Are you a member of NJCSD?

PDA

Antipasta
June 14, 2007, 08:18 PM
A few months ago a poster suggested that NJ residents should support the New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense. I checked their website and it looked to be a worthwhile organization so I sent my check in and applied to become a member. Well, my check was promptly cashed, but after numerous e-mails and written requests, I've yet to hear from them or receive any type of reply. The site appears to be updated so someone is apparently "home." Has anyone else had any experience with them? So far, I'm not impressed. Thanks for any help you can give.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you a member of NJCSD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nomad101bc
June 14, 2007, 08:22 PM
This is why I dont join any local gun lobby group only the NRA. I think you might have been had; I listen to the NRA radio station and never before have I heard of that group.

CDignition
June 14, 2007, 08:25 PM
NJ is dead to me.,lol

Highland Ranger
June 14, 2007, 09:06 PM
I think they are (were?) a real group.

Someone on here used to be active . . . . just did a search - there are a bunch of threads with people claiming affiliation and it looks like they are connected to the ANJPC which is the state NRA org and is real.

Here is their contact page: http://www.njcsd.org/component/option,com_contact/catid,13/Itemid,3/

I recall the Ray fellow being active here on THR.

Antipasta
June 14, 2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks, Highland Ranger. They don't appear to be "fly by night," but I wonder how much advocacy one can expect from them when they don't respond to a simple inquiry. A $36 lesson that will hopefully save someone else money. Is ANJPC the one in Cherry Ridge? I think it's the other one I belong to and the membership discount at my gun store (Harry's A&N) has more than made up for the dues.

MechAg94
June 14, 2007, 09:35 PM
Sounds like they need to consult with the Texas State Rifle Association. The TSRA is very active.

Highland Ranger
June 14, 2007, 09:46 PM
Yup, ANJRPC runs the Cherry Ridge range up on 23.

They've got an infusion of young blood and are a lot more active than they were a few years ago.

Changing of the guard at the range has also made things better there as well.

Handy for me as I live close, not sure what part of the state you are in, but it may be worth the trip.

I've shot at Ray's on 22 and Riverdale Police Pistol range; Riverdale isn't a bad range, Ray's needs a major overhaul. I pretty much just go to Cherry Ridge now, nice to be outside.

Antipasta
June 14, 2007, 10:41 PM
HR - I'm in the south and belong to the Delran Club. A nice friendly place too. Unfortunately I don't get up to your neck of the woods, but Cherry Ridge looks like a nice facility from their newsletter. Yeah, it's great to get outside again!

newman32
June 14, 2007, 11:21 PM
I'll chime in...

I was a member, but let my membership lapse. NJCSD is an actual organization with all the proper non-profit classification and all that.

These are the guys (and girls) who put together the popular and successful "Right to Carry Road Show" where NJ folks could go through the FL CCW process easily and in one place. I volunteered to help @ one of those, and it was a great success.

They all have their hearts in the right places, and have actually done some good stuff.

Not sure why no one has gotten back to you. Did you post on the forum? I know I never got my membership card, even after several inquiries. Not a biggie because I wasn't in it for the wallet-sized card, but it says something about manpower (or lack thereof) to do all that is required in a small organization.

I give them all the credit in the world for doing what they do - IMHO, I just think the entry-fee is a little high for the return.

Antipasta
June 15, 2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Newman32. I'm sure it's as you describe. I guess I was just a little taken back by the lack of follow-up. I'm involved with a non-profit membership organization and I know that supporters won't be supporters for long if we take their money and never acknowledge it. A shame, but common in the non-profit world.

geekWithA.45
June 15, 2007, 03:46 PM
I was one of the NJCSD's founders, though I've not been affiliated with them for years.

They're real, but they're very small, and they're entirely manned by volunteers, who struggle daily with the Sisyphusian task of rolling a boulder uphill so they can squeeze some blood from the stone, only to be rewarded by having their livers eaten by buzzards.

I apologize on their behalf, and unless things have changed _very_ much while I was away, you will be getting an eventual reply.

Antipasta
June 15, 2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks, geekWithA.45. At least I now feel as if the money is going where it was intended.

Rovert
June 15, 2007, 04:23 PM
On behalf of the NJCSD, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

As 'Geek' noted, we're a small organization focused on achieving big things. We try to do an awful lot with very little, managed by only a few, with less and less all the time to work with.

I regret that sometimes things fall through the cracks. We've been trying to transition the membership process to another volunteer, but because that process touches on two others, and also involves a shipping/fulfillment process, as you can imagine, there are some logistics to overcome. And, with every process, the more parts it has, the more things there are to 'break'.

Newman, I remember sending you a card in the mail. If it didn't arrive, I'll gladly get you another one. Maybe we can meet for a beer down at the Wagon Wheel again with Deb.

Again, I regret any inconvenience. Please understand that unlike the NRA or its affiliates, we don't have the deep pockets to work on getting things done, and often that means that sometimes we fall down.

Contact me directly via PM or Email and I'll do my best to set it right.

Regards,
Robert Kreisler
President
New Jersey Coalition for Self Defense
www.njcsd.org

Antipasta
June 15, 2007, 09:56 PM
Thank you, Bob. I appreciate your message and have sent a PM. And thanks to you others for helping me out. Happy Father's Day if it applies!

Antipasta
July 16, 2007, 11:09 PM
I didn't want to leave this thread hanging without letting you all know that Robert Kreisler of NJCSD was very responsive and quickly corrected the oversight. I would encourage other New Jersey gun owners to give them their support. God knows, we need all the help we can get in NJ.

Thanks again, Bob.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you a member of NJCSD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!