What we fear

PDA

.41Dave
June 8, 2007, 03:36 AM
We sure have made progress in the last 74 years...

Things to fear – 1933:
Fear itself

Things to fear – 2007: (A partial list in no particular order. Feel free to add more)
Terrorists
Radical Islamists
Insurgents
Anything vaguely Islamic
Evangelicals
Pat Robertson
Mormons
The ADL
Jehovah's witnesses
Public christmas trees
Public nativity scenes
Public display of any religious sentiment whatsoever (especially if it is not in line with our religious sentiments, whatever they may be)
Anything vaguely religious
Fluoride
PCBs
Food additives
Food supplements
French fries
Cheeseburgers
Bacon
McDonalds entire menu
Dieting
Not dieting
Obesity
Anorexia
Spinach
Ebola
Bird Flu
AIDS
Doctors
Pen knives
Box cutters
Nail clippers
Tweezers
Anything pointy
Shampoo on airplanes
Hair gel on airplanes
Bottled water on airplanes
Expressed breast milk on airplanes
Any liquid on airplanes
Shoes
Cholesterol
Transfats
Soy
Cat food
Dog food
Violence on TV
Violence in movies
Sex on TV
Sex in movies
Evil Black Rifles
Handguns
Magazines that hold more than 10 rounds
Paintball “markers”
Toy guns
Pictures of guns
Drawings of soldiers with guns
Index fingers being pointed in a vaguely gun-like way
Anything else vaguely gun-like
Bullets
Patriarchal oppression
The Glass Ceiling
Radical feminists
Male chauvanists
Right wing fascists
Left wing communists
Pesticides on produce
E. Coli on organic produce
Carbon dioxide
Warm weather
Water
Sharks
Stingrays
Hurricanes
Floods
Tornadoes
FEMA
Republicans
Democrats
Mexicans
Guatemalans
Salvadorans
Darfur
Hezbollah
Cuba
China
Russia
Iraq
Iran
Syria
North Korea
All things vaguely foreign
Hurt feelings
Insensitivity
Political incorrectness
Mean words
Low self esteem
Depression
Anxiety (ok, maybe that is fear itself?)
Taking too much medication
Not taking enough medication
Vioxx
The FDA
The FBI
The CIA
The DEA
The BATFE
The NSA
NAFTA
The NAU
The USA PATRIOT Act
Any government acronym

If you enjoyed reading about "What we fear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FlaXD
June 8, 2007, 03:39 AM
I'm afraid of you.

doberman
June 8, 2007, 03:46 AM
I'm afraid he's right! LOL!:D

george29
June 8, 2007, 04:51 AM
I'm impressed.

helpless
June 8, 2007, 05:05 AM
The future.

jselvy
June 8, 2007, 05:52 AM
The Past
The Truth
Each Other

eric_t12
June 8, 2007, 07:27 AM
NOT the government

Definately DO NOT fear the government.

they are here for our protection.

Kali Endgame
June 8, 2007, 07:09 PM
Wow, you managed to sum up the nightly news. Also, you just gave me a preview of the next decade's news stories. Now I have more time to go shooting.

ArmedBear
June 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
1933?

Fascism in Europe (Spain, Germany, Italy)
Increasingly aggressive Japanese empire
Capitalism (yes there were many more Marxists then than now, because the world economy collapsed)
Organized Crime (why do you think NFA 34 went through?)
Invading space aliens
Unemployment
Bankruptcy
The Dust Bowl
Tuberculosis
Polio
Starvation
Stalin

And those are just off the top of my head.

We should learn to look past our fears BECAUSE of history, not because we don't know history.

Slinger
June 8, 2007, 07:17 PM
You forgot lead in paint.

elrod
June 8, 2007, 07:42 PM
Not to mention the aluminum hat shortage!:neener:

LightningJoe
June 8, 2007, 10:03 PM
What about spiders? Especially big, hairy ones. They're worse than anything on your list.

Ratzinger_p38
June 8, 2007, 10:07 PM
1933?

Fascism in Europe (Spain, Germany, Italy)

Bzzzzzt. Wrong. Spain was still in the 'Second Republic' in 1933. A little early for the Spanish Civil War, although after about 1940 it really wasnt fascism, more like a military dictatorship..if thats any better.

I always felt sorry for the Spaniard of 1937 - their choices were Communism or Autocracy. Most choice the latter.

SaMx
June 8, 2007, 10:16 PM
you forgot secular humanists :neener:

obxned
June 8, 2007, 11:26 PM
I don't fear much, but I do feel intense outrage quite often.

Sindawe
June 8, 2007, 11:40 PM
What about spiders? Especially big, hairy ones. They're worse than anything on your list.Why are you afraid of a cuddly little spider? Even the largest and most aggressive ones can't get much larger than a dinner plate. Their respiratory systems can't handle anything bigger, and the concentration of O2 in the atmosphere won't support anything larger with their current respiratory system.

Lets see, you forgot:

Global warming
Sudden onset Ice Age
Asteroid impact
Black Holes
Gamma ray bursts
Super Volcanoes

to name a few. :neener:

Tomcat47
June 9, 2007, 12:14 AM
Fears...............though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death....

The Sum of All Fears..........Faith! USA! Freedom! Patriotism!

The Cause of all Fears.............The evening news! liberalism! Communism

I thank GOD for those that are fighting for our freedom...There is no greater sacrifice, than for one man to lay down his life for another.

Good thread .41Dave
Good Addition Armed Bear

The list could go on and on!

A Different World....Bucky Covington

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin' outside

It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

It was a different world

yokel
June 9, 2007, 12:17 AM
Leftists who want to control your mind and program you with their fantasy world. :eek:

Autolycus
June 9, 2007, 01:17 AM
Tomcat 47:

So your saying we should say a prayer and swear allegiance to our country every morning?

So if we pray to Allah every morning and say the pledge of allegiance you would be ok with it? I dont want my children to have a religion forced upon them while they are growing up and nor do I feel that they should swear allegiance to the government every day. What if the government is corrupt or evil?

Remember that way back when we had a lot of different issues. Such as racism, feminist mistreatment, corrupt LE, and numerous other problems that many people conveniently overlook when they talk about "the good 'ol days".

.41Dave
June 9, 2007, 01:38 AM
1933 has only "Fear Itself" listed because that is when FDR gave his first inaugural address in which he uttered the famous line "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

I thought this was an interesting contrast to our current leadership (Both parties) who constantly ring the alarm bells and attempt to convince the population that everything from evil foreigners to our own dinners will destroy us and WE ARE ALL DOOMED unless, of course, we immediately curtail liberty, burn the Constitution, and promptly fork over unlimited power and lots and lots of cash to our politicians who will then and only then be able to save us from the bogeyman of the hour.

Im283
June 9, 2007, 01:50 AM
I fear reporters who mistake clips for magazines

Mannix
June 9, 2007, 02:05 AM
You forgot zombies :rolleyes:.

yokel
June 9, 2007, 08:46 AM
1933 has only "Fear Itself" listed because that is when FDR gave his first inaugural address in which he uttered the famous line "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

I thought this was an interesting contrast to our current leadership (Both parties) who constantly ring the alarm bells and attempt to convince the population that everything from evil foreigners...

Lest we forget FDR's decision to issue Executive Order 9066, the Japanese-American internment authorization, which he signed on February 19, 1942.

Titan6
June 9, 2007, 09:32 AM
Clowns?

On the approved list:
Anthrax
Bin Laden
Hijackers
Iran
Jihadists
Guns
Socialized health care
The slippery slope

Not on the approved list:
Mad cow disease
IEDs
Global Warming
$12,000,000,000,000 in debt
China
Pollution
Running out of cheap oil
Bankrupt social security

People fear the same thing they have always feared. The unknown and the unknowable.

Patriot-Brewer
June 9, 2007, 02:56 PM
The US Constitution
The Bill of Rights

SoCalShooter
June 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
I am definetly impressed.

Molon Labe
June 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
Frankenstein doesn't scare me!! But marsupials do...

Art Eatman
June 9, 2007, 03:54 PM
I got all messed up, I guess. I just haven't really found anything of which to be scared. Aw, like most Texas folks, maybe a Catholic with a football or a Yankee with a U-Haul...

I was stationed in Paris in 1957 during the Hungarian crisis. Top Secret clearance, so I read a lot of non-newspaper stuff as a lowly documents-control clerk. But I watched multi-star generals look worried about ICBMs. Ever since then I've been a bit hard to scare.

TB didn't kill me, and I've had a race car wrong-end-to at 150 or so, and then cancer failed to do me in.

I'm sorta blase about a lot of stuff that makes folks nervous.

But fear sells, whether it's the Guvmint, the NRA or the Brady Bunch: It's all about "They"...

Scroom.

Art

otcconan
June 9, 2007, 04:37 PM
No need to fear Jehovah's Witnesses. Just answer the door while you're cleaning your Ruger Single-Six. Or polishing your 3 foot broadsword.

Turkey Creek
June 9, 2007, 05:22 PM
My biggest fear lately is Paris Hilton :neener:

glocktoberfest
June 9, 2007, 05:39 PM
nor do I feel that they should swear allegiance to the government every day. What if the government is corrupt or evil?

TECUMSEH
are you one of those that also refuse to remove you cap during the playing of our National Anthem ?

Tomcat47
June 10, 2007, 02:10 AM
Tecumseh...... What can I say?

This is America! It was not founded upon Allah or Islam for that matter, and should we pledge allegiance to our country? YES! the government? NO
We are bound to uphold laws set in place, but remeber "We The People"
We elect the leaders and we remove them also!

As for prayer in schools... (or the lack of it) has created a Godless society in this country, which was founded upon the belief in God. This has led to the moral decay in which we live presently in which the minority opressess the majority! And the majority B@%#!*S about it but does nothing about it!

As for myself, I taught my children about God, Right from Wrong, Patriotism & the importance of it! I taught them of freedom, the price that is paid for it! I also taught them to respect leaders, teachers, elders and the president of the United States Regardless of politics.

There are cultures that literally risk their life and some die to get here, just to taste the freedom we so often take for granted. Then we allowed leaders to opress our childrens education so as to not offend the visitors, when we shoud have exclaimed This is one nation under God....If you are offended.. Go Home...!Instead we culled like a dog and said OK! we wont say the word God no more because it offends you.

In my day I never had a particular religion forced upon me in school. They were always just telling the stories of old in general that put a thought of God in our heads, and for some reason we never had gang initiations of killing the pizza delivery man on friday night to be accepted.

We the people are responsible for letting this country get out of control. And seems like we have just thrown in the towel.

Yes the good old days had there problems, but if anyone can say those times were in more diobedience or moral decay and lack of respect, they need to wake up, open their eyes and stop pretending.

When the time for action has come...The time for preperation has passed!

Zor Omega
June 10, 2007, 02:22 AM
wow I'm even more scared afte reading this!

Kentak
June 10, 2007, 02:33 AM
As for prayer in schools... (or the lack of it) has created a Godless society in this country,

That is just a ridiculous statement to make. I'm old enough to remember when there was prayer in school. My religious instruction came not from the silly school prayer before snack, but from family, Sunday School, and church. Those institutions must be doing a piss-poor job of teaching religion if all it takes is not having a government-mandated prayer in school to "create a Godless society."

I was a public school teacher for 33 years. It was my job to help your kid learn to do math. It's your job to do the religion thing, which I'm sure you'll do much better than I would.

Tomcat47
June 10, 2007, 03:33 AM
On the contrary....Kentak....I was not attacking your teaching ability! And I appreciate you teaching math to the kiddies!

However I did not say I wanted government to mandate a prayer..they did not mandate ours!

No prayer is silly!

And yes We as parents do the job of teaching our children about God.

But God & or the brief discussion of God in the school room of the past helped to assure the respect you deserved as a teacher, which I doubt you get now if you still teach.

And no you are right....that alone did not create the Godless society...it just helped start the snowball. I should have stated that it Helped to create...

James T Thomas
June 10, 2007, 02:55 PM
"Kentak:"

Since you have been retired for awhile, have you any idea what has become of this nation's public education system; it's curriculum?

You had taught reading, writing and arithmetic.

Now our daughters are taught how to place a condom on a bananna!
-But they seem unable to comprehend simple fractions; try getting 3/4 lb. of lunchmeat at the counter some time.
Our children are taught the new definition of tolerance: "Tolerate -that is the acceptance of the moral values they are taught in Sunday school as "hateful."
And do not "tolerate" any "hateful" Christians!
They are given confusion instead of rational thinking: "What is right for you may not be right for me." It is in reference to logic, and the foundation of right and wrong. Remember Cho?

"Tecumseh" was sceptical about the "good old days."
Well, did we have children mass murdering other children? Was the drug culture as prevalent as today? Etc. Compare and find a conclusion as to which you think is better.

If you do not want a religion "forced on your children," then what on earth do you think is being forced on the children of today? It's either the founding faith that established the United State of America and secured the blessings of Liberty for all the generations since then, or ...it's a "philosophy" -religion, any way you name it, of some one else. And just who is that some one else?

Recently, in the San Diego school district, a Moslem teacher has been brought into the schools to instruct the Moslem children; behind locked doors and drawn shades. The non Moslems have been removed from the "classrooms." This teacher is being paid by government tax money.
Where are you "Tecumseh?" If the politically incorrect teacher of old were to attempt this the repercussions would be head line news. Do you have any idea who or what these children -living in America and benefiting from it's blood bought freedom; are pledging their allegiance to?

glockman19
June 10, 2007, 03:04 PM
I fear Politicians more than any other group around.

hankdatank1362
June 10, 2007, 03:30 PM
I pledge my allegiance to the flag
of The United States of America,
and to the Republic, for which it stands.
One nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about pledging allegiance to the government, but rather to the ideals and philosophy that this great nation was founded upon.

All the whiners (i.e. Muslim, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.) that presume this is akin to praying to a false God or worshiping an Idol or whatever their excuse is, are, quite frankly, full of it, and should not be allowed to enjoy further stay in this country.

No one is forcing you to pray to a Christian God. But if your allegiance doesn't lie with truth, justice, and the American way, you need to be somewhere else.

Molon Labe
June 10, 2007, 04:16 PM
My only fear is not having enough ammo when the balloon goes up.

TallPine
June 10, 2007, 08:42 PM
Lions*
Tigers
Bears

;)

* this one isn't just a joke, we had a cougar just outside our front door last nite :uhoh:

jselvy
June 10, 2007, 09:44 PM
Oh My!!!

Jefferson

walking arsenal
June 10, 2007, 09:54 PM
Frankenstein doesn't scare me!! But marsupials do...

Me too. Because they're fast!!

Zedicus
June 10, 2007, 10:54 PM
otcconan: No need to fear Jehovah's Witnesses. Just answer the door while you're cleaning your Ruger Single-Six. Or polishing your 3 foot broadsword.

Unlikely to get much more than a good Sword/Gun Conversation out of them.
(Unless they come from ************ or DC)

SoCalShooter
June 10, 2007, 11:04 PM
Last time I checked whilst freedom of religion is mentioned it was more the freedom from oppression and the WILL to have liberty that really founded this country. As for god in the classroom, it does not belong there, it belongs at home where values start! Lets not get the whole religion is the only reason this country was founded. While all the founding fathers were well religious and believe it had its place they understood its dangers also.

Tomcat47
June 10, 2007, 11:56 PM
The American's Creed

I believe in the United States of America as a Government of the People, by the People, for the People; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; A democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many Sovereign States; a perfect Union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of Freedom, Equality, Justice, and Humanity for which American Patriots sacrificed their Lives and Fortunes.
I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to Love it; to Support its Constitution; to obey its laws; to Respect its Flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

For all Americans that do not have a copy of this, the Pledge of Allegiance, and the United States Constitution.....You Should! We can look at any of them any time! They are inside the Family Bible on the Living room table!

And also I think the forefathers of this country were led by the hand of God to create what we have......and maybe some of them were less religous than we know, but they still placed in motion a land like no other! One that all nations flow unto it.....thats not irony by the way.

jselvy
June 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
Owning a copy of the Constitution may mark you as a Domestic Terrorist, so I'd be careful of who you tell.

Jefferson

Baba Louie
June 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
Fear?
Mob mentality or group think... some call it the "Hive mind". It is not my "cultural norm".

Anyone who plays on the Fear Card to foment mob mentality in a direction that says it's OK to peel away civil liberties a little at a time.

Maroons in power. (Well, it's not so much I fear them, I distrust them and their actions)

Finally, people who "fear" too much. Life isn't safe.

Oh yeah, and some spiders. ;)

TallPine
June 11, 2007, 12:30 PM
a perfect Union, one and inseparable
I'll pass on that one, thank you :(

Kentak
June 11, 2007, 03:01 PM

Since you have been retired for awhile, have you any idea what has become of this nation's public education system; it's curriculum?

James T--

One of my favorite things to do is order a pint of potato salad at the deli counter from one of the kids. He or she will look at me blankly for a little bit and then ask, "Do you mean a pound?" I say, "Naah. I don't care how much it weighs, I just want a pint." (I should point out, that the plastic tubs they use in the deli are based on volume, not weight. They are 1/2 pint, pint, and quart sizes. But, the help isn't aware of that. They are told which ones to use for half pound, pound, etc.) Even some of the older help doesn't seem to know this.

No, I haven't been out of the classroom more than a few years, so, I know what the situation is like. I packed away the chalk after 33 years. A couple more, and I could have gotten a considerable bump in the pension. But, it was a matter of physical and mental health--dealing with the stress and toro-poop. Trying to maintain standards of behavior and scholarship with a population that, for many, didn't seem to care.

Yes, the curriculum does, in many cases, leave a lot to be desired, as do the teaching methods that sometimes are mandated. But, please do understand that public education is not monolithic across the country. There are many fine schools and excellent programs. Much of it is cultural. Schools in communities with educated, involved parents who haven't abandoned their role and responsibility, do very well. Sometimes, schools get a bad rap when the outrageous stuff makes the news, and all get painted with the same brush. I don't want to butt heads with you over the religion in school issue--I'm a strong believer in the concept that firm sep of church and state is for *everyone's* protection against govt intrusion into areas of individual liberty.

Anyway, go order that pint of potato salad.

K

RandyC
June 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
"... maybe a Catholic with a football or a Yankee with a U-haul."

Now that cracked me up.

wooderson
June 11, 2007, 05:06 PM
As for prayer in schools... (or the lack of it) has created a Godless society in this country

And yet 80% of Americans profess a belief specifically in the Christian god, and another 5% in other theistic religions. Of the remaining fifteen percent, most claim 'no religion' rather than atheism, which generally polls at less than 5%.

jselvy
June 11, 2007, 05:10 PM
Religion in any form is NOT the Government's Job.
As long as schooling is government controlled and mandated it is therefore not the school's job either.
BTW If you think there is no prayer in school, Listen real close just before the final exams.

Jefferson

James T Thomas
June 11, 2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks for your couteous reply. It is that kind of response that makes THR a good place.

Oh, yea, also, thanks for your dedication and effort in teaching the young people. I'm a combat vet; responded to the thread here on "who has been the the service?"

I would be happy to present many teachers with a modified "Combat Infantrman's Badge" in recognition of their valor in battle field of our nation's schools! Sincerely, thank you. I truly tell you I would not have what it takes to deal with the "kids" on a day in day out basis.

The topic of "Seperation of Church and State" has been written about here on THR often. You do realize that it is not in the US Constitution, is in the former Soviet Union Constitution, and was written by Thom. Jefferson to a Baptist church who were concerned about US government intervention in religious practice? Not vice -versa.

If you enjoyed reading about "What we fear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!