Reloading the .30 Mauser (7.63x25)

PDA

KaiserBen
May 30, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm the proud new owner of a made in 1897 broomhandle Mauser, and just ordered some Prvi Partisan ammo and dies for the .30 Mauser cartridge. I know I will have to lube the cases, but now comes the hard part: loading data. Any suggestions on manuals that will have it listed? Especially with these powders: H110, W296, Bullseye, AA2, HS6, or AA9. Thanks in advance.

PS: Any tips/tricks from experienced reloaders would be most welcome, as this is only my second bottleneck cartridge.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading the .30 Mauser (7.63x25)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clark
May 30, 2007, 01:59 PM
The 30 Mauser is not the same as the 7.62x25mm Tokarev, but they are so close that the specification may overlap.

I say may, because it is not registered with SAAMI as a drawing with tolerances.

Starline sells brass for both, and they say:
7.62x25 vs 30 Mauser - These cases are very similar, except for the difference in length. The 7.62x25 is shorter than the 30 Mauser, due to higher operating pressures. If the 30 Mauser cases are fired at hotter 7.62x25 loads in the CZ-52, it will tear the neck off some cases.

* 30 Mauser O.A.L. = .980 to .985
* 7.62x25 O.A.L. = .959 to .962

But either one will fit in your gun.

There is a gun culture myth that the strength hierarchy is:
1) CZ52
2) Tokarev
3) C-96 Mauser broomhandle

This incorrect notion was based "what it was designed for" via the US army FSTC-CW-07-03-70, and is typical of the gun culture, but not how engineers think.
I knew that the CZ52 was egg shell thin on the bottom of the chamber and very weak.
I could prove that the Tokarev was stronger.
So I bought a broomhandle C96 to prove that it was stronger than CZ52s too.

I had a problem in that the barrel was a little shot out and the firing pin hole in the breechface was a little large.

I have shot experimental work up loads in the broomhandle near the threshold of where my various CZ52s blow up, but not beyond. I would like to go way beyond so there is no doubt. But the primers pierce and some gas bypasses the bullet. If I reline it, that is not a really controlled experiment then.

The hierarchy is probably:
1) Tokarev
2) Broom handle
3) CZ52

Or it may be:
1) Tokarev
2) CZ52 and broom handle

Or it may be:
1) Tokarev
2) CZ52
3) Broom handle

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The High Road, nor the staff of THR assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

What I do know per my experiments:
110 gr bullet Ramshot Enforcer [looks and smells like AA#9]:
11.3 gr primer pierces in broom handle
13.7 gr primer falls out of Starline brass in Tokarev

110 gr bullet AA#9 powder
8.5 gr new AA max load CZ52
11.7 gr old AA max load CZ52
13.7 barrel, slide, and extractor fail in CZ52
14.2 gr primer falls out of Starline brass in Tokarev
15.7 gr primer falls out of S&B brass in Tokarev

In abstraction, what I am saying is counter to what the load books say, but not in practical terms, now that AA has recanted their hot load for the CZ52 they published in 2000. All the current load books give essentially the lowest common denominator of pressure for broomhandles, CZ52s, and Tokarevs, when compared to original factory ammo for those pistols.

The load books may not be re written to say they were wrong about the CZ52 strength, but they have reduced the max CZ52 loads to below that of the wimpiest factory broomhandle load.

Sunray
May 30, 2007, 02:39 PM
My old Lyman book has limited data. Two bullet weights only. 85 grain jacketed and 83 grain cast. So does my Lyman Pistol and Revolver book. 84 grain cast only though. There's one load for an 85 grain RN on Handloads.com too.

PotatoJudge
May 30, 2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.g6csy.net/c96/ammo.html

Wouldn't happen to have any 7.62x25, 7.5x55 Swiss, or 357 Max brass you'd like to trade for some 7.63x25 would you?

KaiserBen, sent you a PM.

KaiserBen
May 30, 2007, 04:43 PM
Sorry PotatoJudge, the only x25 and 7.5 brass I have is berdan primed. If you're looking to sell some though, I'm interested.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading the .30 Mauser (7.63x25)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!