Sliding sight on M/N M44

PDA

SaaM
June 13, 2007, 01:43 PM
I appear to have the exact opposite problem as everyone else in the world. My front sight on my M44 is loose and slides to either side during shooting.

How do I tighten it up without damaging it to the point where I can't move it again? When the marks line up, it's fairly accurate. But every here and there I notice my shots drifting hard left (or missing completely) and I know it's time to try to move the (very hot) sight back.

Anyone else have this issue and a good fix?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sliding sight on M/N M44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DMK
June 13, 2007, 02:31 PM
I'd try heating and crushing the crossbar slightly in a vice to make it oval out a bit.

SaaM
June 13, 2007, 02:54 PM
Which part is the cross bar? The dovetail on the sight or the slot into which it rests?

Sunray
June 13, 2007, 03:05 PM
Change the sight or try shimming. Staking it in place is the best thing though.

Cosmoline
June 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
The dovetail on the sight is the ONLY part you should be messing with . The slot is part of the barrel and is harder steel by far. The sight is soft steel and can be replaced for a few bucks. In the past I've had good luck holding it in a vice and mashing the edges out along the sides to give it more gripping contact. If the gap is really big you can add a shim.

SaaM
June 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
Thank you all. I shall vise it a little today. There's a place down the road I can pick up front sights if I hose it up, so I'm not worried about my lack of skill with anything approaching a power tool.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sliding sight on M/N M44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!