Wolf Ammo Poll

PDA

12 Volt Man
June 23, 2003, 03:28 PM
I want to find out how many have actually used Wolf Ammo in their guns and have had failures. I also want to hear about those who have used it and had good luck with it. I don't want to hear about those that use it in AKs or Makarovs etc......... Have you shot Wolf in your ARs, your 1911s, and other non-commie guns?
Let's see if we can sort out how much actual experience we have with this ammo and how much of the info out there is plain BS that is just posted because someone else posted it.

Let's see if we can sort this out with actual experiences. We will most likely end up more confused ;)

I myself, am the type that has only used it in my "Commie Guns". The more I am reading about it, I am thinking I may use it for plinking ammo in other guns. This is what prompted me to create this poll.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Ammo Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sgt
June 23, 2003, 03:46 PM
Around here, it's not that much cheaper than Federal American Eagle, especially when it's on sale. So I've never bothered to try it. Besides, I'm left with Federal brass this way :)

Semper Fi, Sgt

braindead0
June 23, 2003, 03:52 PM
At the plate shoot we had this weekend, all the full-auto Uzi folks were shooting Wolf ammo, and not a single problem that I saw.. I'd estimate 3000rounds of it went down range while I was there.

I don't shoot the stuff however...

gunsmith
June 23, 2003, 03:58 PM
useless junk

KC
June 23, 2003, 04:03 PM
My shooting companions and I have gone thru thousands of rounds of the stuff in various calibers, in various guns. (Glocks, Rugers, M1A's, AR's, etc.) I have seen zero failures with the stuff, though the green paint and red sealer is a nuisance come cleanup time, but that's what I have a dunk tank for. Besides, it's hella easier picking up steel cases with a magnet than scrounging around on all fours after a weekend of heavy shooting.

KC

Ian
June 23, 2003, 04:09 PM
I had no failures with the case I used, but I only shot it in my Daewoo (which will eat stuff ARs choke on).

June 23, 2003, 04:11 PM
This topic has been brought up more than the 1911 vs. Glock threads.

I have shot it in various calibers including over 5000 rounds out of my ARs. NO problems at all. I have Bushmaster, Oly, Colt. I have chromed and unchromed chambers. Never had a problem. I have used it in formal shooting classes and never had a problem. I have shot groups with it at 200 yards, no problem. I have fired it in 9mm out of my machine gun. No problem.
No laquer, no jams, no duds, no FTF; no problems at all. In all calibers, I have fired close to 10,000 rounds of it.
In 5.56 it is about half the money of any thing else my dealer can get from his wholesalers. You can spend your money where you want to, I will chose to shoot twice the ammo for the same money with great results. I can't reload for what Wolf costs me. It costs about the same, but takes me hours to load 1000 rounds.

P95Carry
June 23, 2003, 04:15 PM
Only use .223 and 7.62 x 39 .. AK and SKS lap it up bu6t Mini ... hates it! Use something decent it groups ... shoot steel cased stuff ....... no group! Seems my 1:7 twist has a prob for some reason . I get tumblers too even at 50 yds!

Most handgun ammo is homeloads.

TheOtherOne
June 23, 2003, 04:20 PM
I've shot over 3,000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39mm and had one failure. The firing pin struck the center and left the usual indent, but nothing happened. I guess that's a primer problem. Only failure ever.

Scooter .45
June 23, 2003, 04:24 PM
Have used it some w/1911 and no problems. Dirty though and use something else when I've got the money.

AJ Dual
June 23, 2003, 04:58 PM
For the money, I'm quite happy with it.

Works great in all my "commie" guns. Seems fine in my Glocks, and Kel-Tec carbine too.

I've had chambering issues in AR's with the .223, perhaps an outsized lot, or something about the steel cases friction being different than brass, or the laquer, but if it was chambered manually it fired fine and extracted without difficulty. The friend with the case of Wolf sold it to someone with a Norinco 84s .223 AK and it worked great thereafter.

Some guns are just finiky with steel cases. Buy a small lot, and if it eats it, it should be fine. No real problems with lacquer or the sealants. Cleaning solvents that will take care of lead copper and powder fouling will clean Wolf fine.

Preacherman
June 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
I won't use it, for two reasons:

1. Clark Custom Guns (http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/) tell me that they're very happy with Wolf ammo because of the number of broken firing pins and extractors on 1911's and AR15's that they've had to fix after these guns were used to shoot the stuff!

2. Olympic Arms specifically warn on their Web site that Wolf and other steel/lacquer ammunition should NOT be used in their firearms, due to problems experienced in the past with this type of ammo.

Those are good enough reasons for me to avoid the stuff like the plague!

10-Ring
June 23, 2003, 05:13 PM
I only have one personal experience w/ the stuff. I have thankfully not given the company any of my money! I've used it once experienced alot of problems.

PlayTheAces
June 23, 2003, 08:20 PM
I picked up a couple of boxes of .45 at a show awhile back. I tried it in a series 70, but had feeding problems. A lot of feeding problems.

Next time to the range, I loaded a box into moon clips and tried it in a 625. It's a little dirty, but surprisingly accurate in the 625. I wouldn't try it again in an auto, but if I run across it again I'll pick up a few more boxes for the 625.

Mannlicher
June 23, 2003, 08:37 PM
I shoot a lot of Wolf ammo, the 7.62 X 39. I will shoot steel case ammo only in guns designed for it.

dude
June 23, 2003, 08:42 PM
My SKS just loves it. Hell, it may not even know there is any other type!!........as it has been shooting it flawlessly since the stuff was introduced to the market. Many (many) 1000s of rounds. CHEAP!

In a fit of insanity I did run a box of Wolf 9mm through my P7. It shot just fine but I'm not sure it was too happy about it.

I may or may not run some through my GI 1911 one day. It is not that much cheaper than the corrosive surplus stuff though.

aerod1
June 23, 2003, 08:47 PM
I only use Wolf Ammo in my Mosin Nagant M-44. It seems to work just fine, except it is hard to extract the empty case after firing.

Jim Hall

dude
June 23, 2003, 08:59 PM
You might have a headspace problem there aerod1, not a real big deal but if brass cased ammo empties are also hard to extract you might want to have it checked.

cool45auto
June 23, 2003, 09:51 PM
I've been shooting Wolf exclusively thru my SKS and Ruger P97DC without any problems so far.

JeFF D
June 23, 2003, 10:04 PM
Yugo SKS and VEPR K love the stuff, just recently ordered another case. Barnaul too, is Wolf and Barnaul the same exact thing but with different packaging?? They seem to shoot identical and they sure look the same.

lee n. field
June 23, 2003, 10:12 PM
Two failures related to Wolf .223.

One case stuck in a NEF Handi-Rifle. :(

One stuck case, one broken extractor in a Mini-14. :(:(:(

No failures in commie guns made to work with the stuff.

Not Worth It.

June 23, 2003, 10:38 PM
"Clark Custom Guns (http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/) tell me that they're very happy with Wolf ammo because of the number of broken firing pins and extractors on 1911's and AR15's that they've had to fix after these guns were used to shoot the stuff!"

You gotta feel sorry for someone that sends a gun to Clark's to have an extractor or a firing pin changed out. Removing the firing pin and extractor are a part of the basic cleaning on an AR. Neither requires any tools. Therefore, if you have to send your gun to Clark's to change out parts, that strongly implies to me that they know nothing about the rifle, and don't maintain the rifle.
That being said, I have fired at least 3000 rounds of Wolf out of one particular AR over the last year. I remove the extractor and firing pin every time I clean the rifle. Removing the firing pin requires removing one cotter pin with your fingernail. The extractor requires the use of the firing pin to push a single pin out. There is no undue wear to either part, and I check them each time pretty carefully. I also change out my extractor springs every couple thousand rounds at which time I am looking at all the parts of the extractor (extractor, extractor spring, and insert). I would know if they were going south on me. They arn't.

cordex
June 23, 2003, 11:01 PM
Didn't have an option I liked.

I've used it in many guns (from all the political spectrum) with no failures related to ammo. My SKS choked on it when I had some excess cosmoline in the trigger group.

Now I mostly use it in my commie guns.

556A2
June 23, 2003, 11:03 PM
Use it in guns it was designed for.

June 23, 2003, 11:24 PM
"Use it in guns it was designed for."

Exactly. If it was designed to be fired in 5.56, then fire it in a 5.56. If it was designed to be fired in 9mm, fire it in a 9mm.

blades67
June 24, 2003, 12:03 AM
I've used it, but not in my guns. I've had failures with it, but we didn't try to determine whether it was the laquer on the steel case or the sealant. I've also had failures with Federal, Wincester, Speer and Cor-Bon, if you shoot enough it will happen.

I don't buy Wolf because I reload and won't waste my money on non-reloadable steel cased ammo. I can reload 2500 rounds for what I'd pay for a case of Wolf .45 ACP from a mail-order company, not using Wolf ammo is an economics issue for me.

Mike Irwin
June 24, 2003, 01:38 AM
I won't use it based on far too many reports of problems.

There's other inexpensive ammo out there.

S_O_Laban
June 24, 2003, 01:49 AM
Okay folks, lets recap what everybody has said, YMMV:D

Redlg155
June 24, 2003, 02:15 AM
For AKs and SKSs I don't see any reason to use any other ammo out there. Cheap, reasonably accurate and extremely reliable. Oh..and I also used steel cased out of a Makarov, one I wished I still had.:(

Oh well..I'll just order another one. :D

Good Shooting
Red

MAKOwner
June 24, 2003, 03:01 AM
I have just over a 1000rnds of Wolf 9mm through my Taurus PT-92AF without a single malfunction of any kind. I does stink a bit and I don't know how accurate it is compared to other ammo (I have precious few shots out of it with anything other than Wolf) but it suits my needs just fine (just plinking).

firestar
June 24, 2003, 03:24 AM
I have used it in 9mm, .45acp, .223 and 7.62x39mm.

I have had several problems that I couldn't say for sure were the fault of the Wolff ammo in .223 and 7.62x39mm but at least on one occasion, the steel case jammed my AR-15.

I have fired 1000 rounds of .45 without a single problem. That was a big surprise for me.

9mm is the worst. I was getting about 2-3 duds per 100 rounds with Wolff. I think Wolff has hard primers or something because on a second or third hammer drop, it would fire. I have shot over 1000 rounds of this stuff in 9mm and I don't think it is worth buying. I am a cheapskate but not so cheap as to buy ammo that doesn't work. The Silver Bear seems to be a bit better, never a problem with this stuff in 400 rounds.

I only shoot the 7.62x39mm now and it seems fine. SKS and AK seem to think it is O.K. At $80 per case, I can't afford not to shoot it.

Another problem I have had with Wolff 9mm is the cases aren't crimped very tight and bullets tend to get pushed in the case too deep. The only problem of any kind I have ever had with my Beretta 92fs was when I decided to shoot a Wolff 9mm cartridge that the bullet had backed into the case by about 1/4". I wanted to see what would happen even though I knew it wouldn't be good. It had much more kick and noise and it jammed the gun tight. The slide wouldn't budge and the case was jammed into the bbl. I managed to open the slide by brute force and then I poked the case out of the bbl with my car antenna.

Never again. We all do stupid things once in a while.

Dionysusigma
June 24, 2003, 04:35 AM
I would say I've had no expreience with it, but...
when I picked up my SAR-1 last Friday, I decided I'd better get a lot of ammo (makes sense). I picked up 60 rounds of Wolf 7.62 x 39 for ~$6.00, and head on out to the range.

Upon arrival, the range officer approaches me as I get ready to load. He took out a magnet, picking up a round BY THE BULLET ITSELF. I was informed that I could not use ANY of it due to the bullet being made of steel (risk of ricochet; it was an indoor range).:eek: :mad: :banghead:

...ah well...

griz
June 24, 2003, 07:40 AM
With 45 I've had some heavily lacquered cases wedge into the chamber of a Ruger. The same cases in a 1911 functioned fine.
In 223 a Savage 24 would not fire the hard primers. When shoot in a Mini 14, the already dented primers did fire.

I still use Wolf ammo but I am cautious when testing it for the first time in a particular gun.

twoblink
June 24, 2003, 07:43 AM
The only gun I had wolf ammo through was my SKS, which I never cleaned either. hehehe

My other guns are actually valuable to me, and I want to keep their accuracy intact..

JohnBT
June 24, 2003, 10:05 AM
The Wolf .22 ammo is excellent. Of course it's not made by Wolf, it's made in Germany by SK-Jagd. SK is part of the NAMMO group that includes Lapua.

I have limited experience with the real Wolf.

John

12 Volt Man
June 24, 2003, 11:31 PM
btt

TNT
June 25, 2003, 06:12 PM
I have used it in 9mm, 45ACP, and some other "commie rifles" without a problem. It works fine for the price.

Andrew Wyatt
June 25, 2003, 06:18 PM
I have a mini-14 (180 series, in ned of refitting) that's only reliable with wolf, because the steel case rims aren't ripped off by the extractor like the brass cases are.

I use wolf in both my minis and haven't had any problems with it.

Dain Bramage
June 26, 2003, 10:45 AM
I've actually had my Makarov and PA-63 jam on the new-profile Wolf 9x18. The Makarov, at least, has never had a problem with other ammo brands.

I use Wolf SP's in my Yugo SKS like candy, with no problems so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Ammo Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!