Converted a few folks on Saturday.

PDA

Cliff
June 22, 2003, 08:40 PM
The 10th Cavalry Gun Club of Baltimore held it's annual Juneteenth Invitational Range Day at the Associated Gun Clubs range outside of Baltimore. This is a annual event to introduce black folk,woman,etc,who have no experience to shooting for the first time. First half of the day is classroom going over proper & safe firearm handling,shooting,etc.speakers addressing RKBA issues,the law in regards to gun ownership,transporting,the home,The NRA,etc.
Then we do lunch,and each new shooter is paired up with a instructor,and we take them through their paces. I'm happy to say,we had some anti's in the crowd,but at the end of the day,at least three of them were singing a pro-gun tune after coming off of the range.
The speakers were Ken Blanchard,Blackmanwithagun.Chris Conte,Legislative Counsel,NRA,and Richard E. Gardiner,Co-Counsel in the firearms lawsuit filed against the District of Columbia.

http://www.fototime.com/{8772D63B-A583-46B9-A741-3E9C1F7168ED}/picture.JPG
http://www.fototime.com/{B40A01FA-B966-4AF9-B1FC-F80E4DB619EA}/picture.JPG
http://www.fototime.com/{2360D9D3-161E-446B-BB23-8545F1A7C099}/picture.JPG

Here's some pics from the classroom & range. Thats me standing with the young lady holding up the target. We had more then a few people sign up for a basic pistol class. A fun,busy,and rewarding day. Three people vocally stopped being anti-gun that day,and we got a lot of people thinking about RKBA issues also.The seed was planted.
But the best part was standing next to a first time shooter as a instructor,and seeing that big grin come over their face when they take the first shot .:D :D Need I say More?

http://www.fototime.com/{3AC92C1E-4C7B-418E-8EBB-B82D2EC68160}/picture.JPG
http://www.fototime.com/{B9F13F7A-A880-46BF-A8CD-D7F01AC566AB}/picture.JPG
http://www.fototime.com/{7B2137B6-47D7-42ED-B8B7-BEC7263A80FF}/picture.JPG

We have more pictures of the day at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/C-A-F-E
Click on Photos,then Juneteenth,check out the other albums while your there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Converted a few folks on Saturday." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
June 22, 2003, 08:45 PM
Happy Juneteenth!:)

Cliff, ya done good. Each one, teach one.

So, uh, Cliff, by your picture I see that your gun club has a weight pile.:uhoh:

Cliff
June 22, 2003, 08:58 PM
:D :D

Dot_mdb
June 22, 2003, 09:16 PM
Good!

Everytime we convert someone it is a great victory for our side.

Bill

Dave Markowitz
June 22, 2003, 09:47 PM
Well done!

I miss the AGC range. My dad belonged to Mariottsville Muzzleloaders when I was a kid and we lived in MD. It is by far the nicest range I've ever seen.

jdkelly
June 22, 2003, 10:13 PM
Or club held its second Woman On Target yesterday. We had 24 mostly nonshooting women that were given an hour class and then introduced to bolt action rimfire, centerfire revolver (38 spl and 44 mag) and 12 ga shotgun. After lunch we introduced them to the M1 carbine, M1 rifle, and 03 Springfield. But the highlight of the afternoon was letting them shoot two fully automatics, an MP5 and an M16. You can't imagine the smiles on new shooters when she empties her first magazine.

The ladies are invited back the next day to finish the NRA pistol and Home Firearms Saftey courses, at no cost to them. When finished they can apply for an FID card or a pistol permit (CCW) at there local police station. That can't hurt.

jdkelly

Standing Wolf
June 22, 2003, 10:34 PM
Well done!

4v50 Gary
June 22, 2003, 10:51 PM
Wow! Not only did you convert some peepul, you brought the heavy artillery. Blackmanwithagun. Outstanding! Conte & Gardiner. Heavy hitting! Good work.

Blain
June 22, 2003, 11:14 PM
Cool event! Wish I had more like those around here.

http://www.fototime.com/{B40A01FA-B966-4AF9-B1FC-F80E4DB619EA}/picture.JPG

:D

Dave R
June 22, 2003, 11:25 PM
Outstanding program, Cliff!

Travis McGee
June 23, 2003, 12:14 AM
Way to go Cliff!! You da man!!!

It takes guts to do this in the People's Republic of Maryland!

From another old Baltimre Boy.

Atticus
June 23, 2003, 12:28 AM
Awesome. A few anti's at a time and before ya know it we won't be sweating out elections.

chetrogers
June 23, 2003, 12:36 AM
Good job..Maybe i should take a course like that or something..

agony
June 23, 2003, 01:04 AM
Hey Cliff,
I knew I liked you for a reason! (Besides your good taste in music). :D

There's no better feeling than converting non-shooters into shooting enthuiasts. Good job sir!

foghornl
June 23, 2003, 12:38 PM
Well Done, Cliff. Any time we can convert anyone to "shooters" it is a good thing.

In that one picture of the lady shooting the SA revo, she is cheating....leaning so far forward she took 2 yards of the range.

:D :D :D :D

Hey, whatever stance and hold puts you on target............:evil:
Would I be willing to stand 7 yds away & hold the target to test her stance & hold? I don't think so.

fish2xs
June 23, 2003, 12:59 PM
why did the anti's show up in the first place?

were they at least curious?

I brought an anti to my gun club w/ some other people from work as a 'stress relief' exercise. She was open minded enough to say "if I am going to be an anti, I should at least learn about the pro side".

she wants to go shooting again...

bogie
June 23, 2003, 01:05 PM
Oh sheesh! I've got a twin!

Cliff
June 23, 2003, 01:40 PM
foghornl,
Your right,in fact she was one of the staunch anti's. She came because her brother is a shooter. After she took the first shot and saw that the firearm was not going to bite her,she relaxed and strightened up.

fish2xs,
A lot of people had heard about the event just the day before on a radio program. Two of the anti's were related to shooters like the woman foghornl mentioned. And I'm sure a lot of folks were just curious also. A lot of people called themselves anti-gun,but only because of what they have seen on TV,heard from the liberal media,etc. I think we debunked a lot of myths yesterday with cold,hard facts. We started with about 35 people and before we broke for lunch,we counted 55 total in all. Not counting instructors,speakers,photographers,general help,etc. After coming off the range,I firmly believe a lot of people were hooked.

bogie,
And who would that be?:)

bogie
June 23, 2003, 01:42 PM
The guy with the suspenders. I'm SERIOUS. It was like looking at myself (on a good grooming day...).

Cliff
June 23, 2003, 01:49 PM
Then you sir are in good company.

Gunfyter
June 23, 2003, 02:26 PM
If you need volunteers to help in the future, I would be honored to help.

only1asterisk
June 24, 2003, 05:09 AM
Cliff,
Count me in too, you're not too far away. Converting anti's is my favorite hobby. I'll help any way I can.

David

Cliff
June 24, 2003, 07:04 AM
Gunfyter, only1asterisk,
Thanks for the offer, I believe CAFE' will be doing the same type of event around late summer/early fall. I have your email addresses,and will keep you posted.

griz
June 24, 2003, 07:25 AM
Good job Cliff. I and a all RKBA people thank you.

Smoke
June 24, 2003, 12:46 PM
Good work people!

...I had no idea Juneteenth was observed in Baltimore.

I thought it was just a Texas thang.

Cliff
June 24, 2003, 09:03 PM
Pretty much observed all over the country.Gunfyter, only1asterisk,and anyone else interested. Go to our website,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/C-A-F-E

Take a look around,if it interests you,by all means join up,and you'll be up on what we're doing.:)

El Tejon
June 24, 2003, 09:36 PM
Smoke, yes, Juneteenth originated in Tejas, but Jim Crow and industrialization spread it throughout the North.

Happy Juneteenth, THR! Celebrate the end of the Great Evil and work to end the slavery of the Nanny State!

Gunfyter
June 25, 2003, 09:15 AM
Cliff, I want to help if at all possible. Going to the link that you provided just gets me into a bunch of Yahoo mumbo jumbo. I'd like to help, not be subjected to a barrage of Yahoo nonsense. Give me the link to answer the questions about myself and why I want to help and I'll be happy to furnish the information.

Cliff
June 25, 2003, 11:16 AM
Gunfyter,
Thats fine not wanting to go to Yahoo. You don't have to give any reasons as to why you want to help. I'm glad & thankful you offered. I figured that signing on as a member of the site would help keep you abreast of what we're doing. The fact that your a shooter,a member of this fine forum, and that you kindly offered to help whenever we have another event is fine with me. I'll keep you notified as to when we do this again.

Gunfyter
June 25, 2003, 11:34 AM
Fair enough. I will bend over backwards, do whatever I can to promote the 2nd Amendment, right of personal protection and THE DISPELING OF ANTI-GUN LIES that I can. Teaching people to shoot safely and all of the fun that can be had is what it's all about. In my case, its a 48 year love affair. You need me, let me know. If at all possible, I'll be there.

general
June 25, 2003, 11:54 AM
Way to go Cliff! I/ We appreciate your effort. Wish more would do the same. I have 2 more on my list to take to the range in July. Again.... great work!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Converted a few folks on Saturday." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!