"You Talkin' To Me?"

PDA

beaucoup ammo
May 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
"Taxi Driver" with D'Nero is on AMC..about a half hour into it right now.Question..is the rig he fixes with the gun up his sleeve feasible?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about ""You Talkin' To Me?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Viking
May 30, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think I saw something similar to it marketed a few years back. Don't remember much about it. Try to make one from scratch? :D

beaucoup ammo
May 30, 2007, 03:44 PM
Exactly. In the movie he uses the metal "track" from a dress drawer and some spring configuration. Of the weapons he purchased from the "salesman", Travis chooses a Colt .25 SA (for $125) for that purpose over his other bargains: .44 Mag ($350), .38 Snub Nose ($250) and a 380 Walther ($150!)

Forgot what a great Gun Flick this is. Anyway, it might work. Happy ending as he's viewed as a hero for getting rid of scum bags!

RavenVT100
May 30, 2007, 03:49 PM
It may have been a happy ending but let's not forget that Travis Bickle's character is partly responsible for the Brady Campaign's existence.

Bickle is a true nutcase in the film and the fact that he ended up being a "good guy" in the end was almost up to luck on his part as much as anything.

HMMurdock
May 31, 2007, 01:39 AM
True about the Brady Campaign, but no one can deny this movie provides an excellent insight into an American subculture. And we can't blame the movie for the Brady Campaign, we can blame the Brady Campaign for misconstruing the film's purpose.

Easily the best movie of all time, in my opinion.

About the arm rig, I dont see how it wouldn't accidentally set off. That'd suck when youre caught speeding and you go to hand the officer your license and registration... :what:

bogie
May 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
IIRC, Bickle was also a stereotypical post traumatic stress case... Plus possibly a bit on the aspie side, vis a vis the lack of social skills, etc.

98C5
May 31, 2007, 02:07 PM
Was that 44 a S&W Model 29?

LOL, everytime I hear the salesman say "$350 for the 44" I want to cry.

Big Calhoun
May 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
There's an old (80's, ascii formatted, 'TXT' file) file that floats around from time to time with what has been reported to be a workable sleeve rig. It's not Jolly Rogers Cookbook, but something along those lines. I'd have to dig through from old Commodore stuff to remember the name of it. But I have come across it on the net from time to time.

yhtomit
May 31, 2007, 02:27 PM
Funny thing is, I was reluctant to watch this movie, because I'd had the impression that it had "a really disturbing ending." The ending was actually (I thought) a bit of an upper. Travis B.s character is (let's be honest) "flawed" to be charitable, but he's a motivated vigilante with something like chivalrous aims, not the out-and-out-psycho that I'd been led to expect.

timothy

Joe Demko
May 31, 2007, 02:29 PM
No; he's pretty much just a psycho who happens to go off on some folks who most of society would agree needed killing.

Deanimator
May 31, 2007, 03:29 PM
I went to school at a small all male college in rural Missouri. There was a girl's college on the other side of town with which we had academic and social agreements. We took turns providing Friday night movies. We'd get movies like "Dirty Harry", "Apocalypse Now" and the like. The girl's school would get chick flicks.

One Friday, the girls somehow managed to schedule "Taxi Driver", apparently knowing nothing about the movie. My best friend (who'd never seen it) and I had a few beers and went to the movie. He was pretty bored with it, but I told him, "Wait, it's gets better!"

When the action started, there was a collective gasp of horror from the girls, while we laughed ourselves sick at the over the top carnage, cheering DeNiro's character on in his progressively more extreme acts of mayhem. :D

I don't think I enjoyed such an orgy of cartoonish violence until, in the '80s, I saw that Steven Seagall movie where he chases down his crackhead, homocidal childhood pal.

Patriot-Brewer
May 31, 2007, 03:49 PM
How about the dual full-size Rugers sliding out of Antonio Banderas' sleeves in Desperado.:rolleyes::banghead:

If you pause your DVD as they slide out, you'll see that they chopped the grips almost completely off to get it to work.

HKUSP45C
May 31, 2007, 07:07 PM
How about the dual full-size Rugers sliding out of Antonio Banderas' sleeves in Desperado.

If you pause your DVD as they slide out, you'll see that they chopped the grips almost completely off to get it to work.

While I understand you brought that up because it happens to be on topic, it's really one of the smallest logistical problems, firearms related, Tarentino overcomes through "suspension of disbelief" I can think of. He used the twin cylinder revolver cod-piece in two flicks, for instance. There are enough to fill the charachter limit of this post, probably.

Back to the thread.
I saw Taxi Driver a loooong time ago. The rig certainly seems to be crude but clever. I think with some time and tools a safe, servicable, reliable platform could be created. Possibly in a manstopper caliber, maybe an AMT Backup in .45 (OK there goes the "reliable" part) on a tracked but locked spring loaded sled. With a simple but deliberate "motion" to release it.

Real question is: Does it break any laws or require regulation, possibly as an AOW?

Hmm, I think I'll call an engineer I know and see if he can come up with something more elegant than TD's offering.

Notch
May 31, 2007, 08:32 PM
I saw something not too long ago in which someone had a holster that strapped to the forearm... No springs or other dohickeys, just a holster, anyone seen one of these before?

Shear_stress
May 31, 2007, 08:43 PM
LOL, everytime I hear the salesman say "$350 for the 44" I want to cry.

Yo, that was 1976. More than $1200 in today's dollars. Bickle was paying scalper's pricesfor those, but, then again, he wasn't exactly going through legal channels.

mustanger98
May 31, 2007, 10:08 PM
The Colt's .25auto on the spring loaded thingamajig... Robert Conrad (Jim West) had one too on the old Wild Wild West series, but his IIRC was a two-shot derringer. BTW, I haven't watched Taxi Driver yet.

scbair
June 1, 2007, 07:49 AM
Wrist holsters for .25s and derringers were once manufactured and sold (presumable yo well-dressed riverboat gamblers with full-cut sleeves and short-range aspirations. :confused:

I saw a rig somewhere on the Internet a couple of years ago that made use of a sliding track-type arrangement, spring-loaded, with a lock/firing lever activated by pressing the elbow against the torso. It held a Remington-style double-barrel derringer. Cute, but not practical.

I read a Louis L'Amour Western years ago (don't recall the title; I think I read 'em all :D) that involved a baddie who used a sleeve gun. As best I recall, the rig entailed a derringer, suspended by a cord. The cord was described as passing up the sleeve, across the back (under the wearer's coat) and down the opposite sleeve, looped around a finger of the opposite hand. The user just curled that finger, and the derringer would slide down into the firing hand. Letting the loop slip off the finger would allow free deployment of the derringer.

Sounded simple, but I never actually tried it.:what:

Actually, the wrist holster, using a modern "mini" (Seecamp or NAA Guardian, for instance) may be of some use for surreptitious access, if your clothing style permits. Wearing short sleeves most days, I doubt I'll ever use one.

beaucoup ammo
June 1, 2007, 08:11 AM
Winter wear for sure. Many thanks HKUSP45C and all. I'm going to Hill Country Shooting Sports this morning and talk to a mechanical type who shoots there. Seems like it could be done...the "legal" aspect certainly raises a question!

mustanger98
June 1, 2007, 11:08 PM
I read a Louis L'Amour Western years ago (don't recall the title; I think I read 'em all ) that involved a baddie who used a sleeve gun. As best I recall, the rig entailed a derringer, suspended by a cord. The cord was described as passing up the sleeve, across the back (under the wearer's coat) and down the opposite sleeve, looped around a finger of the opposite hand. The user just curled that finger, and the derringer would slide down into the firing hand. Letting the loop slip off the finger would allow free deployment of the derringer.

I don't remember the description, but IIRC, I think the novel was "Passin' Through". Mr. Passin' shot the badguy based on someone telling him how he held his gunhand right before deploying the derringer.

Sage of Seattle
June 2, 2007, 03:54 PM
"You Talkin' To Me?"

Well, I don't see anybody else here!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that Harry Harrison wrote a series called Deathworld I believe wherein all of the people carried their pistols on a spring-type arm track. His storyline said that the planet's flora and fauna were so deadly that for humans to survive, they had to have a weapon essentially in their hand at all times. No safeties, no trigger guards, electronic activation into your hand. Sweet setup. I don't remember for sure but I don't believe any of them were concelaed however.

Darn. Better head out to the library again and re-read them.

G36-UK
June 2, 2007, 06:41 PM
Taxi Driver inspired a similar weapon in Alien Resurrection. Christie, one of the Betty's crew, uses a pair of disposable pistols that were modified to fit on what looked like a hydraulic version of the wrist-track.

If you enjoyed reading about ""You Talkin' To Me?"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!