Dog thread 2: Introducing new dog to adult?

PDA

ArmedBear
June 12, 2007, 02:12 PM
Anyone have experience with bringing home a puppy (8 weeks) and introducing it to an adult (5 years)?

They are both high-energy dogs, different breeds, opposite sexes. They're going to live inside with us and get their exercise outdoors.

Current dog is very attached to us, especially me. She's very human-oriented, though she likes other high-energy dogs.

Any tricks up your collective sleeves?:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Dog thread 2: Introducing new dog to adult?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Liberty1776
June 12, 2007, 03:40 PM
YES!!! -- IMPORTANT!!! Do it outside. Have the older dog out on your lawn, and have the puppy brought or walked up to it. let them meet, and get friendly - then let em play for 5 minutes...
allow the older dog to make friends with the puppy and then "lead" the puppy into the house. ("inviting my new friend home") the older dog must enter first! otherwise there will be trouble, seriously...

oh, and -- get them neutered.

koja48
June 12, 2007, 10:39 PM
What Lib said . . . but be advised that at some point in time, a pecking order will be established . . .

Bwana John
June 13, 2007, 10:23 AM
I have the same thing coming up.
I have a 3 year old female lab. I am getting a 16 month old male lab (it is very sad, my youngest brother just died-I am adopting his dog)
I am worryed about them geting along.
I think I will introduce them in a nuetral area.
I am geting LOTS of new toys.
Feeding will take place away from the house the first couple of times, but they will be fed together.
I am going to try to exercise them to exaustion the first week.

Any other suggestions?

Len
June 13, 2007, 10:59 AM
Good news for you, Bear! I'm envious.

I've had to introduce three "series" of pups to current dogs. Short list of things to consider:

1. Breed of the dogs may make a difference. "One master" dogs are a little more difficult to introduce to a new puppy.

2. In some dogs, age of the newbie may make a difference. Some older dogs may do better with a new puppy then a grownup dog.

3. Outside introduction is a good idea. Make sure you can control the older dog at first, but keep in mind that some dogs get aggressive when they feel held back on a lead in the presence of other animals. It may be a necessary evil, though.

4. The "sorting out the pecking order" comment is right on. Some dogs naturally fit into a current pack, some have to engage in "snarlfests" at first. My two last labs had to go through that. It took weeks to get to the point that the order was established...but there were no actual contact fights, just barking. The best situation is for the two dogs to recognize you as the pack leader...not for them to lord it over each other.

5. I feed all my dogs at the same time, but separately. Just my preference. Why instill another competition amongst dogs if you don't really have to? Also, my dogs have different food requirements as to amount. Saves me the possibility of one dog raiding the other's food.

6. Depending on the breed, eight weeks can be the perfect time to get a puppy. But you have to remember that the early weeks from birth to "x" weeks is when the puppy bonds with others of its species...after that you want to switch the bonding from dog/dog to dog/human. It's the basis of future work and handling with the dog.

7. Therefore, get a crate. You have to balance the need of an open household with two dogs, but want the puppy to spend most of its time with humans at first. Until you have done that, and you know you can trust the dogs to be with each other, crate the puppy when you're not in direct contact. Give them each quality time, and don't forget that the older dog is going to need more attention, too, since it may act neglected if you spend too much time with the puppy, which is the temptation. It's also going to help with housebreaking too.

8. They may just get along from day one, though, and all of this could be useless advice.

Hope this helps, and have fun.

Len

Kingcreek
June 13, 2007, 11:34 AM
Len's advice on the crate is right on.
The older dog will not feel threatened and will get a break from all the puppy stuff. at some point, as the pup grows, there will be a challenge and dominance may be established. It can happen more than once, but usually things settle out and each dog accepts thier place. Let your older dog establish it's natural dominance now, and the 2 dogs will sort it out between themselves later. If the pup is an intact male (not neutered), you can expect more problems later.
Definitely feed seperately. With some dogs, feeding order is very important- ie dominant dog gets food first.

phantomak47
June 13, 2007, 06:11 PM
I introduced my Boxer(female) to my brother in laws Golden Retriever the wrong way and it didnt turn out good. Besides having them meet outside, make sure that there isnt anyway that the new dog can get cornered, my Boxer pinned him down in a corner and it wasnt nice. That was a few weeks ago, now there in my backyard playing and they even sleep together when I keep him for my brother in law.

Another thing is watch that dog whisperer he will teach you a lot on pack mentality.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dog thread 2: Introducing new dog to adult?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!