Arrrg! Broken hammer stud.


June 23, 2003, 10:53 PM
My model 19 started binding badly while dryfiring DA. I took off the sideplate to take a look and the hammer popped out. The hammer stud had snapped off the frame. Can this gun be saved????:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Arrrg! Broken hammer stud." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
June 24, 2003, 10:03 AM
Yes, but there are only two places that I know of where it can be repaired. The S&W Factory or

I happen to live less that an hour away from the folks at C&S, so that's where I took my 25-5 last summer for the same repair. If I'd had to send it to a shop, I'd have gone with S&W.

I'm sure there are other shops around the country that know how to replace a frame stud, but it's certainly not a job for your average local smith. In fact... the 1st three smiths that I contacted, all recomended sending the gun back to S&W.

Good Luck...


June 24, 2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info Joe. I made some calls today and a few local people recommended the Gander Mtn. smith here in Columbus. He is supposed to be real good. I talked to him, he said he would look at it and could most likely fix it. I'll give C&S a call as well. After looking at the C&S website today, I'm tempted to have them do the job and some other work as well. Ahhh's only money I guess.

June 24, 2003, 02:18 PM
I'd be careful here.
The hammer and trigger studs on revolvers are pressed in at the factory with special factory-only support jigs and dies.
Attempting to replace one of these without the tooling can, and usually will damage the frame, perhaps "fatally".

Better 'smiths like Cylinder & Slide make up their own versions, which are gun-specific.

I've seen a fair number of guns over the years that even "professional" gunsmiths tried to drive the studs out with a punch, and really screwed it up.

The fact that the Gander 'smith said he could "most likely" fix it, makes me doubt his competence as a revolver 'smith. He may be a crack rifle and shotgun man, but pistols are different. If you've got a bad heart, you go to a heart specialist, not your local GP.

I'd trust either C&S or S&W. I know for a fact they've got the expertise AND the CORRECT (non-generic) tooling.

June 24, 2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks. I'm leaning toward C&S. I've heard a lot of good feedback about them. I have a sneaking suspicion that Gander Mtn. would probably farm out the work to S&W and make 20% on top of that anyway. I plan on keeping this revolver for a long time. I bought it last year. It's P&R, hammer mounted FP, and was LNIB, with the original box,manual etc. (is that enough acronyms?). I've only shot about 300 .38sp through it. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a good going over by an expert anyhow. Thanks again.

Old Fuff
June 24, 2003, 03:09 PM
When S&W makes a frame the holes drilled for the various studs are made undersized so when the stud is put in they’re will be a tight press fit. If they have to replace the stud they use a slightly oversized one to insure they’ll still be a press fit. C&S know this and do the same, but your local gunsmith may or may not. If you go to anyone, other then S&W, be sure they use oversized studs. The area I’m referring to is that which is pressed into the frame, not the part the hammer (or whatever) rotates on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arrrg! Broken hammer stud." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!