Thanks again and as always I welcome your questions, ideas & comments.

Chris Rosequist
BOHICA Arms Corp

-C4-
February 9, 2008, 11:37 PM
You don't happen to be doing upgrades from MKI do you? Some of those features sound good....

Wes Janson
February 10, 2008, 12:34 AM
Quick question on the semi-auto: will the .50 BMG model use Barrett 10rd magazines?

madmike
February 10, 2008, 01:34 AM
Will be available in .50 BMG, .50 DTC, .416 Barett, .338 Lapua Mag & .300 Win Mag

I still say .510 DTC should be renamed ".499 Feinstein.":evil:

iamkris
March 4, 2008, 04:07 AM
Big news! Apparently the first batches of MkII's are shipping this week. Plus, one of the guys over at arfcom spent the day with him and snapped a bunch of pictures and made a demo video as well.

Enjoy. Ordered mine last Aug/Sept, paid for in January...maybe this month for me, then. New orders are reportedly on a 14 week cycle time.

Thread at arfcom
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=221175&page=38

Demo video (careful...rough language)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5403832518738856034

Pictures

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0278.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0164.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0169.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0186.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0201.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0202.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0205.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0212.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0214.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0215.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0217.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0222.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0223.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0230.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0232.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0233.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0238.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0246.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0251.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0255.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0258.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0260.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0262.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0265.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0274.JPG

http://www.clandkp.com/bohica/IMG_0290.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Bohica ar 50bmg uppers for under $1k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!