Kahr MK9 grip screw problem

PDA

Delobius
May 22, 2007, 03:23 PM
I have a Kahr MK9 and a few months ago, the grip screws worked themselves loose. No problem, I thought, and I went to screw them back in - but the screws would just spin and spin.

The screws looked a little dinged up, so I ordered new ones from Kahr. Still no joy - only one would go in. I tried putting the screws in the holes in the frame with the grips removed, and each screw would go all the way into its respective hole.

I guess that means that I need to modify the grips somehow - something must be getting in the way - but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Any suggestions other than attacking the grips with a file?

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr MK9 grip screw problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zundfolge
May 22, 2007, 03:45 PM
The grip screws are the same as 1911 grip screws (same size and thread) just a little shorter.

I'd run down to your local gun shop and pick up a set of stainless steel hex headed 1911 grip screws and try them (you'll need to grind a little off the length or they'll pin the magazine).

Put the grips on, tighten the screws down good and tight, then with some paint or nail polish, mark the threads that are sticking into the mag well so you know exactly where to grind them off at. Then use a bench grinder or dremel (or do it the hard way and grind them down with a file).

I'd mess with the screws before attacking the grips with a file.

EDIT
Once you get the grip screws where you like 'em, put a little loctite on them.

The Lone Haranguer
May 22, 2007, 07:52 PM
This sounds like the threads in the frame are stripped.

Glockman17366
May 22, 2007, 10:38 PM
Pull the grips off and see if the screws will thread in and tighten. If they do, the screws may be too short (that wouldn't explain why they loosened initially though).
A gun smith may be able to "chase" the threads if they aren't too badly stripped and clean them up.You can do this too, if you know what the thread is, and don't mind buying a tap.

Delobius
May 23, 2007, 09:19 AM
I tried putting the screws in the frame with the grips removed - they went in just fine.

I'll try getting some 1911 screws and grinding them off. Thanks for the ideas!

Glockman17366
May 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
Do you have the factory grips?

Just odd the screws Kahr sent wouldn't work...

Zundfolge
May 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
My guess is that the outer couple of threads are stripped, thats why you need a longer screw that gets all the way to the inner threads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr MK9 grip screw problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!