I Got a C Series BHP!

PDA

Wildalaska
January 8, 2003, 02:49 AM
One of the greast things about being in the gun business are those rare instances where a gem just falls right in your lap..

Now I have always been a BHP fan...I have a Custom one built off an Israeli FN, which I will always keep because it is a late 80s FN without the Mark III stuff...

My favs have always been C series HPs however...I know that many of the cognoscenti favour the T Series...for me the best were always the Cs...and yes I have my reasons...

Regardless I have had a few HPs run through the shop....last year a T series in decent shape ran through fast at $399. I've got a C series right now in OK shape(some blue freckling) for $499...nothing really smoked my gun so to speak..

Until 3 days ago...one of my buddies walked in and said he needed some money..he had a rifle and a pistol...I know how and where he got them, and if he had $300 into them it was a lot..

The rifle was in perfect condition...and the pistol....

Well he walked away with a check for $500...the rifle is in the rack now for $399....

That means...the Pistol..in order to make a fair profit on the investment...means I pay back the shop between $200-$250..

O yes...its a 99 % C series Hi Power...almost flawless...and it cost me the same as my Israeli FN

Now...what to do...customize or leave original...btw it has a superb trigger even with the mag safety...

If you enjoyed reading about "I Got a C Series BHP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
firestar
January 8, 2003, 06:23 AM
Leave it original. I want to buy a older BHP in original condition someday so I think many other feel the same. Think of all the ruined Colt 1911s out there from WWI.

I feel certain guns lose something when you add to them, BHPs, 1911s, almost all revolvers, anything historic. It is better to have it as a nice example of a original older BHP than tart it up with fancy doo-dads. Get a new one or a Argentina made one to customize, they are cheap and you can't harm the value.

Kahr carrier
January 8, 2003, 07:38 AM
Ditto keep it stock.:)

Pilot
January 8, 2003, 04:37 PM
According to the fnhipower site the C series were produced between 1969 and 1976. Are these the Mk II's people refer too?

Gunner45
January 8, 2003, 05:13 PM
The Hi-Power that Mrs Gunner45 gave me for christmas is a C series with adjustable sights. Being new to the whole Hi-Power sceen I neve even thought to check the production date. Turns out mine was made in 1971. Very cool, the guns as old as I am :)

Gunner45

stevec
January 8, 2003, 06:46 PM
If you plan to shoot it a lot, I'd only make reversible changes. Like swapping the safety lever and grips, maybe removing the mag safety. Some tape on the front strap, new springs and it'll be a great shooter, and you can always return it to it's original state.
The older guns were supposed to have a pretty decent triggers out of the box. So maybe trigger work isn't necessary - or else you can shoot it as is as "character building" for your trigger finger :D

Of course, if you get bit by the hammer, then you'll have to do more.

Steve

Coltdriver
January 8, 2003, 09:00 PM
I got HP fever just a year and half or so ago.

Did all kinds of homework. Knew exactly what I wanted.

Came across an unfired 1968 T series. Bought it for under $500.

But it was so pretty I had to go out and buy another HP to shoot.

Got a 1989 MKIII that goes to the range and out hunting. Did all my modifications to that one. It is a great gun.

I just break out the T and admire it from time to time. Its my only safe queen and its gonna stay that way.

true believer
January 8, 2003, 09:28 PM
i have a browning hipower, made in belgium...with fixed sites, it is a c model..made in 1974-c...one of the sexiest guns i own...if i could shoot as good as it can..;) ;)
it is in about 95 percent cond..anybody know what it would be worth??
thanks
bob

true believer
January 8, 2003, 09:35 PM
oops, forgot to add, i was looking all over the place for wood grips, i wanted to get an extra set so i would not ding up the wood one on the bhp..anyway i found a set, the guy wanted 85 bucks for them..did not have the money at the time so i passed..about 2 weeks later i was shooying at my range, they have a junk box so i was rummaging through it and lo an behold, a brand new set of wood grips, just like the originals..all for 5 bucks..so when ever i go shooting i check the junk box...:D
bob

makarov
January 9, 2003, 12:20 AM
How rare is a BHP made in Belgium with tangent sights? I don't know if this is a custom gun with one of the Inglis slides that has been reblued. Anyway, a local shop has a HP with the nicest bluing I have ever seen. Made in Belgium, with tangent sights. Pretty unique looking gun. Too rich for my blood at $750 though.

If you enjoyed reading about "I Got a C Series BHP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!