Fred Thompson quits Law and Order

PDA

Gaiudo
May 31, 2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276634,00.html

Looks like Fred is clearing the runway for takeoff.

WASHINGTON Actor Fred Thompson is giving up his role as a prosecutor on the TV series "Law & Order," perhaps for a run at the White House.

The show's creator and executive producer Dick Wolf said Thompson asked for his release Wednesday. Wolf said the former Tennessee senator told him he "has not made a firm decision about his political future," but the show's production schedule would create constraints.

Thompson has yet to announce he's seeking the Republican presidential nomination, but GOP officials with knowledge of his plans say he'll make his first formal campaign move soon. He's expected to establish an exploratory committee in the coming days, a move that would allow Thompson to hire a staff and begin fundraising.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fred Thompson quits Law and Order" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ravnew
May 31, 2007, 12:18 PM
Get ready, here he comes. Fred/Ron for 08

Stoney
May 31, 2007, 12:50 PM
The BBC has just posted an article that Fred is running. :)

pcosmar
May 31, 2007, 12:53 PM
Dude, Don't give up your day job.

Man With A Gun
May 31, 2007, 02:28 PM
He LOOKS the part and TALKS a good game but is LIGHT on doing things according to his track record in the Senate.

Be that as it may, can he take over TODAY? Just get that little cowboy out of there as fast as possible. :D

NORTEXED
May 31, 2007, 02:53 PM
By all means, get the cowboy out and send in another Peanut farmer???

Eagle103
May 31, 2007, 02:58 PM
I like him but I just don't see a 65 year old guy with incurable cancer getting elected.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
May 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
Ron Paul!!

Colt
May 31, 2007, 04:02 PM
Ron Paul!!

Or as the majority of the very few people who have ever heard his name know him: "That kook who blames the US for 9/11"

Paul can't even win a poll here on THR, whose population is comprised of a much higher percentage of likely Paul supporters than the general voting public.

Where do I send my check, Fred?!

glockman19
May 31, 2007, 04:47 PM
Fred filed papers to form an exploritory campaign organization. The first step. I expect he'll announce shortly.

Marshall
May 31, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yep, I heard the news this morning. I'm not surprised. I'm happy to see him running, he is running. As things stand today, he'll very likely get my vote.

tegemu
May 31, 2007, 05:00 PM
Run Fred Run !!!!

ravnew
May 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
As of now, Fred will get my support as well.

PressCheck
May 31, 2007, 06:08 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/dppnerd/ftbumper2iv7.png

He's got my money, and time.

Jamie C.
May 31, 2007, 06:13 PM
I get the feeling that if Fred really wants the job of POTUS, he'll get it. He seems like a very smart fellow, with good knowledge and experience of how best to get where he wants to go.

This may prove to be good or bad. Only time will tell.

J.C.

longhorngunman
May 31, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah!:D The Fred is about to land. He'll get a lot of my time and money too.

Sam Adams
May 31, 2007, 07:23 PM
If the primary or general was today, I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for Fred. He's pro-gun, anti-tax, anti-illegal immigration and for winning the war we're in. What more can you ask for in a candidate who ACTUALLY HAS A CHANCE TO WIN NEXT NOVEMBER?

Well, I can ask for one thing: name J.C. Watts as your Veep. He's got solid, solid conservative credentials, but is a young and vibrant offset to Fred's more grandfatherly look and the fact of his lymphoma (which is thankfully the least virulent type and in remission). He's also Black, which will eliminate the Dems normal fearmongering on race relations, and they'll maybe even get 20% or 25% of the Black vote. If that happens, no Dem can possibly win.

I agree with Colt that most people who've only recently heard of Ron Paul think that he's a kook because of his 9/11 statement. IF, IF, IF he managed to get the nomination, he'd lose worse than Goldwater in '64.

Marshall
May 31, 2007, 08:21 PM
Well, I can ask for one thing: name J.C. Watts as your Veep. He's got solid, solid conservative credentials

And he can run the Wishbone in Washington DC! :D

JC's a good man!!

RockyMtnTactical
May 31, 2007, 09:43 PM
I like Fred. :)

obxned
May 31, 2007, 11:01 PM
In this case, our loss is our gain!

publius
May 31, 2007, 11:36 PM
Paul can't even win a poll here on THR, whose population is comprised of a much higher percentage of likely Paul supporters than the general voting public.

Ahem (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=278126).

Looks to me like he has 66%, and the closest follower has about 7%.

Gaiudo
June 1, 2007, 12:31 AM
Ahem...

Get a real poll... like one with Thompson in it. If you read through the posts, TONS of people are writing in FT. Sorry, that poll is outdated and meaningless.

Jamie C.
June 1, 2007, 03:31 AM
Y'know, I get the feeling that in 2009, Ron Paul supporters are still gonna be saying he won the election...

Now where have I heard anything like that before? Hmm.... :rolleyes:

The fact is, even here, Ron Paul usually looses by about a third. And that's against somebody that hasn't even declared at the time. :scrutiny:

Sorry, but nothing says "nutcase" more than a denial of reality....

J.C.

Avenger29
June 1, 2007, 04:13 AM
Well, I can ask for one thing: name J.C. Watts as your Veep. He's got solid, solid conservative credentials

The Dems will cry race, because a conservative Black ain't black- he is an Uncle Tom.

I'm sorry, Ron Paul literally does not have a snowball's chance in hell if winning. I'm not going to say when pigs fly, 'cause, given a big enough catapult, I can make a pig fly.

Unless, of course, the whole country was to actually treat the Presidential election seriously instead of the popularity contest it is now. Then, we might have some hope.

Fred Thompson might have a chance of at least gaining the Republican nomination. And face it, it will either be a Republican or a Democrat in the White house after GWB. Not that there is much difference between the current candidates of either party.

BOHICA. I predict another Klinton in the White House.

CypherNinja
June 1, 2007, 04:53 AM
Ron Paul may not have much of a chance of winning, but here's to hoping he asks plenty of REEAALLY uncomfortable questions in the upcoming debates.:evil:

publius
June 1, 2007, 08:04 AM
Get a real poll... like one with Thompson in it. If you read through the posts, TONS of people are writing in FT. Sorry, that poll is outdated and meaningless.

You said he couldn't win a poll here. That one is two weeks old. I didn't see a newer one, and your post said nothing about counting up positive posts, just that Dr. Paul could not win a poll here. That's obviously wrong, so you are moving the goal line.

Start a fresh one if you like, but I think 66% to 7% is a pretty decent showing for Dr. Paul.

publius
June 1, 2007, 08:06 AM
And BTW, Thompson is the only Republican besides Paul who has any chance at all of getting my vote in the general election. I am considering him. If he is nominated, it will be a tough decision for me whether I vote for him or write in Paul.

pcosmar
June 1, 2007, 09:38 AM
Some thoughts,
Will Fred park the limo again and climb into a red pickup truck?
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070520/COLUMNIST0105/705200377/1007/OPINION
Read and be amused, or concerned.

71Commander
June 1, 2007, 12:01 PM
like him but I just don't see a 65 year old guy with incurable cancer getting elected.

Er!!....He's in remission, but you probably knew that and decided it wasn't worth including in your post.

cbsbyte
June 1, 2007, 12:05 PM
The more I read about Fred the less I like him. Fred is just another phony politician who want the grand prize, and will say anything to get elected. He seems to be just another version of W Bush except he is; taller, balder, and probably a little more elegant when speaking. I fear a lot of people, especially from the South will be pulled in by his southern Good old boy act, and not see the man for what he is, a high price conniving lawyer.

Marshall
June 1, 2007, 12:49 PM
I fear a lot of people, especially from the South will be pulled in by his southern Good old boy act, and not see the man for what he is, a high price conniving lawyer.

It's starting to be entertaining watching RP supporters and how they act as they see more support for FT than RP take place, day by day. Unfortunately, the comments are revealing.

cbsbyte
June 1, 2007, 12:52 PM
It's starting to be entertaining watching RP supporters and how they act as they see more support for FT than RP take place, day by day. Unfortunately, the comments are revealing.

Might be true for some but I don't support RP or any candidate. Basically I have written off democracy in Amerika as a bad joke.

Marshall
June 1, 2007, 01:20 PM
Might be true for some but I don't support RP or any candidate. Basically I have written off democracy in Amerika as a bad joke.

OK.

I guess we shouldn't expect to hear any more from you regarding any of the political candidates?

cbsbyte
June 1, 2007, 01:23 PM
Only to point out their obvious flaws to people.

Art Eatman
June 1, 2007, 01:27 PM
We've done Fred Thompson and his views.

The primaries are in 2008. This is 2007.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Fred Thompson quits Law and Order" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!