5.45x39

PDA

hrgrisso
June 14, 2007, 04:26 PM
5.45x39 = cheapest bulk ammo available right now. I'm of a mind to stock up (lotsarounds). But I don't have a rifle for it :o ... So color me embarrassed that I'm even considering it.

Now the question, who makes the best or a high quality semi auto rifle in this round? I hear the WASR-2's are junk. I don't know. So can somone point me in the right direction? I live in Free America so I want high caps. I know that DPMS makes a rifle in the caliber, but they don't sell high cap mags.

Suggestions?

Oh and if you have a suggestion do you know anywhere selling one currently?

If you enjoyed reading about "5.45x39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buck00
June 14, 2007, 04:45 PM
WASR-2s are ok but you get what you pay for.

Check out Ohio Rapid Fire:

http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=5739476.7902*nm6dg1&product=Complete_AK_Rifles&cart_id=5739476.7902*144gB8

Nomad, 2nd
June 14, 2007, 04:51 PM
After trying SEVERAL WASR2's with no luck (Ok, bad luck)

I ordered one of these: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=367

They come highly recommended, and I have used the 7.62x39 version and was impressed.

Outlaws
June 14, 2007, 05:56 PM
Arsenal.

hrgrisso
June 14, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hey all thanks for getting back to me so quickly! These links and suggestions are awesome (sorry, I'm exhausted and thrilled to have some avenues to explore). One last question as I look further into your recommendations, how easy are spare parts/accessories to come by for those recommended thus far? Obviously most are AK mods but just curious.

Oh and I correct my original post. DPMS does NOT make a 5.45.:mad:

Nomad, 2nd
June 14, 2007, 08:39 PM
Accessories are easy... for parts... just buy a parts kit. (It'll be a little more than a 47 though)

ATC
June 14, 2007, 09:12 PM
If you want a good quality 74, bear in mind that kits (and therefor complete rifles) are drying up. If you can avoid it, I wouldn't let too much time go by before making a purchase before all that are left are WASR-2 rifles.

hrgrisso
June 14, 2007, 09:29 PM
Again thanks all! You've been a great help.

Nomad - Thanks for your input. I've appreciated reading your posts on the trainings that you've attended and your critiques of various equipment.

ATC - Getting stuck with that could be a terrible thing indeed... :evil:
I think that would be kinda like "all you get for Christmas is your mothing in law visiting!*"

If anyone else sees something that should be on this list but isn't, feel free to keep adding, I'm hoping to buy my rifle in the next month to six weeks.

* For the record I love my mother in law... It's my Grandmother in Law I'm not terribly fond of...

spartacus2002
June 14, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'm interested in one; what is some good noncorrosive milspec ammo?

Nomad, 2nd
June 14, 2007, 09:58 PM
All the Milspec's corrosive... so what... clean it.

Wolf is importing it though if you want to pay as much as 7.62x39.

MechAg94
June 14, 2007, 10:22 PM
Wolf is around $150 per case where I have seen it. Close to the same price as steel case .223. I think some of the surplus is down around $120.

I think I'll be getting at least 2K more also. I hate to not buy any with the price so low. It is about the only caliber I have that isn't expensive (relatively). I don't shoot it as much as others, but I will eventually.

MechAg94
June 14, 2007, 10:27 PM
Is that Atlantic Firearms gun built on the Arsenal receiver? I have one I got in Houston with the folding stock. Good rifle. The only issue I had with it is the magwell had to be deburred just a little and it is too narrow to take the fatter polymer coated mags. The bakelites and steel mags fit. Luckily, I have a WASR 2 that had an oversized mag well and only works with the fatter mags. They mesch together very well. :)

I would recommend the solid stock though. Folding stocks don't do much for me.

HorseSoldier
June 15, 2007, 01:33 AM
Now the question, who makes the best or a high quality semi auto rifle in this round?

Get a Tantal from Krebs Customs (http://www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.shtml#TANTAL). Pricey but absolutely great quality. I bought one a while back and it is about the nicest AK type rifle I've owned or handled, including the .mil stuff in my unit's arms room.

rockinrussky
June 15, 2007, 01:47 AM
I've recently bought a WASR 2, had an issue with it as well. The gas port wasn't properly lined up with the barrel so it wouldn't cycle. Century Arms repaired and sent it back in 2 weeks so its been working flawlessly since. If you only have $300 to spend on a rifle and don't mind the hassle of sending it back to get it fixed it should be ok...
As far as the 5.45X39 ammo for it, I've used Wolf Military classic and had a few failures with the five boxes that I've used (the primers tend to be set in a bit too deep). I haven't had any of those problems with anything else by wolf (9mm, 7.62X39, .223) so maybe its just a bad batch? Ah well, I've never heard anything bad about those big tin cans of Bulgarian milsurp so I would go for that. Hope that helps.

Prince Yamato
June 15, 2007, 02:19 AM
Well, I have a WASR-2 and yes, it was problemed, but fixed very quickly. For a $300 rifle, it's pretty neat. It's the feel of an AK with the recoil of a Selectric Typewriter.

If you enjoyed reading about "5.45x39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!