Inexpensive Jacketed 38/357 bullets

PDA

ArchAngelCD
June 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
Can someone point me to a site where I can buy FMJ 38/357 bullets without taking a second mortgage on the house? I'm looking for a box of 500 for ~$30 but can only find them for ~$50. Are they still available for ~$30 or has that time past us too? Also, can I substitute Hard Cast bullets in place of FMJ bullets for .357 Magnum rounds? I want to shoot them through my Marlin 1892C but donít want to lead up the barrel.

Thanks in advance...

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive Jacketed 38/357 bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PotatoJudge
June 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'd go with hard cast (much cheaper, better quality for the money than jacketed rounds).

Many are rated to around 1600fps, so if you're looking for more power out of your Marlin you'll have to increase bullet weight and keep the velocity down.

You should slug the bore if you go with lead. Finding the right size bullets for your gun will keep leading down.

nicholst55
June 5, 2007, 03:08 PM
Look at the Remington and Winchester bulk bullets at Midway and such places. They're generally significantly less expensive than the name brands. Well, scratch that - I just checked prices! All bullets have gone up significantly in price recently in response to the rising prices of copper and brass.

Perhaps copper plated bullets like Rainier and Berry's might work for you. They're not a lot cheaper than standard jacketed, but they'll save you a few bucks.

ArchAngelCD
June 5, 2007, 05:35 PM
nicholst55,
You got that right, all biullets have gone way up!!!

OK, so Hard Cast will not lead up the barrel so I don't need FMJ. Can Hard Cast Round Nose Flat Point bullets be used for hunting or should I use JSP bullets?

gandog56
June 5, 2007, 07:22 PM
I don't know about hunting loads, but I've been shooting 148 grain double end wadcutters for target shooting for about 20 years in my .357 magnum, and never had much of a leading problem.

PotatoJudge
June 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
You can hunt with cast bullets, but avoid round nose. Try Keith style semi-wadcutters or something similar.

Keep the weights above 158 grains, probably more like 180 grains. I assume you hunt whitetail deer or pigs. You may try some 180 grain Hornaday XTPs for a hunting round and practice with lead.

Keep your shots as close as possible, and get good with your hunting load. I won't say a 357 is marginal for hunting, but it's no 30-06.

Gewehr98
June 7, 2007, 04:02 PM
I can't shoot cast bullets in my Desert Eagle, the gun is gas-operated and squirts them out over 1600fps. So I buy the 158gr jacketed RNFP bullets from Golden West, at $70/1000:

http://www.goldenwestbrass.com/GoldenWest/GoldenWestWEB/bullets.htm

I also run their 124gr FMJ bullets through my 7.62x39 handloads. $80/1000, no complaints here. ;)

lev83
June 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
may want to look at Berrys Manufacturing

CZ223
June 7, 2007, 04:56 PM
Those are darned good prices at Golden West. I think I am gonna have to give them a try.

ArchAngelCD
June 7, 2007, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for the good information...

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive Jacketed 38/357 bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!