C&R Question

PDA

kungfuhippie
May 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
Yes it seems obvious, but-
I have been looking into getting my C&R license. I know the ATF can inspect your collection once a year (make sure you're recording correctly and not running a business, etc.) Do they call you in advance or just show up at your door? I know they have to give 24 hrs. notice and you can request the inspection to be at their office. I just wonder how the arangements are made.

If you enjoyed reading about "C&R Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Neo-Luddite
May 23, 2007, 01:54 PM
They will call you in advance. They will often just talk on the phone, ask you to come to their office or make an appointment with you--all at their option.

They really don't spend a lot of time chasing after type 3's from what I have heard. They've never contacted me except when I' ve called them with a question.

kungfuhippie
May 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
That's what I figured, I just want to know what I'm getting into before I make a contract with the feds.

SaxonPig
May 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
I do not know of any C&R holder who has ever actually been inspected. One guy had been licensed for 18 years without hearing from the ATF. I think they are pretty casual about C&R activities since it involves generally older guns and isn't commercial in nature.

One more thing. Your log can be destroyed when the license expires. That's why I always let mine expire and then reapply rather than renew. That way I don't have to maintain records longer than 3 years.

MartinBrody
May 23, 2007, 04:31 PM
You might want to check out the Curio & Relic Firearms Forum. I think some people over there have been inspected.

http://pub176.ezboard.com/bcurioandrelicfirearmsforum

If you enjoyed reading about "C&R Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!