Mossberg slug accuracy?

PDA

lwh723
June 23, 2003, 07:16 PM
I thought there might be a few riflemen who could help me with this too, so I thought I'd put it up here as well:

I was wondering if anyone out there can give me any experiential information concerning Mossberg slug barrels, specifically the 24 inch, fully rifled type—group size, ammo used, etc.?

Thanks,
Luke

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg slug accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JeFF D
June 23, 2003, 09:11 PM
I have a Mossberg 500 with the bbl you describe in 20 gauge, and I've found it to be very accurate with Federal 3" Barnes Expanders. I was putting all my shots on a hat at a little over 100 yards (friends hat:D). I've tried just about all 20 gauge sabot slug loads and I've found the Barnes Expanders to be the best.

iamkris
June 23, 2003, 09:12 PM
I have a Mossy 500 12 ga with a 24" rifled slug barrel, cantilever scope mount, Bushnell 1.5x - 30mm scope on it shooting Federal sabots. It will print 1-1/2" groups from prone at 50 yards without blinking. Now I just need that deer to wander in front of my stand....

iamkris
June 23, 2003, 09:14 PM
Deleted because apparently I don't know how to work a computer...

Legionnaire -- I tried to edit my post to change my obvious error and instead double tapped. :uhoh: :confused: :D

Legionnaire
June 24, 2003, 08:34 AM
Whad'ya do, iamkris? Change loads between your first and second post? :D

Seriously, it does depend on the slug/load you use. I have a Mossberg with 24" rifled barrel. I could shoot 2.5" groups with the original Remington copper solids. The newer iteration won't go under 6" at 100 yards, though ... in my gun. So I'm now shooting Federals, that will do 4" at 100 yards. In my book, that's "hunting accurate." Never taken a deer past 50 yards with the slug gun, in any event.

lwh723
June 24, 2003, 07:22 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the info. For those of you looking for slugs to try, Lightfield slugs were highly touted by several other people on another board. I think I'll give them a try, if I can find some--I don't recall seeing them for sale around here.

-Luke

Legionnaire
June 25, 2003, 03:33 PM
kris, just funnin' ya. Good shooting with the Federals, though. Hope you get that deer!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg slug accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!