Aiming a gun...Pistol,rifle,ect.

PDA

chetrogers
June 23, 2003, 12:56 AM
Is there a site on the net or a picture that will show what it should look like looking through gun sights .As stupid as it sound i mite be doing it wrong..Everything i have learned with the exception of some basic gun safety i have taught myself.I hope this makes sense..it could be at 10 yards or 300 yards.thanks for any info

If you enjoyed reading about "Aiming a gun...Pistol,rifle,ect." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
natedog
June 23, 2003, 02:44 AM
Most sights consist of some sort of post at the muzzle end, and a kind of aperature at the breech end. You shoulder your weapon (with long guns), and look through the rear sight and concentrate on the front sight, the top of which should be placed at the bottom of your target.

SDC
June 23, 2003, 08:15 AM
There are two basic types of "holds" for most open sights; for blade and post-type sights, you want to have the front and rear sights at the same heights, with the front sight centered in the notch of the rear sight; maintaining that alignment, you then want to move the whole pistol so that your intended point of impact is sitting right on top of the front sight. This is usually called a "center" hold, but some bullseye shooters prefer to set their sights up so that the dark outer rings of the bullseye target sit on the front sight like a golf ball on a tee; this is a "6 o'clock hold". Some rifles have peep-type sights, which use your eye's ability to find the center of a small hole used as the rear sight; looking through that hole, you look at the front sight blade/post, then place the top of that post on your intended point of impact. Most shotguns use bead-type "aiming devices" (you're not really supposed to "aim" a shotgun, you point it), where there isn't a rear sight, but you have a bead on the muzzle that you're supposed to cover your target with while you're firing. Because shotguns only have that single point of "aim", your EYE is actually the rear sight on a shotgun, and you have to make sure you mount the shotgun the same way each time you bring it up to fire; this is what keeps your sight picture the same each time.

TarpleyG
June 23, 2003, 08:57 AM
Something like this, although I have seen better ones. They call this "pumpkin on a post" but I prefer to "split" the black with my sight picture. Essentially, just move it up to the middle of the ring.

http://www.armedfemalesofamerica.com/img/AFA%20PIX/firearm_pics/sigth_alignment.gif

I also found this on the web. Take a look.

http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/pa4h/shooting/APControl.pdf

GT

M67
June 23, 2003, 09:20 AM
This is a good place to start:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

I particularly recommend that you take a look at the "Army Marksmanship Training Guide" link a third of the way down this page, it has a chapter on sight alignment, but read the rest of it too.

robear
June 23, 2003, 01:12 PM
chet-

Look here... TONS of info.. http://www.codyexpress.com/Army%20Pistol%20Manual/army_pistol_manual.htm

Chapter 2 will give you more than you ever knew you wanted..

I hope this helps..

-R

robear
June 23, 2003, 01:18 PM
M67-

I guess I should have read your ENTIRE post before I answered..
Sometimes i'm just too quick on that ol' reply button..

I have always thought that particular chapter to be one of the most descriptive I had ever read... helped me..

R

Steve Smith
June 23, 2003, 01:30 PM
Isn't it odd that the sights are misaligned on that picture? That sight picture would throw a shot to the right.

spacemanspiff
June 23, 2003, 02:07 PM
dont worry chet, i recently was properly instructed on sight pictures myself. always wondered why my shots went high. :D

chetrogers
June 23, 2003, 06:26 PM
My shots are all over the place..i really didnt aim this way i cant wait till friday to go shooting..to test it out :) I usually put the object i was wanting to hit in the middle of the front site instead of rite below..gonna get a .22 rifle and get a brick of ammo and test it out..thanks guys

MAURICE
June 23, 2003, 11:40 PM
Sounds like a good idea, maybe a set of the little round silhoutte popper type targets would help too. Lot of fun!

280PLUS
June 24, 2003, 09:47 AM
the computer aided study that determined avarage shooters are zeroed dead center of the bull ~ 95% of the time during the hold, forget trying to pull the trigger at the precise moment the sights line up for that split second when they do

instead concentrate on a nice slow squeeze of the trigger that causes the gun to "surprise" you when it goes off.

this will ensure that even though you flinch(most everybody does) you will flinch just a fraction of a second AFTER the shot is released and therefore not disturb the position of your gun

the army marksmanship book is an outstanding resource

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Aiming a gun...Pistol,rifle,ect." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!