Safari Sling

PDA

ArmedBear
June 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
I tried this in the Rifle forum, but no replies.

Anyone here tried one?

Looks like it could be nice around here.

Feedback about it?

Thanks!

This thing:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/07/23/i220723sn01.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Safari Sling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LAK
June 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Just observations and MO. The only time I ever sling a rifle is in the traditional way, and only when "travelling on foot with a rifle". If I am hunting, or anywhere there is a reasonable possibility I might have to use a rifle for any purpose - I unsling it.

The only exceptions I can see to this are when climbing, descending, or overcoming some obstacles. A sling is a nuisance in undergrowth, and is a nuisance in general IMO.

-----------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

ArmedBear
June 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
climbing, descending, or overcoming some obstacles

That would be most of the time here. At the same time, you might jump a deer at any moment.

That's the catch-22 the Safari Sling is supposed to help with.

Furthermore, the traditional shoulder carry gets the gun hung up on all sorts of things, but when hunting rough, hilly, boulder-filled overgrown brush country, I sometimes need my hands for something other than holding my rifle.

LAK
June 15, 2007, 07:04 AM
I can see your points.

Unless ascending or descending terrain that requires four point contact - such as an extremely steep incline or decline, rock cliff formation, very unstable ground etc - I prefer to carry a rifle or shotgun in one hand at the balance point, and make use of three points of contact as needed.

koja48
June 15, 2007, 10:19 AM
Never used one, but it does look promising . . . great way to get your rifle in the ready position in short order.

H&Hhunter
June 15, 2007, 01:27 PM
I've used the Safari sling extensively.

The older models were well thought out and worked fairly well. On the newer model they went with a wider strap and modified the way the sling attaches to the gun in several ways.

The new model Safari sling is a WASTE of time. The way it's been redesigned doesn't allow the gun to slide free as easy as it used to and twice I've had it snag at very inopportune times causing me to lose a shot opportunity.

The up side to the system is that it makes for a nice way to carry a rifle in several ways. The prime factor being is distributes the weight of the rifle nicely across your body alleviating shoulder strap cut as with a conventional sling.

The other nice thing about it is it allows for various carry positions such as muzzle down carry and it allows you to slide the gun onto your back very easily for crawling or belly crawling. It is also very handy for rough country carry but not more so than a good conventional sling.

What it doesn't do is give you a bullet proof fast deployment ability as advertised.

I've gone back to a conventional sling that spends most of it's time in a back pack or a pocket and I only use it when i am traveling and not hunting. If I am hunting I carry the rifle sans sling. I find that to be the most effective.

Overall I find the safari sling to be a gimmick and not worth the time or trouble. If they'd have stayed with the old design I'd recommend it but like many great products some executive decided to change it for the sake of change and completely screwed this product up.

ArmedBear
June 15, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback, H&H!

Is it possible that they changed the design back to the original or similar?

Cabela's customer feedback was quite positive, and sounded more like how you described the original. Then again, maybe the raters hadn't used it enough to find out the downsides.

Or is the one in the picture the version you had and didn't work well for you?

Here, we have the interesting combination of rough country, boulders, hills, canyons, thick brush, and some pretty long shots at sparse game.

So, my 9 lb. scoped full-sized bolt gun is appropriate for the shots I might have to take, but a real PITA to carry, especially one-handed, for any real length of time.

I prefer to carry a rifle or shotgun in one hand at the balance point, and make use of three points of contact as needed.

Agreed. With just about any other gun than that one!:)

H&Hhunter
June 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
The picture is of the new model.

As far as a comfortable sling in rough country they are a very nice product. And they carry great with a back pack. Way less hassle than a conventional sling. Just don't think you are going to be able to take snap shots from the slung position with that thing. It's about a 50/50 deal on whether it will snag or not.

No they haven't gone back to the old style. I actually wrote them a letter explaining to them the short comings of the new model. I got back the old "thanks for interest" reply.

The other downfall is that sling cannot be used as a shooting aid.

ArmedBear
June 15, 2007, 02:50 PM
The other downfall is that sling cannot be used as a shooting aid.

That was one of my first thoughts, when I looked at the picture. My Super Sling isn't fancy, or especially comfortable, but it sure is functional as a shooting aid. And I can whip the slung rifle off my back and around to shoot pretty quickly, if I have to.

BTW how does "African Carry" work?

H&Hhunter
June 16, 2007, 02:37 AM
how does "African Carry" work?

Bear,

Are you referring to the old African style of carry with the rifle carry over the shoulder and the shooter holding the muzzle?

If that is the case it works great except that unless you are in the front of the pack you are always pointing your gun at somebody. I use this style a lot when just traveling. But when in the thick of it in dangerous game country the rifle is in my strong hand carried on the balance point.

When the SHTF I simply raise the rifle to shooting position while sliding the tang safety to the fire position in one smooth motion. Of course this only works "really" fast with a well fit and well worn double rifle.;)

If you are referring to the old Capstick trick of carrying the rifle muzzle up action forward on the front of the body slung off the weak hand side. I'd have to admit that I've never tried it for very long as it drives me nuts trying to keep the rifle in the right spot on my shoulder.

I hope that answered you question as I am not 100% sure as to what you are referring to with the term African carry. :)

huntinstuff
June 21, 2007, 09:28 PM
I have and use the old style and realy like it. I can carry it all day and no shoulder stress etc....

As for quick shots, we don't have those here. "Gun Ready" isn't something I need. Comfort yes.

If im with a buddy, I do prefer the shoulder strap sling just to aid in muzzle control better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safari Sling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!