(CO) 11-year-old shoots father over chores

PDA

Drizzt
June 24, 2003, 12:21 AM
11-year-old shoots father over chores

FOUNTAIN, Colorado - An 11-year-old boy was arrested yesterday after he fired five shots at his father after an argument over chores, hitting him once in the chest.

The bullet that struck Steve Worley failed to break the skin, said Fountain Police Chief John Morse. Worley, a police officer in nearby Colorado Springs, was treated at the hospital and released.

His son was being held at a juvenile facility on suspicion of attempted murder and possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

Morse said Worley and the boy argued over chores, and then Worley left their Fountain home. When he returned, the boy fired at him twice from the living room with a .357 revolver, Morse said. One bullet struck Worley in the chest, and the other missed. As he ran from the house, his son fired three more times, Morse said.

The bullet that hit Worley may have been bad or had a light load of powder, Morse said.

He said the gun was not Worley's service revolver, but he had trained his son to use it and it was not locked away.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3508813&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

.357 to the chest, at what sounds like fairly close range, and it didn't even break the skin? What are you Kiwis feeding the cops over there?

If you enjoyed reading about "(CO) 11-year-old shoots father over chores" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USGuns
June 24, 2003, 12:23 AM
Drizzt, I believe that was in FOUNTAIN, Colorado, not NZ. You mean what are they feeding the cops in CO?!?! ;-)

TarpleyG
June 24, 2003, 11:31 AM
The bullet that hit Worley may have been bad or had a light load of powder, Morse said.
Worley should go play the lottery. Man! Fives shots and the one that hits him is a dud. What luck.

GT

RustyHammer
June 24, 2003, 12:46 PM
.... father's name: Clark Kent?

Cosmoline
June 24, 2003, 12:47 PM
Something smell fishy about this story. Very fishy. It reminds me of the time a fellow claimed some unknown goblins burned down his house, then shot him in the gut with a .22, but the bullet supposedly "bounced off."

Drizzt
June 24, 2003, 06:03 PM
well, I 'm reading a paper out of New Zealand, why would I have paid attention to a little thing like the dateline in the actual story??? :o

cool45auto
June 24, 2003, 06:18 PM
:what: That's about as lucky as you can get!

Mastrogiacomo
June 24, 2003, 10:53 PM
What a stupid bastard not to have locked the gun away -- why not just leave it loaded on the table. Is the kid driving his trucks too? Although this wasn't his gun -- wonder where the kid got it but I wouldn't teach my child to shoot until he's 13 or 14 -- depending on his disposition....:uhoh:

Thank God he lived through it and wasn't seriously hurt...or anyone else in the process of his son trying to kill him.

Zundfolge
June 24, 2003, 11:05 PM
This thing has been all over the news around here (Fountain is a little town close to Colorado Springs).

Sounds like the father got real lucky ... then again, I dont' think I'd call it lucky to be shot by your own son after arguing about chores even if you are hit by a dud :neener:

I think there has to be more to this story. The media is trying to play it up as a "normal kid gets hands on gun and goes berserk" kind of thing. I'm thinking however that there is probably something seriously wrong with the kid (and probably the father too. kids don't usualy screw themselves up).

What a stupid bastard not to have locked the gun away
The local news was saying it wasn't the father's gun ... in fact there's a big question as to where he got the gun.

Apple a Day
June 25, 2003, 10:17 AM
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the fact that the father is a police officer. Perhaps it's a good thing that wasn't his service revolver and he wasn't using it on the job to protect himself or the public. Bad situation all 'round.

H Romberg
June 25, 2003, 11:35 AM
It was probably an Airsoft.

2nd Amendment
June 25, 2003, 12:20 PM
The guy is a cop so obviously the cops would be called but I'm wondering, if this happened to me and I was still standing after the boy was out of ammo, would I have called the cops? Or would my loving son and I have had a very, very long private discussion... :fire:

cordex
June 25, 2003, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't teach my child to shoot until he's 13 or 14 -- depending on his disposition....
Who said bulletproof-dad taught his kid to shoot? Maybe dad never sat down with the kid and made sure he respected firearms.

Drjones
June 25, 2003, 12:59 PM
Am I the only one who started chuckling and laughing as soon as I read the headline? :evil:

Mow the lawn! Take out the trash!

NO!!! Bang bang bang!

:evil:

wingman
June 25, 2003, 01:06 PM
What a stupid bastard not to have locked the gun away -- why not just leave it loaded on the table. Is the kid driving his trucks too? Although this wasn't his gun -- wonder where the kid got it but I wouldn't teach my child to shoot until he's 13 or 14 -- depending on his disposition.

I was taught to shoot at age 6, 22rifle,
moved up to a 20 ga. single barrel
at 7, was in the woods by myself at
9, now as a senior still shoot and never fired a gun in anger, never wanted too. It's not the age, it's concern for others
and family actions.
We are losing it folks make no mistake....:cuss:

Dorrin79
June 25, 2003, 01:44 PM
age is irrelevant.

Maturity is key.

I got my first BB/pellet rifle at the age of 6 (we lived in suburbia, so no .22's in the back yard)

So did both of my brothers.

None of us ever had an accident, to say nothing of deliberately shooting someon else.

My bet is that there is something seriously wrong with the kid, and possibly the parents as well.

Zundfolge
June 25, 2003, 03:57 PM
$10 says the father is an SOB that we would probably want to shoot if we got to know him.

Not that he deserves it for forcing the kid to do chores (although I doubt thats the real reason deep down).

Kids that are so screwed up that they would try to kill their father over something as minor as chores are not born that way, they are made.

Mostly Harmless
June 25, 2003, 04:09 PM
I hope my kid doesn't get to see this.

He got his Boy Scout Rifleman at age 11. Started shooting handguns a few months later.

Now tells me "I'm more of a long gun sort of person mom", and wants to be a USMC sniper.

I just hope all the gun safety education stuff holds, because we have some fine arguments about chores. Must be something to do with being 13 and testosterone-poisoned. I do hope (a) he grows out of it and (b) I live that long....

:D

J.

cordex
June 25, 2003, 04:14 PM
Mostly Harmless,
First, welcome to THR ... and great name.

Second, Don't Panic ... your kid sounds like a good one.

(okay, I just wanted to say Don't Panic)

Dannyboy
June 25, 2003, 04:39 PM
Who said bulletproof-dad taught his kid to shoot?

He said the gun was not Worley's service revolver, but he had trained his son to use it and it was not locked away.
Last sentence of the article.

Mastrogiacomo
June 25, 2003, 04:56 PM
According to the Boston Herald -- the father taught the boy to shoot. Thankfully not well....:uhoh:

He didn't lock his own guns up which is why I called him a stupid bastard but the boy got the gun from some place else. It wasn't one of this Dad's and it's probably a good thing too because the idiot likely keeps them loaded too...:scrutiny: As far as the boy is concerned, the Dad may be a dolt but it's not to say he screwed up the kid -- some kids are born twisted. Remember those Flordia boys that beat dear old Dad with a baseball bat? Rosie defended them, so yeah -- must be the father's fault....:rolleyes:

jacketch
June 25, 2003, 05:41 PM
Sounds like it must have been a 357Sig:D

Dannyboy. And who do we know will win again this July?

rock jock
June 25, 2003, 07:12 PM
"Take out the papers and the trash, or you won't get no spending cash, if you don't scrub that kitchen floor, you ain't gonna....BOOM!!, uh, gasp aaghhh" [thud]

winstonsmith
June 25, 2003, 07:45 PM
Wow.

This is just ... I'm just speechless.

Any kid that can stomach contemplating shooting his dad is seriously FUBAR.

I think that the dad should have that long private discussion that 2nd Amendment was speaking of with his son. I hope he has already.

Mastrogiacomo
June 25, 2003, 09:05 PM
Hopefully the cops will explain it better than the boy's father did. He evidently forgot to mention about responsibility...and since the boy clearly has none -- some time in a lock up would be a good idea.

Carlos
June 25, 2003, 10:47 PM
Yeah, lockup until he's age 21, then free to go on his own. If I were the father, I would not want the kid back ever. While sitting in his little cell in Juvie, he can think about it for years.

Too bad they couldn't try the kid as an adult.

digex
June 25, 2003, 11:31 PM
This story hits very close to home for me. In 1981, my uncle (who was 17) asked his dad (my grandpa) if he could go play pool with his friend. Grandpa said no. My uncle went into his room and loaded up his little marlin .22 and came out and emptied it into grandpa, who was sitting 12 feet away in a recliner reading the paper. There was more to the story than that, of course, they were all pretty screwed up and guilt was everywhere, but still a scary situation for me to have heard about at that age. As far as age to shoot goes, my daughter is 5 and she has her own .22 rifle. It will be my son's when he gets a bit older and she graduates to something a bit larger. Teach them young, teach them well.

firestar
June 26, 2003, 02:35 AM
$10 says the father is an SOB that we would probably want to shoot if we got to know him.

That what the smart money says.:D I wouldn't take that bet.
Some kids are a problem even without having bad parents but not very often. Most of the time, the parent is a big reason why the kid is messed up. It is a shame because the kid has to deal with what he has done even though it could be argued that it was not really his fault. The buck has to stop somewhere I guess.

Dannyboy
June 26, 2003, 03:28 AM
Dannyboy. And who do we know will win again this July?

I have a pretty good idea.

280PLUS
June 26, 2003, 08:52 AM
no tv for a week...:what:

and there i thought I had problems with a kid...

of course, all my stuff is in the safe...

for good reason i see...

:uhoh:

stevelyn
June 26, 2003, 09:05 AM
Maturity and discipline is the key.

Sound like a spoiled brat who has always gotten his way too often.
I suspect the circuits between his a$$ and brain have not been closed enough times.:scrutiny:

Navy joe
June 26, 2003, 12:07 PM
I don't have 10 bucks to lose either. A responsible parent woulda never raised such a fruit ;) Another clue he's not responsible:

His son was being held at a juvenile facility on suspicion of attempted murder and possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

The school of parenting I was raised under and believe in would translate that statement to read:

His son is being held at a juvenile facility to prevent serious bodily harm from occurring...to the son.

280PLUS
June 26, 2003, 05:38 PM
the pistol was surgically removed from an internal area on the son's body where pistols don't normally fit...

gunsmith
June 27, 2003, 03:44 AM
I managed to not shoot anyone...the
dad probably beat the kid one to many times...
just because you can reproduce doesn't mean you should

jungleman
June 27, 2003, 04:46 AM
I guess that the son REALLY did not want to do his chores.

Hal
June 27, 2003, 05:38 AM
Smart money?

$20 says the kid is on Ritalin or some other crap.

jeff4570
June 27, 2003, 07:30 AM
Very possible it could have been something like target loads , I used a S&W model 19 in .357 , light loads (700fps) 148g.hbswc . It certainly could kill you but you could be lucky with the right clothing. Good thing for Daddy he didn't teach that kid to shoot streight !

Missouri Mule
June 27, 2003, 08:25 AM
Sounds to me like that Boy may just need a 7 year time out making little rocks outta big ones.

I am waiting for the full story though. :what:

seeker_two
June 27, 2003, 11:37 AM
Were it my son, Junior would have greater problems than chores to worry about...

Malone LaVeigh
June 27, 2003, 02:24 PM
I taught my son at an early age. But, remembering some of the rages he would go into at that age, I'm glad I always kept them locked up. A boy that age can be worked with, and most don't end up doing really stupid things, but they really aren't capable of rational thought, either.

willyjixx
June 27, 2003, 02:46 PM
hate to sound like im sticking up for the kid but im wondering if he was abused an scared to death of another "Talking Too" about his chores that might have ended up with a few bruises.

im also figuring that the discussion of guns was prolly this is my gun dont touch it speach that is a generic to kids from parents with not enough time or patience. or maybe lil jimmies friend johnny swiped his daddys wheelgun to loan incase of this.

i think they both should be in custody an the mother interviewd till an outcome is figured

jsalcedo
June 27, 2003, 09:47 PM
I agree it was probably an airsoft.

If it were a really really smart kid he may have reloaded one near squib on purpose and counted as he fired the other ones into the wall then the squib into his dad.

Its far fetched but so is being hit by one dud.

Where's my Reynolds wrap turban?

Justin
June 27, 2003, 10:02 PM
Smart money?

$20 says the kid is on Ritalin or some other crap.

Yeah.
Because we all know that any medication of this sort takes away a person's ability to reason, and absolves them of any personal responsibility.

:fire:

Hot brass
June 28, 2003, 01:00 AM
I bought a .22 for my first kid before she was born(californiagunnut). Bought a .22 ss for my son when he was 3yrs old. He is now 10 and owns a bb gun,2 .22 rifles, 32-20, 38spr,.25auto, 7mag, and many many more.
All but the bb gun and pellet gun is in the gun safe, I and I alone have the combination.

If you enjoyed reading about "(CO) 11-year-old shoots father over chores" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!