CZ-52 problems

PDA

JediJJJ
June 10, 2007, 11:51 PM
Finally decided to get a CZ-52. Found one with the original finish and had it delivered last week. They told me it had a new after-market firing pin and the original grips had been cracked and were replaced with the black "military" ones. Overall it looked in good shape and I was happy with it.

Opend the tin of Romanian (84) 7.62x25 ammo I had "accidentally" purchased a couple of months ago (Gee Dear, I really meant to get 7.62x54r for my Mosin, must have hit the wrong button, and it can't be returned. ;)) and went to the range on Saturday.

Had problems from the beginning. The first time I racked it the slide did not close all the way. Tried racking it a couple more times, until it finally closed. Squeezed off a couple of shots and then the slide did not close again. Gave it a shove and it closed, fired the round, but when it ejected the next one got thoroughly jammed with the slide partially open. (Within 1/8" or so of fully closed.) Took several minutes of tugging and pushing on the slide before the round finally worked its way into a position where it could be ejected. The RO said it may have just been a bad round and I could probably continue but at that point I figured it was better to put it away. So, I chambered 10 rounds and actually fired 5.

Since I have found THR to be loaded with experts on just about everything, I would appreciate some advice. I haven't had time to field strip it yet and probably will not until Tuesday so any and all advice on what to look for is welcome.

Thanx
JJJ

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-52 problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ab4ka
June 11, 2007, 12:01 AM
I used to have a CZ-52 (that I wish I still had) that I never had any problems with...I wonder if the rollers may be going bad on you? I always kept mine well lubricated with a healthy dose of "Slide Glide" and it worked fine. Bad ammo (I don't remember what I had but it was awful...every other round needed a second hit) but great gun.

ZeSpectre
June 11, 2007, 12:24 AM
I have inadvertently become pretty familiar with the CZ-52. I always give the same "starter" advice.

1) Buy the Wolff 16.5 lb springs from Makarov.com (http://www.makarov.com/cart/52springs.htm)
2) Buy the machined firing pin from Makarov.com (http://www.makarov.com/cart/52parts.htm)

The spec for CZ-52 recoil springs is around 14 lbs. I've seen them as weak as 9 lbs! Needless to say that gun acted JUST like yours (never closing the slide back into battery).

Also as ab4ka said, check the rollers and make sure they are in good shape.

JediJJJ
June 11, 2007, 08:24 AM
I actually got this from Makarov.com. They said when they got it the firing pin was broken so they replaced it with one of their machined ones. Guess I'll have to look into the spring. Was going to order some of their hardened rollers but they were out.

Koblenz
June 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
I am wondering if the Romanian ammo might be the problem. It seems I have read that the CZ 52 was designed to fire a hotter load than the standard 7.62 x 25. Is there any Czech 7.62 x 25 ammo available?

BTW, don't dry fire the CZ 52. That's what causes the firing pins to break.

SeanSw
June 12, 2007, 01:59 PM
My cz52 would not reliably ignite the Romanian ammo until I shimmed the mainspring about 1/4" with hex nuts. Before it was about 20% reliable, now 100% ignition. I dry fired the original pin until it broke and replaced it with machined version. Occasionally the slide will fail to lock on the last round but feeding and ejection have been 100% with 7.62 Tok and 9mm. I've been told that new mags will fix the slide lock problem but my real concern is that the 7.62 ammo shoots nearly a foot low! It does group well if you can master the grip and trigger.

JediJJJ
June 12, 2007, 02:35 PM
I really hope it is not the ammo, since I have 1250 rds of the 1260 rd can left. I'll have to see if I can pick up some other ammo locally to give it a try. Will call Makarov.com today if I get out of work on time.

ZeSpectre
June 12, 2007, 02:39 PM
JediJJJ,
I have a ton of the Romanian ammo and have found it to be very good stuff. As I said above it's probably the spring, but I've also seen a situation where a refurbished gun was extremely tight on the rear section of the frame slide area. I had to take a moto-tool, felt tip, and some polishing compound and run over it a bit to loosen things up as it was causing the slide to hang. Wish I was closer, I'd take a look at it for ya.

Hoosier Reloader
June 13, 2007, 09:36 PM
You could check out the spring.
You mentioned that you didn't do anything to it prior to taking it to the range. I suggest that you give it a through cleaning & scrub out the chamber.
The 7.62 x 25 has a necked down case and a build up in the chamber could be causing the not going into battery problem.
I'd also check the ejector. An ejector that has a lot of grease/crud in it will not open up all the way and that will prevent the bolt/slide from going forward into battery.
Just my $0.02 worth. HTH

ZeSpectre
June 13, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'd also check the ejector. An ejector that has a lot of grease/crud in it will not open up all the way and that will prevent the bolt/slide from going forward into battery.

I think you mean extractor (the claw thing), the ejector is a solid rod that the shell hits.

Hoosier Reloader
June 14, 2007, 08:45 AM
Yep, I meant extractor. Thanks for pointing that out Z.

ZeSpectre
June 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
No prob, I do it too.

Good point on checking for crud and buildup in the chamber. I'm pretty fanatic about keeping mine clean so that thought never even occurred to me.

Praxis
June 14, 2007, 10:49 AM
Hm, never had any of those problems with my CZ52. The suggestions so far sound good. Only problem I ever had with mine was the pin for the extractor backing out after every 3-4 shots. Finally replaced it and now everything is great. Definitely look into replacing the spring and the firing pin. Makarov.com has a great competition firing pin and spring set. Made my CZ a joy to shoot, and really accurate too. I had to file the extractor a little in order to get the new firing pin to fit, but it didn't involve too much work.

ZeSpectre
June 14, 2007, 11:43 AM
Also thought I should post another discovery I just made that might also help with your CZ-52... Militec-1 lubricants.
(Okay others of you know already but it's a new discovery for me).

I'm posting on my trial in the "Great Lube! What is it?" (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3451760#post3451760)thread but here's my comment on using it on my CZ-52.

I can tell you at least one thing right off the bat. This stuff (Militec lube and grease) has already made a significant difference in my CZ-52. The slide, while still not easy (hey, it's got a 16.5 lb Wolff spring in it for crying out loud) is now probably 20% easier to rack. In fact my wife was able (barely) to rack it this evening and she's never been able to before. I also put the lube on all of the related trigger and firing pin parts and although the trigger is still mil-surp heavy it is definitely better than before.

Another interesting thing is that I treated the outside of the magazines for -the CZ-52. Both have a sort of a parkerized finish on them. After treatment (application and heating in a toaster oven) they aren't exactly slippery, but feel more like wax paper. That is to say they feel like they have some sort of lubrication on them even though dry now. It makes the CZ mags MUCH easier to pull back out of the gun.

JediJJJ
June 14, 2007, 11:36 PM
Just ordered the spring and rollers. Tomorrow night I'll strip it and give it a good bath. I'll also see if I can find some different, and probably much more expensive, ammo and give a box of that a try.

Looks like I 'll get to the range Saturday so we'll see if these changes make a difference before the spring arrives.

jrfoxx
June 15, 2007, 12:45 AM
I had the same prolem with mine.I instaled the Wolff 16.5# spring ZeSpectre gave a link for, and hat cured it.Also useda little grease I had for my M1 Garand on the rails, and that made it feel a lot smoother.

JediJJJ
June 16, 2007, 10:23 PM
This morning I field stripped it. Didn't see anything amiss. No crud collection, nothing obviously significantly worn. Gave everything a once over with Hoppes then a light coat of gun oil. Paid special attention to making sure the slide was oiled. I also disassembled one of the mags and cleaned the significant crud off the spring and inside the mag housing.

While I had the barrel out I checked the ammo by dropping the rounds into the chamber. 6 of the 20 rounds I checked did not seem to seat as deeply. I held those out.

Went to the range and fired the 14 "good" rounds without any problem. Also fired the 6 "bad" rounds without problem. Looks like I'm good to go. I'll put in the new spring and rollers when they get here. I'll probably put the old rollers on the 9mm barrel I got from AIM. I assume that will be a lighter round so I'll put the used ones there.

Thanks for the advice.

P.S. - I'd seen that Militec lube listed before but I'll have to get some now.

ZeSpectre
June 17, 2007, 03:07 AM
Just make sure you understand that you have to heat the militec treated metal a bit to "activate" the bond. In my case I put the parts in an old toaster oven (don't use one that you use for food) at 110 degrees for about 5 minutes.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-52 problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!