Pistol permit to buy?

PDA

Gun lover
June 12, 2007, 02:19 AM
I live in Minnesota and was wondering if anyone here knows what is needed to buy pistols in this state?Do I need to take a special class or something?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol permit to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PattonTime
June 12, 2007, 02:32 AM
You need a permit to acquire. To get that you need to apply to you local police chief. Or you can get a permit to ccw which requires certified classes
range time and a $100.00 fee and a one month wait to your county sheriff
By the way the permit to aquire is free and is good for one year

Gun lover
June 12, 2007, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the info..

kingpin008
June 12, 2007, 03:44 AM
This should probably be moved to the appropriate category.

Mannix
June 12, 2007, 03:52 AM
If you're over 18 you can buy a handgun from a private party, but they will have to notify the local PD and get clearance, it can take up to 5 business days. If you're 21 you can buy a gun from an FFL(federal law, not state), but you'll need to undergo the standard 7-day background check and waiting period.

THE PERMIT IS NOT NEEDED

It is just there so you don't need to undergo the waiting period everytime you buy a handgun/assault weapon. Yes, there is a legal definition of assault weapon in Minnesota law and they are regulated on the same level as handguns, which just means you have to be 18 to buy one. The permit is good for 1 year, if you get your permit to carry it is good for 5 years and allows you to purchase as well.

Apparently I was wrong.

Phantom Warrior
June 12, 2007, 06:01 AM
There is no waiting period if you have a carry permit. I bought two guns while I was home on leave, one from a small shop and one from a Gander Mountain. Both times I walked in, they asked to see my carry permit, I filled out the paperwork, and I walked out with the gun.

I think a permit to purchase is the same. I can't say for sure, because all my guns have been bought with my carry permit.

Mannix
June 12, 2007, 06:51 AM
The laws says they are equal when it comes to buying, so I would assume so.

Click here to see law (http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/getpub.php?pubtype=STAT_CHAP_SEC&year=current&section=624.7131&image.x=0&image.y=0&image=Get+Section=)
Subd. 9. Permit to carry. A valid permit to carry issued pursuant to section 624.714
constitutes a transferee permit for the purposes of this section and section 624.7132.

So basically if you pay for the permit, no waiting and no background checks.

Srigs
June 12, 2007, 08:06 AM
A FFL will still do a background check if you have a carry permit because ours does NOT meet the requirement for no background check.

A permit to purchase or carry permit means you can take the gun home the same visit. If you don't have one, you can still buy one but will have to wait to pick it up 5 to 7 days.

Hope this helps.

Gun lover
June 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
How long doe's it usually take to get your permit to purchase from the time you submit your application with the sheriffs department.

BBsteel
June 12, 2007, 09:52 AM
It takes one week for them to perform a background check and for you to come in and pick up your permit.

- go to the sherrif's office in the city you live in
- ask for the permit to purchase handgun form
- fill it out and hand it to the administrator right then and there
- he/she will tell you to stop back for it in one week

Then it is good for a year and there is no wait period when buying

p.s. I live in MN too and have mine.

Gun lover
June 12, 2007, 11:02 AM
I've been searching all over web for these answers and I got all the info I need.Thanks a million guy's.

halvey
June 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
- go to the sherrif's office in the city you live in For a permit to purchase, if you live in a city, you go to your local police department and they issue the permit to purchase.

If you live in a township ("in the country" for you Ely types), you go to your sheriff.

For a carry permit, you always go to the sheriff.

And there's no waiting period. The 5-7 days is usually store policy (it can be longer) so you have time to get your permit to purchase. The 5-7 days isn't law.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol permit to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!