Remington 1740: My Project Begins.

PDA

Deer Hunter
June 5, 2007, 12:08 PM
I thought I might as well share the beginnings of my 1740 project. I got this idea a long time ago while playing Doom, or Duke Nukem, or one of those horribly cheesy gut-blaster shooting games. I thought to myself, "Could it be possible to have a double barrel pump action gun?"

Skip ahead a few years and here I am with the guns, the materials, the knowledge, and the great help and support from a great firearm enthusiast out at my church. After purchasing a used right-handed 870 and a new left-handed 870 from Bud's gun shop online, I was ready to start brainstorming.

I called up my friend and set up a time to head over to his house. After dissasembling each shotgun completely, we both ran through how it could be done. Here's what we're planning on doing.

For the receivers: Two long pins to replace the four smaller pins. These would go straight through both recievers and trigger mechanisms of each shotgun, providing a main support. For this, I've already found some screw-pieces that fit pefectly in each hole. Once they are cut to fit and tightened, it should be plenty of support.

The forend of the gun: A tricky part which required both of us to think a little bit. Since we couldn't make any real handguard that went over both ends, we decided to scrap that idea and start again. The plan is to find some thin-walled piping (which I found, but didn't buy because I was still looking around. Kicking myself for it right now) that would fit over the mag tube and into the area between the nut right behind the mag cap and the lower lip that catches the forend. One on each of the mag tubes will be needed. Once we have that, Another church friend of ours (God bless southern baptists) has a mig welder and will weld a piece of 16 gauge steel (which I have) that has been cut to fit between each of the pipes. Once that's done, I can bolt whatever piece of wood I want onto the forend, so it opens up many more possibilities for furniture.

For the buttstock: This one was my idea, and it probably isn't as ingenious as the rest. Looking at the width of the receivers, a properly sized buttstock that went over both ends of the receivers would allow no room for my finger to reach the triggers (more on the triggers later). He was talking about just putting a skinny normal buttstock between the two receivers, but that just wouldn't look good at all. So I thought about it and came up with this plan: On the left receiver, stick a normal buttstock. On the right reciever, stick a PGO stock that is almost vertical. That way, the left full buttstock can reach my shoulder easily and I can work the shotgun with my hand on the PGO stock. Not pretty, but very servicable and probably the easiest thing we could do. I may stick a piece of steel to replace the rubber butstock on the full stock to balance it out a little better, and that stuck will have to be ground down a bit where the PGO will fit, maybe. We're not quite to that part yet.

As for the triggers, I'm leaving two triggers, but if I can 't reach both of them in the current setup, we will stick a large trigger shoe on the left-sided trigger to make it easier for my finger to reach.

I plan to have a couple different barrels for these guns. I want a slug barrel for the left handed receiver, as I could use that as a slug gun, mounting an optic if needed. I can put any barrel combination I want on this gun, and the best part is that if I ever grow tired of it (doubtful), I can easily convert both shotguns back to their original configuration. No permanant changes need to be made to the shotguns.

Now I have a few pictures of what it looks like right now. Take a look. It's not much, but it may help with visualizations.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 1740: My Project Begins." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
v8stang289
June 5, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'm not really sure how practical it'll be, but the concept sure is cool.

-matt

Dave McCracken
June 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
Interesting. Keep us posted....

Deer Hunter
June 5, 2007, 09:37 PM
Will do. Next time I'm in town I'll be picking up the piping pieces to go over the mag tube, and with that I can begin work on it again.

And Practical? Practicality ends where fun begins.

Kid Prescott
June 5, 2007, 10:02 PM
hey, if it comes together ok i bet it'd be pretty sweet to shoot...

starsandstriper
June 5, 2007, 11:36 PM
how will the safeties be used? btw, it is a really cool project:cool::cool:

Gustav
June 6, 2007, 12:14 AM
FWIW years ago if I remember correcly Soldier Of Fortune magazine had a write up on a double barrel Remington 1100 shotgun I forget what it was called but the concept is the same as what you are trying to build.

Curios to see how your idea will end up it looks interesting it is something along the lines of one I once thought up using two bottom ejecting Ithaca 37 M&P 8 shot shotguns making it into a bullpup with an Eotech sight in the middle mounted between the barrels.

Best of luck. :)

Deer Hunter
June 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
The safeties are one problem that I'm still trying to figure out. Since the controls on each shotgun are opposite, when the safeties are both on "fire" mode, they are pushed to the inside of the two shotguns. On safe, they are both on the outside. I can reach each safety rather easily, so I'm not sure if messing with the safeties would really be needed. I'll most likely take a look at it once the gun is completely made. If it was an Ithaca bottom-ejecting gun, I would simply stick a pin between the two safeties, but I wanted two 870s for their 3" mag ability and the awesome double-side ejection it'll have. (Definantly points for being cool)

Deer Hunter
July 16, 2007, 09:44 PM
I've got the forend figured out, and after I get some steel welded up right I'll be ready to put some nice wood on it. However, I need some guidence on the barrels. I accidently ordered two right handed 18" barrels from MidwayUSA, thinking "Hey, they're 870 barrels, I'll go ahead and get them and call it a day!"

Oops. My bad.

So now I'm sitting on a bead-sight 18" IC RH barrel for an 870 that I can't use. And not only that, but I'm not finding any 18" LH barrels. I'd love to buy a slug barrel and all, but my car's radiator just went out and I need to shift funds over to pay for that. That doesn't mean my 1740 and my Saiga are taking the backseat, since I already have all the parts needed for both of them.

For now, though, while I'm doing the final work on the forend and waiting for Midway to send me the right part (they send me the wrong stock the last time I dealt with them), I'll be looking for a place to purchase a LH barrel for an 870.

anyone have any ideas?

Deer Hunter
August 2, 2007, 03:09 PM
Alright, for those five or so people that's been following this, these pictures are for you.

I've finished the forend extension piece that will be used to mount a wooden forend. However, that forend exists only in theory as of now. So as soon as I fix up something to afix to it, it'll look much, much better. But right now it's ready for a test or two (or three or four or five)! The only fix as of now is the full buttstock on the end needs to be ground down a slight bit around the area where my hand fits onto the pistol grip. There wont be a need to extend the left trigger, as I had originally thought, since I can reach and operate both triggers rather easily in this set-up.

A few things on this project that I'd like to do in the future:
-Get an 18.5" LH barrel to match the RH barrel I hae leaning against my wall.
-Get a LH rifled barrel with a built-in scope mount
-Heat shields for both short barrels, plus the fabrication of a bayonet mount to use with my Remington 17" bayonet I own. (Purely for aesthetical coolness)
-Perhaps get a wooden PGO stock so the entire furniture set can match.

This is going to be one of those projects that I'm going to be working on a for a while, just messing around with and adding onto.

And for all those 870 purists out there, I went into this project with the intention that, if the project itself blew up in my face, I could put each gun back into its original configuration without any harm done to either gun. Each of these 870s can be put back into their factory-condition anytime I want. Much to the dissatisfaction of my future brother-in-law. I promised he'd get the LH gun, since he is left handed, for a wedding gift if everything fell appart.

So here are a few pictures. The fabricated part does look a bit ugly right now. I'm going to clean it up a bit one of these days.

Deer Hunter
August 2, 2007, 03:11 PM
More pictures.

igpoobah
August 2, 2007, 03:24 PM
It's hideous...

but i LOVE it!

Deer Hunter
August 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
Yeah, a face only a mother can love I guess. But then again I've got weird tastes in firearms. I'm just happy to see it come together.

Dave McCracken
August 2, 2007, 11:05 PM
870 Purist here....

I like it. Keep us informed, and if you get to MD with it we'll try some Wobble Flurries.

Thanks....

Big Az Al
August 3, 2007, 02:24 AM
I saw this tonight for the first time and:

My first thought is how do you depress both slide releases at the same time.

Then do you try to fire both barrels at once or like a two trigger SXS?

Deer Hunter
August 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
Dave, if I'm ever up that way I'll see what can be done!

Big Al, it isn't hard to depress both slide releases at the same time and pump the gun. The gun's action is actually very slick. It feels like any-other 870 action that I've used. I had to grind down a bit on the fabricated part to fit a few clearances, but once that was done the pumping smoothed up big time.

And I left the triggers like they are. Two triggers that I can reach easily. I thought I may have to put a trigger shoe on the left handed trigger to help me reach it, but it doesn't need it. I can manuever my finger to fire either one of them or both at the same time. I didn't want to fire two barrels at once all the time.

tuna
August 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
I think it would be more functional if you were able to move both slides independent. This way, you could have one set up with slugs, and wouldn't have to dump shells if you needed a second slug, but didn't want to waste the load in the other shotgun.

I can't believe that I'm actually thinking of possible uses for this.....

Have fun with your project, it looks like it is a very fun gun.

Deer Hunter
August 3, 2007, 06:21 PM
Tuna,

I thought about that, but figuring out a way to pump the actions seperate from eachother was a hassle, not to mention making the guns set out from each other. I wanted the two guns mated as closely to eachother as possible. I'm sure I could have set some kind of locking system on the forend for me to be able to choose which pump I want to operate, if not both at the same time. However, I'd have to brace the mechanism some other way, possibly by binding the two barrels together (not likely) or attatching something to the end of the magazine caps. The way I have it now is the absolute strongest possibly configuration, which is what I really wanted for it. The gun itself is incredibly solid. There is no rattle, wobble, or anything to suggest that it is two guns (other than the blatent obviousness of that fact).

And I plan on taking this gun hunting with me. It'll take a few ducks, maybe a dove or two. And I'll drag it into the woods with me this fall and hopefully come back with a white-tail. Why not? It throws lead just like any other gun, but looks a lot cooler while doing it! If you guys thought it was fun seeing one smoking hull fly out of your shotgun when you pump it, imagine one from each side of the gun. And recoil is nearly non-existant. I fired both barrels at once of 12 pellet buckshot. It nudged me back, but that was it. It wasn't sharp at all, just a gentle push. And without the noise and flash, you wouldn't be able to tell if the birdshot even went off.

My dad had a revelation when I let him shoot it. First off, he finally accepts that it is, indeed, an extremely fun gun. Secondly, he had an idea for the forend. Since I'm looking for some wood to go on the forend part, he suggests getting a wooden baseball bat and carving it down to the specifications that I need. Very neat idea, so I'm going to toy with doing that.

Correia
August 13, 2007, 06:16 PM
Okay, I just found this thread.

That is AWESOME! :D

Seriously, I don't know what I would do with one, but I want to build one now.

buzz_knox
August 15, 2007, 01:29 PM
If you haven't solved the safety issue, would a cammed lever system work? You could attach levers to the inner (the side facing the center of the joined shotgun) and have those levers cammed to a central lever running up and between the actions. For example, pushing the central lever forward would cause the levers would move the safeties into the off position by pulling them to the interior.

PercyShelley
August 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
Keep us posted, this looks awesome!

Slimjim
August 15, 2007, 11:19 PM
If you haven't solved the safety issue, would a cammed lever system work? You could attach levers to the inner (the side facing the center of the joined shotgun) and have those levers cammed to a central lever running up and between the actions. For example, pushing the central lever forward would cause the levers would move the safeties into the off position by pulling them to the interior.

A more simple way would be if the Right hand trigger pack is the same, get a second one, put it in the LH gun, and weld a rod between the two safeties.

Deer Hunter
August 15, 2007, 11:38 PM
I like slimjim's idea, but I'm wondering if a RH trigger pack would work in a LH gun.

Deer Hunter
September 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

This weekend I came home from college for my birthday dinner (steaks and 'nanner puddin', mmm...), and I decided to get started on the forend for my project. That fabricated portion of it is really, really ugly looking, so this part will latch onto it and give the operator a much better grip.

I started out with a Rawlings size 34 baseball bat.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9c/64/837a_1.JPG

I don't know what kind of wood they make these things out of, but man it's tough! So I made some guestimations and measurments and decided to cut this buddy up. First I used a hack-saw and wood saw to slice off the handle-portion while it was set up in a vice. After that, I used a cicular saw to slice it to the right size. Then I gave each side an angle, one slightly more than the other, done with the circular saw.

After more measuring and marking (with the help of my wonderful girlfriend, she really does make a great assistant.) I cut the two grooves needed to fit on the bent portion of the sheet metal. Once that was done, I lined everything up and took measurments for the drilled holes (which was much, much harder than I had anticipated. I need better/more tools).

So I've got the basic shape and cuts made on the piece. Next time I'm back in town, I'll hollow out the inside a bit, smooth it out, give it some grip-grooves, sand it all down, and stain it to the color of the buttstock.

However, the buttstock will need to be refinished on one part, because I have to take a bit out of the "pistol grip" portion of the full stock to make a little more room for my hand.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P9150077.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P9150076.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P9150075.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P9150074.jpg

Deer Hunter
October 7, 2007, 11:40 PM
Quick update.

I was in this weekend, and I finished most of the work on the shotgun. I finished the forend, fitted it, smoothed it out, sanded it, and stuck it on the forend. I would like it to sit a bit lower and closer to the forend, maybe wrap around it a bit, but you take what you can get. I took the gun out and put 35 rounds of birdshot, 12 pellet buck, and some 3" turkey loads through it just for grins.

I will reiterate what I have stated previously: This is the funnest shotgun I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.

Next thing I need to do is sand down both forend and buttstock (had to alter the buttstock a bit) and refinish both of them. That is, after I shape the forend piece just a tad bit more to my taste. Which will, like every time, take patience. That baseball bat wood is crazy-strong.

No pictures now. Too busy sighting in my FAL and my Saiga this weekend.

Dave McCracken
October 8, 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
.... But it's still fun as hell!

A few weeks back I got the baseball bat all wittled down to what I needed, even though it's still a bit rough. I'm planning on taking it off and taking a bit more of an incline to the part facing the trigger guard then rounding it off with my dremel and sandpaper. I still have to sand everything down a bit more and finish the buttstock and the forend. It looks nasty up front, simply because it sticks out a bit and I had wanted to cover up most of the tube section, but that would have taken a lot more than some simple cutting. My girlfriend helped me with the measurements when cutting up the baseball bat (God bless her). I've put this thing through the ringer, and managed to shake the pistol grip loose due to recoil. (double 3" mag turkey loads that I had lieing around... My father buys me 5, 10 round boxes of these things that he saw on sale at academy for Christmas so I can fire them out of my 6 pound coach gun... Thanks dad, thanks. :what: ) Tightened it up, put a better washer on the actual bolt, and it was good to go. So I take this thing to the camp opening weekend, 'cause my dad's been telling everybody that his boy's making a double barrel pump action gun. (Funny how everytime I go to modify something, he's rabidly against it, but once i get started he sees the light :D)

On the last day, one of the guys I've known for a while is taking pictures of it on his phone to show a friend of his back home. I told him that if he was interested, I could tell him how it was done and offer some advice. Then he wants to shoot it. That's fine, I wanted to shoot it too. On the last load of buckshot I brought with me, he lets off both barrels at once. Then he looks at me and says "I think I broke it".

I'm thinking :what::what::what: PLEASE DON'T LET IT BE THE WELDS!

But it wasn't!

Looks like those threaded pieces that I stuck through the two receivers to keep them together snapped due to all the recoil I had been putting through the thing! Come on, Lowe's. Give me some quality material.

So now I'm going to look for some more, and hopefully much stronger, parts to go through the trigger groups and receivers of both guns. Nothing's really "broke", kinda hard to do with an 870, just need to drop by the hardware store and take a look to see what I can do.

Now, picture time! Looks slightly less awkward now that it's got 18" barrels.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PB030012.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PB030011.jpg

The wooden piece: Everything still looks rough, I know. I havn't done any fine-touches just yet.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PB030016.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PB030015.jpg

Questions, comments and ":uhoh:" smilies welcome!

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2007, 07:55 PM
Forgot to add:

Had to chop up one of the buttstocks to give more room for hand placement.

Dave McCracken
November 4, 2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the update. Awaiting range report....

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2007, 09:52 PM
As soon as we dust off the clay-launcher, I'll be happy to report.

Deer Hunter
November 25, 2007, 07:28 PM
Well I finally have video up for this guy.

I've replaced the weak threaded blanks that were being used to hold the receivers together with a much, much stronger set of hex bolts. These things will hold up very nicely. Next, just for fun, I put a sling on it. Not sure I like how it is yet, so I may take it off before I go hunting with it (Yeah, you heard me) over Christmas.

While shooting it, I was holding the gun just right for the left side not to eject very easily with some old winchester birdshot. It hung up right at the end on the ejector. I tested it while at home with other rounds and it worked just fine. Probably me not being in the right position while jacking it, who knows?

What looks like great recoil really isn't anything at all. I'm letting the shotgun roll to my shoulder, not trying to stop it. It's extremely comfortable. While shooting the birdshot in the gun, my future Brother in law commented that it felt "like a .22. Much, much less than my K31!". Both barrels of buckshot at once pushes you a bit, but it isn't sharp at all.

This gun is a celebrity at the deer camp. My dad just can't help showing me and the gun off. It's had its picture taken a few times. Too bad I still havn't finished up the stock. Oh well.

Also, forgive the dirty goatee. I was scruffy one day, and my girlfriend wanted me to carve a goatee out of it. So I made her happy, and made my mom go :uhoh:.

Video was made on my Olympus camera, in the hands of my Brother in Law.

This first one was mostly birdshot. First one barrel at a time, then two doubles, then again one barrel at a time. I don't think I was jacking the gun as hard as I needed to. Perhaps it was the ammo.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_PB210042.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=PB210042.flv)

This next one was a few rounds of buckshot. First, both barrels at once. Next, seperate. Notice I didn't put much force in racking the slide. That was my fault, not the gun's. The rounds used are Nobel 12 pellet 00 buck.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_PB210045.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=PB210045.flv)

This next video is two loads of birdshot, followed by two loads of Federal 3" magnum number 4 turkey loads. My dad bought them for me the Christmas I got my Stoeger coach gun. He found them on sale, and bought me 6 boxes! I still have 4 boxes left... :)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_PB210046.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=PB210046.flv)

Finally, a picture of the gun leaning up against my Sister's Jeep. No clays this time, Dave. Next time to be sure, though.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PB210041.jpg

A fine gun, ugly as sin right now. Over Christmas break, that will be remedied.

gp911
November 25, 2007, 07:51 PM
Brilliant. Just brilliant.

My hat's off to you. Get some finish-work accomplished and you'll really have something!

gp911

Deer Hunter
November 25, 2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks GP.

Like I said, it'll be refinished over Christmas.

Dave McCracken
November 25, 2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks, nice project. Betcha it'd RULE at skeet....

Dave McCracken
November 25, 2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks. Betcha it'd RULE at skeet....

Correia
November 26, 2007, 02:02 PM
That is just too damn cool. :)

JKimball
November 26, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well done, Deer Hunter! That is awesome. This is the sort of thing some of us may think about/dream about doing, but you actually did it!

I'm curious to see what you have in mind for changes to the baseball bat grip. I'm thinking maybe you could find a piece of wide aluminum handrail that could surround the magazines so it wouldn't have to hang down so far, and it would be nice and light.

craig_o
November 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
I think you said it best at the end of the first video:

"Sweet."

Packman
November 27, 2007, 09:06 PM
so cool. so incredibly cool.

cwmcgu2
November 27, 2007, 09:54 PM
Wow... that's awesome.

Deer Hunter
November 27, 2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the thumbs-up guys! I really wish some of you could handle it. It's truly a fun thing indeed. I've been bouncing around ideas for a bayonet, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it.

Deer Hunter
November 28, 2007, 09:42 PM
I've got a few 3" remington rifled slugs and a big case of 12 pellet buckshot sitting around the house. When I'm on Christmas break, I'm going to be hunting a bunch. Anyone want to see what this thing would do to a Texas hog or buck? :D

Roswell 1847
November 28, 2007, 09:47 PM
The Bottom ejecting Ithacha pump guns might be suitable for such a conversion.
Does Mossberg also make a Bottom Ejecting Shotgun?

Edited
Never mind I had missed the first page and when I checked it I saw you'd mentioned the bottom ejecting guns earlier.

Dave McCracken
November 28, 2007, 09:48 PM
Ya gonna mix load it with buck in one side and a slug up in t'other?

Roswell 1847
November 28, 2007, 09:54 PM
Or stuff a pair of nunchucks down the barrels and take out whole crowds of ninjas.
Or two lead balls connected with a chainsaw blade like the old chain shot used to cut down a mast.

Deer Hunter
November 28, 2007, 09:54 PM
Thinking about taking a slug in each barrel, followed by buck if I need follow-up shots. Out of the 28" barrels, it should be workable. I could do the slug 'n' buck combo, though.... Do I want two .72 caliber holes, or one .72 caliber hole plus a bunch of little .33 caliber holes?

Roswell, I was actually thinking about finding some Ithacha shotguns for this project while I was researching to see how it would work. I decided against it, however. I liked the 870's design and thought it would be more practical.

rem2429
December 2, 2007, 03:51 PM
That looks like one aggie engineered shotgun. I reckon two 1100's would be a ball as well...
REM '99

Gord
December 2, 2007, 04:04 PM
First vote for naming it "Sarah's Nightmare" and getting said name inscribed on both barrels. :D

Deer Hunter
December 14, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm about ready to finish sanding all the wood and then staining it. I'm going to go pick up the stain tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions as to what hue?

Deer Hunter
December 27, 2007, 05:43 PM
I finally got around to sanding the stock down and applying stain to both the foregrip and the buttstock of the gun. Since all I had was fine-grit sandpaper, and about three pieces of it, I opted to use a sanding attatchment on my dremel tool. It worked very well. Too well on some parts, though. It's got a few bumps that I can feel, but I don't mind that. I used a dark stain for the wood, and somehow I seemed to have sanded one side of the gun more than the other, because one side came out darker than the other side. Oh well, it's my first time staining anything so I'll let it slide. The foregrip, being a different wood, stained slightly lighter but still looks much better than it did. All in all the wood looks very old, which is something I like about it. Tomorrow I'll put on another coat of stain and then possibly finish up with some varnish or polyeurathane.

PTK
December 27, 2007, 05:56 PM
Deer Hunter

You are my hero. I'll be needing to find two 870s now, or more hopefully two 37s.

Deer Hunter
December 27, 2007, 06:22 PM
Two 37s may work better. Finding LH parts for the LH 870, such as different barrels, can be tricky. But at least I can get many different barrels for it. Are there many accessories being made for the 37s these days?

The Deer Hunter
December 27, 2007, 06:44 PM
If you got a LH and a RH 870 and a Browning BPS....

Nice gun, Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
December 28, 2007, 09:57 PM
Here's some pictures of the two pieces of furniture I have been staining. They have two coats of dark maple wood stain on them so far. I like the way it looks, even if it's rough. I like the rougher look of the wood, it just seems to fit this gun better. I'll put a light coat of polyeurathane when everything dries up.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PC280146.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PC280147.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/PC280148.jpg

boots
December 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
you're crazy....the good kind...

Deer Hunter
December 29, 2007, 12:49 PM
I wont be able to finish it all until after New Years, but then I'll have some more pictures and possibly a video or two from shooting clays. The wood seems to be coming along nicely.

Crazy? No, crazy would be adding a bayonet... Which are in the plans....

Deer Hunter
January 6, 2008, 09:13 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/motivator3486400.jpg

The finished product as it stands right now. Got a few pictures of the newly finished furniture, hope it looks alright. I didn't have good lighting while taking the pictures. I apologise beforehand.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060355.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060352.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060351.jpg

Here's a few pictures of how the finished pieces look on the shotgun.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060371.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060369.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060368.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060367.jpg

It looks dirty and beat up, but it fits.

strat81
January 6, 2008, 10:30 PM
Dude, you are my hero. That is too cool.

Deer Hunter
January 10, 2008, 12:32 AM
Too bad I havn't gotten a chance to shoot it, and now it's time to head back to school. I took this gun, 18 inch barrels and all, out for its first hunt. Last day of white tail season, and all I saw were squirrels. Too bad all I had were 3" slugs and a few rounds of buckshot. Oh well, all that matters is that I'm happy with the outcome and it was fun sitting up in a tree stand watching squirrels frantically trying to bury nuts.

One day I'll get it out to the range to bust some clays, but it may be a few weeks or so.

Dave McCracken
January 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
Man, I'd LOVE to take this skeeting. Let us know how it goes....

41magsnub
January 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
I like this version better! :evil:

Deer Hunter
January 10, 2008, 07:10 PM
Haha, thanks 41magsnub. I'm thinking something with pteradactyls is in order....

Dave, I shot skeet with my coach gun and girlfriend's 20 gauge 1100 over the break, but at that time the shotgun was in pieces and the furniture was in the process of getting refinished. Next time I'm in I'll resurrect the skeet slinger, though.

S&W45
January 11, 2008, 04:01 PM
That is just plain Red-Neck Cool!!! I like it. Neat project, thats for the info.

Seancass
January 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
this could well be the coolest thing ever to surface on the internet. how hard is it to reach the other trigger?

hockeybum
January 28, 2008, 11:36 AM
:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

my dad would kill me if did that to two shotguns, but that is AWESOME! looks like fun too

Deer Hunter
February 2, 2008, 02:02 PM
My laptop died, so replies have been late.

Sean, the triggers arn't hard to reach at all. I have medium sized hands and it's easy for me to reach them. My dad's fingers are thicker than mine and he reaches them fine. I was contemplating a trigger shoe for the left trigger, but it seems to not need it.

Hockey,

No shotgun was harmed in the making of this abomination. :)

Deer Hunter
April 2, 2008, 06:01 PM
Here's a quick update:

While witnessing my first IPSC match, I was speaking to a few of the guys and talking about the types of matches they run. Occasionally they do Rifle sub-matches (like the one that day) and shotgun sub-matches. They really enjoyed the shotgun match. Well I mentioned I had two shotguns, but only one would really work for that kind of shooting...

So they listen intently as I explain the my 1740 to them. One of them, a younger guy who owns a gun shop, exclaims that he's been wanting to do that for years! So in two weeks I'll be going home to pick up a few of my guns to have him hold for me while I'm still stuck in a dorm. One will be the shotgun, so he can see it. I could even get to use it on one of their courses.

But I'll have to make it look much more eviler.....Extended magazine tubes perhaps? :D

mossberg
April 2, 2008, 06:21 PM
Have you thought about some kind of synthetic furniture? That instantly boosts evil!

Correia
April 3, 2008, 11:18 AM
You could put a 500 on the right side, a BPS in the middle, and a left hand 870 on the left, and then call it the Mossbrownington B1370S.

I still think this is one of the coolest/weirdest ideas I've ever actually seen anybody screw together. I really do want to make one now.

Avenger29
April 3, 2008, 11:24 AM
Extended mag tubes, a couple of bayo lugs, side saddles on each side...

Deer Hunter
April 3, 2008, 07:45 PM
I would really, REALLY want a HUGE blade on this thing. It would take a lot of work and serious WECSOGing to get it to work. But I'd want a "Bayonet" that could be considered a larger, thicker version of the old Enfield bayonets. I have an original 17" bladed bayonet that I bought in hopes of putting it on my Ishy. That didn't work out, got a different year that what I needed.

I want heat shields for it, simply to aid in reloading. I have to lay it over one forearm, and now that summer's approaching, long sleeves are out of the question. Side Saddles? Hmm....How many rounds could I honestly stick into this thing...

I was out at the deer camp Easter weekend. My mother, father, bro-in-law, sis, and one of her friends were all out by the fire. BiL and I just got off the stand (didn't see any hogs, blast!). I had my 1740 and he had his K31. Anyway, I'm unloading the gun, depressing the two buttons and jacking the slide. Two rounds, two rounds, two round two rounds, two rounds.

My mother was watching me, and she asked in her little southern accent, "My Lord, how many shells does that thing hold?"

:D Yep, that's what I'm going for.

Correia, the guy I talked to at this past IPSC competition had always thought of taking two 1100s and putting them together. I still think two pump guns is about as manly as you can get. That is, until you stick three on.

Cromlech
April 4, 2008, 10:15 AM
I was thinking, wouldn't it be even more amusing to fit one of those 'key-master' type underbarrel shotguns? :D

okiewita40
April 4, 2008, 11:01 AM
Deer Hunter this is about the neatest thing I have ever seen. If only there could be a mossberg 1000. it would be just slightly less weight than your rem 1740.

Deer Hunter
April 4, 2008, 01:45 PM
I thought about using a mossberg, but figured I would save money in the long run going with a used RH 870. Plus I like all steel. I wanted it to be as strong as possible.

Keymaster? This thing's a doormaster.

EHCRain10
May 26, 2008, 02:32 AM
That is an awesome use of guns, if only somebody made a commercial kit to do it!
what do you think about adding a rail to the slide with a vertical flashlight grip?

chas08
May 26, 2008, 06:49 PM
No offence but...LOL...That thing looks like something you would see Elmer Fudd chasing Daffy Duck with. :D But to each his own, I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)

p89cajun
May 26, 2008, 11:05 PM
Holy crap that thing is great. I don't even know what to say other than that, just freekin great.

Deer Hunter
May 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
And the thread lives!

Next IPSC match at the local club they will hold a shotgun side-match with only slugs. I asked the president of the club what it would be like if I used it, and he said he'd let me shoot with it. :)

Dave McCracken
May 28, 2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, DH. Let us know how it goes.....

Samurai Penguin
June 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
You, Deer Hunter, are certifiably insane.

And a truly wonderful insanity it is!! :evil: :D

Oh, hope you don't mind:

http://www.geocities.com/whencefreedom/imageses/rem1470motiv.jpg

DeerSlayer7600
June 16, 2008, 11:24 PM
That is freaking awesome!

Bog
June 17, 2008, 05:56 AM
Heh. Kinda reminds me of the Rutan Boomerang asymmetric plane...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/transportation/1289166.html

BryanP
June 17, 2008, 08:04 AM
Even though I'm a long time regular on these boards I missed this entirely until Lawdog linked it on his blog just now.

Now that's just awesome. Great work.

Deer Hunter
June 17, 2008, 10:36 AM
I was linked?

Hah! I was! Great stuff!

Bog, nice link to that plane. I'd like to see the specs on it and watch it fly one day.

For an update on the 1740, right now it's sitting in my safe awaiting my next range trip. I'm going to go out and buy a few boxes of slugs so I can work with shooting and reloading for an IPSC match coming up. The chapter I frequent usually does a small side-match for fun. Last time it was a big carbine match (in which my Saiga kicked some major butt), and this next time the match director said he'd have a shotgun/slug match. I asked if I could use it and he said sure!

Johnny Guest
June 17, 2008, 11:21 AM
And I plan on taking this gun hunting with me. It'll take a few ducks, maybe a dove or two. And I'll drag it into the woods with me this fall and hopefully come back with a white-tail. Why not? Well, as much as I admire your concept and your handiwork, I'd be uneasy, thinking of you hunting either ducks or dove with this firearm.

Please remember the federal law conerning hunting migratory birds - - One restriction is that your shotgun must not hold more than three shells. I'd be willing to bet that your project gun would be ruled to be ONE gun. Your having effectively combined them into one unit, especially with one stock, indicates this is no longer TWO 870s, but ONE gun. Only three shells in the entire assembly? - - - That would take away a lot of the fun.

It would be legal enough to hunt quail with it, though. They are not migratory, and, when a covey bursts up, in all directions, it might be fun to have plenty of shot in the air. :D

Now, I think it would be JUST the thing for hog hunting. You frequently see a good sized group (sounder??) of pigs of assorted sizes. If you set up a short range ambush on a game trail, you might bag several in one transaction. Some 72 double-aught, .33" buck shot, or a half-dozen one-ounce slugs in a single short burst would probably be sufficient. :rolleyes:

And there's no restriction on firearms used for taking white tail deer in Texas, other than, no rimfires and no machine guns.

I'm fascinated with your project, Deer Hunter. Good luck to you.

Best,
Johnny

Deer Hunter
June 17, 2008, 11:28 AM
Johnny,

I consider it two fun firearms combined into one hilarious unit. With two receivers, it would be considered two guns in the ATF's eyes. But I do understand what you mean about the migratory birds. I don't hunt them with this gun. That spot is reserved for my Stoeger.

But for anything else down here, this gun is game for it! I've shot slugs and buckshot through the longer 28" barrels and they group very well. In fact, if I put what I want to shoot between the two beads when looking down sights, I can place the slugs very close together if I pulled the triggers at the same time.

However I'm sure that for most of the white-tail we have down here it would be a bit overkill.

And yes, I do plan on taking it hog hunting when I get the chance to go.

1KPerDay
June 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
Samurai Penguin, nice poster, but you got the model number wrong. ;)

ClickClickD'oh
June 17, 2008, 11:12 PM
I think the, "What gun for Bear defense?" question has been firmly solved.

Samurai Penguin
June 17, 2008, 11:29 PM
You told me twice already, 1K! F1xx0r3d! :neener:

(Jeeze, some people's nitpicking, I tell ya...! :D )

1KPerDay
June 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
You told me twice already, 1K!
I did?? Are you at STN? :cool:

Deer Hunter
June 22, 2008, 04:15 PM
Well, the 1740 had its first taste of competition today.

After four pistol courses at my monthly IPSC match, we set up for a shotgun course. Everybody went to get their shotguns and placed them on the rack. Well I went to get mine and I got plenty of stares. A few guys knew about it and couldn't wait to see what it could do. A few others had never seen such blasphamy in their entire lives. Another group said it'd be perfect for a mad-max scenario.

The course of fire was pretty interesting, since we had to "breach" a door. The door looked like this.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/schleider/front.jpg

It was spring loaded, so when that board broke, it flew open and you entered through it and began to engage targets. The targets were two poppers, two plates, and I think 6 or so clay pidgeons. You started with 6 rounds in your gun. In retrospect, I should have reloaded to max capacity when the buzzer sounded.

Anyway. I messed up when positioning my extra rounds. I had practiced with them simply in my pocket. Well I decided last minute to stuff them between my pants and my belt. Dumb mistake. I went to reload after breaching the door and my hand went straight for the pocket. That made me lose some seconds.

I cannot reload a shotgun very fast. I had never been timed on this kind of shooting before, so I was nervous and made a few mistakes. But I did hit all the targets on the first round, and I only got a "no-hit" on one clay because it was behind a barrel. I couldn't even see it from where I was.

Even though it wasn't a perfect run, I still got out of there faster than some guys. It took a few of the guys 6 rounds to get through the door! I blasted through it with one trigger pull, but it was held on by a small bit of wood. One blast from the right barrel and it was done for.

It was a very fun little side-match. I had to leave after I shot because back home there was a very large dog in my house that I'm sure had to use the restroom.

One thing I thought was interesting was the amount of malfunctions some people had with their shotguns. Mine didn't have one hiccup! I was so proud. Everyone cheered me on, and then promptly hushed when both barrels went off at the door. :D

Beetle Bailey
June 24, 2008, 02:33 AM
Everyone cheered me on, and then promptly hushed when both barrels went off at the door.

YES!! This is the coolest, coolest thread ever! So, what's next? :D:cool:

redraidermgr
June 24, 2008, 03:15 AM
you're crazy....the good kind...

You are awesome. That is the craziest/coolest frickin gun I have ever seen!

Grats on trying it at the IPSC, sounds like you blew em away with both barrels... Sorry for the crappy pun. my screwed up sense of humor I guess.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 24, 2008, 08:21 PM
You are definitely crazy - just awesome.

You could put a 500 on the right side, a BPS in the middle, and a left hand 870 on the left, and then call it the Mossbrownington B1370S.

Oh my lawdie have mercy - somebody has GOT to do that! That's too good of an idea to leave on the design table. Any volunteers? :D :D

Samarai Penguin, I have my new desktop background; thanks! :)

JShirley
June 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
That is extremely cool! Thanks for sharing with us.

Larry, I think a Saiga-12 with a PG shotgun mounted underneath the fore-end would be incredibly cool. You could shoot slugs in the Saiga, and buck (or special purpose) in the underbarrel.

John

TimW
June 25, 2008, 12:43 AM
Next project, use Ithica M37s....bottom ejecting so you can put full side-saddles on them, and they have no disconnector, so you can hold the trigger down and fire them merely by pumping the action. However, that might be difficult to do with both barrels at once....

Awesome creation.

STiTkacik
June 25, 2008, 09:17 AM
Very cool gun.

I must see a video of it being fired. :D

JShirley
June 25, 2008, 05:43 PM
Video starts with this post (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3927668&postcount=31).

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
June 25, 2008, 05:47 PM
I have a suggestion, and I odn't know if you've thought about it at all.

Why not hand make a butt stock that is wide where it connects with the guns, but tapers to a normal width?

Just a suggestion/

Deer Hunter
June 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
LJ,

that was my original plan, but I have no tools to attempt it. While brainstorming I came up the the idea of a PGO and a modified full stock. It works fairly well and gives a good balance to the gun (for a 16 pound gun, that is). If I can find the right wood and possibly the tools I could think about doing that. However, tapering it to make it useable would hurt the rigidity. I'd have to design a new shape for the stock before I decided on anything.

I will need to get some more videos soon. Perhaps next week sometime I can shoot a vew videos.

Mossbrownington B1370S.

I'm game. :)

I still have my 28" barrels for it, so one day I'll have some video of me busting clays. Just for Dave.

Deer Hunter
June 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
I checked the IPSC website and found a few pictures that some of you guys might enjoy!

http://www.brazoslandpistoleros.com/photos/0608/DSC_0442.jpg

http://www.brazoslandpistoleros.com/photos/0608/DSC_0449.jpg

http://www.brazoslandpistoleros.com/photos/0608/DSC_0451.jpg

I had a great time!

Dave McCracken
June 26, 2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks!! IMO, the project is a success.

MartinS
June 29, 2008, 07:08 PM
There is really nothing as interesting as a twisted mind attached to cunning and educated hands. Deer Hunter, may you walk in beauty all your days.

Deer Hunter
June 29, 2008, 11:07 PM
Martin, you're not the first to refer to me as "twisted", I assure you.

Going out to buy clays this next week. Will be busting them next weekend.

Geno
July 10, 2008, 11:44 AM
Deer Hunter:

Don't know if I should call you twisted, genius, or a twisted genius. Guess you get the honor of both, along with my admiration. FWIW, my 13-year-old daughter thought it was pretty cool as well.

You need to machine an aluminum picatinny forend for that thing. Now, assume you go to sell it...which serial number do you use? :evil:

But you know, a truly twisted and "sick" mind would have fantasies about pairing an 870 (L) with a BPS (C) and a 870 (R). Now that, a tri-shottie, that would be twisted. :)

Very cool.

Doc2005

daveit
July 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
You're my hero. That is bad ass.

Diamondback6
July 11, 2008, 11:57 PM
Actually, it might be possible to build a "selective pump". If you mount some kind of transverse rail across the pumps, and have the forearm slide across it, left or right works respective pump only and center does both...

Now if only there were a semiauto this could be done with...

As for the tribarrel idea, how would you reach all three triggers?

Deer Hunter, does this baby get one bayonet or two? Wonder what Hans Vang would want for giving one of these a refit...

Deer Hunter
July 12, 2008, 12:09 AM
Diamondback,

The selective pump option crossed my mind a few times, but in the end I figured it would be so much simpler to have a one pump-two hulls kind of set-up. Plus the way it's set up now it adds a little bit more strength to the action.

Which leads me into the tri-barrel idea. That would be neat, however I find there may be a problem when mixing different shotgun types. I stuck the two 870 receiver together by replacing the pins holding the fireing mechanisms in place with correct-sized bolts, then dremeled the excess off once I tightened each up with a nut.

This project hinged on being able to snug the receivers up symetrically by lining up the pin-holes. Would a BPS or Ithaca have the same size pins in the same places as the 870? My gut tells me they wouldn't be.

And yes, I do want a bayonet. A very very large bayonet. I've been brainstorming ways to do so, but most would require some rather unique mounting methods.

Diamondback6
July 12, 2008, 12:30 AM
On bayonets, like I said why just one? If you add duallies you can just mount one on each barrel conventionally...

That is one wicked, evil piece of hardware. I wonder if something similar could be done with a Neostead, or a semiauto like a Saiga... (Four barrels controlled by two hands oughtta be one heck of a "force multiplier"!) I have got to build me one of these someday...

Question is, where to mount the EOTac? Hmmm... maybe a rail with a vertical plate going between the receivers?

jerkface11
July 17, 2008, 12:42 PM
How about an SKS blade type bayonet set up to flip up between the barrels.

jpatterson
July 17, 2008, 02:15 PM
Just weld a sword in between the front two barrels. This isn't rocket science guys!

younganddumb
July 17, 2008, 04:49 PM
sick man!!!!

Diamondback6
July 17, 2008, 07:05 PM
Well, I've been doing some brainstorming on changes from DH's prototype to the "1740T Tactical" model, and have some ideas to beef up it's strength.

First, the 1740T would use a new combined grip unit, both pistol-grip and stock, joining both receivers at the rear end.

Second, a metal plate holding the sight-rail in the middle (bolted between the two 870's) would extend all the way forward, welded to a connector joining both barrels and both magazines. Possibly even made as either part of, or to have a different kind of connection to the joined stock...

Of course, dual bayonets, preferably the meanest of whatever's been US standard-issue, although a couple big ol' Bowies could be kinda fun too...

1KPerDay
July 17, 2008, 07:12 PM
And yes, I do want a bayonet. A very very large bayonet.
A chainsaw bayonet. :D

Deer Hunter
July 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
Chainsaw Bayonet....hmmm....

Electric or Gas powered? :)

Diamondback,

You wouldn't think it was, but this thing is extremely durable. No more building up is required.

And what would you make the conjoined stock from? How would its size and shape form to fit someone's hands, allow for access to each trigger, and hold rigidity all at the same time? I've thought about this a lot. It seems you'd almost need some bastardized form of a thumbhole stock.

Diamondback6
July 17, 2008, 08:40 PM
DH, I hadn't gotten that far yet, other than thinking to move the PG onto the centerline. As for reinforcing the fore-end, I was thinking if I could beef up the forward join that'd let me go for independently-operable pumps.

Deer Hunter
July 19, 2008, 10:48 PM
Alright guys, I took the 1740 out to shoot clays today. I picked up a box of clays before coming in to work around the house back home. After working all day on a puppy-house plus working around the kennels, my family decided to go out and shoot a bit.

We took three guns, the Citori, my Stoeger Coach Gun, and the 1740. Just a box of shells though, so we didn't get to shoot much. However, we did a bunch of film of the event.

We shot on an old overgrown government road. There was maybe 20 feet of room we could shoot down. Not much at all, so the shots were short. However...

20 clays in the air, 0 hit the ground in one piece. I figure it was pretty good for my first time shooting clays with it. :) I switched out the barrels to the 28" ones, I figured those would serve me better than the 18" cyliner bores.

I wont have the videos up for a few days, but I just wanted to let Dave know that this thing is GREAT to have on the range! I just wish we had a better clay-chunker. The one we use is probably 30 years old, rusted, and just-barely-hanging-in-there rigged. I want to take it out to a really good clay range and hit multiple clays in the air.

My Coach gun did just fine as well. Three shots, three clays. It'll do fine on doves this year.

And as an added bonus, my mother busted her first clays tonight. She handled the citori very well! And the ones she didn't hit, her German Short Hair fetched for her.

Gunner4h1r3
July 20, 2008, 01:17 AM
your shotty is the coolest thing i have seen in gid kniws how long. i am impressed by your work and dedication. now you need to start up a small company and you will be set for life.

Deer Hunter
July 20, 2008, 11:01 AM
My parents have been after me to patent the design, get a kit going, and sell them to people.

Dave McCracken
July 20, 2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks, DH, you just improved my morn. Awaiting video.

Hmm, shotguns and GSPs. A natural combination....

lgsracer
July 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
Benelli M2

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/lefthand.tpl

JeepGeek
July 20, 2008, 04:03 PM
this is just entirely wrong.....

kepp it up :)

La Pistoletta
July 20, 2008, 05:45 PM
Nerdgasm. Evil smile upon seeing the screens. Big grin when viewing the videos.

Now make a Benelli MM11. :D

Deer Hunter
July 21, 2008, 01:36 AM
It's late, but I was busy downloading a few other things so I figured I might as well splice up the long 13 minute video into four good videos of the gun busting clays.

The first video is of me using the gun for two clays thrown seperately. As you can see, this was done on a small road that our little neck of the woods uses for all manner of target shooting.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_video2.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=video2.flv)

The second video shows me miss the clay on the first shot only to hit it with the second. It works much like a side-by-side, you just have to slightly shift your eyes from barrel to barrel. I didn't find it hard at all.

Our GSP Hank was too excited to sit still. He's the best bird dog I've ever seen. Twice he's caught birds out of mid air while they were swooping in to their nests in our porch rafters. Lays them at our feet and waits for a command. Amazing dog.
Don't mind the poodle. It is my nemesis.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_Video1.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=Video1.flv)

Third video is me being cocky and my parents being my parents. My dad asked me if I had been practicing. :D

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_Video3.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=Video3.flv)

In this last video my dad gives it a go after I bust two. He didn't hit any, but to his credit he never missed with my mother's Citori.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_Video4.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=Video4.flv)

I have a few other videos, such as my mother hitting her first clays (Classic reaction!) and me busting clays with my coach gun, but those arn't what you guys wanted to see I bet. :) Watching the videos is fun, but using the gun is even more fun.

La Pistoletta
July 21, 2008, 06:35 AM
You can call it The Duke or something. :)

Deer Hunter
July 21, 2008, 10:14 AM
The Duke? I'd reserve that for a lever action...

However, if I had the money and the resources I would love to play around with those benellis. That would be just too much fun.

If anyone ever wanted to make something like this, let me know and I can help out in any way I can.

EHCRain10
July 22, 2008, 01:00 AM
im betting that a commercial kit would sell like hot cakes
i know id buy one

Deer Hunter
July 22, 2008, 10:06 PM
The commercial kit idea does intrigue me, however someone with a machine shop would be able to pump these things out with a lot more quality than I could have. And I figure that if anyone wanted to build one up I could help them all they want.

Everyone has different preferences. One kit wouldn't satisify everyone. Some would want the option to pump either action seperatly from the other (-10 points of coolness if you ask me). Others would want a different stock, wood, etc. There is no way I have the ability to deal with orders even if a fair amount of people wanted kits.

Besides, I'm not in it to get rich. I just wanted to blast things.

But as I've said, if someone wants to build one and has questions that arn't answered in this thread, shoot me a pm or email and I'd be happy to help them out.

Scoutsout2645
August 7, 2008, 12:57 AM
I just found this thread and...
I
WANT
ONE!

My suggestion would be to side-mount the bayonnets on the barrels, that way they won't interfere with the under-barrel mounted 40mmGL....:evil:

Good job!

Deer Hunter
August 7, 2008, 12:58 AM
Welcome to the thread!

I had actually thought about side-mounting something that was somehow attatched to the forward grip assembly. It would definantly be unique.

Diamondback6
August 7, 2008, 11:35 AM
Only one 40mm? Why not two, make this the ultimate double-gun? :eek:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
The Duke? I'd reserve that for a lever action...

Hee hee - I'm envisioning side by side Norinco 1887 leverguns in 10 ga! :eek:

Deer Hunter
August 9, 2008, 11:05 PM
Premium! Don't give me anymore ideas! I'm broke! :( I gotta pay for food too you know!

I havn't been paying much attention to the poor thing. I'm thinking I will take it to the skeet range in Houston next time I'm up there.

Deer Hunter
August 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
Update.

Today was a good day. I went to the range with a friend of mine (whom I met at the range last time I went). We tried out my .22 Kaded kit with various loads of ammunition, all of which ran flawlessly. I even used it at the 100 yard line with unexpected success.

When we get back to my house, he wants to see the rest of my guns. So he's seen the AR, he wants me to help him built up a Saiga like mine, he enjoys my CZs, think my S&W 625's trigger is magical, and gets introduced to Mosin Nagants.

Then I pulled out the 1740.

I saw a look of recognition in his face, then he exclaims "You're THAT guy?!"

So apparently I'm that guy. He saw the gun in another forum or two and thought that it was pretty crazy. He handled it and said he wanted to shoot it.

Next time we go I'm definantly taking it with me.

Dimis
September 22, 2008, 02:53 AM
just found this thread MAN THATS AWESOME!!!!!!

what made you want to do that?
i remember two places ive seen something roughly like that one is moe from the simpsons "pumped" a double in an episode and the other was a triple pump in a movie called undead basicly they were just strutted together with the outer guns missing the gunstocks leaving just the center and the pumps were bridged with metal stock and the triggers were bridged the same way close to the top so when you pull the center trigger it would simultaniously fire all three guns (no way to fire individual barrels) i bet that would HURT

Sylvan-Forge
September 22, 2008, 07:40 AM
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

:D

Dimis
September 22, 2008, 04:16 PM
oh and as for my sig i know youll be ready lol

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 22, 2008, 04:41 PM
"You're THAT guy?!"

Lol, priceless! :D :D

Deer Hunter
September 25, 2008, 09:46 PM
Here's an update: I took it to the range today!

I had a special guest for this range trip, though. THR's very own Nolo was with me. First time for him to shoot a lot of the guns I had (finn M39, FAL, Saiga, handguns, etc). But I took the 1740 because I missed the cheek-splitting grin it gives every person that shoots it.

Nolo was no exception.

His sickly-grin and rapid action of the pump translated to, "I want moooore!"

:D another victim of the 1740's charm :D

Dave McCracken
September 25, 2008, 09:51 PM
We need pics!!!!

Deer Hunter
September 25, 2008, 09:54 PM
Sorry Dave! Didn't have a camera with me at that time!

Maybe I can get my girlfriend over here to pose with it...:evil:

jordan1948
September 30, 2008, 01:13 AM
Alright that settles it I'm building one as soon as I get another job lol, my dad'll most likely chew me out up one side of the Mississippi and down the other but who cares lol

Deer Hunter
September 30, 2008, 01:02 PM
Jordan,

If you are ever in my part of Texas, I'll let you shoot it. :)

jordan1948
September 30, 2008, 02:09 PM
Shwate, wish I'd a seen this a while back, I was just in Houston lol coulda made a detour

Hans Esker
October 16, 2008, 12:50 AM
If you go with a single rather than dual bayonet, I nominate the Swiss Engineer's bayonet.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=2846764&postcount=9

Lewis130
November 10, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hmmm....the thought of two bayonets on this is fantastic. Do you think it would be theasable to mount a double action revolver on the forend, doubling as a verical pump and extra firepower?

PTK
November 10, 2008, 05:07 PM
Do you think it would be theasable to mount a double action revolver on the forend, doubling as a verical pump and extra firepower?

Feasible AND illegal without registering it as a SBR. :)

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
November 10, 2008, 07:38 PM
thats retarded, in a awesome way.

jordan1948
November 10, 2008, 09:53 PM
Or a short barreled shotgun on the front and you can mount it to the top of a truck for all those pesky zombies lol nah but this shotgun is awesome

tplane37
November 15, 2008, 01:18 AM
I followed a link here from IllinoisCarry.com/ We usually discuss advance Concealed Carry in Illinois, but we enjoy the cool links like the one to this thread as well. Awesome work. And as to a name, I make a motion for "Bertha" (she's big, mean, and I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of her rampage.)

As to the butt stock idea, here are my thoughts, take them as you will. Get you a thumb-hole stock to mount centered up. Get you a 1/4" steel or aluminum plate (your buddy with the MIG should have a torch set up) cut the plate down and round the ends, set this plate up to mount to the factory stock locations of each gun (joining them together, giving you your desired rear support). Then drill out in the center of this plat to mount your thumbhole stock. At this point (depending on how clean the plate comes out) either paint and stain where needed, or you could go down to your local auto parts store and get you some fiberglass to "blend" the plate into your newly center stock. The fiberglass wouldn't need to have much reinforcement since it would all be for cosmetic appeal. this would also allow you to return both 870s to stock since you are using factory mounting points.

I also vote for two bayonets. You may be able to fabricate a bracket to mount an AR upper rail in the center of this creature for your additional attachments. And as for the pump action....what do you think about a pistol grip up there? (fixed or fold down). And by the way, in case you couldn't tell from my rant, my brain is going for building one of these myself, since I did have my mind set on an 870 Tach 2 with a knox stock....but what you have created is much cooler!

Two questions though...1. Anything to remember to keep from getting nailed in the head with the spent shells out of the left side? and 2. I noticed in the beginning that you had issues with the shells getting caught up when ejecting, how did you solve this?:cool:

Deer Hunter
November 16, 2008, 06:50 PM
And the thread lives!

Tplane,

Good advice. I'm working on a few designs right now to make this a more commercial project piece, and the thumbhole stock is in one of them, I assure you.

As for the LH ejection, it doesn't hit you when you work the action, so you're fine.

Also, I had some problems with cheap Remington birdshot sticking occasionally in the left handed gun. That was mainly to do with the "newness" of the gun. A case or two later and it's smoothed up nicely.

Hans Esker
November 18, 2008, 01:09 AM
It just occurred to me that this thing needs a pintle mount or tripod or somesuch.

Diamondback6
November 18, 2008, 05:43 PM
DH, Tplane's idea's very similar to the "joined stock" I was envisioning, although I had been thinking PGO inboard/conventional outboard with the pieces structurally blended together like what the Twin Mustang was for WWII fighters.

I'm also imagining a Thompson vertical foregrip on the pump, maybe Picatinny rails all around--say three along the top, one on each side, and one each side of the pump plus two more below?

gvnwst
November 20, 2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, just found this.

:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

This is cool. totally cool. like, whenareyougoingtomaketheinstructionscauseiwanttobuildone cool.:D(translated: When are you going to make instructions cause i want to build one)

Deer Hunter
November 20, 2008, 10:57 PM
Gvnwst,

Patience. Organic chemistry, molecular and cell biology, the ER, side-businesses, and life in general has made me a very lazy (sidetracked) person.

I'm going to get with a buddy of mine and draw up some technical stuff soon.

voytski
December 27, 2008, 03:53 AM
Have you tried having the left-hand safety switched out for a right-handed one? Or you could change the right-hand one to a lefty, whichever you prefer. This would enable you to use your pin idea, and probably for under $30. Keep evolving your design, this is how great designs are born. Don't let limitations of your current resources stop you from designing your ideal creation.

Your next assignment - side-by-side Remington 11-87's. Twin-barreled semi-auto shotgun madness! *drool* So what if it would be at least double the cost of your current project...

Snaps
December 30, 2008, 12:37 AM
haha, man I want one.

I don't know why I do, but i know i want one

UlfZwulf
January 1, 2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe I can get my girlfriend over here to pose with it...

Yes, please!

shotgunjoel
January 1, 2009, 01:06 PM
voytski, why would you buy new safties, just switch the 2. Then you would have what you are talking about without any expense.

n00tz
January 1, 2009, 04:41 PM
I joined the forums just to see the images you posted after following here from a StumbleUpon link. This is by far the coolest shotgun mod I've ever seen.

Reverend_JD
January 1, 2009, 11:40 PM
I stumbled here too and I think I am goin to have to build one of these myself...

So Deer Hunter where in Texas are you Im down in San Antonio

JD

Deer Hunter
January 2, 2009, 02:42 PM
Well well, the thread lives!

Alright, I'm talking to another member of this board about turning out a few "kits" where you'll be able to turn a LH and RH 870 into this. I'm working on designs right now. It may take a while, but I believe that I can get a few kits cobbled up with this other guy's help.

Reverend,

I live in College Station.

Voytski,

I've been looking into fixing the safety. Your idea is very doable. I would just need to find a safety online and replace it in the LH gun's trigger group.

gvnwst
January 2, 2009, 02:50 PM
Deer Hunter--will the kits be for sale, or just for a few more friends? If for sale, how much do you think they will run.

PA4476
January 2, 2009, 04:29 PM
You couldn't use a 37 Ithaca because there are no pins running through both guns that could be lined up and used to hold them together.

And with a 1100 or 11-87, you can't put a pistol grip on them because the bolt return spring tube runs down into the stock.

PA4476
January 2, 2009, 04:37 PM
As for a kit, looks to me like you need:
1 right hand 870 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119834918
1 left hand 870 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119896859
2 bolts to replace the trigger group pins, long enough to reach through both guns.http://www.napaonline.com/
1 Remington upland stock for the left hand gun
1 pistol grip for the right handed gun.http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119746089
And some tubing and scrap metal to conect the pumps together.
1 baseball bat.http://cgi.ebay.com/CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-LOGO-MINI-WOOD-BASEBALL-BAT_W0QQitemZ390020681921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item390020681921&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1209%7C66%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318

You can buy everything you need except the forward pump assembly. And anyone with a wire welder can easily make that.

shevrock
January 2, 2009, 04:47 PM
Just found this topic. what in gods name inspired this besides a game. :) either way it's awesome. i would love to see this with the simplicity of a Mossberg 500. :) Time to find a lefty Mossberg. or not.

Deer Hunter
January 2, 2009, 04:49 PM
No prices or anything. Right now it's up in the air.

And PA, you're right about all of that. Since I'm going to have a few nice pieces of equipment to work with, I will be able to make parts and pieces that look and work a little better than what I cobbled together.

Having said this, I believe I can get an 1100 or 11-87 to work. It'll just be a more interesting design.

I'm taking it out today to see if I can get a white-tail with it. :)

PA4476
January 2, 2009, 06:11 PM
Just use a 1100 lefty and a mod 58 or 878 right hand. You CAN put a pistol grip on a 58 or 878. Since they have the gas system built into the mag tube. You will only have 3 shots, but you will have two guns, so at least 6 shots. And automatic, no pump jamming. Put a really good recoil pad on it and hook the triggers together, fire both bbls at the same time.

Reverend_JD
January 4, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have a few ideas since this has givin me a base to work with on this...

I have an 870 and 870 clone that I am goin to throw togther, not for usable purposes but to check spacing for a forend assembly.

My 870 clone was one of my fun projects and doubleing it up with a LH one should work fine. Goin to have to look at spacing for the forends togther to see if I can make something to have the vertical forend grip put in it.

Im goin to start with this one and go from there.

JD

Deer Hunter
February 6, 2009, 06:10 PM
Update:

I ordered a right handed safety to put in the left handed trigger group. Once that's done, I'll fix some kind of bar traveling across the space between the safeties so I can use both safeties as one.

CoRoMo
February 6, 2009, 06:51 PM
First day I laid eyes on your baby, and I think it's awesome.

Wilson Combat will soon rip your idea and have these things out by the thousands.:p

Hungry Seagull
March 20, 2009, 07:21 PM
Oh my goodness. A dual pump barreled shotgun.

*Pops Oxycodin

Now Im ready to try it out, now where is it? Quickly before I lose consiousness.

Bufford t. Justice
March 21, 2009, 12:37 AM
This awesome abomination needs to belt fed from both sides.....:evil:

Gunfighter123
March 21, 2009, 02:54 AM
Deer Hunter ,
You are THAT GUY !!!! I have seen bits and snippets of your creation but just today I got to read the whole "labor of love" for your 1740.

It is a idea ahead of it's time !!!!!!!

Now , ya got me looking for a left-hand Rem. 1100:banghead:

Hope you could start some kind of conversion kits to sell -- a few people are doing well marketing Saiga S-12 stuff.

I think you have a bright future -- best of luck.
Gunfighter123

Hollywood Marine
March 23, 2009, 02:44 AM
DH I saw a double barreled bolt action African rifle in Shooters Bible some time ago, but your creation is much more appealing. Besides, who needs six shots with a .500 nitro express?

Deer Hunter
March 24, 2009, 03:19 PM
Better quesiton: Who can afford six shots of .500 NE?

An update: Safety button came in. However, all gun projects (and other projects that consist of anything fun whatsoever) are put on hold as I desperately scramble to pull my ass out of the fire and flames of 4 tests in 8 days.

College is mean.

1KPerDay
March 24, 2009, 04:05 PM
College is mean.
Try real life. ;) :D

Deer Hunter
April 9, 2009, 07:45 PM
Update for you guys still following this project.

It's been slow, but now that I have a little time before a next round of tests and papers, I had a little time to myself this afternoon.

After working on a few bicycle frames and parts I have in my backyard (another side-business), I decided to head inside and switch out the safeties on my LH 870. It took a bit of head-scratching, but I figured it out and it came out pretty easily. New safety is a bit rough, but it's loosening up pretty nicely.

Next was to find something that would fit between the two safeties and be durable, while maintaining the same diameter as the safeties. Could only find an old allen wrench I wasn't using. So I broke out the Dremel.

Couldn't find my cutting blade attachement :banghead: so I used my grinding wheel :neener:

Then I grinded to size. fits in there pretty nicely.

I've got some hard epoxy stuff that I'll use to attach the piece to one of the safeties. I will only attached it to one right now, since if I wanted to take the trigger groups out I want to still have them seperate. I think this will be easier for cleaning.

Here's the piece. It's a tough little guy.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P4090292.jpg

Now I have no more time because the girlfriend wants grilled shrimp tonight. I gotta start cooking! :o

More to come!

JShirley
April 9, 2009, 11:44 PM
Hadn't read this thread in (obviously) quite a while. Don't mind the poodle. It is my nemesis.

Trebor
April 9, 2009, 11:53 PM
Would this work with two Mossy 500's?

Do they even MAKE a Left Handed Mossberg 500?

Deer Hunter
April 10, 2009, 12:51 AM
I apologise for the bad quality in the clay pidgeon videos. Can't see what we were doing. It was fun nevertheless.

I don't know if they make a left handed mossberg or not. never heard of one.

Deer Hunter
April 10, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm letting the epoxy set as I speak. We'll see how well it works. If I'm not satisfied, I'm picking up some JB weld.

Deer Hunter
April 10, 2009, 12:48 PM
Video time! A little commentary about the gun. Video came out really grainy. I'll have to check the settings on my camera.

Oh, and about that damned cat... Not mine. A stray my roomie brought in.

I've thought a few times of using the shotgun on it. It's unbelievably annoying.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_P4100298.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=P4100298.flv)

1KPerDay
April 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
Sweet! Now do something similar for the slide release levers.

BTW, I was thinking of what would be involved in a Remington 2200 (like yours but semi-auto) and was wondering what the BATF thought about a single trigger that fired 2 rounds at once. Is it considered a machine gun, then? Or does it not count because it's technically 2 guns? Could I fabricate a handle/bar/mechanism that would pull both triggers with the pull of a single one?

Deer Hunter
April 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
From what I understand, since it is still two guns, it doesn't count as an MG. You arn't altering any receivers for FA fire. Plus, if the 2200 was an MG, then what would you call those crank-fired 10-22 gatling guns?

A trigger shoe would be easy to manufacture for a 2200.

scottishclaymore
April 11, 2009, 02:31 PM
That is just awesome. Next time I get down to College Station, mind if I look you up? I'll bring the ammo.

Deer Hunter
April 11, 2009, 03:16 PM
Sure, why not?

Always looking for a range-buddy.

shotgunjoel
April 11, 2009, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't the torque on your saftey bar from 1 gun's recoil be enough to break the bar?

Cap'n Jack Burntbeard
April 11, 2009, 07:29 PM
This shotgun is the stuff that legends are made of, one day I will build one of these.

Deer Hunter
April 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
Joel,

Since I only epoxy'd it to one safety, there was no torque.

Doesn't matter much, though. That little gel epoxy didn't hold up. I need some metal epoxy or JB weld. I didn't think it would, honestly, but it made for a good prototype.

I shot 8 rounds through it today at 25 yards at a filled jug of water. 7 1/2 birdshot. 2 rounds seperate, the rest both barrels at a time. The epoxy didn't like that recoil impulse. I'll fix it when I get back home.

No video guys :( It was a quick session at the deer camp while cooking burgers and chicken legs.

ezeerider
April 19, 2009, 07:52 PM
Awesome project. I think about wild stuff like this all the time, but you actually did it. Congratulations.

Doesn't matter much, though. That little gel epoxy didn't hold up. I need some metal epoxy or JB weld. I didn't think it would, honestly, but it made for a good prototype

I have my doubts that any kind of epoxy will last very long with the shock of recoil. Have ya thought about using silver solder, brazing or welding to extend the safety? Only problem with that is it would permanently modify the safety.

You could drill and tap the one safety buttons and then put a small screw in it with a piece of brake line or small tubing for a sleeve. If you ever wanted to change it back, just cut off the screw flush and paint it black.

I'm sure you'll figure out something that will hold up. You've shown quite a bit of ingenuity so far. I hope to see ya shooting it again soon.

r3volv3r
May 28, 2009, 01:40 AM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P1060352.jpg

you might be a redneck... :D

AcceptableUserName
May 28, 2009, 02:45 AM
broken wrist, anyone?

Diamondback6
May 29, 2009, 01:02 AM
Depends what you put through it... Magnums, probably; low-recoil, not as likely. Also, if you fire one a little before the other rather than both at once...

And if I understand Deer Hunter correctly, the weight should eat a lot of it. Two shotguns' weight firing one barrel should have the recoil of a pistol-caliber...

RX-178
May 29, 2009, 02:02 AM
And it does have a shoulder stock on it. The receiver on the other side of the camera's POV has a standard stock, the one closer has a pistol grip, so you're not taking the recoil into your wrist like a PGO.

Deer Hunter
June 2, 2009, 08:16 AM
I've shot both barrels with 3" magnumt 2 ounce turkey loads. It's more of a very strong push than really hard recoil. That's the strongest stuff I've ever put through it.

I've picked up some JB weld and when I get time (two summer classes, work, volunteering, moving room-mates, etc etc) I will get on it again. But it probably wont be this week.

havfunonline
July 6, 2009, 10:08 AM
Been following this for some months now, I can't truly appreciate such things as gun laws in the UK are extremely strict (even with a shotgun license, where they check your locked down gun security, no non military shotgun is allowed to have more than 3 rounds, including chambered ones).

I think what you're doing is awesome, and should definitely be featured in every single zombie movie ever.

Basically I have two questions, though.

Could you adjust the chokes so that one split horizontally, and one vertically to get an awesome spread?

How many rounds does it currently hold? and how many could it hold?

Diamondback6
July 6, 2009, 06:31 PM
I think standard 870's hold either 7 or 8, with 1- or 2-round extensions available. So between both actions, you're looking at a max of somewhere between 16 and 20.

As for spreads, you're thinking of duckbill attachments on the muzzle, which are more trouble than they're worth if you ever wanna put a slug down the bore or have the option to do so.

Wait till I build mine, with mag-extensions and twin 37mm flare-launchers... :evil:

Deer Hunter
August 2, 2009, 06:18 PM
Well I finally got around to fixing those safeties for good. Sidetracked by getting part of one of my fingers cut off (they sowed it back on, no worries), summerschool, and a Stevens 200/FN FAL project that I have had in the works (Who can afford an LAR-8 at today's prices?).

Food for thought: Epoxy is weak, JB Weld is strong. And it's doing a fine job at the safety.

I'm not seeing how it would ever come off now. Here is a picture and a little video.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/th_P8020079.jpg (http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=P8020079.flv)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/P8020078.jpg
Go ahead, make fun of my shorts. :neener:

This is such a fun "little" gun. I think the next thing I'll do is extended magazines. That would add some entertainment. :)

smithmax
August 2, 2009, 07:43 PM
Nice to see an update! Would those x-rail magazine's work on this? I think those would give you around 46rds...epic :)

Deer Hunter
August 2, 2009, 08:43 PM
Now there's a thought. 46 rounds? I could go through an entire 3-gun match and not have to reload!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 2, 2009, 10:08 PM
It Lives!!! :D

Diamondback6
August 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, but then the bayonet becomes problematic--either way, we gotta get Correia to issue some of the MHI boys a few...:D

Not to mention it'll wreak havoc on the rail-mount lights and lasers, to say nothing of the M203s and rocket-launchers...:eek:

Geneseo1911
August 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
I really hope this things makes it into the MHI sequal!

Deer Hunter
August 2, 2009, 11:00 PM
Haha, if he did I'd be tickled pink. But I don't think I'm that interweb-famous yet.

I am thinking about mag extentions then maybe some kind of bayonet.

Diamondback6
August 2, 2009, 11:02 PM
Whaddya think--dual GL's/ smoke&flare-launchers overkill?:D

Deer Hunter
August 2, 2009, 11:18 PM
Well, when you gotta make an entrance, might as well make an entrance.

Shotgunnin'
August 10, 2009, 02:35 AM
Are you gonna post up any instructions, I was up on the internet awhile back and I saw one of these and they've always interested me.

Deer Hunter
August 10, 2009, 01:01 PM
If you read the start of the thread, along with some other posts, you'll see the progression of the project.

Shotgunnin'
August 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
Okay, I think I may do it with the Mossberg 500 just to see what that would look like, but your idea came out great. Cheers.

1KPerDay
August 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
they make a left hand 500?

Shotgunnin'
August 10, 2009, 05:05 PM
Not sure I don't see any on the web now that you mention it.

Duo
September 8, 2009, 09:38 PM
seriously, you did very well on this. you probably got a little help from the fact that the 870 is so versatile. the military used to have the option of mounting an extremely short 870 to the underside of their M4's foregrip in the same arrangement that M203 grenade launchers ar attached to M16s.

seriously. the gun looks sick. even a professional gunsmith wouldn't have thought of this. combining a rifle and a shotgun has been done before, as i'm sure we all know, but slapping two pumps side by side -that takes GUTS.

however, if you REALLY want to make it look like something out of Doom, you could drill holes in a piece of thin sheet metal and have it cover the tops of both barrels like on a Mossberg 500, that would be downright stylish.
(1/8 - 1/4 inch thick would do it, out of somthing light weight, with a high melting point so it doesn't screw up the finish on the gun when you remove it to change barrels);)

you should also make a full punch list of materials and step-by-step instructions for anyone crazy enough to try and duplicate this stunt, because somthing like this is worth duplicating. a gun like that, even if it wasn't so unique, could easily sell for at least $4000. (if the baseball bat used for the pump was signed by Babe Ruth or someone like that, it would significanltly increase the sale value of the gun with a corrisponding loss in resale value for the baseball bat. LULZ)

have fun vaporizing quail in the meantime

Deer Hunter
December 18, 2009, 10:20 AM
UPDATED!

I got around to going out for a good after-semester range trip with my room-mate. We brought some .22s, his mosin, my AR, but I decided to take out my 1740. My new, shiny, practical 11-87 had been riding high as the new-shotgun-in-town for the past month, but there is something ridiculously satisfying about using the 1740 to shoot zombie-silhouette targets.

There were two silhouette targets that had been shot a few times up on the range, so we set them up and used them as our zombies.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=PC170131.flv

First is two targets, two headshots each while moving. He's a bit stiff at first, haha.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=PC170133.flv

Next I'm up. Mozambique the first zombie to stop it in its tracks, then run to the next bay to shoot another zombie (standard IPSC target we found and put up) in the head.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=PC170132.flv
Here is a video of him doing the same thing.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/?action=view&current=PC170134.flv

Just a video of him shooting the gun. Two doubles then a single. We ran out of ammo then.

It was a good range trip.

Dave McCracken
December 18, 2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks, DH. Handling a 13 lb shotgun is work.

RX-178
December 19, 2009, 01:36 AM
Hey, rule #1 of Zombieland:

Cardio.

Deer Hunter
December 19, 2009, 10:10 AM
Thank you, Dave.

It's not as heavy when you start shooting it. Mainly because you are having too much fun to notice.

JKimball
December 19, 2009, 10:59 PM
Deer Hunter,

It just occurred to me that your baseball bat fore stock is probably thick enough that you could drill out a hole to accept a flashlight. Except that the bolts holding it on might get in the way. But if you do another one, or as you design your kit, it might be something to consider. A mini-mag light would be simple, as it is switched on and off by twisting the end. But a flashlight with the push button in the back could be used too if you drilled an access hole in the bottom of the stock. That would actually go really well with a vertical fore grip as some were suggesting.

navyretired 1
December 20, 2009, 12:13 AM
That is one butt-ugly-cool twice gun. maybe a pistol grip as a pump handle would improve cool and looks.

Dave McCracken
December 20, 2009, 01:08 PM
Fun?

Oh yes......

Deer Hunter
December 20, 2009, 05:53 PM
Dave,

It certainly smokes my brother in law when we decide to dust off the clay-chucker. :)

Dave McCracken
December 20, 2009, 10:20 PM
Now there's a mental picture....

earlthegoat2
February 1, 2010, 11:40 PM
Copyright infringement? Sue em Deer Hunter.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=108946

Diamondback6
February 1, 2010, 11:46 PM
Ooh, Mommy, look at all the Fudds!*snort*

Do they hate everything not a "Hunting Iron" over there?

Deer Hunter
February 5, 2010, 06:26 PM
Earl,

I'm aware of their 1740. They made it a few months ago, I believe. However, their forend isn't connected and is much wider than would be comfortable.

I'm talking to a company right now to see how much it would cost to produce kits. Stay tuned.

1KPerDay
February 5, 2010, 06:41 PM
Remington does not show it on their site.

:D rofl

CoRoMo
February 5, 2010, 06:49 PM
It's been a while since I looked at this thread, but I've thought about it from time to time.

Reverend_JD
February 11, 2010, 05:57 PM
I need to get around to actually finishing mine. Have everything except the left handed 870. Need to stop spending money on other toys... Oh well when I get my tax return I am goin to get the LH 870 and finish it. Doin a vertical grip up front instead of the cut bat.

JD

KC9LDB
February 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
Am I breaking my one gun a month rule by building one of these?

LWYM425
October 27, 2010, 03:54 PM
I got pic hungry after i read through this, and was surprised that I was surprised that this hasn't been done by anyone else (before or after yours, DH).

Anyone want to sketch up what this would look like if it were two over-unders??!? yeah yeah, it would be heavy, but think about it... I think I will be for a while now

the stock might be a bit of a problem (again).

Gord
October 27, 2010, 04:26 PM
You do realize that the inevitable conclusion to this project will be mounting a Masterkey underneath, right? Baby Jesus won't sleep soundly otherwise.

Meta4
April 11, 2011, 12:03 PM
Sorry to revive the zombie thread, but I just came across this for the first time and I have to give you props. That's one wicked shotgun!

farasien
October 20, 2011, 02:13 PM
Deer Hunter-

I noticed in the near-beginning of the thread that you were having an issue finding (apparently you did) an 18 inch LH barrel for the build. I'm currently trying to design a similar build, but seem to have the same issue. My Rem 870 LH has a 28 inch barrel on it, and 18in barrels for it, really ANY barrel except 28 inch barrels are impossible to find. Did you have yours cut down or did Midway USA actually have one for it back then (they don't seem to have any now, as of this writing...)

USAF_Vet
October 20, 2011, 04:46 PM
wow, I'm only three years late to the thread, but this reminded me of an Aussie zombie movie I have. One of the feature weapons is a triple pump gun. I'm going to have to watch it and see more closely how it operates.
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ0MDM3NDU2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQxMTkyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

shaggy430
July 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
I used to follow this thread and was thinking about it the other day. Has anyone heard anything new on this? Also, what happened to Deer Hunter?

RX-178
July 30, 2012, 02:59 PM
I can tell you without a doubt that Deer Hunter is at least alive and well, even if he's not particularly active here.

As far as I know the 1740 is complete, by his standards and still in his possession.

Diamondback6
August 7, 2012, 06:25 PM
Are Remmy 870 barrels handed, or are they interchangeable between LH and RH guns?

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
August 7, 2012, 08:07 PM
They are "handed".

RudeMFRob
June 23, 2013, 01:39 PM
I saw this when I was a kid in a magazine and now I got one working on the 11-87 ver now so I used utg metal fore grips and cut them down to fit between the barrels and add shot extensions to both guns the m60 sling is great and the utg fore grips come drilled and threaded for rails I just got some hex set screws and some thread locker and done deal the receivers are connected with a steel plate and brought down to one stock this stock is going to be upgraded to a black hawk shock absorbing one soon and I love it if you can find a left hand 870 get started I love to hear your comments thanks

AI&P Tactical
June 23, 2013, 02:17 PM
You can reslove the safety issue by replacing the trigger plate assembly on the right hand gun with a right hand eject/left hand safety trigger plate assembly. You then have two left hand safeties and can bond a spacer bar between them to make on long bar. You now have a dual same directional safeties.

VVelox
September 5, 2013, 02:21 PM
Just thinking of the pump design. In regards to the wood part, the easiest thing to use most likely would be a 2x4. A few select passes on a router would make it work rather nicely. Two passes to round the edges and three more to hollow out the center to fit over the tubes.

Deltaboy
September 9, 2013, 06:22 PM
Give it a try!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 1740: My Project Begins." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!