Senator's Reply

PDA

ptmmatssc
June 13, 2007, 07:02 PM
Senator answered a letter I sent . Here it is . Let me know what you think .

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to increased gun control measures in the wake of the tragedy at Virginia Tech. I appreciate hearing from you.

I was deeply saddened by the horrific events which occurred on the Virginia Tech campus on April 16, 2007, and you may be interested to know that the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, of which I am the Ranking Member, held a hearing on April 23, 2007, to address issues related to security preparations on college campuses across the nation.

During the hearing, my Senate colleagues and I heard from college administrators, campus public safety officials, and mental health counselors, who cited a number of measures being implemented to protect those who live, work, and study on college campuses. In addition, these witnesses put forth a number of recommendations aimed at making our campuses safer. These recommendations include providing additional resources to increase campus counseling services and an improved communications system to alert the campus community to security problems. I remain committed to making our institutions of higher education as safe as possible for our students, school personnel, and community at large.

Throughout my tenure in the Senate, I have consistently defended the Second Amendment, and I oppose the legislation that would restrict the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. I grew up in northern Main where responsible gun ownership is a part of the heritage of most families. Denying the rights of law-abiding citizens will not change the behavior of those who misuse firearms for criminal purposes . Our laws should be directed toward those who misuse firearms , not law abiding citizens , and you may be assured that I will continue to support the rights of responsible gun owners .

Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Collins
United States Senator

Bold is mine . Not often you get a public official to say something like that these days . I'm still on the fence about my rep . Need to really look more closely at her voting record to see just how sincere she is .

Btw , I sent a letter to all my reps when there was talk of making all college campuses off limits for firearms , or at least allow them to disregard state law and make their own "laws" . This irked me particularly since they receive fed and state money ( our taxes) , and to me , they should abide by state and fed laws since they are a public institution .

If you enjoyed reading about "Senator's Reply" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ratzinger_p38
June 13, 2007, 07:04 PM
We need to continue this. My congressman is already a strong pro-gun, heck I even saw him at Kroger in Springfield Ohio and thanked him for his good pro-gun record.

Kali Endgame
June 13, 2007, 07:27 PM
Is this a form letter? I could have sworn I read an almost verbatem letter from another legislator.
Since I traded Fientein/Boxer for Reid, I'm not too optomistic.

ptmmatssc
June 13, 2007, 07:36 PM
Well , looking it over , it seems to be actually typed and signed in pen .

wjustinen
June 13, 2007, 07:36 PM
was any reference to allowing licenced individuals to carry on campus. Did you address that issue?

ptmmatssc
June 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yes I did . That was the whole point of the letters I sent out . The intent was to prevent the colleges from implementing their own policy denying carry , or any weapons for that matter , on campus .

Car Knocker
June 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
I grew up in northern Main where
A Senator really should be able to spell the name of the state she represents.:D

ptmmatssc
June 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
Lol , car knocker , MY mistake . Typed out the letter to post it . must have missed that "e" . So sue me . And yes , it is spelled correctly in the letter .

wjustinen
June 13, 2007, 09:29 PM
reference to allowing licenced individuals to carry on campus. Did you address that issue?

Yes I did . That was the whole point of the letters I sent out . The intent was to prevent the colleges from implementing their own policy denying carry , or any weapons for that matter , on campus .

I suppose I would have replied with a "thanks for the prompt response, but what are you doing to remove the victim disarmament zones?"

In any event, keep up the good work.

ptmmatssc
June 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
Just got the letter today so haven't had time to respond to it . Am writing up a follow up letter to push that particular subject. If college students are adult enough to decide their future , then they are adult enough to legally carry , in my opinion . heck , we don't turn em away when they enlist do we ?

Owens
June 13, 2007, 10:43 PM
one thing jumps off the page at me:

and mental health counselors, who cited a number of measures being implemented to protect those who live, work, and study on college campuses

What safety measure would they suggest? not provoking? BAHHHHHH!

Kali Endgame
June 14, 2007, 01:59 AM
ptmmatssc,
I wasn't bashing the letter. I remember another poster with nearly identical verbage from their legislator. So, I wondered aloud if this was a typical; "I kind of support your Rights, so vote for me" letter. That was all.

modifiedbrowning
June 14, 2007, 02:27 AM
Need to really look more closely at her voting record to see just how sincere she is .
Collins is a RINO.

ptmmatssc
June 14, 2007, 07:32 AM
Kali , didn't think you were "bashing the letter" . i know most letters that people receive are actually form letters , and assuming it was is not unreasonable .

Btw , did look up some of her voting record . Was able to find the following . Doesn't seem to be to bad , and could always be better .

* Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
* Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
* Voted NO on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
* Voted YES on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)
* Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
* Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks. (Jul 1998)
* Rated B+ by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Dec 2003)

If you enjoyed reading about "Senator's Reply" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!