US Defense Department pushing for Illegal Alien Amnesty

PDA

teotwawki
June 13, 2007, 07:23 PM
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=46369

Officials Hope to Rekindle Interest in Immigration Bill Provision
By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, June 11, 2007 – A senior defense official expressed hope today that a provision in the stalled immigration bill that would have allowed some undocumented aliens to join the military won’t fall off the radar screen.

The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, or DREAM, provision in the immigration bill was expected to help boost military recruiting, Bill Carr, acting deputy undersecretary of defense for military personnel policy, said today during a telephone conference with veterans’ group representatives.

The DREAM provision offered a way for high-achieving children of undocumented or illegal residents to join the military and, ultimately, become citizens, Carr explained.

“In other words, if you had come across (the border) with your parents, yet you were a minor child and have been in the U.S. school system for a number of years, then you could be eligible to enlist,” he said. “And at the end of that enlistment, then you would be eligible to become a citizen.”

Because the provision would have applied only to the “cream of the crop” of students who have demonstrated top aptitude, it would have been “very appealing” to the military, Carr said. “It would have been good for readiness,” he said.

While President Bush returns to Washington to help revive the stalled immigration reform package, Carr said talk is already taking place to see if at least the DREAM provision of the stalled bill can proceed.

At this point, he said, “we are not sure if the Congress would be interested in resurrecting that segment of the bill.”

Certain non-citizens have been eligible to enlist in the military since the Revolutionary War. Today, about 35,000 non-citizens serve in the military, and about 8,000 permanent resident aliens enlist every year, said Marine Maj. Stuart Upton, a Pentagon spokesman.

The 2006 National Defense Authorization Act established uniform citizenship or residency requirements for enlisting in the military. President Bush's executive order allowing non-citizens to apply for citizenship after only one day of active-duty military service remains in effect, Upton said.

If you enjoyed reading about "US Defense Department pushing for Illegal Alien Amnesty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oohrah
June 13, 2007, 07:42 PM
NO DEALS Shut the boarders. Deport all the illegals back to
prospective countries. Those who wish to enter submit paper
work and meet requirements to emigrate. Anything less is a
danger andn an insult:fire::fire::fire:

davec
June 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
The US Military likes a deep pool of available labor as well, who knew.

ArmedBear
June 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
I thought that, in the past, it was a way to get legal residency and a path to citizenship, if you volunteered for the US military.

Hey, why not?

That can be put in place, by itself. Doesn't have to be part of any other legislation.

teotwawki
June 13, 2007, 08:29 PM
Do you really want people who cannot speak your language, like at all, policing your street? You know that posse commitatus is basically considered BS by the goobermint at this point right?

Maybe I'm wearing my tinfoil hat too tight but this does not bode well. In history when empires have to bring in mercenaries from other places to do their bidding it's the beginning of the end....

longeyes
June 13, 2007, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the Dept. of Defense knew what it was defending? All I see is career bureaucrats defending their turf and trying to hit quota numbers.

lamazza
June 13, 2007, 08:56 PM
+1 Dick Tylock

ENFORCE OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS president Smirk!

Boats
June 13, 2007, 08:59 PM
Some of the comments in this thread are just ignorant, and others pretty apt.

When I was in the Navy in the late 80s, we had a smattering of Filipinos, a guy from Saipan, and a Truk Islander all serving aboard and coming away with the prospect of citizenship in the United States.

Sure, two of those places were Protectorates of the United States at the time but the Phillipines was not.

Sure they spoke accented English, but they were understandable.

Far be it from me to damn a guy who wants to join the tribe and pay more dues to belong than much of the citizenry he hopes to become a part of EVER does.

Four years' service in the military far outstrips any duty that most "native" Americans bother to offer back to the greatest country on Earth.

The apt comment is that such a citizenship opportunity need not be a part of any omnibus immigration "reform."

I'd sooner call an "illegal immigrant" who served alongside me a "brother" than some dimwit grousing about said man's presence in the military from the safety of momma's basement office.

And since when is earning your keep in service to a country an amnesty? It's not like someone can sneak into the armed forces.

theken206
June 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
good post, boats

jnojr
June 13, 2007, 09:15 PM
They have to come up with warm bodies to feed into the Islamofascist meat grinder somehow, and there aren't enough Americans willingly signing up...

Boats
June 13, 2007, 09:22 PM
That'd be a failure of Army marketing. The other three services have hit their goals with boring regularity.

tube_ee
June 13, 2007, 09:24 PM
Good on 'ya, Boats.

We had Filipinos, a couple of Nigerians, and many others on my ship. Whether they were citizens or not when they shipped out, I don't know, and it doesn't matter. What I do know is that by the time their term was up, they had proved their loyalty to this country, and their worthiness to be citizens of it, far more than any number of native-born citizens who sat on their butts, reaping all of the benefits of being an American, but paying none of the costs. Except taxes, which they likely complained about.

Anybody, no matter where they're from, who's willing to pledge their "lives, fortunes, and sacred honor" to this country for 8 years, has earned the right to be called an American. Maybe more should be given that chance?

-Shannon
STG2, USS Ingraham (FFG-61), 1994-2000

teotwawki
June 13, 2007, 09:36 PM
When I was in the Cav we had a few Pillipinos that were damn good soldiers, no doubt. Keep in mind that they didn't have Mara Salvatrucha tatoos either...

Times have changed.

Autolycus
June 13, 2007, 09:45 PM
Well teotwawki remember who created Mara Salvatrucha soldiers.

I am sorry but we should go back to the original immigration laws when this country was founded, just swear allegiance to the US. If it can work for gun laws it can work for immigration laws.

mordechaianiliewicz
June 13, 2007, 10:46 PM
I wonder if Emperor Honorius, when he was watching the Huns cross the 7th Hill, knew the Empire was about to fall.....

wingman
June 13, 2007, 10:49 PM
Anybody, no matter where they're from, who's willing to pledge their "lives, fortunes, and sacred honor" to this country for 8 years, has earned the right to be called an American. Maybe more should be given that chance?

Sure if they come here legal or agree to join the military prior to entering
the country. I served also but I do not believe "illegal immigrants" should be
allowed to enter the service.

Glock Glockler
June 13, 2007, 10:53 PM
Tecumseh,

You never answered my question from a previous debate "how will bringing in 10s of millions of low-skill/low-wage 3rd worlders help reduce the welfare state"?

Autolycus
June 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
Well I want to know why they do not have the same rights as others who came into the country? Why is it so costly to become a US citizen it prohibits immigrants from doing it? When this country was founded it did not cost anything? Why cant we go back to that?

So Count Glockula how did it hurt to let the Irish and Italians to come here? What about the Dutch and Germans? What about the Polish and Eastern Europeans? The Chinese and Japanese?

Cheap labor is good for the economy.

Glock Glockler
June 13, 2007, 11:15 PM
Why is it so costly to become a US citizen it prohibits immigrants from doing it?

Uhhh, because of the welfare state that has been built up.

When this country was founded it did not cost anything? Why cant we go back to that?

Yeah, back then there was no welfare state, if you didnt work you starved, there bottom wiping by the Feds.

Should I assume you've never done algebra?

torpid
June 13, 2007, 11:21 PM
So Count Glockula how did it hurt to let the Irish and Italians to come here? What about the Dutch and Germans? What about the Polish and Eastern Europeans? The Chinese and Japanese?

Did you mean Glock Glockler?

Know your target. ;)

Grey54956
June 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
Cheap labor is generally good for the economy. However, once the illegal aliens are granted some form of legal status, minimum wage laws will have to apply to them, too.

Poof, no more cheap labor.

Unless you want to suggest that minimum wage laws don't apply to legal, guest workers. If that's the case, minimum wage laws make it undesireable for American companies to actually hire American citizens.

So, maybe the end result of giving amnesty to illegal aliens is the necessary repeal of minimum wage laws so that low skilled American labor can compete with low skilled guest worker labor for increasingly smaller wages.

But to do that, we would also have to dispose to welfare and assistance programs, otherwise it simply isn't worth it to actually work as doing nothing can actually pay better.

Of course, maybe the answer is simple. Illegal aliens are illegal. Hiring them is illegal. Sheltering them is illegal. Using someone else's SSN# to get a job is identity theft, as is illegal. The simple answer is to send them home, or make things so painful for them here that they want to leave.

teotwawki
June 13, 2007, 11:25 PM
Yep when my grandparents came through Ellis Island there was no support net that cost gazillions of bucks a year. Sink or swim. Do away with the giveaways and I betya we wouldn't have this problem to begun with...

Nevermind that the illegal's support structure paid by us is basically corporate welfare...

Standing Wolf
June 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the Dept. of Defense knew what it was defending?

It's not defending anything but its own vast power and wealth.

Frog48
June 13, 2007, 11:34 PM
When I was in the Navy in the late 80s, we had a smattering of Filipinos, a guy from Saipan, and a Truk Islander all serving aboard and coming away with the prospect of citizenship in the United States.

But I would bet that they entered the country, and subsequently the Navy, through legal channels.

I have no problems with foreign nationals entering our country LEGALLY. Nor do I take issue with them enlisting in our armed forces by proper means, be it entering the country on a "green card" and then enlisting, or agreeing to enlist prior to entering the country.

Fast-tracking the process for illegal immigrants in unequitable to all the people that have endured the bureaucratic red tape and jumped through the hoops to get here legally, and those patiently waiting for their opportunity to do the same.

nemoaz
June 14, 2007, 12:03 AM
we had a smattering of Filipinos, a guy from Saipan, and a Truk Islander all serving aboard and coming away with the prospect of citizenship in the United States.

Uhhh, hate to tell you there boats, but those folks were all nationals (or maybe citizens) already. For our purposes, nationals have the same rights as citizen anyway, although Filipinos are no longer considered nationals.

However, the military has always had resident aliens in service. I served with a Brit and an Aussie who were legal US residents.

teotwawki
June 14, 2007, 12:10 AM
Are these the kinds of kids you want learning how to use advanced weaponry? For those who read Spanish you can read all of this, even for those who don't read a few lines on this board:

http://foros.hispavista.com/__6__/1706/331460/m/aqui-pura-mara-salvatrucha-13/

This is the Mara Salvatruchas 13/18 having a pissing contest on a forum...

And I'll tell you this: what you read in Spanish (if thats what you can call it - b/c it's serious slang) is much worse than the stuff in Spanglish...

jeepmor
June 14, 2007, 12:21 AM
As much as I think they are putting a drain on our system. I'm for them joining the military and fighting for our cause, (as EFF'D up as the current one is with the current thugs in office) and joining our ranks. They learn english, a skill, and become AMERICAN and cast off their corrupt nation's dysfunction and join ours.

If they are committed enough to a new way of life to become American through the military, they deserve respect. I think it is a good filter. Plus, you know our military will be dumping guns in their hands straight away and sending them to Iraq. That's a damn good indicator of their willingness to fight for American freedoms in my book.

jeepmor

longeyes
June 14, 2007, 12:25 AM
The real problem isn't aliens, it's alienation.

How many of our own have a clue about the core political principles this nation was founded on? Citizen has been replaced by Consumer, nerve by nerve-endings.

stevelyn
June 14, 2007, 12:48 AM
I guess DOD needs to find other sources of cannon fodder.:barf:

oobray
June 14, 2007, 12:54 AM
I'm going to have to agree. If you can speak understandable english, and you want to joing our military especially in wartime. I think you deserve citizenship, and obviously desire it.

teotwawki
June 14, 2007, 01:17 AM
that or tactical knowledge to use on the streets against LEO's or rival gangs.

LAK Supply
June 14, 2007, 01:21 AM
I've seen a few statements regarding the citizenship requirements a couple of centuries ago, as well as a few that are targeted towards "cheap" labor.

First off, the people (like my German great-grandfather) that came here in times past were here to be Americans, not Mexicans/South Americans living in America. The enormous cost of education, incarceration/court system, health care, and other social services did not exist then.

The first priority on my G-grandparents' list was getting a job, followed closely by learning English. They proudly considered themselves American, and they wouldn't have dreamt of flying German flags in front of their homes/businesses and stealing from the citizens here in the form of leeching off of the system.

They also did not, for the most part, bring a corrupt culture with them. They came here for a better life as part of another culture and they were willing to do what it took to assimilate. This is not the case today, and for anyone who wants to argue otherwise you should come to my neck of the woods (San Joaquin Valley, CA) to see first-hand the damage of another culture invading. Rest easy in other parts of the country today, but rest assured..... it's coming to you.

As far as "cheap" labor goes..... there is no such thing here in America. Every "cheap" laborer more than makes up for his low wages when he takes from the system. I think the tradeoff is $1 for $3......

cloudkiller
June 14, 2007, 11:09 PM
We had a Jewish Mafia, an Irish Mafia an Italian Mafia... immigrants in the past did not bring a corrupt culture? The fact is poverty breeds crime. Our poor people already have high crime rates. Other nation's poor people have high crime rates.

The reason German Immigrants are not a fair comparison to Mexican/Latin American immigrants is because German Immigrants were largely more educated and better off than most other immigrant groups.

The average 19th and early 20th century immigrant family took TWO GENERATIONS to learn English and Assimilate.

Pretty much everything about language/culture/values and assimilation being said today about Mexicans was said about Italians, and Poles, and Irishmen and others.

I am very concerned about language assimilation and cultural assimilation. HOWEVER, in American history it seems the immigrants are the ones who revive the concept of the American dream, not the locals who have grown cynical and indifferent to the system.

teotwawki
June 14, 2007, 11:46 PM
One of these things is not like the other
One of these things, just isn't the same
Can you tell me which thing is not like the other?

If you enjoyed reading about "US Defense Department pushing for Illegal Alien Amnesty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!